What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

cooking shows, best and least favorite all time. (1 Viewer)

grateful zed

Footballguy
fav:

emerill live - this guy taught me how to cook.

alton brown - great breakdowns.

julia childs - what can i say?

galloping gourmet - made it art

rachael ray = before she ballooned

least:

bobby flay - pompous ###

Ciao Italia with Mary Ann Esposito is one of my favorites.  Everything seems so down to earth and legit coming from her.  She's really calm, even, and informative without being boring, IMHO.

I like the shows that taught me how to cook.  So, I'd say Emeril, Jacques Pepin (PBS) , Lidia Bastianich (PBS) always caught my interest.  And really Chopped has taught me how to blend flavors and create "something out of nothing".

As a kid, my dad watched The Frugal Gourmet pretty religiously so that started my interest in cooking. In college and shortly after it was Emeril Live and Alton Brown's Good Eats. Then as a real adult it became America's Test Kitchen. Now I like Pasquale Sciarappa when he does cooking on Facebook.

America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country are 2 of my favorites.  I also like a lot of the instructional types of shows on Food Network.  I like Iron Chef, but generally don't really watch the competition shows.

Learned my love of cooking late, on TV, from, in order, the pervy Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith (i've told my story here about learning Primavera from his show to cook for my Mary in her first fancy meal after she recovered from her chemo nausea), then Nick Stellino and, most of all, Jacques Pepin. I learned finicky eating from my Irish mother but, when i saw Pepin prepare dishes from foods i wouldnt taste on a bet which made me want to eat them, i learned an entire love of food which has kept me well since.

Nowadays, i cop ideas & techniques from the Food Nation people on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives more than watch cooking shows. With one exception - there are two Public Television presenters who make me weep with regret that i've never been with a woman of each their inner & outer beauties - Globe Trekker's Megan McCormick and A Chef's Life's Vivian Howard. Literally, i cannot watch their shows without tears of ardor welling in my eyes. And Viv's tomato pie recipe is IMMENSE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Favs

Good eats

Grillin and Chillin ( Old school Food Network show with Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid)

Essence of Emeril 

Top Chef

Diners Drive-ins and Dives 

fav:

emerill live - this guy taught me how to cook.

alton brown - great breakdowns.

julia childs - what can i say?

galloping gourmet - made it art

rachael ray = before she ballooned

least:

bobby flay - pompous ###
As a young Canadian kid in the early 70s, this was part of our eclectic morning TV experience.

I enjoy the shows that incorporate travel into the cuisine or that can teach me new techniques (or general food knowledge).

bourdain

25 yrs ago Rachel ray had a good show. She was a hack in the kitchen until she started hanging out with other celebrity chefs

alton

mario used to have a show where he traveled around Italy and discussed regional dishes

still enjoy top chef, even though many challenges are uncommon in kitchens 

triple d is good background noise

the new Jamie Oliver Quick & Easy Meals has the highest ratio of recipes-tried by far  i've ever experienced from a cooking show. awesome stuff - the baked saffron rice is me Ma's favorite side now, and she never liked rice

I used to watch Iron Chef for a while and enjoyed that and would probably watch it again if they were making new episodes.  I also used to watch Chopped—but I feel like that gold old kinda quick.   

There aren't a lot of cooking/food shows that I don't like.  

I remember having to wait until the weekend mornings for one or two that were available - usually just on PBS.  

The Frugal Gourmet (turned out to be a pedophile), Galloping Gourmet, Yan Can Cook, and Justin Wilson.

I have subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for years and love America's Test Kitchen that has been mentioned. 

Some others that I haven't seen in the thread:

East Meets West with Ming Tsai 

Barefoot Contessa

Original Iron Chef

Molto Mario (turned out to be a predator ...didn't know it then)

Martha Stewart

Two Fat Ladies

Nigella Bites

There aren't a lot of cooking/food shows that I don't like.  

I remember having to wait until the weekend mornings for one or two that were available - usually just on PBS.  

The Frugal Gourmet (turned out to be a pedophile), Galloping Gourmet, Yan Can Cook, and Justin Wilson.

I have subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for years and love America's Test Kitchen that has been mentioned. 

Some others that I haven't seen in the thread:

East Meets West with Ming Tsai 

Barefoot Contessa

Original Iron Chef

Molto Mario (turned out to be a predator ...didn't know it then)

Martha Stewart

Two Fat Ladies

Nigella Bites
My cholesterol would shoot  through the roof just watching this show. 

Good Eats is my all time favorite.  I like Bobby Flay, but can see where people may think he's pompous.  My culinary school graduate son doesn't.  He thinks his flavor profiles are to 1 dimensional.  

Cooking: Good Eats is my #1.  Back in the day, Justin Wilson was entertaining as were Two Fat Ladies. If Kenji ever gets a show, I'll be all over it.

Food/travel: Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods)

With our kids, we wind up watching a lot of the Cooking Channel.  Most of them get repetitive.  Masterchef Junior is pretty well done.

Salt Acid Fat Heat  was probably my favorite of the recent travel ones. 

I like Best Thing I Ever Ate as mindless TV. 

I use Youtube for almost all genuine cooking instruction.  

With our kids, we wind up watching a lot of the Cooking Channel.  Most of them get repetitive.  Masterchef Junior is pretty well done.

Salt Acid Fat Heat  was probably my favorite of the recent travel ones. 

I like Best Thing I Ever Ate as mindless TV. 

I use Youtube for almost all genuine cooking instruction.  
We switched to Dish and did not upgrade to include Cooking.  I do miss it.  Loved Best Thing.

Watched first several Tournament of Champions on Food Network this afternoon while we have been playing Phase 10 (look at me, I'm a family man!!).  Pretty fun show, and I like the blind judging element.  And no matter how dorky people think Guy F is, I just can't help but like the guy.  He just loves food.

There was one younger Asian guy who I loved his cooking and recipes.  Can`t remember his name now.

Good Eats has always been a favorite of mine, because I learn cooking techniques and some science behind the cooking.  

Triple D I enjoy because I travel for work (at least I used to) and like trying to find funky fresh places to eat.  

To me, they are almost like different categories of TV shows even tho they are both about cooking.

I am a big Top Chef fan. I generally get bored of shows with just a person cooking but the competition element makes it fun. 

Big fan of many mentioned. If you're looking for something new I've been watching a lot of The Chef Show on Netflix over the past week, highly recommend:

Chef Roy Choi worked on the 2014 movie "Chef," which starred Jon Favreau, who also wrote and directed the flick. Choi and Favreau reunite for this cooking travelogue series. The friends travel to different locales around the world and celebrate different flavors, cultures and people. They experiment with their favorite recipes and techniques, collaborating with some of the biggest names in the entertainment and culinary industries. Favreau and Choi not only embrace their passion for food, but they also showcase their love of bringing people together for a delicious meal. On the journey, the duo shares a meal with members of the "Avengers" cast in Atlanta and smokes brisket in Texas with renowned pitmaster Aaron Franklin.

For a more instructional-type show Bon Appetit Test Kitchen on YouTube is a great series, been binging that also. I've learned a ton in a short time from them.

Good Eats is my all time favorite.  I like Bobby Flay, but can see where people may think he's pompous.  My culinary school graduate son doesn't.  He thinks his flavor profiles are to 1 dimensional.  
I can understand why your son thinks that.  I don't think I've ever seen a Flay recipe that doesn't have some kind of chili or pepper in it.  That said, he has done well on Iron Chef (and in general) so it's working for him. 

I can understand why your son thinks that.  I don't think I've ever seen a Flay recipe that doesn't have some kind of chili or pepper in it.  That said, he has done well on Iron Chef (and in general) so it's working for him. 
And he wins more often than he loses on Beat Bobby Flay.  Granted he's the host, but he does have to make the dish of the competitor's choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread