What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarantine Temperature Bingo (1 Viewer)

At what temperature do you set your thermostat when you are COOLING the house during the NIGHT?

• Total voters

Keerock

Footballguy
Wife and I can't agree on at what temperature to set the thermostat.  Please let me know YOUR preferences.

I'm Heating to 68 during the day, 62 at night.  Cooling to 72 during the day and 67 at night.

Here in the PNW, to cool the house this time of year, we simply turn the thermostat off. Right now it's set to 71 at night, off during the day. 

If we need to cool the house in March/April during the day, similar approach -- thermostat is off. At night? Used to be that my wife was always freezing and I was always hot; it's flipped slightly over the last year (must be me getting old) so we simply leave it at 71 and either wear less to bed/use less/no covers if you are hot, with the other person bundling up to keep themselves warm.

My wife is one of those where if it is set below 72 in the winter, it is too cold.  But if it is higher than 68 in the summer, it is too hot. :crazy:

We also have separate furnaces for upstairs and mainfloor, which complicates the answer.  The lower level is set higher during the winter than upstairs, as we generally like it cooler when we sleep (as do most I imagine).

Also, despite what energy companies tell me, I have never found savings by changing the temperature throughout the day.  I've always found the time it take the furnace/AC to get the house temp up/down after a time at different temp takes more work than just keeping the temp steady.  Just my experience.

My wife is one of those where if it is set below 72 in the winter, it is too cold.  But if it is higher than 68 in the summer, it is too hot. :crazy:

We also have separate furnaces for upstairs and mainfloor, which complicates the answer.  The lower level is set higher during the winter than upstairs, as we generally like it cooler when we sleep (as do most I imagine).

Also, despite what energy companies tell me, I have never found savings by changing the temperature throughout the day.  I've always found the time it take the furnace/AC to get the house temp up/down after a time at different temp takes more work than just keeping the temp steady.  Just my experience.
2 furnaces here as well.  I did find that my energy savings were noticeable when setting the downstairs temp to 61 at night and back to 68 in the morning.  Saved me maybe $20 per month.

Here in Central Florida, I haven't turned my heat on in years. The house will get down to around 60 once or twice a year. We have a space heater that we throw in the bathroom for showers. Any other time, it's at 75 during the day and 69 at night.

Heat is set to 68 when we are home, 54 when away and at night.

AC is set at 80, off at night and I use a portable unit for the bedrooms if needed.

2 furnaces here as well.  I did find that my energy savings were noticeable when setting the downstairs temp to 61 at night and back to 68 in the morning.  Saved me maybe $20 per month.
Not sure where you are, but part of my problem is also that I rarely have two straight months of the same temperature.  January and February maybe in the winter, but one of those months will usually have a week or week and a half of extreme temps that throw the average off.  Same with July and August in the summer.  Otherwise temps are trending up or down and it is hard to compare month to month for me.

Heat is set to 68 when we are home, 54 when away and at night.

AC is set at 80, off at night and I use a portable unit for the bedrooms if needed.
Wow... 54 at night is drastic!  Takes my furnace a good hour to get from 62-68 in the morning.  How long does it take yours?

Not sure where you are, but part of my problem is also that I rarely have two straight months of the same temperature.  January and February maybe in the winter, but one of those months will usually have a week or week and a half of extreme temps that throw the average off.  Same with July and August in the summer.  Otherwise temps are trending up or down and it is hard to compare month to month for me.
I'm in Michigan... so same situation.  It's a WAG for sure... but year over year and month over month have shown me about $20/month

Wow... 54 at night is drastic!  Takes my furnace a good hour to get from 62-68 in the morning.  How long does it take yours?
30-45 minutes?  Maybe an hour? 

Thermostat is on the main floor so the upstairs is usually a bit warmer.  Timer is set to turn the heat back on at about 6:30, I think.  By the time I'm showered and ready for work, it's back up to 68.  Bear in mind that it really only gets down to 54 on the coldest nights of the year.  Most of the winter it was hovering around or just under 60 by the time the heat kicked on again.

A constant battle in our household, where there are legitimate threats to lock each other out of our Nest thermostat by setting a password. My wife prefers the heat set to 70, or air conditioning set to 72, while I prefer the heat set to 68 and the air conditioning set to 76. I don't mind it hot so I did not even want to install air conditioning, but she was pregnant when we got it installed so I had no leverage. 

We don't change it much at night, but the air is so weak by the time it gets to the master bedroom you can barely feel it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was going to be about our respective body temperatures :shrug:

NE Ohio here - heat is on  to high 60's. stays that way 24/7 - wife likes it hotter to sleep - I like it cooler - which means when she wears PJ's and is under two blankets and  I am on top of all of that..... go figure. ( Unless of course I can convince her that body heat will warm her up... LOL.. who I am kidding.. I am married... this doesn't happen often  :kicksrock:  

Set it for 70. Drop it down to 68 at night but have found that to be too cold the past couple months. Not sure what changed in me, but I keep it at 70 all the time now. We’ll see what happens in the summer. 

I keep mine in the mid to upper 70s year round. Here in Florida, I rarely use the heat anyway, and even in summer, having the house at about 76-78 is a nice change from the surface of the Sun that we get in summer.

Summer, daytime (no one home) - 76-77* .. much higher, and it takes forever to get back down to temp.

Summer, evening/weekends - 72*

Summer, overnight - 74* .. much higher, and I turn into the princess from Princess and the Pea

Winter, daytime (no one home) - 62*

Winter, evenings/weekends - 66*

Winter, overnight - 62*

Here in the PNW, to cool the house this time of year, we simply turn the thermostat off. Right now it's set to 71 at night, off during the day. 

If we need to cool the house in March/April during the day, similar approach -- thermostat is off. At night? Used to be that my wife was always freezing and I was always hot; it's flipped slightly over the last year (must be me getting old) so we simply leave it at 71 and either wear less to bed/use less/no covers if you are hot, with the other person bundling up to keep themselves warm.
Yup. No AC in the house.

But for heating 68 when we are here in evenings and on weekends. 60 at night. 

Will crank it up manually occasionally to get a bit warmer. Never over 70 though.

67 in the winter...72 in the summer...usually off during spring and fall.  I don't worry about day and night.

Users who are viewing this thread