Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TripItUp

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus?

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I'll close this down in a week...and then open another one every month.

If you vote please make a post with your vote to facilitate future conversation.

Edited by TripItUp

No. Its being treated appropriately by the media and medical experts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

facilitate future conversation.

I think you need to state the implicit assumption you are making in your thread title.

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I think you need to state the implicit assumption you are making in your thread title.

I'm speaking to the left leaning media.   Fox News, for example, should not be included in your opinion of the "liberal media" unless you believe Fox to be liberal.

• Laughing 1

Its being underplayed by our radical right-wingers.

They avoid science and stick with their own selfish belief systems.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I'm speaking to the left leaning media.   Fox News, for example, should not be included in your opinion of the "liberal media" unless you believe Fox to be liberal.

That’s not what I mean. I understand who’s included in that. I’m saying you’re making an imperative statement that it is overreacting and I’m asking why. I’m in Louisiana and the #### has genuinely hit the fan. I know one family that has it, a coworker with a niece, a friend who’s little girl whose classmate’s dad is in ICU. I’ve got a coworker whose niece just escaped critical care. A friend who’s a nurse and another coworker whose a nurse. So please tell me what the hell is being overhyped.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

That’s not what I mean. I understand who’s included in that. I’m saying you’re making an imperative statement that it is overreacting and I’m asking why. I’m in Louisiana and the #### has genuinely hit the fan. I know one family that has it, a coworker with a niece, a friend who’s little girl whose classmate’s dad is in ICU. I’ve got a coworker whose niece just escaped critical care. A friend who’s a nurse and another coworker whose a nurse. So please tell me what the hell is being overhyped.

So your vote is no.

Thank you for your opinion.  :thumbup:

Yes, the liberal American media has caused China and Italy to go on lockdown by sensationalizing the coronavirus.   Good thinking, tex.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

Yes, the liberal American media has caused China and Italy to go on lockdown by sensationalizing the coronavirus.   Good thinking, tex.

Damn they’re good. (Don’t forget Britain and the rest of Europe.) 

SMH.  No other response is appropriate but, SMH.  

Well maybe :wall:, yeah that works too.  

Posted (edited)

This question makes absolutely zero sense to me.  The media didn't shut down nations, including our nation as begun with a travel ban from our extremely anti-media president.  No one hates the media more than Trump and he has repeatedly stated how seriously we need to take this.

If anything the media UNDER-reacted to this.  6 weeks ago we could have done this social distancing thing for 2 weeks and banned international travel and been clear and done with this thing.  Now we will probably end up having to shut down the entire economy for 3-4 months.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your question is based on several flawed premises, starting with the fact that this story is global and most of the world media is not liberal.

Also, the liberal U.S. media is allowing the Republican government to lead them around by the nose, airing daily press conferences live on every major news station. Remember the days when CNN used to fact-check Trump live-on-the-air? They've completely abandoned that idea, which now gives Trump free rein to inject misinformation and miscoherence directly into the public consciousness. That counts as a victory in some Republican circles.

At any rate, if our Republican leaders really believed that the liberal media had gone too far, then they'd still be crying "hoax!" and "just a flu, bro."

I’m sure there are clips one can find with liberal media types going overboard but, overall, the media has been good on this.

No, this virus is legitimately dangerous. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

If anything the media UNDER-reacted to this.  6 weeks ago we could have done this social distancing thing for 2 weeks and banned international travel and been clear and done with this thing.  Now we will probably end up having to shut down the entire economy for 3-4 months.

Absolutely.  Everyone got duped by China and their WHO puppet back in January.

What exactly has the liberal media done? They’ve reported, they’ve been asking the president about it, he’s basically said it’s under control and not to worry. 
So they’re critical of Trump. They should be. We should have been taking measures to address this in January. We should have had relief legislation in place in February, as/before places closed. 

• Like 2

Holy poll batman.

I just voted my opinion.  I'm sorry the board feels the need to shred you for posting it, but that is this board in a nutshell.

Thanks for trying.

6 hours ago, The Future Champs said:

They have such far reaching powers.

Yes.  The liberal media has basically co-opted the office of the POTUS and has forced President Trump to bow to their will of using this virus to destroy his re-election.  That's some powerful stuff right there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Yes.  The liberal media has basically co-opted the office of the POTUS and has forced President Trump to bow to their will of using this virus to destroy his re-election.  That's some powerful stuff right there. 

Diabolical!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

It’s the biggest story on earth right now, and it’s not close.

Is the liberal media now also in charge of the other 150 or so countries with Coronavirus?

Its quite literally the biggest public health crisis any of us have ever lived through.

Edited by Skoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Holy poll batman.

I just voted my opinion.  I'm sorry the board feels the need to shred you for posting it, but that is this board in a nutshell.

Thanks for trying.

Because its a pretty bad question.  Which is why he and the other 7 who voted that the media has gone overboard has not offered a single instance or reason why they voted that way.

What do you think he was trying?

• Thinking 1

28 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

What do you think he was trying?

The same thing he always does with his threads. For a guy who claims to be independent he almost always takes shots at the left.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm currently 1k miles away from house, renting a home elsewhere. My company doesn't have a single open office on either coast. My company will begin laying people off in a month. I haven't interacted in person with a friend or family member in almost 10 days (outside of wife and kids). My kids schools are both closed for the remainder of the year. The Olympics were just pushed back 12 months. The NBA, MLB, & NHL all have canceled/postponed their seasons. 

Yup, clearly a media sensation event. 

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Models are showing NYC needing tens of thousands more hospital beds than are available. Based on that a shocking number of people are going to die. I don't believe the liberal media controls the models.

Edited by mrip541
  • Like 1

Voted no.

@TripItUp If you somehow, hopefully not, contracted Covid-19 would you continue to place blame on the so called sensationalism by "left-leaning" media?

3 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

Voted no.

@TripItUp If you somehow, hopefully not, contracted Covid-19 would you continue to place blame on the so called sensationalism by "left-leaning" media?

There is a decent chance I have contracted it as I had symptoms and was flying to places like SF and Seattle during the spread.

You can have the virus and still believe the media is sensationalizing the event IMHO.  

Also, I haven't given my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mile High said:

The same thing he always does with his threads. For a guy who claims to be independent he almost always takes shots at the left.

No shot at the left.   This is a conservative talking point right now.

• Laughing 1

12 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

There is a decent chance I have contracted it as I had symptoms and was flying to places like SF and Seattle during the spread.

You can have the virus and still believe the media is sensationalizing the event IMHO.  

Also, I haven't given my opinion.

Have you self quarantined or are you still going about your pre-coronavirus normal daily life?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

Have you self quarantined or are you still going about your pre-coronavirus normal daily life?

quarantined...I take it very seriously....most adult Californians are that I know.

Edited by TripItUp

2 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

quarantined...I take it very seriously....most adult Californians are that I know.

So in reality its not sensationalism at all and it's very serious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

So in reality its not sensationalism at all and it's very serious.

Depends on one's perception of the media's coverage.

10 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

This question makes absolutely zero sense to me.  The media didn't shut down nations, including our nation as begun with a travel ban from our extremely anti-media president.  No one hates the media more than Trump and he has repeatedly stated how seriously we need to take this.

+1

• Like 1

I voted no.  This crises touches upon every single aspect (health, science, statistics, political, economic, environmental) of our lives individually, locally, nationally, and worldwide.  Tens of thousands have died and will die.  I'll give the media a pass on reporting about.

India has ordered a complete shutdown. Just goes to show you how powerful the American  liberal media is. 

• Thinking 1

Has President Trump Gone Too Far In Falling For The Liberal Media's Sensationalizing Of The Coronavirus?

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

India has ordered a complete shutdown. Just goes to show you how powerful the American  liberal media is. 

Yes...including police stopping people asking where they are going. (according to someone my wife was speaking to on her India team this morning).  That person was going to a doctor as their child fell and separated a shoulder.

20 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Yes...including police stopping people asking where they are going. (according to someone my wife was speaking to on her India team this morning).  That person was going to a doctor as their child fell and separated a shoulder.

Separated shoulders suck, by the way. I got one playing flag football a decade ago, and it hurt like hell. Had to wear a sling for a week as I was moving stuff into my new house.

13 hours ago, TripItUp said:

I'll close this down in a week...and then open another one every month.

If you vote please make a post with your vote to facilitate future conversation.

Ask the doctors and epidemiologists if the media is overhyping this. I'll side with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Liberal media 2020. They get #### done!!!

• Like 1

Maybe.  We won’t know until all of this is over.

1 hour ago, jonessed said:

Maybe.  We won’t know until all of this is over.

I'm surprised more are not taking this stance, but with the news in New York I can see how people may be influenced by what's going on in their own backyard.

The Guy in Iowa is a lot less concerned than the guy in New York.

1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Ask the doctors and epidemiologists if the media is overhyping this. I'll side with them.

Some counterarguments to that.

They are trained to save lives, not just some of them but all of them.  The Hippocratic oath specifically mentions disease.

As Trump stated, "if it was up to the doctors we'd be locked down for 2 years."

Doctor's aren't trained to think about other global, negative impacts where the "cure is worse than the problem."

4 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

As Trump stated,

I think I found the flaw.

I don't mean to be sarcastic but Trump is not a reliable source for medical opinion, even his own CV19 response team's.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Some counterarguments to that.

They are trained to save lives, not just some of them but all of them.  The Hippocratic oath specifically mentions disease.

As Trump stated, "if it was up to the doctors we'd be locked down for 2 years."

Doctor's aren't trained to think about other global, negative impacts where the "cure is worse than the problem."

Science says look to the evidence. South Korea, China, and Japan have seemingly stopped the increase in cases in far less than 2 years, hyperbole that Trump pulled out of his ###.  And yes, doctors are trained to save lives which seems to be what we need at the moment. Trump is concerned about the stock market because he needs to run on that over the summer and fall.

The "cure is worse than the problem" greatly depends on your perspective, doesn't it. When its your wife dying, at least you can comfort her by pointing to the tremendous market performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1