What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GOP Rep endangers lives of colleagues - while delaying Stimulus Bill (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Brendan Buck @BrendanBuck · 18m

It is quite the statement of his character that Thomas Massie is legitimately threatening the health of his colleagues, many in their 60s or 70s even 80s, for a stunt on a bill he knows is going to pass. I hope no one forgets what he’s done here.

Furious lawmakers voiced serious concerns on Capitol Hill late Thursday that a Republican House member could “go rogue” and possibly scuttle a vote on the $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package, and potentially endanger other House members in the process, Fox News has learned.

Fox News is told there is deep worry on both sides of the aisle that Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., could try to sidetrack House plans to quickly approve the coronavirus bill via a “voice vote” -- a verbal exercise in which those in favor shout yea, and those opposed holler nay. The loudest side would prevail.

“It’s the Thomas Massie show,” said one senior Republican source who asked to not be identified.

“He is going to do it,” a senior Republican leadership source told Fox News, explaining that leadership had tried every type of arm twisting -- and it's not working. The source said he was actively calling members and telling them to get on planes in the morning to come back to Washington, so that a quorum of 216 members could be established if Massie or another member were to demand one.

The source explained that Massie got a very forceful call from a close confidant and member of the House Freedom Caucus urging him to allow the voice vote, but Massie won’t budge. “We have been riding [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi for stalling things, and now this,” the source lamented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brendan Buck @BrendanBuck · 18m

It is quite the statement of his character that Thomas Massie is legitimately threatening the health of his colleagues, many in their 60s or 70s even 80s, for a stunt on a bill he knows is going to pass. I hope no one forgets what he’s done here.
Has it actually done it, because AOC has made a similar threat.  I hope neither is that stupid. 

The tweet you referenced says health and your subject line says lives.   Going for the additional drama here?    Perhaps you should add AOC to the subject if you're really concerned about the threat here and not going for the gotcha.

The tweet you referenced says health and your subject line says lives.   Going for the additional drama here?    Perhaps you should add AOC to the subject if you're really concerned about the threat here and not going for the gotcha.
Fox News doesn't mention her either. Are they going for the "gotcha"?

Ahead of coronavirus stimulus vote, House lawmakers concerned Rep. Massie may trigger delay

Asked whether the House leadership was concerned about others besides Massie, another source replied, “There are others who are egging him on.”

It is also misinformation. Reading the OP it sounds like he has already done it.  
The threat is what has endangered their lives - because they had to get on planes and head back to DC as a direct result of his threat.

It will be even worse if he does not follow through now...

Rep. Pete King @RepPeteKing · 2h

Heading to Washington to vote on pandemic legislation. Because of one Member of Congress refusing to allow emergency action entire Congress must be called back to vote in House. Risk of infection and risk of legislation being delayed. Disgraceful. Irresponsible.

ETA - No mention of AOC

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump · 8m

Looks like a third rate Grandstander named @RepThomasMassie, a Congressman from, unfortunately, a truly GREAT State, Kentucky, wants to vote against the new Save Our Workers Bill in Congress. He just wants the publicity. He can’t stop it, only delay, which is both dangerous......

...& costly. Workers & small businesses need money now in order to survive. Virus wasn’t their fault. It is “HELL” dealing with the Dems, had to give up some stupid things in order to get the “big picture” done. 90% GREAT! WIN BACK HOUSE, but throw Massie out of Republican Party!

Again - no mention of AOC

The threat is what has endangered their lives - because they had to get on planes and head back to DC as a direct result of his threat.

It will be even worse if he does not follow through now...
For whatever reason, they took his threat more seriously than AOC who basically said the same thing.  I hope he does not follow through and I hope not too many people traveled back.  

For whatever reason, they took his threat more seriously than AOC who basically said the same thing.  I hope he does not follow through and I hope not too many people traveled back.  
Is it possible that they took his threat more seriously because AOC was talked out of it? That would be my guess. 

A little different. AOC says she was open to calling for the in person vote, but she hadn't seen the full bill yet.  Massie was calling other house members telling them to get on a plane. 

A little different. AOC says she was open to calling for the in person vote, but she hadn't seen the full bill yet.  Massie was calling other house members telling them to get on a plane. 
And given the statements by leadership, several other congressmen and POTUS...his threat was obviously a bit bigger and different than what AOC said.  Seriously...FoxNews and POTUS is calling the guy out and aren't bringing up a whatabout AOC...that should tell us all we need to know about which was a real threat and which was nothing.

Sinn Fein said:
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump · 8m

Looks like a third rate Grandstander named @RepThomasMassie, a Congressman from, unfortunately, a truly GREAT State, Kentucky, wants to vote against the new Save Our Workers Bill in Congress. He just wants the publicity. He can’t stop it, only delay, which is both dangerous......

...& costly. Workers & small businesses need money now in order to survive. Virus wasn’t their fault. It is “HELL” dealing with the Dems, had to give up some stupid things in order to get the “big picture” done. 90% GREAT! WIN BACK HOUSE, but throw Massie out of Republican Party!
Someone should ask Trump which states aren't "truly GREAT states".

Also, the irony of Trump accusing anyone else of "just wanting the publicity" is so rich it's suffocating.

Then he just can't resist attacking the other side.  Such a bridge-builder.

Can we all agree that while on the same path (AOC and this dope from KY) he's significantly further down the path TODAY?  To my knowledge as far as AOC was willing to go was "being open to it if necessary" (paraphrasing) and that's significantly different than demanding it outright like this clown.  If there is a comment from her where she's actively demanding it of her colleagues, she should be mentioned along with this guy.  Otherwise, it's tenuous link at best, dishonest distortion as worst.

Can we all agree that while on the same path (AOC and this dope from KY) he's significantly further down the path TODAY?  To my knowledge as far as AOC was willing to go was "being open to it if necessary" (paraphrasing) and that's significantly different than demanding it outright like this clown.  If there is a comment from her where she's actively demanding it of her colleagues, she should be mentioned along with this guy.  Otherwise, it's tenuous link at best, dishonest distortion as worst.
Making that claim and then trashing the bill on the house floor right now certainly doesnt put the thought to rest. 

sho nuff said:
And given the statements by leadership, several other congressmen and POTUS...his threat was obviously a bit bigger and different than what AOC said.  Seriously...FoxNews and POTUS is calling the guy out and aren't bringing up a whatabout AOC...that should tell us all we need to know about which was a real threat and which was nothing.
Wrong.  It's not obvious.  Your conclusion does not tell us which was nothing and which was real.

Why do you guys go there.  The reporting on this is sketchy at best.  Some tweet with no facts and the stories which are out there are inconclusive at best.  Now if Massie was actually calling people and informing them to come back, that would be a huge fact which separates the two.  But that is something that wasn't revealed in the OP or earlier stories.

Wrong.  It's not obvious.  Your conclusion does not tell us which was nothing and which was real.
You referred to the OP as a "gotcha" post when clearly it wasn't. This thread mirrors what Trump and his state TV are saying. If the AOC threat had any merit, Fox News would be blaring it at the top of their page. At the very least they would have included her in their article blasting Massie.

Baseless accusation against the OP. You should retract.

You referred to the OP as a "gotcha" post when clearly it wasn't. This thread mirrors what Trump and his state TV are saying. If the AOC threat had any merit, Fox News would be blaring it at the top of their page. At the very least they would have included her in their article blasting Massie.

Baseless accusation against the OP. You should retract.
It wasn't baseless.  There's nothing to retract.  AOC's threat is already linked in the thread.  I don't care about Fox news.  

It wasn't baseless.  There's nothing to retract.  AOC's threat is already linked in the thread.  I don't care about Fox news.  
Well I guess Trump and Fox are missing a prime opportunity to denigrate AOC. Guess they're also going for that "gotcha" moment. But by all means, blame the OP.

Why do you guys go there.  The reporting on this is sketchy at best.  Some tweet with no facts and the stories which are out there are inconclusive at best.  Now if Massie was actually calling people and informing them to come back, that would be a huge fact which separates the two.  But that is something that wasn't revealed in the OP or earlier stories.
Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan has already started driving back to Washington in anticipation of this. This isn't sketchy or the same as AOC. 

No, it isn't. They are already scrambling to get back. Per Fox News:

This has led to a mad scramble among some frustrated House members to return to D.C. in time to vote on Friday. The recorded vote might be put off until Saturday if the House cannot reach a quorum and one is demanded.

Right...they were revealed after the OP and prior to your posts about it.  I struggle with people going the "do as I say and not as I do" route.  By the time I made my post it had been established what was going on with Massie.  It had also been made known by the time you posted as well.  You may not have known it, but it's out there to be read.  Just like I'm good lumping AOC in there if she's doing the same thing.  "But I didn't know" has no real bearing on my statement at all....there's a qualification for it in the "tenuous" comment.

ETA:  This is all based on the assumption that his fellow GOP colleagues aren't lying to us and aren't driving/flying back in anticipation of him actually making a stink of this.  I acknowledge 100% that they could be lying about this.  I just find it highly unlikely.

Well I guess Trump and Fox are missing a prime opportunity to denigrate AOC. Guess they're also going for that "gotcha" moment. But by all means, blame the OP.
So you're saying this is yet another example of AOC screaming out some baseless threat but no one takes it seriously because no one takes her seriously?   Or are you claiming she never made the threat?

So you're saying this is yet another example of AOC screaming out some baseless threat but no one takes it seriously because no one takes her seriously?   Or are you claiming she never made the threat?
First, I don't really follow what AOC says or does. But it seems her statements were far less serious than Massie's. I see absolutely no one (other than you) tying her to today's delay. Only Massie. And that's from sources who would never miss an opportunity to criticize her.

First, I don't really follow what AOC says or does. But it seems her statements were far less serious than Massie's. I see absolutely no one (other than you) tying her to today's delay. Only Massie. And that's from sources who would never miss an opportunity to criticize her.
I didn't tie her to today.  I said she made the same threat.  Yes, Massie seems to be following through on the threat (not defending him by the way) but AOC made the threat.  So back to the OP then you would agree Massie is endangering lives while AOC is only threatening to endanger lives?   You can roll with that distinction if you want.

I didn't tie her to today.  I said she made the same threat.  Yes, Massie seems to be following through on the threat (not defending him by the way) but AOC made the threat.  So back to the OP then you would agree Massie is endangering lives while AOC is only threatening to endanger lives?   You can roll with that distinction if you want.
Let me know when AOC follows through. Today it is a GOP Rep holding things up. No one else.

Have a great, symptom-free day.

Right...they were revealed after the OP and prior to your posts about it.  I struggle with people going the "do as I say and not as I do" route.  By the time I made my post it had been established what was going on with Massie.  It had also been made known by the time you posted as well.  You may not have known it, but it's out there to be read.  Just like I'm good lumping AOC in there if she's doing the same thing.  "But I didn't know" has no real bearing on my statement at all....there's a qualification for it in the "tenuous" comment.

ETA:  This is all based on the assumption that his fellow GOP colleagues aren't lying to us and aren't driving/flying back in anticipation of him actually making a stink of this.  I acknowledge 100% that they could be lying about this.  I just find it highly unlikely.
I appreciate that, but others in this thread do not seem to care how this story was rolled out.  I did several google searches before I posted and none of that was being reported earlier.

Ocasio-Cortez said she hadn't seen the final bill text yet, "but I'm open" to asking for a recorded vote "if necessary."

Asked if she had concerns about forcing lawmakers to return, which would be an unpopular move, she said, "Of course."

But she added: "With the health risks of travel, there is no easy choice here. But essential workers are showing up and putting their health at risk every day, and if the final text of a bill is set up to hurt them, it may be something we have to do."
I'm having a hard time seeing how her comments could be taken as a "threat"

I appreciate that, but others in this thread do not seem to care how this story was rolled out.  I did several google searches before I posted and none of that was being reported earlier.
The Fox news story is 17 hours old, and there where other sources that are older than this thread. 

Maybe I'm missing this somewhere in the thread, but why is he doing this?  Is it really just attention seeking or is there something specific in it he's trying to prevent?

Maybe I'm missing this somewhere in the thread, but why is he doing this?  Is it really just attention seeking or is there something specific in it he's trying to prevent?
I have no idea why - but there is nothing he is going to prevent with this stunt.  The bill will pass.

AOC needs to held accountable for even making the threat.

He can clarify but it seems to me that he's struggling to classify "being open to everyone coming back if necessary" as a "threat".  Haven't read to the bottom...just catching up.

Users who are viewing this thread