What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I got tested for Covid-19 9 days ago, and still can't get results? (1 Viewer)

modogg

Footballguy
The Covid-9 thread seemed to large for my quick question. This virus has seemed to have brought up all kinds of good conversations that hopefully don't fade a few weeks after the official quarantine measures wear off, but i can not wrap my head around getting a test 9 days ago and still not knowing the results. I get the whole idea of being ill-prepared with supplies and tests, etc. but once an individual gets a test, results shouldn't be that hard to get right? they initially told me results would be 2-3 days

I guess i am just interested in hearing an answer as to why this would be such an issue. They have told me that the results are being held up at the Department of Health (i assumed state level, but no idea). 

My sister in law was able to get tested on Friday and was told results would be back in 48-72 hours. When she called back on Monday they said it would take a week or more.

The FDA has actively impeded testing.
I don't even understand what the FDA is doing. I think I read a drug company has been given exclusive rights to a drug that might be used to help fight the virus. They were able to get the special "orphan" status because less than 200k people have Covid-19 so it's considered rare but FFS we are going to pass 200k pretty quickly and Gilead will have exclusive rights to manufacture and profit? Maybe I am missing something but that seems so messed up. 

Were you showing symptoms?

How are you feeling now?
had 4/5 of the main symptoms since around March 6 or 7. Ruled out a bunch of other stuff (was on antibiotics and a steroid for a week to rule out a deep sinus infection). also negative results for flu and pneumonia. 

Symptoms have been funny though. Chest felt ok a week ago, but last 3-4 days has been tight and burning sensation. cough is on for a few days, 1-2 days clear, and then back. muscle and joint ache was pretty significant. 

I am guessing the results are going to vary state to state. Last I read, MN did not have a backlog because the Mayo clinic was able to help process the tests. I have zero insight as to what the FDA is or isnt doing. 

didn't Trump claim to have been tested & had results back the next day?  special circumstance, perhaps, but i'd suspect at least 10 days for test results for a regular joe.

how are you feeling today?

just seeing this - hope you are feeling better. I wonder if it is a negative test they are in less of a hurry to inform you?

I was talking to a Dr. buddy yesterday. He said that of the tests he has ordered, he has had people who he was pretty convinced were positive come up negative and vice-versa. :shrug:

didn't Trump claim to have been tested & had results back the next day?  special circumstance, perhaps, but i'd suspect at least 10 days for test results for a regular joe.

how are you feeling today?
It’s 24 hours with most hospitals here.  A few still do them through the county.  That takes several days.

It’s 24 hours with most hospitals here.  A few still do them through the county.  That takes several days.
Quest is turning results around in 24 hours.  A coworker was tested yesterday and she found out it was positive today.  I was tested after her results came back and am hopeful I'll hear before the weekend is over.  In the meantime, I'm isolated in my bedroom with a pizza, 2 apples, 2 oranges, a box of protein bars, a bag of chips and a case of water which my wife was kind enough to set up for me when I called her with the news.  

just seeing this - hope you are feeling better. I wonder if it is a negative test they are in less of a hurry to inform you?

I was talking to a Dr. buddy yesterday. He said that of the tests he has ordered, he has had people who he was pretty convinced were positive come up negative and vice-versa. :shrug:
Same, hoping for the best mo. My sister in law had to wait about a week to finally get tested, and took 8 days to get the results. Negative thankfully. Good luck. 

Bro in law been waiting 9 days for results in self iso. Came back this morning positive. 14 more days. He is feeling fine per him. Was in a plane 2 weeks ago and felt flu/fever-y thereafter. 

Assume you self quarantined if you thought you might have been exposed. You must have just another day or two left so you either had it with no symptoms or didn’t get it. Enjoy life!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, our testing equipment can do something like 75-100 tests per day as they do one at a time. South Korea and other countries have a machine that can process 10,000 tests per day, and in fact they have offered the US use of that testing equipment. The FDA shot it down and decided to go with their own. It didn't work out well, so now the guidance is to to test only health workers and patients who are admitted. These reported cases are definitely not the true infection rate.

Keep in mind this info is from my brother who is working as an ER doc, and who likely already had the virus and got over it but they won't test him at this point so he isn't sure. He is on the front lines, but isn't necessarily in a position where he has all the details.

Fun fact - the hospital where he works had a shipment of PPE stolen off their dock, so they are getting 1 mask per week and essentially no other protective gear. He says intubating patients with nothing but a regular mask is horribly risky for a doctor, but the CDC is telling them to just do it. One doctor already quit because of it.

The sad thing is, the hospital he works at in Foxboro, MA is just starting to ramp up with COVID-19 cases. I can't imagine what it'll be like when it really gets going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread