What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Pence is a Good Dude (1 Viewer)

Pence is doing a masterful job, really appreciate how he’s handling this. Always comes across well and does seem like a truly good dude. 
I’m not going to get into a full discussion about Pence but let’s say this - he’s been a governor, a Congressman & a Senator and aside from his constant praising of Trump and the times he runs interference for him - like he did with Flynn - he’s a normal, capable politician. Leaving ideology out of it, he’s obviously competent, decent and respectful.

It also puts the test to Republicans who like to claim they had no other choices. They clearly did, Pence is clearly head and shoulders the better man and public official than Trump. And there are others. But Republicans chose the path they did.

I hear ya..just saying he comes across so much better than Trump or Biden.
I haven't heard Biden speak at length lately. Just these short clips where he is babbling which I don't put a lot of stock into. 

The last debate with Bernie he was good. He spoke for probably 45 minutes on a range of topics and he was fine.

I don't agree with the majority of political stances and 100% don't agree with any of his social views 
But I always knew he was a career politician who spoke ,  acted and carried himself in a professional manner and most likely would've run a government in a conventual manner that would be expected and normal  

I haven't heard Biden speak at length lately. Just these short clips where he is babbling which I don't put a lot of stock into. 

The last debate with Bernie he was good. He spoke for probably 45 minutes on a range of topics and he was fine.
Which all of Biden's critics here either can't explain or ignore since it disproves the meme and talking point that he is mentally deteriorating and incapable of any sustained intelligent response. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Which all of Biden's critics here either can't explain or ignore since it disapproves the meme and talking point that he is mentally deteriorating and incapable of any sustained intelligent response. 
One debate doesn’t disapprove anything. 

Which all of Biden's critics here either can't explain or ignore since it disapproves the meme and talking point that he is mentally deteriorating and incapable of any sustained intelligent response. 
That's easy to approve.  All the step in line candidates were attacking Bernie, and for whatever reason Bernie even didn't go after Sleepy Joe.  Joe didn't have to do anything other than restate well rehearsed canned answers.  Even then he stuttered them out half the time.  You've seen him on the talk shows, I mean news....when he has to think about an answer he drifts off into nap time and is mouth loses its connection with his brain.

I don't agree with the majority of political stances and 100% don't agree with any of his social views 
But I always knew he was a career politician who spoke ,  acted and carried himself in a professional manner and most likely would've run a government in a conventual manner that would be expected and normal  
Its amazing where the bar has been set now.

But I agree with you.

Its amazing where the bar has been set now.

But I agree with you.
I think this is what  we expect of politicians to do . follow the rule of law and listen to experts in areas that they are not informed of and use the career civil servants 
if the guy in power isn't who you voted for , im sure you will not agree with all his policies that he is going to enact but you want him to follow the rules to get them pass and at least be able to back them up in a coherent manner .
that is what the government at all levels are suppose to do for the people 
Fyi
I have no dog in this fight
im a Canadian so its an outsider opinion 

That's easy to approve.  All the step in line candidates were attacking Bernie, and for whatever reason Bernie even didn't go after Sleepy Joe.  Joe didn't have to do anything other than restate well rehearsed canned answers.  Even then he stuttered them out half the time.  You've seen him on the talk shows, I mean news....when he has to think about an answer he drifts off into nap time and is mouth loses its connection with his brain.
The answers were not given to Biden before the debate, so he had to think about the answers, if he just had canned responses, they wouldn't have matched the questions or he would not have been able to answer an unexpected question. He did great in the last debate and that contradicts your meme and talking point that he is incapable of putting two coherent sentences together. He will do just as well in any debates with Trump this fall. 

What drives me a little bit bonkers is Pence's complete unwillingness to answer a question.  I know, I know, that's most/many/all politicians.  But I just want to shake the man and 'would you please just give a direct answer?'

What drives me a little bit bonkers is Pence's complete unwillingness to answer a question.  I know, I know, that's most/many/all politicians.  But I just want to shake the man and 'would you please just give a direct answer?'
A direct answer might contradict Trump, not to mention that Pence has his eye on 2024 and any direct answers, particularly in regard to this pandemic, might come back to bite him. 

In crisis situations I really don’t care what political party someone in responsibility belongs to. I don’t waste time rooting for “my side.” Instead, I look for two qualities: 

1. Competence this means you do your job well. In this case it means listening to the experts, taking charge, making reasonable decisions, avoiding ego and assigning blame and excuse making. Admit mistakes and correct them. And be as straightforward and honest as you can with the American people. 

2. Pragmatism Avoid ideological concerns. This means that if you’re Bernie Sanders you don’t vote against TARP just because you’re concerned at who is being bailed out- not if you’re looking at a collapse of the economy. And if you’re the President during this current crisis, you order a national shutdown and you take over distribution of supplies if that’s what the experts tell you to do, and don’t worry about federalism. Ideology is fine for normal times but in crisis do what needs to be done. 

I think Pence passes the first qualification easily. The second one I’m not so sure. 

In crisis situations I really don’t care what political party someone in responsibility belongs to. I don’t waste time rooting for “my side.” Instead, I look for two qualities: 

1. Competence this means you do your job well. In this case it means listening to the experts, taking charge, making reasonable decisions, avoiding ego and assigning blame and excuse making. Admit mistakes and correct them. And be as straightforward and honest as you can with the American people. 

2. Pragmatism Avoid ideological concerns. This means that if you’re Bernie Sanders you don’t vote against TARP just because you’re concerned at who is being bailed out- not if you’re looking at a collapse of the economy. And if you’re the President during this current crisis, you order a national shutdown and you take over distribution of supplies if that’s what the experts tell you to do, and don’t worry about federalism. Ideology is fine for normal times but in crisis do what needs to be done. 

I think Pence passes the first qualification easily. The second one I’m not so sure. 
This seems like a reasonable analysis.   Nice job Tim.

I believe Pence really does generally care about others.  Except for a few moments where he has to appease, I really like these CV pressers when its just him and the docs.  I'd toast a communion shot glass of wine with the dude.  

I’m not going to get into a full discussion about Pence but let’s say this - he’s been a governor, a Congressman & a Senator and aside from his constant praising of Trump and the times he runs interference for him - like he did with Flynn - he’s a normal, capable politician. Leaving ideology out of it, he’s obviously competent, decent and respectful.

It also puts the test to Republicans who like to claim they had no other choices. They clearly did, Pence is clearly head and shoulders the better man and public official than Trump. And there are others. But Republicans chose the path they did.
You know how I feel about the President, but Pence didn't even run in the primary. The Republicans didn't choose Trump over Pence, Trump chose Pence to be his running mate.

You know how I feel about the President, but Pence didn't even run in the primary. The Republicans didn't choose Trump over Pence, Trump chose Pence to be his running mate.
I obviously understand that, and I'm leaving a lot of space in an area where Pence himself could be debated, but there is a list of GOP candidates, and non-candidates which must run 50 deep before even getting to Trump, then maybe go to 100. And as we all know parties can draft people anyway. The one thing you can obviously say about Trump is his ability to drive passion in the base and fundraising on the corporate level. I'm not saying these are not attributes for a party leader, especially as they relate to getting elected, but, to paraphrase Commodus, those virtues are not on my list.

I obviously understand that, and I'm leaving a lot of space in an area where Pence himself could be debated, but there is a list of GOP candidates, and non-candidates which must run 50 deep before even getting to Trump, then maybe go to 100. And as we all know parties can draft people anyway. The one thing you can obviously say about Trump is his ability to drive passion in the base and fundraising on the corporate level. I'm not saying these are not attributes for a party leader, especially as they relate to getting elected, but, to paraphrase Commodus, those virtues are not on my list.
I don't think anybody drafted President Trump on the Republican side of things. It seems like he went down to the local office, registered Republican, and wound up on the dais because his name and brand brought attention to the Republican primary debates. I don't think he had any party machinery behind him whatsoever. I'm actually sure he didn't because that was a huge issue in early 2016. The Republicans wanted to get as far away from him as they could.

After he was elected and delivered PA, MI, and WI to the Republicans, they were more than happy to then sell their soul for judges and corporate and high-income tax cuts. That's how it went down. He didn't fundraise his way to the top of anything, really. At least he didn't back then.

I don't think anybody drafted President Trump on the Republican side of things. It seems like he went down to the local office, registered Republican, and wound up on the dais because his name and brand brought attention to the Republican primary debates. I don't think he had any party machinery behind him whatsoever. I'm actually sure he didn't because that was a huge issue in early 2016. The Republicans wanted to get as far away from him as they could.

After he was elected and delivered PA, MI, and WI to the Republicans, they were more than happy to then sell their soul for judges and corporate and high-income tax cuts. That's how it went down. He didn't fundraise his way to the top of anything, really. At least he didn't back then.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that party machinery. He did at some point around May 2016 and the media corner, Fox, was behind him early and strong.

As for fundraising, aside from Fox and gratis media he got there, one other "virtue" (not on my list again) I'll ascribe is is his understanding of media and media time. He consumes media time like no one I've ever seen, he does understand the game, better than the players often, and that's on full display right now. - I only mention that because a great deal of fundraising is about media purchasing and he acquired it for free in 2015-16 and he still does. - In terms of actual fundraising now though, as opposed to 15-16, he's a mega-fundraising machine, direct corporate influence and buy-in like nothing we've ever seen.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that party machinery. He did at some point around May 2016 and the media corner, Fox, was behind him early and strong.

As for fundraising, aside from Fox and gratis media he got there, one other "virtue" (not on my list again) I'll ascribe is is his understanding of media and media time. He consumes media time like no one I've ever seen, he does understand the game, better than the players often, and that's on full display right now. - I only mention that because a great deal of fundraising is about media purchasing and he acquired it for free in 2015-16 and he still does. - In terms of actual fundraising now though, as opposed to 15-16, he's a mega-fundraising machine, direct corporate influence and buy-in like nothing we've ever seen.
And yet I believe that the majority of the citizenry hold your virtues as desirable and no amount of money can buy that from them in their vote. I truly believe that.

I believe Pence really does generally care about others.  Except for a few moments where he has to appease, I really like these CV pressers when its just him and the docs.  I'd toast a communion shot glass of wine with the dude.  
Don't most people genuinely care about others? Has Trump set the bar so low that this impresses people?

Can we revisit this question? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/28/coronavirus-mike-pence-tours-mayo-clinic-without-mask.html

Between this dangerous idiocy, his continual fawning of the President, and his recent absurd prediction that by Memorial Day this pandemic would be behind us, I don’t think he’s such a good dude after all. 
Nothing like setting an example. I’m even more pissed at the Mayo Clinic for scrapping their own policy and letting him in. Spineless. 

Trump is the one who won't let Pence wear a mask, I think. Trump won't allow anyone around him to look weak, and wearing a mask makes you look weak from Trump's POV.
And this weak man has the adoration of tens of millions.  They even think he's "alpha"

Idiocracy 

But Trump does have a certain genius, no doubt. 

Can we revisit this question? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/28/coronavirus-mike-pence-tours-mayo-clinic-without-mask.html

Between this dangerous idiocy, his continual fawning of the President, and his recent absurd prediction that by Memorial Day this pandemic would be behind us, I don’t think he’s such a good dude after all. 
Pence is like the hot looking girl that is surrounded by trolls.  You take away the trolls and suddenly that 10 has become a 5.

Seriously, politics or not what kind of person does this.  Not only could he get it and spread it to people but if he had it he literally could have just spread it around a hospital....

I realize he's the VP, but I'm still kind of surprised that the Mayo Clinic let them him in without a mask.

Sends such a bad message.

Well, you know, other than the putting tons of lives at risk thing.

Pence is not a good person and is clearly very ignorant, but he's still lightyears ahead of Trump in that regard and he's more competent than Biden at this stage in his life. It's very sad how low the standards have become.

A little outdated but how apropos:

Trump orders Pence to find passage in the bible where Jesus tells people to "get the hell out".

Pence, who seemed startled by the request, asked Trump if he meant the time when Jesus expelled money changers from the Temple, but Trump shook his head angrily. “No, not that. I don’t want to piss off Deutsche Bank,” he said. “I want something where Jesus tells the poor and the meek or whatever to go back to the xxxxhole places they came from.”

Seriously, politics or not what kind of person does this.  Not only could he get it and spread it to people but if he had it he literally could have just spread it around a hospital....
Seriously. The "I get tested often and I know I don't have it" is a pretty weak excuse.

Don't you not want to contract the virus? And isn't being in a ####### Covid ward one of the most likely places to catch it?

Pence is not a good person and is clearly very ignorant, but he's still lightyears ahead of Trump in that regard and he's more competent than Biden at this stage in his life. It's very sad how low the standards have become.
News Flash: Mike Pence is neither a good guy, nor remotely competent. The combination of his religious extremism and his willingness to say literally anything in exchange for lobbyist cash makes him quite the opposite.

Here is some evidence:

"Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill." --Mike Pence

He also suggested that "back handed big government disguised in do-gooder health care rhetoric" would be "more harmful to the nation" than second-hand smoke.  Source

"Frankly, condoms are a very, very poor protection against sexually transmitted diseases." -- Mike Pence Source

Pence said CO2 from burning fuels can't be the cause of increased global temperatures because it "is a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature..." not an unnatural one. “Global warming is a myth.” -- Mike Pence (2000) Source

"Republicans, from George Washington to George W. Bush just have better ideas." -- Mike Pence (My note: Washington wasn't a member of a party, was against them, and the Republican party wasn't even formed until the mid-1800s)

I realize he's the VP, but I'm still kind of surprised that the Mayo Clinic let them him in without a mask.

As bad a look for Mayo as it is Pence. Get your priorities in check. 

Nothing like setting an example. I’m even more pissed at the Mayo Clinic for scrapping their own policy and letting him in. Spineless. 
Not spineless. Pragmatic. 

Mayo clinic is going to be applying for likely millions of dollars of federal aid. As a result of the pandemic, they've instituted pay cuts, FTE cuts, benefit cuts and furloughs. Their projected losses this year are somewhere between $900 million and $3 billion. Who exactly is going to stand up in front of the VP, tell him to wear a mask, and risk passing off the most petty, vindictive administration ever, thereby potentially putting at risk all those aid dollars?

Bad situation,  but I'm not putting blame anywhere but squarely on Pence.

Not such a good dude.

Spreading it to to White House/president  is the first thing i was thinkiing

"I want to look them in the eye" is such a ridiculous excuse for not wearing a mask in that setting.  I think 3 years with his boss has severely damaged his ability to reason or use logic. 

I just don't understand why he or the administration would defy the Mayo clinic's rules, set such a poor example, and willingly take this criticism.  They could've cancelled the visit altogether, but instead CHOSE to have Pence appear and be photographed with no mask.  It was intentional and flagrant and it begs the question why.  

Is not wearing a mask some sort of power play showing the virus who's in charge?  Is it optics - does wearing a mask make him look weak or infer capitulation to a lefty agenda?  Is it to appease the open everything up because science is wrong protesters?  Like so many things this administration does, I can only shake my head in disbelief.

Users who are viewing this thread