What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solve the Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

What is the best course of action

• Continue as we're doing now, it will eventually work itself out

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Mandated and enforced lockdowns of 30 days

Votes: 62 49.6%
  • Mandated and enforced lockdowns of 15 days

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Natural Selection, get back to life as is, if someone dies, they die

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Solutions? Please explain. 

I think it's simple, really... Lock it down for 30 days, everything, put people inside, enforce it, eliminate the spread. Homeless people should be rounded up, put in camps, fed/clothed/isolated. Yes inhumane, but we all must make sacrifices to get back to normal.

Finally, keep all borders closed until other countries get it in check too. 

The only answer is #2 otherwise this goes on basically for a year and a half. It’s also the only one that would never ever happen here. 

The only answer is #2 otherwise this goes on basically for a year and a half. It’s also the only one that would never ever happen here. 
If we know this is a solution (and we do), and we know it leads to the least deaths, the least ruin, and on top of everything is the quickest, why can't it? Bc people will complain about their liberties, they're too selfish to sit a month out for the greater good of everyone (which includes themselves)... Why can't we use all this bailout money to pay to have every single person in the country ready to not be seen or heard for 30 days? 

If we really are the greatest nation on Earth, we need to act like it and do the smart thing. If people can't partake in this for the sake of humanity, well then #### them. Throw them in jail, I don't care; we have no other option, we're ####ed without doing this. The ad hoc sheltering in place is complete bull####, it won't accomplish much except delaying the inevitable, let's either hit it head on and go on with life as is or lockdown. Everything in between is just procrastination. 

We’re not the greatest nation on earth. This place is selfish, extremely stupid and beyond help in that regard. You’ve seen the pictures of idiots at Disney, the beaches and farmer’s markets. It won’t happen. FREEDOM, MERICA, blah blah blah 
Yea, we suck :kicksrock:

I've been pretty outspoken about how Trump botched this from the start, but if he declared martial law and had the army marching through the streets keeping people inside, I'd declare him one of the greatest presidents ever. All he has to do is act like the dictator he's been labeled as, why can't he just pull the trigger already? Does he not understand this would defeat the virus and give him the W he needs now that the economy is ####ed. 

I've been pretty outspoken about how Trump botched this from the start, but if he declared martial law and had the army marching through the streets keeping people inside, I'd declare him one of the greatest presidents ever. All he has to do is act like the dictator he's been labeled as, why can't he just pull the trigger already? Does he not understand this would defeat the virus and give him the W he needs now that the economy is ####ed. 
Hate to agree, but I agree.

For those In the continue as we’re doing, can you please explain how this solves anything and why it is better than 30 days of misery?

Feels like all we’re doing now is wasting time. Think it should either be lockdown or continue life as was.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those In the continue as we’re doing, can you please explain how this solves anything and why it is better than 30 days of misery?

Feels like all we’re doing now is wasting time. Think it should either be lockdown or continue life as was.
I'm in "lockdown". :unsure:

We’re not the greatest nation on earth. This place is selfish, extremely stupid and beyond help in that regard. You’ve seen the pictures of idiots at Disney, the beaches and farmer’s markets. It won’t happen. FREEDOM, MERICA, blah blah blah 
Some people need more direction than others, that’s for sure. 

But I gotta tell you, in the last two weeks I’ve personally witnessed a lot of very selfless acts by people. And our medical professionals are showing themselves to be true heroes. 

So I disagree with you. Overall I’m pretty proud of America at the moment. 

How does a 30-day lockdown solve anything?  Assume we do that and it works perfectly.  What stops CV from coming over from other countries on day 31?

Problably because his base are the ones that would hate this the most.

Sadly this.

get rid of the gov't mandated "shelter in place" orders.  Let people go back to work.   Stop with the nonsense for what essentially is a new flu virus.   Mortality rate is low and continues to drop as more people are tested.  Use the drugs we've discovered that are effective against it.

encourage people to wear masks in public, wipe down all hard surfaces regularly with proper chemicals, isolate the elderly as much as feasible and get back to life as we know it.   This thing will pass and its not worth blowing up the world economy to stop a flu virus.  Its like cutting off your arm to save a fingernail

Some people need more direction than others, that’s for sure. 

But I gotta tell you, in the last two weeks I’ve personally witnessed a lot of very selfless acts by people. And our medical professionals are showing themselves to be true heroes. 

So I disagree with you. Overall I’m pretty proud of America at the moment. 
America elected the guy leading this disaster. So I am not. I’ve never been more ashamed. 

*I do agree with you on how great some people have been. For sure. 

get rid of the gov't mandated "shelter in place" orders.  Let people go back to work.   Stop with the nonsense for what essentially is a new flu virus.   Mortality rate is low and continues to drop as more people are tested.  Use the drugs we've discovered that are effective against it.

encourage people to wear masks in public, wipe down all hard surfaces regularly with proper chemicals, isolate the elderly as much as feasible and get back to life as we know it.   This thing will pass and its not worth blowing up the world economy to stop a flu virus.  Its like cutting off your arm to save a fingernail
I understand this sentiment, I understand the opposite to shut it down for 30 days... I do not understand anything in between.

ETA:

by most data, more contagious and much deadlier than flu.

I am all for the best combination of Natural Selection and Mandated lockdown that gets us through it the fastest without shutting down our hospitals.

I like the idea that Friedman in the times had the other day about quarantining those that are vulnerable (elderly and immuno-compromised) and let everyone else going back to life as normal.   Let the latter go through waves of sickness with some requiring hospitalization, but most just needing to stay home and recover.   At some point, you'll build up enough herd immunity that the former group can be re-introduced into the population.    The one question i had was how do you clearly separate the one group from the other since some of them will live together.

this, unfortunately, is why we need lockdown orders.

this, unfortunately, is why we need lockdown orders.
I don’t agree with it, but I understand the thought process.

I think we should be all-in, but if we’re not, I think it’s natural selection at that point. All we’re doing now is trying to flatten the curve, then what? Infections decline and we’ll just have an outbreak when we try to get back to normal. We need to stop wasting time and go all-in.

I think we should be all-in, but if we’re not, I think it’s natural selection at that point. All we’re doing now is trying to flatten the curve, then what? Infections decline and we’ll just have an outbreak when we try to get back to normal. We need to stop wasting time and go all-in.
Again...  How does a 30-day lockdown solve anything?  Assume we do that and it works perfectly.  What stops CV from coming over from other countries on day 31?

Again...  How does a 30-day lockdown solve anything?  Assume we do that and it works perfectly.  What stops CV from coming over from other countries on day 31?
He did say "Finally, keep all borders closed until other countries get it in check too" so maybe "get in check too" means do the same, or otherwise guarantee it's safe.  ?

this include truck drivers from canada and mexico?
Details need to be worked out, like a situation where a pilot or someone else comes in, then quarantines, then they stay in shifts... IDK, the details need a thorough vetting, but if nobody has anything better (and I’m all ears), this is what we should do, and do now. 

You realize this is the goal, right?   The steep curve and the shallow curve have the same number of infections.   One crashes our health care system and people die unnecessarily.   One doesn't.   We're fully expecting future outbreaks and future lockdowns until there is an effective vaccine.

He did say "Finally, keep all borders closed until other countries get it in check too" so maybe "get in check too" means do the same, or otherwise guarantee it's safe.  ?
No imports or exports at all?  That's not realistic.  We don't have the capacity to make everything we need in this country.

Details need to be worked out, like a situation where a pilot or someone else comes in, then quarantines, then they stay in shifts... IDK, the details need a thorough vetting, but if nobody has anything better (and I’m all ears), this is what we should do, and do now. 
i personally like tommyboy's approach which i reiterated above.  seems a lot more balanced and plausible.   

You realize this is the goal, right?   The steep curve and the shallow curve have the same number of infections.   One crashes our health care system and people die unnecessarily.   One doesn't.   We're fully expecting future outbreaks and future lockdowns until there is an effective vaccine.
Hello, exactly! Let’s just shut everything down completely right now. Eradicate from within, show the world how it is done, close borders.

Life somewhat returns to as normal as one could hope in a few months, we’re borderline recession until a vaccine. This is opposed to a depression, so I like this better.

The way to defeat the virus - complete and total lockdown for 30 days ( 21 days at a minimum) - it would suck for a month but we would get by. Do NOT leave your house. Period.  You need food, the troops in the streets can deliver it to you.  I personally do not want to be this drastic but people simply don't listen for a variety of selfish reasons. On a personal level, my best friend of years is one of those people. He just doesn't get it. :wall:    BUT,  because we are not willing to take the right steps, screw it, let people figure it out for themselves and let Darwin do his thing.   

Hello, exactly! Let’s just shut everything down completely right now. Eradicate from within, show the world how it is done, close borders.

Life somewhat returns to as normal as one could hope in a few months, we’re borderline recession until a vaccine. This is opposed to a depression, so I like this better.
So the borders stay closed until we have a vaccine?

I went with the 15 day option, but I could agree with the 30 day one. My biggest issue, and this is strictly personal, is that I feel like I need to work to provide for my family. I'm an electrician(usually new construction), so my job tends to keep me away from the general public anyway, but I simply feel as though I'd go stir crazy being stuck at home. If it keeps my family safe, I could grin and bear it, but it sounds like a nightmare.

Have to have as many people as we can stay locked away for 30 days. Reevaluate then. 

Have cops parked in as many of these areas as possible where people are hanging out big parks, the beach, what have you telling people to go back home. Get a system established at all stores for essentials shopping.

When you say full lock down, this doesn't include people that provide essential services like food delivery, medical, electricity, lock down enforcement, etc?    I still see a lot of potential for cross contamination.

7 - 1 odds that Trump eases up restrictions in April sometime.

CSTU just texted me and wanted see who wants action.

When you say full lock down, this doesn't include people that provide essential services like food delivery, medical, electricity, lock down enforcement, etc?    I still see a lot of potential for cross contamination.
Everyone except military and law enforcement. We give two weeks notice, those on patrol are quarantined leading up to the 30 day lockdown. There are tons of moving parts, but with 2 weeks to prepare, we should have enough brainpower to figure this out. If an individual can’t figure it out, they don’t belong in society with everyone else.

Everyone except military and law enforcement. We give two weeks notice, those on patrol are quarantined leading up to the 30 day lockdown. There are tons of moving parts, but with 2 weeks to prepare, we should have enough brainpower to figure this out. If an individual can’t figure it out, they don’t belong in society with everyone else.
And medical I'd assume.   How about infrastructure?   Who's keep the lights on, the water and sewage treated, the garbage collected?   Fire protection as well.  Are we just stock piling food in preparation for this lock down?

ETA:  Almost forget the ISPs.    What if my internet goes out?  I think I'd rather get the corona virus then not have internet.  :lol:  

He’s afraid of the market totally collapsing. Every single decision he’s made on this and the times of his press conferences are attempts to keep it propped. 

You know this bro. 

And medical I'd assume.   How about infrastructure?   Who's keep the lights on, the water and sewage treated, the garbage collected?   Fire protection as well.  Are we just stock piling food in preparation for this lock down?

ETA:  Almost forget the ISPs.    What if my internet goes out?  I think I'd rather get the corona virus then not have internet.  :lol:  
Yeah, not as simple as just law enforcement and military. 

We can still get bagels, right? Takeout obviously. 

He’s afraid of the market totally collapsing. Every single decision he’s made on this and the times of his press conferences are attempts to keep it propped. 

You know this bro. 
People would buy the lockdown, that’s how the markets would stop bleeding... this is why I don’t get it.

Users who are viewing this thread