Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TripItUp

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus?

Has the Liberal Media Gone too Far Sensationalizing the Coronavirus?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jonessed said:

Maybe.  We won’t know until all of this is over.

How will we know when all of this is over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I'm surprised more are not taking this stance, but with the news in New York I can see how people may be influenced by what's going on in their own backyard.

The Guy in Iowa is a lot less concerned than the guy in New York.

 

Because we don't need to wait to see how bad this already is and has been around the world.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I'm currently 1k miles away from house, renting a home elsewhere. My company doesn't have a single open office on either coast. My company will begin laying people off in a month. I haven't interacted in person with a friend or family member in almost 10 days (outside of wife and kids). My kids schools are both closed for the remainder of the year. The Olympics were just pushed back 12 months. The NBA, MLB, & NHL all have canceled/postponed their seasons. 

Yup, clearly a media sensation event. 

Democratic hoax!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amused to Death said:

Ask the doctors and epidemiologists if the media is overhyping this. I'll side with them.

Aww what do they know. I'd rather side with random internet guy.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Aww what do they know. I'd rather side with random internet guy.

You don't need Random Internet Guy, you can trust the politician who desperately needs the stock market, unemployment numbers, and GDP to rebound so he can get re-elected. Who's more honest than him?

The doctors? What do they know, they're just interested in saving lives!

Edited by Amused to Death
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Depends on one's perception of the media's coverage.

Also depends on one's definition of the "liberal media" 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, I'd say the "liberal media" has gone too far in allowing Trump to spread his daily propaganda.

Really should simply report on the press conferences, and not air them live.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

If anything, I'd say the "liberal media" has gone too far in allowing Trump to spread his daily propaganda.

Really should simply report on the press conferences, and not air them live.

you don't think the President should address the public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TripItUp said:

you don't think the President should address the public?

No.  I think he does far more harm than good with his daily pressers.

He should be busting heads together in Congress and getting a deal done, and let the professionals address the public.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

No.  I think he does far more harm than good with his daily pressers.

He should be busting heads together in Congress and getting a deal done, and let the professionals address the public.

Isn't that what he did until the Democrats told the rest of America to go to hell and the proceeded to hold up the bill?

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

Isn't that what he did until the Democrats told the rest of America to go to hell and the proceeded to hold up the bill?

No - he has not been involved in the negotiations.  He sent Mnuchin as his Rep.

Lets face it - he really is not very good at negotiations.  But, he should have put the good of the country before his own interests, and brought leaders from both parties into the WH - and locked everyone in a room until they reached a compromise.

He should never have allowed McConnell leave on a 3-day weekend.

But, that takes leadership - not bullying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Isn't that what he did until the Democrats told the rest of America to go to hell and the proceeded to hold up the bill?

No.  It also isn't what he did until Mitch McConnell and the fascist majority tried to steal $500BN to dole out free of oversight for personal and political gain.  Thank God the democrats were on the watch.  Evil held at bay at least one more day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, GawainB said:

No.  It also isn't what he did until Mitch McConnell and the fascist majority tried to steal $500BN to dole out free of oversight for personal and political gain.  Thank God the democrats were on the watch.  Evil held at bay at least one more day.

Yeah that's not even remotely true.  

Seems like more made up nonsense to fool the rubes to cover up the Democrats disgusting behavior on this whole deal.

Even a bunch of Democrats were disgusted at their behavior.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Yeah that's not even remotely true.  

Seems like more made up nonsense to fool the rubes to cover up the Democrats disgusting behavior on this whole deal.

Even a bunch of Democrats were disgusted at their behavior.

It is weird how that works. There were several Democrats/independents that were disgusted at the Republicans and Democrats behavior. Yet here you are, and the OP are only upset at one side. Very odd. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

It is weird how that works. There were several Democrats/independents that were disgusted at the Republicans and Democrats behavior. Yet here you are, and the OP are only upset at one side. Very odd. 

Exactly...cant admit the senate GOP proposal was bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TripItUp said:

you don't think the President should address the public?

Which President?

Our current President? No.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TripItUp said:
5 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

If anything, I'd say the "liberal media" has gone too far in allowing Trump to spread his daily propaganda.

Really should simply report on the press conferences, and not air them live.

you don't think the President should address the public?

All politicians should be given a 100-lie pass for telling lies during press live press conferences.

After that, all their speeches should be fact-checked before being aired.

If he wants to use his personal twitter account to spread more misinformation after he blows by the 100-lie limit, that's his business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say no.  The coverage of covid19 by the “liberal” media in America is on par with what I’ve seen in my own country (Canada) and on par with what I’ve seen internationally.  

The only Coverage globally that I’ve seen trying to play down the threat is Fox News.  And Trump. Until he couldn’t.   But is now back to trying to do.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Which President?

Our current President? No.

https://thehill.com/blogs/news/blog-briefing-room/489439-seattle-radio-station-wont-air-trump-briefings-because-of-false-or

Quote

A public radio station in Washington state, KUOW, will no longer be airing White House press briefings on the coronavirus “due to a pattern of false or misleading information provided that cannot be fact checked in real time.”

The president has participated in the briefings with the administration’s coronavirus task force almost every day, standing alongside members of his Cabinet and public health officials. 

"KUOW is monitoring White House briefings for the latest news on the coronavirus — and we will continue to share all news relevant to Washington State with our listeners," the station said in a tweet.

"However, we will not be airing the briefings live due to a pattern of false or misleading information provided that cannot be fact checked in real time," it added.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, BladeRunner said:

Isn't that what he did until the Democrats told the rest of America to go to hell and the proceeded to hold up the bill?

False. He hasn't done anything but tell lies. In addition, the Dems didn't hold up a great bill by the GOP, they stopped a crap bill from being passed. I'm glad they did. I do not want Trump and Mnuchin having carte blanche with 500 billion dollars of taxpayer money with zero oversight. You shouldn't either.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The left is indeed over playing it.

The right is indeed under playing it.

Duh.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

False. He hasn't done anything but tell lies. In addition, the Dems didn't hold up a great bill by the GOP, they stopped a crap bill from being passed. I'm glad they did. I do not want Trump and Mnuchin having carte blanche with 500 billion dollars of taxpayer money with zero oversight. You shouldn't either.

Just remember that those that supported this are going to pay dearly in November.

The American people aren't going to put up with BS and hold ups like the Democrats did. They seriously miscalculated the American people.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Choke said:

THERE WAS NEVER A BILL.

1- A Bill is created by the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.

2- A Joint Resolution is made by BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS.

What the Senate put forward was NOTHING. Either its created with BOTH (which it only had the Senate) or it has no credence and is certainly not a Bill.

Wasn't Obamacare created in the Senate?

I'm going off the top of my head here but I could have swore that there was a fight over Obamacare because it originated in the Senate.

 

Edited by BladeRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Choke said:

They make changes and fight back and forth, and even within chambers.

Yeah but something sticking in my head that one of the arguments against Obamacare was that it did not originate in the house. Or some other piece of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 6:04 PM, TripItUp said:

you don't think the President should address the public?

Do you think a compulsive liar should be given a microphone to address anyone?  Nothing he says can be believed.  Nothing.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Choke said:

That bill originated in the House, HR 3590.

Sponsor:  House Rep. Rangel, Charles B. [D-NY-15]

I believe so...remember Pelosi taking the heat for "“We have to pass the bill so that you can see what is in it.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 7:04 PM, TripItUp said:

you don't think the President should address the public?

No he shouldn't and some of the media has been either skipping covering his press conferences or cutting away early. I really have to admit I keep thinking that the President has gone to far and is going to lose part of his base. His press conferences are such a bunch of garbage but I am sure it doesn't make a lick of difference to his base. I have never understood them and never will. There will simply come a time in a year or 4 plus years this stupidity will be over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Just remember that those that supported this are going to pay dearly in November.

The American people aren't going to put up with BS and hold ups like the Democrats did. They seriously miscalculated the American people.

Again, you are wrong here. What you are claiming didn't actually happen. The holdup has been the senate and its GOP majority. And yes, voters will remember the way the GOP tried to siphon off 500 billion of taxpayer money into a corporate slush fund with zero oversight. Any holdup that occured is because of that little snafu.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what I am hearing from my friend who works at a hospital in SE Michigan, no this has not been sensationalized. We are just at the early stages of the sickness and he said it's like triage at a warzone. Patients are coming in faster than they can handle them and the disease works so fast. People get put on vents and don't get better, they just rapidly decline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

Again, you are wrong here. What you are claiming didn't actually happen. The holdup has been the senate and its GOP majority. And yes, voters will remember the way the GOP tried to siphon off 500 billion of taxpayer money into a corporate slush fund with zero oversight. Any holdup that occured is because of that little snafu.

Sure, people who hate Trump will recall the initial concerns with the bill.  Everyone else will only care about what actually got passed which is a bill which contains numerous restrictions on the 'slush fund' as well as an oversight board and the creation of an inspector general position to review how the money is spent.  So spending your time making hay out of that will only win you votes you already had and everyone else will just see worthless partisan rhetoric.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point no one should care about "which party is winning".  We need to remain diligent and do what it takes to keep the pandemic from overwhelming out health care system and at the same time help the American people and businesses remain solvent.

Let's do that and worry about the election this fall.   

(it is the president's job to lead by example in this regard when the country is in a crisis) 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.  They sure haven’t.  It’s a catastrophe.  

But they spent so much time overplaying their hand with Trump/Russia scandal and impeachment spectacle, that people are just numb to it anymore.  They don’t know how to respond now that a real crisis is upon us.  There is no more room for them to cry wolf.  Four years of hysterical, overblown media coverage will do that.  People just think it’s another attack on the president.

The media blew its credibility, and people don’t respect it as an institution anymore. I don’t trust them to cover this responsibly either.  Shame too.  Kids were partying on the beach and having a big beer bash just a week ago.  And now they want to put people back to work!  It’s a huge failure all around.  

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read through this entire thread and maybe I missed it, but has anyone made the affirmative case that the media is sensationalizing it? Even the OP said he didn't have an opinion on it. Some 20 people voted yes, so I would appreciate hearing from any of them why they believe that. Ideally with specific examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Nope.  They sure haven’t.  It’s a catastrophe.  

But they spent so much time overplaying their hand with Trump/Russia scandal and impeachment spectacle, that people are just numb to it anymore.  They don’t know how to respond now that a real crisis is upon us.  There is no more room for them to cry wolf.  Four years of hysterical, overblown media coverage will do that.  People just think it’s another attack on the president.

The media blew its credibility, and people don’t respect it as an institution anymore. I don’t trust them to cover this responsibly either.  Shame too.  Kids were partying on the beach and having a big beer bash just a week ago.  And now they want to put people back to work!  It’s a huge failure all around.  

Or, maybe they were correct about both those issues, and people just chose to disregard it because enough voted for the spectacle and didn't wan it to end.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

If it weren't for exposure risk and compromising privacy, I'd advocate a national "Tag along with a hospital employee" day. Nobody who's seen what this is doing to our healthcare system already, several weeks before cases peak even under the best case scenario, would walk away thinking the pandemic's impact is overblown. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Yeah but something sticking in my head that one of the arguments against Obamacare was that it did not originate in the house. Or some other piece of it.

All bills that affect revenue must start in the House. The Senate re-purposed a House bill dealing with taxes and military housing into their vehicle for healthcare reform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Nope.  They sure haven’t.  It’s a catastrophe.  

But they spent so much time overplaying their hand with Trump/Russia scandal and impeachment spectacle, that people are just numb to it anymore.  They don’t know how to respond now that a real crisis is upon us.  There is no more room for them to cry wolf.  Four years of hysterical, overblown media coverage will do that.  People just think it’s another attack on the president.

The media blew its credibility, and people don’t respect it as an institution anymore. I don’t trust them to cover this responsibly either.  Shame too.  Kids were partying on the beach and having a big beer bash just a week ago.  And now they want to put people back to work!  It’s a huge failure all around.  

Fantastic post!  :thumbup:

This post should end the thread right here, right now.

This is what a lot of people aren't understanding about the media.  

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA now tracking a mortality rate of 5%...yea it's just the flu.  

Every single news outlet in the world is treating as the serious issue it is - minus fox 'news'.  So the answer is no

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Last night EMS in New York took 6,406 medical 911 calls, the highest volume ever, surpassing 9/11/01.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Wasn't Obamacare created in the Senate?

I'm going off the top of my head here but I could have swore that there was a fight over Obamacare because it originated in the Senate.

 

No....that's not how it works as you've been told multiple times :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, jonessed said:

Maybe.  We won’t know until all of this is over.

That's the thing:

If the scientists are right, and we are on the verge of a catastrophic pandemic, and part of the way to stop it is to have the media scream: "THIS IS A HUGE EMERGENCY," and people act accordingly and we actually make it so it's not so bad, then you will come back here (judging by your post above) and say: "they overreacted."

There is no good way to say this is an overreaction, because we are taking action based, in part, on the media's reporting.  So I don't accept your premise that we'll know when this is "over."  The only thing we could know for sure is if the media reacted appropriately (if enough people die).  But if we control it, that won't tell us anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, matuski said:

The left is indeed over playing it.

The right is indeed under playing it.

Duh.

SUPER-DUPER-AWESOME HOT TAKE!!!!  ZOOM LOOKLOOKLOOK.

Edited by Sweet J
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The downfall with society is that those that refuse to act, those that obfuscate, those that actively deny and twist can do so without harm to themselves.  Fox news wants to call this a 'hoax' then they should be rounded up and put in an arena with covid-19.  Don't believe in global warming then you can pay for moving people away from sea level rise and pay farmers when their fields are dry...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, The Commish said:

No....that's not how it works as you've been told multiple times :shrug: 

Sorry. But based upon the partisan talking points that are prevalent in this forum, I hardly ever take anyone's word at face value.

And you can stop pretending to be my dad.  Save your condescending attitude and snark for others. 

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

SUPER-DUPER-AWESOME HOT TAKE!!!!  ZOOM LOOKLOOKLOOK.

Take a deep breath man, sometimes the truth hurts.  You will be alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

No....that's not how it works as you've been told multiple times :shrug: 

Please see the subheading "Senate". The Senate used a bill the House passed and sent to the Senate as their way of crafting a healthcare reform bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act#Healthcare_debate,_2008–10

ETA: I am in no way trying to be snarky or gotcha. Reid followed the rules, but check out how many amendments the senate added to a bill originally intended to provide military families tax relief for housing.

Edited by Lutherman2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.