What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Small Business Support Group (2 Viewers)

So what am I missing? I thought unemployment for self employed people is supposed to be automatic and also part of the $600 weekly add on? I was denied last week and this week as well. They sent me a message saying an appeal under normal conditions would take 2-4 weeks for them to schedule a review. 

There is no way to contact or call them, there is no way to email them, and there is no way to communicate with anyone directly. All I keep seeing anywhere is that the self employed will be eligible just like anyone else and the money will be there ASAP.
It may be taking the State system a while to get in line with the new Federal Guidelines?  Have you seen your State Unemployment Office post anything yet about the new program and eligibility?

So what am I missing? I thought unemployment for self employed people is supposed to be automatic and also part of the $600 weekly add on? I was denied last week and this week as well. They sent me a message saying an appeal under normal conditions would take 2-4 weeks for them to schedule a review. 

There is no way to contact or call them, there is no way to email them, and there is no way to communicate with anyone directly. All I keep seeing anywhere is that the self employed will be eligible just like anyone else and the money will be there ASAP.
You have to think the systems are overwhelmed and under prepared for this.  The talking heads are saying there will be benefits for the self employed, but it probably takes a while for the people operating the systems to implement the structure for it.

The banks are going to be swamped.  I'm preparing all of my docs now so I can send them as soon as mine opens the floodgates.
Thanks for posting the application. It seems like most of the information lenders may be asking for should be included in our 2019 tax returns, right? Salary, rent payments, 401k, etc. What other documents do you anticipate we'll need, as I'd like to get a start on gathering those as well. Thanks.

Thanks for posting the application. It seems like most of the information lenders may be asking for should be included in our 2019 tax returns, right? Salary, rent payments, 401k, etc. What other documents do you anticipate we'll need, as I'd like to get a start on gathering those as well. Thanks.
I just compiled all of my 2019 quarterly 941s and RT-6s, 2019 yearly W3 and 940, and all of my payroll reports back to the beginning of 2019 through March 2020 in a folder on my desktop.  They're basing the loan amounts completely off of payroll, so I would think you'll need all of these documents at minimum.  For the other expenses the lender should be able to average them out based off of your tax returns.

So, I have three employees, and one is nervous about working right now, and I have a feeling that she is going to file for unemployment.  I think this would disqualify me from the PPP forgiveness of the loan.  I would bring her back when times is right.  Anyone?

So, I have three employees, and one is nervous about working right now, and I have a feeling that she is going to file for unemployment.  I think this would disqualify me from the PPP forgiveness of the loan.  I would bring her back when times is right.  Anyone?
You could furlough her.  She would be eligible for unemployment and then can come back to her position once she felt comfortable.  Assuming you'd want to hold it for her. 

I don't think it would disqualify you, but you may have to end up paying back part of the loan if your payroll is lower because of her absence during the 8 weeks versus your previous months. 

I'm worried about the same. It's hard to find a clear answer, but most seem to think the main issue is that you bring the employees back within a certain time when it makes sense to do so. Basically, they don't want you taking this money then closing shop or not providing jobs. It seems it would be unreasonable to punish business owners for having folks sign up when things are so wildly unknown. 2 weeks ago,  when a lot of people started laying off, nobody had a clue what stimulus might be coming.

I don't know. I told my people to sign up and I just did myself too. Pursuing the SBA/PPP stuff and hoping it'll be forgiven when we bring everybody back to regular hours (but also planning in case I'm wrong on that too)

My situation; 26 year old business. Graphic design and marketing company; print design, web, multimedia, video and marketing among other services. Our clientele is directly impacted by the travel and gathering restrictions. The uncertainty of when any semblances of "normal" appear is really what is hamstringing me (and everybody else).

We've been as large as 8 and consciously moved to a leaner operation several years ago. I didn't like being over leveraged and having to chase billables just to be "big". Now a true family business of just myself and my wife. Both of us are the designers and operators. Luckily we don't have staff concerns at this time. We own a separate property that housed our operation. We actually had it on the market by owner and were planning on downsizing to our residence as we are getting older and didn't need really need the extra space. 

What we've done so far: The past week has basically been all about moving our operation from our other property to our home. Our main client so far is continuing operations and preparing for events in late October. As of now we have some projects with them and working together to help reinvent their business to be online instead of an in person event, should that be needed. One of our retainer clients, a YMCA, has cut us loose. Maybe temporary, but who knows. 

Being able to jettison our other property would help immensely in the short term. I just don't want to make a panic decision. We owe $199,000 on it. Zillow has it at $299,000 and I was asking $325,000 hoping to land on $300,000. My question is should I just get out from underneath it at any cost? I'd think someone with cash would take it at a market discount, but not sure. It is a residence by a small college so I had interest from property owners who rent, but it was actually too nice for several of them as they were looking for a beater. This is one of my things to pursue next week. Ideally would like to make some cash on the transaction, but we'd save over $20k a year in expenses by not having it. If there is no buying interest in it I'm looking for ideas. I've never had a bankruptcy or a foreclosure in my life. Just throwing the keys in it feels like a panic move, but my main goal right now is to reduce expenses, increase cash reserves and maintain as much business as we can. Calls to mortgage holders also happening next week to see where they are at.
Don't do the bolded, have an agent list it for rent and also look at your loan to see if there is a prepayment penalty to refinance it. Banks are desperate fro good commercial loans right now, you can definitely get your payment down. 

pollardsvision said:
I'm worried about the same. It's hard to find a clear answer, but most seem to think the main issue is that you bring the employees back within a certain time when it makes sense to do so. Basically, they don't want you taking this money then closing shop or not providing jobs. It seems it would be unreasonable to punish business owners for having folks sign up when things are so wildly unknown. 2 weeks ago,  when a lot of people started laying off, nobody had a clue what stimulus might be coming.

I don't know. I told my people to sign up and I just did myself too. Pursuing the SBA/PPP stuff and hoping it'll be forgiven when we bring everybody back to regular hours (but also planning in case I'm wrong on that too)
Is it Preferable to Lay Off or Furlough Staff and Send Them to Unemployment or Keep Them on the Payroll and Get a 7(a) Loan?

There are two viable approaches that you can take. The first is more conservative and less disruptive and the second more aggressive but probably better for most.

Approach #1
If you have not already let your staff go and think that doing so will be difficult in terms of employee morale, then consider taking the 7(a) loan at the beginning of the loan application process, as early as the end of this week (April 3). The benefit of this loan is a tax-free gift, via loan forgiveness, to pay 8 weeks worth of your payroll costs, rent, interest on your debt service and utility bills.
$349 billion has been allocated to this program, and it’s conceivable that this money will be depleted before the last day these loans are authorized to be made. If that happens, Congress will likely authorize another round of funding, but that is never guaranteed.

Approach #2
The best way to handle this for most practices will be a two-part approach that takes advantage of unemployment benefits and the 7(a) loans. This is more disruptive to the practice as it requires furloughing or laying off the employees. However, if you’ve already done this, then that is a non-issue:
•    If your practice is shut down or largely shut down, then furlough staff and have them apply for unemployment. Thanks to the CARES ACT, they will get traditional unemployment benefits plus a $600 kicker. This will replace all or most of their normal pay, and in some cases give them a raise.
•    When you are ready to reopen your practice, rehire your staff then, and obtain the 7(a) loan then. Just do this by the June 30 deadline -- better yet, a couple weeks before then in order to give yourself a cushion. You will use the loan proceeds to pay your overhead when the practice reopens. You should get the benefit of loan forgiveness for the 8 weeks following the date you take your loan (so into July and August).  And, so long as the employees are rehired by June 30, the loan forgiveness will not be reduced. In this way, you are taking advantage of unemployment insurance to cover your employees’ wages during the shutdown period and also getting the tax benefits of the 7(a) loan once your practice reopens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Approach #2 is what I'm doing.  Tentatively set to reopen on May 1st.  I furloughed employees on 3/20/20. 

I asked two banks on Monday regarding payroll protection program and was told they don’t have all the details from sba yet.  Is this what others have encountered? 

Hopefully potential good news for me on the unemployment front. The state updated and explained their process on how they are going to handle the self employed. Since they have no record of me paying into the state unemployment system, they will have to manually enter all financial information from the additional forms and tax information they requested. All claims will automatically be denied at first, no need to appeal, but the manual data entry and approval process will take time to sift through. New claims were up 3300% the first week, so I am guessing it will be awhile.

Thanks. Can you give details or thoughts?
It was pretty straight forward.  Actually unlike other govt forms it was well enough laid out and easy to understand, with clear prompts as to what was required and correct/not correct Feedback (as a designer I pay attention to stuff like that). But then again it was from the SBA and not from the IRS. 

Not much heavy info was asked, just basic stuff so it’s pretty easy to do yourself (and that’s saying a lot with me) 

my only problem is that I did not receive a confirmation email but did get a confirmation/account number. So make sure you note that number down and save it. 

Hopefully potential good news for me on the unemployment front. The state updated and explained their process on how they are going to handle the self employed. Since they have no record of me paying into the state unemployment system, they will have to manually enter all financial information from the additional forms and tax information they requested. All claims will automatically be denied at first, no need to appeal, but the manual data entry and approval process will take time to sift through. New claims were up 3300% the first week, so I am guessing it will be awhile.
Good luck to you

It was pretty straight forward.  Actually unlike other govt forms it was well enough laid out and easy to understand, with clear prompts as to what was required and correct/not correct Feedback (as a designer I pay attention to stuff like that). But then again it was from the SBA and not from the IRS. 

Not much heavy info was asked, just basic stuff so it’s pretty easy to do yourself (and that’s saying a lot with me) 

my only problem is that I did not receive a confirmation email but did get a confirmation/account number. So make sure you note that number down and save it. 
Dumb questions. 

Are their guidelines for how much to borrow?

What are the rules for when it becomes a grant vs when it's paid back?

Other general stuff? 

Thanks. 

Dumb questions. 

Other general stuff? 

Thanks. 
This was just the initial enrollment, from what I heard it’s on a first come, first served basis.  Go getting in early is important.  This was just the info collection phase.....but there was a box to claim $10k in immediate grant money (if approved).  

My plan it to apply for everything and decide what I need when offered.  From what I understand a lot of this Immediate moment is grant-based so it does not need to be paid back (that’s not to say it won’t be factored into your taxes at some point) 

other general stuff: basics like when the business stated, how long you were the owner, #of employees, overall gross revenue and total expenses   Nothing that requires heavy calculations or complicated tables or spreadsheets   

Dumb questions. 

Other general stuff? 

Thanks. 

The amount you can borrow is a calculation of payroll, taxes and benefits.  Cap employees at $100,000, Total your last 12 months of expenses in these areas (exclude bonus and federal tax) divide by 12 multiply by 2.5.  That's what you can borrow.

No payments for 6 months.  HOWEVER, if you spend all the money in 8 weeks with at least 75% on payroll expenses the amount can be forgiven if you maintain headcount and salaries.  You can reduce some salaries (I believe less than 25%) and still be forgiven if you meet all other criteria.   

Just applied for the SBA loan. pretty easy
I don't want to panic or doubt you but I don't think you applied for the Payroll Protection loan.  Those loans won't start until tomorrow. It's possible you've applied for an SBA normal disaster loan which does not contain the forgiveness provisions.  

Dumb questions. 

Other general stuff? 

Thanks. 

The amount you can borrow is a calculation of payroll, taxes and benefits.  Cap employees at $100,000, Total your last 12 months of expenses in these areas (exclude bonus and federal tax) divide by 12 multiply by 2.5.  That's what you can borrow.

No payments for 6 months.  HOWEVER, if you spend all the money in 8 weeks with at least 75% on payroll expenses the amount can be forgiven if you maintain headcount and salaries.  You can reduce some salaries (I believe less than 25%) and still be forgiven if you meet all other criteria.   
That's the Payroll Protection, not the EIDL.  I think Joe was responding to the EIDL.

Just applied for the SBA loan. pretty easy
I don't want to panic or doubt you but I don't think you applied for the Payroll Protection loan.  Those loans won't start until tomorrow. It's possible you've applied for an SBA normal disaster loan which does not contain the forgiveness provisions.  
If you end up taking the EIDL, be careful how you navigate the PPP.  You cannot double dip for payroll expenses between the 2.

If you end up taking the EIDL, be careful how you navigate the PPP.  You cannot double dip for payroll expenses between the 2.
Sorry. I"m unknowledgeable to the point I don't even know what these mean. Sorry. 

Sorry. I"m unknowledgeable to the point I don't even know what these mean. Sorry. 
No worries - it's a mess.  Quick explanation & info.  It's further complicated if your state has any programs (we are using one through Delaware).

EIDL = Economic Injury Declaration Loan; its a 'normal' loan, with terms up to 30yrs @ 3.75%  https://www.sba.gov/page/disaster-loan-applications#section-header-0 (this is what @glvsav37 applied for).

PPP = Payroll Protection Program (links below).  Potentially forgivable, if you can prove you used the money to continue payroll.  This opens up tomorrow where applications are through approved SBA lenders.  Links originally posted by @Grahamburn

Overview: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP%20--%20Overview.pdf

FactSheet: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP%20Borrower%20Information%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Application: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/Paycheck-Protection-Program-Application-3-30-2020-v3.pdf

No worries - it's a mess.  Quick explanation & info.  It's further complicated if your state has any programs (we are using one through Delaware).

EIDL = Economic Injury Declaration Loan; its a 'normal' loan, with terms up to 30yrs @ 3.75%  https://www.sba.gov/page/disaster-loan-applications#section-header-0 (this is what @glvsav37 applied for).

PPP = Payroll Protection Program (links below).  Potentially forgivable, if you can prove you used the money to continue payroll.  This opens up tomorrow where applications are through approved SBA lenders.  Links originally posted by @Grahamburn

Overview: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP%20--%20Overview.pdf

FactSheet: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP%20Borrower%20Information%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Application: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/Paycheck-Protection-Program-Application-3-30-2020-v3.pdf
One of the banks I approached regarding ppp indicates they’re anticipating over subscription and that program may only forgive a certain percentage. For example, per formula my business should get 80% forgiven but end up with 20%.  

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
I was on the Chase PPP video conference tonight and they said they haven't received final clarity from Treasury, so there is a chance that no lenders will be accepting applications tomorrow as originally expected. Just have to see. In theory, all these programs would really help small businesses at this time, but the almost insurmountable challenge seems to be implementing any of this and actually getting the relief to the people who need it in a timely manner. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Working on my PPP as we speak so our Loan agent has everything in hand for the opening of the portal tomorrow.  

Not easy. 

I was on the Chase PPP video conference tonight and they said they haven't received final clarity from Treasury, so there is a chance that no lenders will be accepting applications tomorrow as originally expected. Just have to see. In theory, all these programs would really help small businesses at this time, but the almost insurmountable challenge seems to be implementing any of this and actually getting the relief to the people who need it in a timely manner. 
Bank of America felt ready as of this morning. I’ll be checking in first thing tomorrow AM. 

stlrams said:
One of the banks I approached regarding ppp indicates they’re anticipating over subscription and that program may only forgive a certain percentage. For example, per formula my business should get 80% forgiven but end up with 20%.  
A bank you’ve had a previous business relationship with, or one you’ve not dealt with that knows they are going to have a difficult time processing PPP applications for their own customers let alone additional randoms?  

You have to think the systems are overwhelmed and under prepared for this.  The talking heads are saying there will be benefits for the self employed, but it probably takes a while for the people operating the systems to implement the structure for it.
Systems being overwhelmed & under prepared was an acceptable excuse in 2008.  This is absolutely ridiculous that they haven't been able to scale up in the past 12 years.

Wait until we hear that half a trillion dollars was sent to inmates.

I would think that if you haven't paid for unemployment insurance, you wouldn't be able to collect unemployment benefits. Any insurance program that ran this way would surely go broke unless the benefit was paid out of some other source and just admin'd by the state Employment Security.

I would think that if you haven't paid for unemployment insurance, you wouldn't be able to collect unemployment benefits. Any insurance program that ran this way would surely go broke unless the benefit was paid out of some other source and just admin'd by the state Employment Security.
I end up paying self employment tax, but it’s not the same as a traditional employee at a company where the company reports employee earnings and pays for unemployment insurance. 

Unemployment here has since said that they will have to manually create, build, review, and calculate claims based on the financial information and forms they collected upon applying. They further explained the self employed will automatically be denied because we will not appear to be in the system and will show that we had any qualifying income. 

Ultimately, we self employed folks should  all qualify but since it is a manual process it will take a while. Just got to wait it out. 

A bank you’ve had a previous business relationship with, or one you’ve not dealt with that knows they are going to have a difficult time processing PPP applications for their own customers let alone additional randoms?  
My main bank that does my personal and business.  

Users who are viewing this thread