What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do I tip restaurant delivery?? (1 Viewer)

DallasDMac

Footballguy
Full disclosure, we NEVER get delivery. I don't imagine I have had any food whatsoever delivered to my home since pizza delivery instituted gas fees back in the day. It has been well over a decade. Tonight we are having our first restaurant delivery diner and I realize I have absolutely no idea what an appropriate tip is. This will be a meal for two that is $30. What is an appropriate tip range for something like this? I want to support these folks but with the economy I'm no Chet or Otis. 

Edit to add: It is a chain, not a mom and pop place unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t the driver just pocket the entire tip? So just ordering helped the restaurant- tipping excessively is only helping the delivery person (not that that’s a bad thing). Now if you go to pick up you can tip for the staff packing it up.

With today’s environment, the minimum I’d tip for delivery is $10. But probably $20. 

I might need to have groceries delivered from instacart in another week or two. If I do, I’ll be tipping $50. I think that’s appropriate to have someone risk going into a store, buy your groceries and bring them to your house. 

If you're employed, getting your full paycheck and working from home, now is not the time to be a tightwad.  I would say double your normal amount, I generally tip 20%, honestly, I am tipping 40% right now even if it all goes to the driver, I don't care, he's risking getting Covid-19, kudos for nutting up and showing up.

If you're employed, getting your full paycheck and working from home, now is not the time to be a tightwad.  I would say double your normal amount, I generally tip 20%, honestly, I am tipping 40% right now even if it all goes to the driver, I don't care, he's risking getting Covid-19, kudos for nutting up and showing up.
Yes. Especially considering I am not going willing to take the same risk. 

Wouldn’t the driver just pocket the entire tip? So just ordering helped the restaurant- tipping excessively is only helping the delivery person (not that that’s a bad thing). Now if you go to pick up you can tip for the staff packing it up.
Delivery people usually drive junkers because of how much of a beating their cars take doing so much city driving. They have a lot more costs associated in doing their job than the cook.  

Adding a roll of toilet paper to any tip would probably get a good laugh out of the driver. I am sure everybody at the restaurant would get a good laugh too. 

You guys tipping the grocery store cashiers?  Lady wiping down the carts?

mailman?

what about a doctor visit?  Tipping the doc, nurse and receptionist?

mailman?

I'm carrying a stack of 100's just in case I need to go to the ER.   I also have some 5's for the gas guy; I live in NJ.

mailman?

It's a fair question. I'm just much more concerned with keeping our local joints afloat. It's basically the owner(s) and a couple staff running each shop - in one case, the staff is the owner's kids. 

mailman?

Look at Mr Pink over here.

Also, if tipping try and do so in cash, if using apps there have been numerous instances of them where they take a massive cut, it defeats the purpose to tip $5 directly to doordash or whatever. 

Delivery people usually drive junkers because of how much of a beating their cars take doing so much city driving. They have a lot more costs associated in doing their job than the cook.  
I said it's not a bad thing to help the delivery drivers - I was just responding to the notion that the tip would help the restaurant staff.

Look at Mr Pink over here.

Also, if tipping try and do so in cash, if using apps there have been numerous instances of them where they take a massive cut, it defeats the purpose to tip $5 directly to doordash or whatever. 
How long should i bake the cash and roll of TP? At what temp?

Most viruses and bacteria would be killed quickly at ~ 160 degrees. Alternatively you could do it for longer at a lower temperature... or at a higher temp for safety. I recommend the highest temp that will not damage the money or TP.

Most viruses and bacteria would be killed quickly at ~ 160 degrees. Alternatively you could do it for longer at a lower temperature... or at a higher temp for safety. I recommend the highest temp that will not damage the money or TP.
So about 425. Cool. I will put some hand sanitizer in with it too. 

(Not being serious) 

Im probably in the minority, but I never consider percentage for delivery. I tip the same whether they had to deliver one pizza or three.  :shrug:

You are taking a risk...maybe not the same risk. If he/she has it, its likely on the containers they are delivering to you. 
Containers go right in the trash, food goes in the oven at 300 for 10 minutes and we wash up. Counters get wiped down. 

I picked up Lupe Tortilla for the family on Sunday.

Usually a sit down, drink beer/margaritas, get kids desert, etc event.  Tip server 20%, bill usually ~$125.  The check was for $48.. I tipped $80.

If I am ordering whataburger/pizza to be delivered?  $2 to $5.

Containers go right in the trash, food goes in the oven at 300 for 10 minutes and we wash up. Counters get wiped down. 
Is this something you decided to do or something that was recommended somewhere? 

I'm interested in getting takeout again soon after avoiding it for the last two weeks but haven't because I don't know what to do to keep it safe

Is this something you decided to do or something that was recommended somewhere? 

I'm interested in getting takeout again soon after avoiding it for the last two weeks but haven't because I don't know what to do to keep it safe
We decided it and then read an article the other day that said while it’s not determined to be necessary, it is good idea to do to be safe. They don’t know how long it lives on those surfaces. 

I know its schtick, but isn't circulating cash a legitimate concern?  Oddly, Giannis Antetokounmpo raised this issue on twitter a day or two ago and its not something I was thinking about.  he asked something like, "are we all going to get new money?"  I would think, with all the deliveries going down, people would be encouraged to pay only via electronic means.

I picked up some food at a local restaurant yesterday, along with a 32 OZ margarita. Total was $51 and I tipped $50. I'll continue to keep tipping these folks very well during this time. They need the money much more than I do.
It probably doesn't get said enough about you, but you sir are one of the most generous humans I've ever encountered.  Even though we've never met, I know that your heart is full of gold and good intentions.  Bravo.

We decided it and then read an article the other day that said while it’s not determined to be necessary, it is good idea to do to be safe. They don’t know how long it lives on those surfaces. 
We have a local gelateria that we, and many others, bring our own bowls.  They have temporarily stopped allowing this.  And no cash payments.

It probably doesn't get said enough about you, but you sir are one of the most generous humans I've ever encountered.  Even though we've never met, I know that your heart is full of gold and good intentions.  Bravo.
Thanks GM - that means a lot to me.

My wife and I both have struggled a lot in our lives, and now that we have some means, we do try to help as many people as we can. It never feels like enough, but we are happy to be in a position to make a difference to someone.

With today’s environment, the minimum I’d tip for delivery is $10. But probably $20. 

I might need to have groceries delivered from instacart in another week or two. If I do, I’ll be tipping $50. I think that’s appropriate to have someone risk going into a store, buy your groceries and bring them to your house. 
Whoa. 

Users who are viewing this thread