What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger King on Netflix (1 Viewer)

In all honesty, doc may be crazy, but people are buying what he’s selling which feeds the fire. He’s far behind the other two in my rankings. 
While I get what you’re saying it’s hard to top a cult leader in the crazy department.  

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/tiger-king-kate-mckinnon-carole-baskin-casting

Yes, Kate McKinnon Is Set to Play Tiger King’s Carole Baskin

But who should play the rest of the cast in the Joe Exotic series based on Wondery’s podcast? We have some suggestions.

Your obsession with Netflix’s latest true-crime masterpiece, will soon be rewarded with more Tiger King. Last fall—long before the Netflix–subscribed masses knew much if anything about polyamorous, big-cat wrangling, former presidential candidate Joe Exotic and his vicious feud with Big Cat Rescue CEO Carole Baskin—Kate McKinnon signed up to star in and executive produce a limited series based on the podcast Joe Exotic. And yes: the Saturday Night Live star will be playing Baskin, a fascinating choice considering the entire cast of Tiger King feels like a particularly bizarre group of SNL characters.

McKinnon’s series will be based on the six-episode Wondery podcast, which is available to listen to now. Like the Netflix docuseries, the podcast follows the life of Baskin, an utterly beguiling, slightly malevolent big-cat enthusiast who wants to rid the U.S. of illegal big-cat zoos.

The show is not yet attached to a network or streamer, which means we don’t know when or where it might premiere. All we do know, really, is that McKinnon will play the lead even though she doesn’t really look like Baskin, nor is she old enough to play her. Still, it will be interesting to see the Emmy winner’s take on the flower-crown-wearing Big Cat Rescue CEO. Just the thought of McKinnon cooing, “Hey all you cool cats and kittens” in front of a crappy green screen is titillating enough.

real question, then, is this: who will fill out the rest of the cast? Somewhere out there, Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are thumb-wrestling to see whose agent gets to reach out about playing Joe Exotic, while David Spade is crafting a really, really long text to McKinnon about their shared SNL ties—and how Exotic “could be a really great Emmys play for me.” Danny McBride already has several wig consultants working on the perfect mullet. Billy Bob Thornton could not be reached for comment. (But he would also make an amazing Rick Kirkham, just sitting in a chic Oslo cafe and sipping an endless cup of coffee—so long as Ed Harris or J.K. Simmons don’t beat him to it.) Sam Rockwell, please sit this one out. You can’t play everything!

And who should play “Doc” Antle, Baskin’s other cultish big-cat nemesis? Perhaps Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet, or comedy legend Steve Martin. Will Ferrell would also be an inspired choice, considering he’s already proven incredible at playing people who do not seem to be quite of this planet. Russell Crowe probably wants to see the script before he considers it, while Christian Bale’s doctor is telling him no, he cannot do another physical transformation for a potential role. Kevin Costner...if you’re reading this...that would be interesting as well. But truly, any of these men would also be great as Jeff Lowe, the rich (but maybe not that rich???) big-cat dirtbag who betrayed Exotic in the end. Jonathan Banks would also nail the role of Lowe’s crooked right-hand man, a more bumble-headed version of Banks’s Breaking Bad character, Mike Ehrmantraut.

For Baskin’s husband, Howard, though, there is only one option: he should obviously be played by Ben Stein. Make it so, TV gods.

I really can’t tell who’s the most crazy between Joe, Carole and Doc.  Basically whomever is on screen at that moment is the one who I think is.   
It's between Carole and Doc IMO.  One of the podcasts I listen to said it best, Doc is just trying to play Charles Manson with tigers instead of acid.  Carole killed her husband and displays an amazing amount of cognitive dissonance.

Joe ends up somewhat sympathetic because A) He seems set up by Jeff and B) when they finally reveal the obvious meth component to all of this.  Sure, he is still a crazy redneck conman.

Carole and Doc for me as well. Carole's laugh and that look in her eyes something is not right.

Also, no one is going to mention Carole's husband looks like Prince Charles.

How about the guy Jeff Lowe?  He is like +50 walking around in those ridiculous jeans.  I can't get over his wardrobe.

And Joe Exotic hit the nail on the head pegging Garrison as a living Chucky doll.  That bowl cut is absolutely disgusting.  Also, him on the Jet Ski reminded me of Kenny Powers.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/tiger-king-kate-mckinnon-carole-baskin-casting

Yes, Kate McKinnon Is Set to Play Tiger King’s Carole Baskin

But who should play the rest of the cast in the Joe Exotic series based on Wondery’s podcast? We have some suggestions.

Your obsession with Netflix’s latest true-crime masterpiece, will soon be rewarded with more Tiger King. Last fall—long before the Netflix–subscribed masses knew much if anything about polyamorous, big-cat wrangling, former presidential candidate Joe Exotic and his vicious feud with Big Cat Rescue CEO Carole Baskin—Kate McKinnon signed up to star in and executive produce a limited series based on the podcast Joe Exotic. And yes: the Saturday Night Live star will be playing Baskin, a fascinating choice considering the entire cast of Tiger King feels like a particularly bizarre group of SNL characters.

McKinnon’s series will be based on the six-episode Wondery podcast, which is available to listen to now. Like the Netflix docuseries, the podcast follows the life of Baskin, an utterly beguiling, slightly malevolent big-cat enthusiast who wants to rid the U.S. of illegal big-cat zoos.

The show is not yet attached to a network or streamer, which means we don’t know when or where it might premiere. All we do know, really, is that McKinnon will play the lead even though she doesn’t really look like Baskin, nor is she old enough to play her. Still, it will be interesting to see the Emmy winner’s take on the flower-crown-wearing Big Cat Rescue CEO. Just the thought of McKinnon cooing, “Hey all you cool cats and kittens” in front of a crappy green screen is titillating enough.

real question, then, is this: who will fill out the rest of the cast? Somewhere out there, Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are thumb-wrestling to see whose agent gets to reach out about playing Joe Exotic, while David Spade is crafting a really, really long text to McKinnon about their shared SNL ties—and how Exotic “could be a really great Emmys play for me.” Danny McBride already has several wig consultants working on the perfect mullet. Billy Bob Thornton could not be reached for comment. (But he would also make an amazing Rick Kirkham, just sitting in a chic Oslo cafe and sipping an endless cup of coffee—so long as Ed Harris or J.K. Simmons don’t beat him to it.) Sam Rockwell, please sit this one out. You can’t play everything!

And who should play “Doc” Antle, Baskin’s other cultish big-cat nemesis? Perhaps Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet, or comedy legend Steve Martin. Will Ferrell would also be an inspired choice, considering he’s already proven incredible at playing people who do not seem to be quite of this planet. Russell Crowe probably wants to see the script before he considers it, while Christian Bale’s doctor is telling him no, he cannot do another physical transformation for a potential role. Kevin Costner...if you’re reading this...that would be interesting as well. But truly, any of these men would also be great as Jeff Lowe, the rich (but maybe not that rich???) big-cat dirtbag who betrayed Exotic in the end. Jonathan Banks would also nail the role of Lowe’s crooked right-hand man, a more bumble-headed version of Banks’s Breaking Bad character, Mike Ehrmantraut.

For Baskin’s husband, Howard, though, there is only one option: he should obviously be played by Ben Stein. Make it so, TV gods.
Dax Shepherd on Twitter angling for the Joe Exotic role.

Sadly, the absolute, no doubt about it perfect person to play Doc would've been Phillip Seymour Hoffman. 

How about the guy Jeff Lowe?  He is like +50 walking around in those ridiculous jeans.  I can't get over his wardrobe.

And Joe Exotic hit the nail on the head pegging Garrison as a living Chucky doll.  That bowl cut is absolutely disgusting.  Also, him on the Jet Ski reminded me of Kenny Powers.
They all had the pervert playbook, get them young because socially/emotionally they were on the same level. I loved seeing his mug shots.

Maybe 2-3 percent of the population will do time for a crime they know they are guilty of and not snitch. Chucky gave up Joe instead of sitting down for a couple of years for an illegal animal. Not even on the same level.

Sadly, the absolute, no doubt about it perfect person to play Doc would've been Phillip Seymour Hoffman. 
Would have been spot on.  Maybe Jim Gaffigan could do it now.

Is everyone sold on the idea that Carole killed her husband?  I think the guy just flew the coop and lived/lives out his days in Costa Rica.

Is everyone sold on the idea that Carole killed her husband?  I think the guy just flew the coop and lived/lives out his days in Costa Rica.
That was my first thought too but with how much the guy valued and hoarded his money there is absolutely no way he just bounced and left Carole with millions.  He’s absolutely dead, it’s just a matter of how and who’s involved.   

He got 19% of the vote!?

1. Oklahoma, wtf. 
2. WalMart campaign manager must be a natural. 
That was the most depressing part of the show.  The last ounce of hope I had for humanity drained right out me when I saw that.  We’re doomed.   

That was my first thought too but with how much the guy valued and hoarded his money there is absolutely no way he just bounced and left Carole with millions.  He’s absolutely dead, it’s just a matter of how and who’s involved.   
Oh for sure it's a real possibility she had him killed.  Although I'd be real surprised if he didn't have other money hidden someplace else.  Possibly already Costa Rica where he visited frequently and could live well on less.  At some point it may have been worth it to leave some behind just to get away from her.

Dax Shepherd on Twitter angling for the Joe Exotic role.

I don’t ‘now his name, but the guy that played Creed on the Office has to play Allen, right? 

Cjw_55106 said:
Guy without legs, gal without arm and campaign guy without a date are the only decent people in the show. 
agree. I thought Joe's last husband was actually an alright dude from the little we saw of him, and his first two husbands and Don Lewis' family and friends all seemed OK.

In order of detestability (worst to least) I rank 'em:

Jeff Lowe

Carol

Fat thumbhead guy who informed to the feds

Doc Antle

Joe

Allen the ex con

Carol's husband (also the most annoying person on the whole show)

The rival animal guy who teamed up with Lowe towards the end

The blond long-haired employee that testified against Joe

Mario the former druglord who amazingly seems like an almost decent person next to this crew

Last edited by a moderator:
even before her rebuttal, I hated Carol a lot less than most.  not sure why 
her rebuttal makes me hate her more   :lol:

she calls the personal assistant lady Anne a lying embezzler and posted some 42-page PDF as proof - I read the whole thing, God help me, and as far as I can tell it's a smokescreen. Then proceeds to try to throw shade on Don's former wife and claim she's (Carol) not really a terrible golddigging ho because Don was screwing around on the first wife before her too. 

it's really a tossup between her and Lowe for worst human being in this thing, I'm only giving Jeff the nod right now for his bandanna/hat/Affliction shirt combo.

her rebuttal makes me hate her more   :lol:

she calls the personal assistant lady Anne a lying embezzler and posted some 42-page PDF as proof - I read the whole thing, God help me, and as far as I can tell it's a smokescreen. Then proceeds to try to throw shade on Don's former wife and claim she's (Carol) not really a terrible golddigging ho because Don was screwing around on the first wife before her too. 

it's really a tossup between her and Lowe for worst human being in this thing, I'm only giving Jeff the nod right now for his bandanna/hat/Affliction shirt combo.
Jeff was a snitch so he beats her by a nose

Honestly Joe Exotic was framed and should be released...
well he did get pretty serious with the fat informant's fake hitman about taking Carol out.

but I kind of agree, I think he's one of those guys that's a little off and talks a bunch of crap but would never be actually evil enough to go through with something like that. I doubt he really gave Allen the 3K to kill her, that was Jeff setting him up.

well he did get pretty serious with the fat informant's fake hitman about taking Carol out.

but I kind of agree, I think he's one of those guys that's a little off and talks a bunch of crap but would never be actually evil enough to go through with something like that. I doubt he really gave Allen the 3K to kill her, that was Jeff setting him up.
Its a grey area to be sure, but I don't like the whole entrapment process that went into busting him.

Users who are viewing this thread