What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus? (1 Viewer)

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 79.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

TripItUp

Footballguy
I'll close this down in a week...and then open another one every month.

If you vote please make a post with your vote to facilitate future conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm speaking to the left leaning media.   Fox News, for example, should not be included in your opinion of the "liberal media" unless you believe Fox to be liberal.
That’s not what I mean. I understand who’s included in that. I’m saying you’re making an imperative statement that it is overreacting and I’m asking why. I’m in Louisiana and the #### has genuinely hit the fan. I know one family that has it, a coworker with a niece, a friend who’s little girl whose classmate’s dad is in ICU. I’ve got a coworker whose niece just escaped critical care. A friend who’s a nurse and another coworker whose a nurse. So please tell me what the hell is being overhyped.

That’s not what I mean. I understand who’s included in that. I’m saying you’re making an imperative statement that it is overreacting and I’m asking why. I’m in Louisiana and the #### has genuinely hit the fan. I know one family that has it, a coworker with a niece, a friend who’s little girl whose classmate’s dad is in ICU. I’ve got a coworker whose niece just escaped critical care. A friend who’s a nurse and another coworker whose a nurse. So please tell me what the hell is being overhyped.
So your vote is no.

Thank you for your opinion.  :thumbup:

This question makes absolutely zero sense to me.  The media didn't shut down nations, including our nation as begun with a travel ban from our extremely anti-media president.  No one hates the media more than Trump and he has repeatedly stated how seriously we need to take this.

If anything the media UNDER-reacted to this.  6 weeks ago we could have done this social distancing thing for 2 weeks and banned international travel and been clear and done with this thing.  Now we will probably end up having to shut down the entire economy for 3-4 months.

Your question is based on several flawed premises, starting with the fact that this story is global and most of the world media is not liberal.

Also, the liberal U.S. media is allowing the Republican government to lead them around by the nose, airing daily press conferences live on every major news station. Remember the days when CNN used to fact-check Trump live-on-the-air? They've completely abandoned that idea, which now gives Trump free rein to inject misinformation and miscoherence directly into the public consciousness. That counts as a victory in some Republican circles.

At any rate, if our Republican leaders really believed that the liberal media had gone too far, then they'd still be crying "hoax!" and "just a flu, bro."

I’m sure there are clips one can find with liberal media types going overboard but, overall, the media has been good on this.

If anything the media UNDER-reacted to this.  6 weeks ago we could have done this social distancing thing for 2 weeks and banned international travel and been clear and done with this thing.  Now we will probably end up having to shut down the entire economy for 3-4 months.
Absolutely.  Everyone got duped by China and their WHO puppet back in January.

What exactly has the liberal media done? They’ve reported, they’ve been asking the president about it, he’s basically said it’s under control and not to worry. 
So they’re critical of Trump. They should be. We should have been taking measures to address this in January. We should have had relief legislation in place in February, as/before places closed. 

Holy poll batman.

I just voted my opinion.  I'm sorry the board feels the need to shred you for posting it, but that is this board in a nutshell.

Thanks for trying.

The Future Champs said:
Yes, the liberal American media has caused China and Italy to go on lockdown by sensationalizing the coronavirus.   Good thinking, tex.
They have such far reaching powers.

Yes.  The liberal media has basically co-opted the office of the POTUS and has forced President Trump to bow to their will of using this virus to destroy his re-election.  That's some powerful stuff right there. 

It’s the biggest story on earth right now, and it’s not close.

Is the liberal media now also in charge of the other 150 or so countries with Coronavirus?

Its quite literally the biggest public health crisis any of us have ever lived through.

Holy poll batman.

I just voted my opinion.  I'm sorry the board feels the need to shred you for posting it, but that is this board in a nutshell.

Thanks for trying.
Because its a pretty bad question.  Which is why he and the other 7 who voted that the media has gone overboard has not offered a single instance or reason why they voted that way.

What do you think he was trying?

I'm currently 1k miles away from house, renting a home elsewhere. My company doesn't have a single open office on either coast. My company will begin laying people off in a month. I haven't interacted in person with a friend or family member in almost 10 days (outside of wife and kids). My kids schools are both closed for the remainder of the year. The Olympics were just pushed back 12 months. The NBA, MLB, & NHL all have canceled/postponed their seasons. 

Yup, clearly a media sensation event. 

Models are showing NYC needing tens of thousands more hospital beds than are available. Based on that a shocking number of people are going to die. I don't believe the liberal media controls the models.

Voted no.

@TripItUp If you somehow, hopefully not, contracted Covid-19 would you continue to place blame on the so called sensationalism by "left-leaning" media?

Voted no.

@TripItUp If you somehow, hopefully not, contracted Covid-19 would you continue to place blame on the so called sensationalism by "left-leaning" media?
There is a decent chance I have contracted it as I had symptoms and was flying to places like SF and Seattle during the spread.

You can have the virus and still believe the media is sensationalizing the event IMHO.  

Also, I haven't given my opinion.

There is a decent chance I have contracted it as I had symptoms and was flying to places like SF and Seattle during the spread.

You can have the virus and still believe the media is sensationalizing the event IMHO.  

Also, I haven't given my opinion.
Have you self quarantined or are you still going about your pre-coronavirus normal daily life?

This question makes absolutely zero sense to me.  The media didn't shut down nations, including our nation as begun with a travel ban from our extremely anti-media president.  No one hates the media more than Trump and he has repeatedly stated how seriously we need to take this.

+1

I voted no.  This crises touches upon every single aspect (health, science, statistics, political, economic, environmental) of our lives individually, locally, nationally, and worldwide.  Tens of thousands have died and will die.  I'll give the media a pass on reporting about.

India has ordered a complete shutdown. Just goes to show you how powerful the American  liberal media is. 
Yes...including police stopping people asking where they are going. (according to someone my wife was speaking to on her India team this morning).  That person was going to a doctor as their child fell and separated a shoulder.

Yes...including police stopping people asking where they are going. (according to someone my wife was speaking to on her India team this morning).  That person was going to a doctor as their child fell and separated a shoulder.
Separated shoulders suck, by the way. I got one playing flag football a decade ago, and it hurt like hell. Had to wear a sling for a week as I was moving stuff into my new house.

Maybe.  We won’t know until all of this is over.
I'm surprised more are not taking this stance, but with the news in New York I can see how people may be influenced by what's going on in their own backyard.

The Guy in Iowa is a lot less concerned than the guy in New York.

Ask the doctors and epidemiologists if the media is overhyping this. I'll side with them.
Some counterarguments to that.

They are trained to save lives, not just some of them but all of them.  The Hippocratic oath specifically mentions disease.

As Trump stated, "if it was up to the doctors we'd be locked down for 2 years."

Doctor's aren't trained to think about other global, negative impacts where the "cure is worse than the problem."

Some counterarguments to that.

They are trained to save lives, not just some of them but all of them.  The Hippocratic oath specifically mentions disease.

As Trump stated, "if it was up to the doctors we'd be locked down for 2 years."

Doctor's aren't trained to think about other global, negative impacts where the "cure is worse than the problem."
Science says look to the evidence. South Korea, China, and Japan have seemingly stopped the increase in cases in far less than 2 years, hyperbole that Trump pulled out of his ###.  And yes, doctors are trained to save lives which seems to be what we need at the moment. Trump is concerned about the stock market because he needs to run on that over the summer and fall.

The "cure is worse than the problem" greatly depends on your perspective, doesn't it. When its your wife dying, at least you can comfort her by pointing to the tremendous market performance.

Users who are viewing this thread