What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are the odds the 2020 NFL season is played? (1 Viewer)

Odds that the 2020 NFL season happens as normal

• 100%

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • 90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • 70%

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • 60%

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • 40%

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • 30%

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • 20%

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • 10%

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • No chance

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
I think it's 1% so I voted 0.  Can't envision any scenario where they allow sports of any kind to be played any time in the foreseeable future.

May be delayed a bit if they want to get in a full training camp and preseason, but I see no way that it doesn't happen.   Training camp starts almost 4 months from.   I haven't seen any projections where most of this won't be behind us by then.    Attendance may be really low, but the games will go on.     

A bunch of NASCAR drivers are doing sim races. Maybe the NFL could play the season on Madden. 🎮

May be delayed a bit if they want to get in a full training camp and preseason, but I see no way that it doesn't happen.   Training camp starts almost 4 months from.   I haven't seen any projections where most of this won't be behind us by then.    Attendance may be really low, but the games will go on.     
And teams can survive with less fans at the game. As long as they can still put the games on tv they will find a way to play sooner or later.

Judging on the fact they didn't wait a minute to get their precious free agency rolling and have full plans to host the NFL Draft in April and simply not allow fans to participate, it would seem they are going to figure out a way to make it happen even if they have to pump in crowd noise or fans...oh that's right, Fox had already done that a decade ago. 

They will figure out a way, this is Roger Goodell and the Evil Empire we are talking about. 

Players signing $50 million, $100 Million deals while people who make $15 an hour are being told they are out of work and likely will remain that way for months. Great message the NFL sends to their fan base about what they really think of them. 

I voted 60%.  That's basically the odds I'm currently putting on "life is back to normal in the fall."  If we're still on lock-down by the time football season gets here, we have bigger problems than no football.

70%. They will find a way to play it. We will need something like that by then. Empty stadiums, everyone tested before each game etc...

Players signing $50 million, $100 Million deals while people who make $15 an hour are being told they are out of work and likely will remain that way for months. Great message the NFL sends to their fan base about what they really think of them. 
The NFL fan base wanted free agency to go forward. 

Judging on the fact they didn't wait a minute to get their precious free agency rolling and have full plans to host the NFL Draft in April and simply not allow fans to participate, it would seem they are going to figure out a way to make it happen even if they have to pump in crowd noise or fans...oh that's right, Fox had already done that a decade ago. 

They will figure out a way, this is Roger Goodell and the Evil Empire we are talking about. 

It’s not clear - are you mad at the billionaires or the millionaires?

The term “normal” made me vote 0%.   This virus will not pass soon—our governments strategy of fighting it insures it.  They are trying to flatten out the curve of the virus in order to try to put the least amount of stress on the healthcare system.   This by nature prolongs the length of time that the pandemic is around.  China instituted full military backed quarantines for close to 2 months—and they are still not back to “normal”.     Football is a sport where teams have large rosters, training and medical staffs—-if they start the season and just a player or two gets the virus—what will the league do then?  

I say 70%. The teams can easily play in empty stadiums, testing should(hopefully) be more available by then, and ticket sales aren't how the league makes its money anymore. Of course, if it doesn't go forward, we might be in trouble with nothing to watch anymore.

Normal......20%. Will they play the games......80%. If they can broadcast empty stadium games, they will. Too much tv money at stake. Also think testing will be much better by then.

If they don’t play at all, teams giving out decent chunks of money to older players may regret those contracts. Brady at $50M seems ok now, but Brady another year older and having not played for a year? That deal starts to look a bit more dicey.

And would guys like Larry Fitzgerald just retire?

Without a vaccine...and the 2020 NFL season will/would take place prior to one being available, I can’t see a season taking place.

People don’t understand the psychological damage this country is about to endure.  By the time training camps would be open, hundreds of thousands of people nationwide could be dead from this thing...perhaps on the way to a seven figure death toll.  And while we may get a respite from this in the summer, as temps turn colder...all expect another wave of this.

For Goodell/NFL to try and move forward with the season under these conditions would be the definition of tone-deaf...

Nobody thinks the nfl cares about them. Nor should they. 

Without a vaccine...and the 2020 NFL season will/would take place prior to one being available, I can’t see a season taking place.

People don’t understand the psychological damage this country is about to endure.  By the time training camps would be open, hundreds of thousands of people nationwide could be dead from this thing...perhaps on the way to a seven figure death toll.  And while we may get a respite from this in the summer, as temps turn colder...all expect another wave of this.

For Goodell/NFL to try and move forward with the season under these conditions would be the definition of tone-deaf...
Tens of billions of dollars are on the line. Those owners don’t care about anything else and the president will say something like the country needs this to get back to normal etc. Season will definitely be played, but I am sure there will be some kind of disruption. 

Tens of billions of dollars are on the line. Those owners don’t care about anything else and the president will say something like the country needs this to get back to normal etc. Season will definitely be played, but I am sure there will be some kind of disruption. 
That way of thinking will be obsolete soon...

Normal......20%. Will they play the games......80%. If they can broadcast empty stadium games, they will. Too much tv money at stake. Also think testing will be much better by then.
As of now—the NFL season is supposed to start in September.   Keep in mind—the only way to guarantee that the virus wouldn’t be spread in games would be if the tests and results could happen literally upon entering the stadium.  Even with better testing —I highly doubt that they will be able to conduct 2500-3000 instantaneous tests (53 players per team, plus coaching staff, plus trainers, plus security personnel, plus equipment managers and handlers)  with immediate results every week.   With that said—I do think that your other points about empty stadiums and such could very well be right on and I do not disagree there.  

100%

It may be to empty stadiums but the games will be played if for no other reason than the NFL does not want to lose the TV revenue. 

To be honest, I’m glad they are proceeding.

As a guy whose hobby is sports, it’s been a nice distraction to read about something normal in the world of sports. I take no offense if these guys are making millions, just as I take no offense of doctors and lawyers making more than me.

Reading these articles about players switching teams and the possible moves and the upcoming draft - gives me something to look forward to in the world of sports.

But MLB, NBA, and NHL do?
No but circumstances are different now than they will be 6 months from now. This just hit us.  If we flatten the curve hospitals won’t be as overrun, hopefully there are more tests and ventilators and hopefully some kind of treatment is found. 

No but circumstances are different now than they will be 6 months from now. This just hit us.  If we flatten the curve hospitals won’t be as overrun, hopefully there are more tests and ventilators and hopefully some kind of treatment is found. 
There are a lot of unknowns. If the virus mutates and it effects young people more and requires a different vaccine, then all bets are off. 

100%

It may be to empty stadiums but the games will be played if for no other reason than the NFL does not want to lose the TV revenue. 
That’s not the right reason, the NFL owners losing tv revenue will not be the cause. European football teams are losing way more and they are completely shut down. 

That’s not the right reason, the NFL owners losing tv revenue will not be the cause. European football teams are losing way more and they are completely shut down. 
They are completely shut down right now. Do you think they’ll still be shut down 6 months from now after we have a better handle on testing and treatment?

Wondering if people think football season will happen this year.
I think it is almost a certainty but honestly who knows.

I would think that the virus works it’s way through by May and then everything gets back to normal by end of July?

But it’s really too early to tell.

I put 90% but that may just be hope.

if we are not online back to normalcy by August this really is 12 monkeys type stuff.

Nobody listens to me when I say this but this is the future of sports. Sports using actual people will be a niche event. 
while it may not ever fully supplant actual human athletes, i think it will be the dominant form of competition sooner than most might think - i feel what you're saying  :thumbup:

It’s not clear - are you mad at the billionaires or the millionaires?
Exactly! 

All of them really except the players didn't have a choice although I also didn't hear or read a lot of "Sorry to my fan base and what they are going thru but I had to move forward for me and my family" and maybe some fo that did happen but I haven't seen anything like that. 

The 32 Owners are squarely to blame with Goodell as the ringleader so those 33 is where I'll start. And ironically that's how old Jesus was at the time of his death so I have the bible on my side 😉

Exactly! 

All of them really except the players didn't have a choice although I also didn't hear or read a lot of "Sorry to my fan base and what they are going thru but I had to move forward for me and my family" and maybe some fo that did happen but I haven't seen anything like that. 

The 32 Owners are squarely to blame with Goodell as the ringleader so those 33 is where I'll start. And ironically that's how old Jesus was at the time of his death so I have the bible on my side 😉
This is a BS take. Why should people feel guilty or apologize when their life is good and maybe someone else’s isn’t? The salary that the players make has zero to do with a barber in Spokane Washington who no longer has work or a mechanic in Tallahassee who’s garage is closed. What’s the cut off for your angst? Should an IT director that pulls in six figures also be apologetic ? When they receive their paycheck should they apologize to someone or show sympathy to others outside of the norm? 

This is a BS take. Why should people feel guilty or apologize when their life is good and maybe someone else’s isn’t? The salary that the players make has zero to do with a barber in Spokane Washington who no longer has work or a mechanic in Tallahassee who’s garage is closed. What’s the cut off for your angst? Should an IT director that pulls in six figures also be apologetic ? When they receive their paycheck should they apologize to someone or show sympathy to others outside of the norm? 
The NBA is shutting off the valve on $$$ April 1st.

MLB canceled the season so far and I had front row tickets 1B bag in St Pete for the opener with my son. 

The NHL shut down everything.

I'm glad you are having fun, I certainly posted in depth in the Phins thread and made no apologies for doing so, never brought up the CV-19. But being honest, it felt guilty and I understand why people think the NFL is pretty insensitive. We're talking about a league that when Vick was convicted of dog murder and women were having an outcry, the NFL responded with pink wristbands and shoes to show how understanding and sensitive they were and to not piss off their fan base. 

Let's call a spade a spade. It's not a BS take at all, it's a pretty clear 2nd side of the Coin here.  

The NBA is shutting off the valve on $$$ April 1st.

MLB canceled the season so far and I had front row tickets 1B bag in St Pete for the opener with my son. 

The NHL shut down everything.

I'm glad you are having fun, I certainly posted in depth in the Phins thread and made no apologies for doing so, never brought up the CV-19. But being honest, it felt guilty and I understand why people think the NFL is pretty insensitive. We're talking about a league that when Vick was convicted of dog murder and women were having an outcry, the NFL responded with pink wristbands and shoes to show how understanding and sensitive they were and to not piss off their fan base. 

Let's call a spade a spade. It's not a BS take at all, it's a pretty clear 2nd side of the Coin here.  
The other league shut down to protect players, workers and fans. The NFL continuing with free agency and the draft is putting nobody in danger. If people are upset with the NFL, they are looking for reasons to be upset. What the NFL is doing has no effect on anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends.  By week 1 will it be ok for players with active COVID be allowed to play, and will other players care?

Cause this virus is going to be around for at least a year before a real widespread vaccine is available.

Users who are viewing this thread