What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former staffer accuses Joe Biden of sexual assault (1 Viewer)

Wow.  All of that is completely inappropriate.  You know damn well if it was any 9ther conservative all of you would be up in arms demanding their head.
Of course it’s inappropriate. It’s also, unfortunately, typical of a certain percentage of Biden’s generation- as watching Mad Men should demonstrate. My point is it’s a far cry from what this this one woman is accusing him of. 

Evaluating Tara Reade’s Claims

Is there any good reason to ignore Joe Biden’s accuser? Not from what we know so far.

This is a long writeup.  But it's well-documented and includes some previously unknown details.  It's actually infuriating what a hatchet job that Salon article was. 

Only Tara Reade and Joe Biden know what happened that day.  But there is no good explanation for why mainstream press (at the time of publication, New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, and MSNBC) continue to ignore this.  

Also, her "corroborating witnesses" haven't corroborated anything as of now 
At least there is a time, a place and an immediate report.  What scant details Ford provided, her story changed too...she had to change the year to even make it feasible.  It is funny how the rules change depending on who is being accused.  

Last edited by a moderator:
At least there is a time, a place and an immediate report.  What scant details Ford provided, her story changed too...she had to change the year to even make it feasible.  It is funny how the rules change depending on who is being accused.  
Hypocrisy is strong in here.  Ford’s story was set in High School?  In this story Biden is an already established political figure?

Of course it’s inappropriate. It’s also, unfortunately, typical of a certain percentage of Biden’s generation- as watching Mad Men should demonstrate. My point is it’s a far cry from what this this one woman is accusing him of. 
Did Joe swim naked in front of female secret service agents?  Someone posted that here.

Hasn't Trump been accused by like 20 women of the same?  Didn't he basically admit it on tape?  Isn't he know to walk around beauty pageants backstage while the girls are changing?

Do conservatives really want to make this an issue?

OK. Thanks. 

Well, Winston Churchill and Ben Franklin used to do the same thing. Whatever. 

None of these claims really bother me except for the main charge, which if true makes Biden a rapist. So let’s hope it’s not true. As I wrote, if it is it would completely change my opinion of Joe Biden. But I’d still support him for President. 

Hasn't Trump been accused by like 20 women of the same?  Didn't he basically admit it on tape?  Isn't he know to walk around beauty pageants backstage while the girls are changing?

I’m not voting for Trump.  I’m not voting for an alleged rapist at all.  So it’s not just ‘conservatives’ making an issue out of it.  

OK. Thanks. 

None of these claims really bother me except for the main charge, which if true makes Biden a rapist. So let’s hope it’s not true. As I wrote, if it is it would completely change my opinion of Joe Biden. But I’d still support him for President. 
As was said before.  Biden aint the best, but he is the best we got.  There is no doubt Joe has had way more than his share of creepy moments but he is the guy. 

I highly doubt in the coming debate either one will mention anything about these past situations. That would take up the whole debate.

Sure...as always...there is hypocrisy all around.

I think this all looks awful for Joe...Id be fine with a real investigation (not something run by the current DOJ or anything like that).  Id be fine if he even had stepped down.

But none of that is looking like it will happen.  In the end, it is going to be Biden vs Trump.  Neither has a leg to stand on claiming anything about the other when it comes to women.

OK. Thanks. 

Well I appreciate your honesty Tim.  The tendency of some to dismiss Reade because it’s inconvenient to their political preferences is gross, but unsurprising.  

Sure...as always...there is hypocrisy all around.

I think this all looks awful for Joe...Id be fine with a real investigation (not something run by the current DOJ or anything like that).  Id be fine if he even had stepped down.

But none of that is looking like it will happen.  In the end, it is going to be Biden vs Trump.  Neither has a leg to stand on claiming anything about the other when it comes to women.
Oh I disagree.  Biden has way more of a leg to stand on.  We have Trump's own words for goodness sakes.

Regardless, this will be a non-issue come election time since both have been stained with it.  Just Trump's stain is significantly more bigly. 

Lots of people- not just Trump voters- care about sexual assault.  When it’s brought to Biden’s attention and he’s left with no other choice but to respond, they’re not going to accept ‘but trump.’

For a campaign whose entire premise is founded on restoring decency to the White House, it will be disastrous.  

Oh I disagree.  Biden has way more of a leg to stand on.  We have Trump's own words for goodness sakes.

Regardless, this will be a non-issue come election time since both have been stained with it.  Just Trump's stain is significantly more bigly. 
Id bet out of the two...Trump is more likely to bring up the accusations than Biden though.

Yep they touch on it right there, she changed her story.

They try to make seriously long-winded excuses for it.
JHC.  Ford changed her story too!  She couldn't remember details and no one could corroborate her story on top of that.  Not to mention the TWO other accusers of Kavanaugh everyone rallied behind who believed them with NO QUESTIONS ASKED (which later turned out to be patently false).

I simply cannot believe you guys are acting like this.  This is un-freaking-believable.  Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Sexual Assault = Sexual Assault.

Sugar-coating it by saying "BUT TRUMP!" doesn't make it any less egregious, damning and hypocritical.

Sexual Assault = Sexual Assault.

Sugar-coating it by saying "BUT TRUMP!" doesn't make it any less egregious, damning and hypocritical.
Disagree.  1 accusation vs 20+ would lead any reasonable person to think the odds of 20+ guy actually being guilty are much higher than 1 accusation guy.

But agreed, that if true even one sexual assault should be disqualify er. 

knowledge dropper said:
Hypocrisy is strong in here.  Ford’s story was set in High School?  In this story Biden is an already established political figure?
EXACTLY!  And you know what, Ford story was not told/created to anyone until AFTER Kavanugh was appointed to the second highest court in the land, the stepping stone for the Supreme Court with Roe v.  Wade possibly in the balance....Hmmmmm....

OK. Thanks. 

This logic in voting.....yeesh. "He's only a little less rapey, so I'll support him." Embarrassing.

And to be clear, indeed the large majority of the country share your thought process, which is really an indictment of the American people's morals. We should be lecturing absolutely nobody.

OK. Thanks. 

I truly can’t believe you typed this

what a time to be alive   😂 

Yikes. Not sure how NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, WaPo and the NYT are going to avoid covering this now.

Tara Reade, a former staffer to then-Senator Joe Biden, has reportedly filed a formal criminal complaint against the now-presidential candidate over an alleged sexual assault from the early 90s.

“Late Thursday afternoon, Reade filed a report of the incident with the sexual assault unit of the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department,” Business Insider reported. “Business Insider has obtained a public incident report recording the allegation.”

Reade outlined the alleged sexual assault during a podcast interview last month, which she says began when a supervisor called her into the office and told her to take a gym bag to Biden.

“She said he was down towards the Capitol, and he’ll meet you,” Reade said. “I went down, and I was heading down towards there. He was at first talking to someone.. and then they went away. We were in like the side, like the side area, and he just said, ‘Hey, come here Tara.’”

“I handed him the thing. He greeted me. He remembered my name. And then we were alone,” Reade continued. “It was the strangest thing. There was no like exchange really. He just had me up against the wall. I was wearing like a skirt, a business skirt.”

Reade continued, “It happened all at once…his hands were on me and underneath my clothes. Yeah, and he went down my skirt but then up inside it, and he penetrated me with his fingers, and he was kissing me at the same time, and he was saying something to me. He said several things. I can’t remember everything he said.”

Reade claims that Biden asked her if she wanted to go “somewhere else,” and that she rejected his alleged advances to which she claims he responded by saying, “C’mon man, I heard you liked me.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-woman-who-accused-biden-of-sexual-assault-files-criminal-complaint-with-police/

knowledge dropper said:
In this story Biden is a Democrat. And he deserves the benefit of the doubt. 

The death of Me Too! movement began during the Kavanaugh fiasco.  Then the Democrats completely ignoring two very credible rape allegations againsts Justin Fairfax proved it was a sham.  Now with Biden it is with a doubt a corpse.  

Is this new?  Or just an "official" sexual assault  complaint now?
https://www.businessinsider.com/former-biden-staffer-tara-reade-files-sexual-assault-complaint-2020-4

Yep, it's new, official etc.  Not sure what liability if any this would pose to the Biden campaign, since the statue of limitations has passed, but she did talk to police and record the incident.  

Yikes. Not sure how NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, WaPo and the NYT are going to avoid covering this now.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-woman-who-accused-biden-of-sexual-assault-files-criminal-complaint-with-police/
Ben Shapiro is a reprehensible troll, and his website The Daily Wire is an extreme rightwing/pro-Israel tabloid.  But if this passage is true, it's absolutely bonkers:

In a report at the end of March, The Daily Wire compared the number of times that mainstream publications reported on the allegations made against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford vs the number of times that they reported on the allegation by Reade against Biden in the six days following each allegation being made public.

The Daily Wire reported the following results:

The Washington Post:

Christine Blasey Ford: 100+

Tara Reade: 0

The New York Times:

Christine Blasey Ford: 90+

MSNBC:

CNN:

https://www.businessinsider.com/former-biden-staffer-tara-reade-files-sexual-assault-complaint-2020-4

Yep, it's new, official etc.  Not sure what liability if any this would pose to the Biden campaign, since the statue of limitations has passed, but she did talk to police and record the incident.  

Ben Shapiro is a reprehensible troll, and his website The Daily Wire is an extreme rightwing/pro-Israel tabloid.  But if this passage is true, it's absolutely bonkers:

In a report at the end of March, The Daily Wire compared the number of times that mainstream publications reported on the allegations made against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford vs the number of times that they reported on the allegation by Reade against Biden in the six days following each allegation being made public.

The Daily Wire reported the following results:

The Washington Post:

The New York Times:

Christine Blasey Ford: 90+

MSNBC:

CNN:

Again...the Salon article explained well why this happened.

As well as Ford coming forward more and, you know, testifyting publicly in front of a Senate committee...its almost as if those days of testimony made news cycles?

That is the start of the movement.  I am talking about the decline of the movement which started when it became too politicized and now is completely dead. 
Completely dead? So you believe women in the workplace are going to be mistreated again just like before? 

Completely dead? So you believe women in the workplace are going to be mistreated again just like before? 
Yes...it seems the only thing the media is looking at is destroying her character with the Russian stuff.  Completely uninterested in airing her story.  We are back to pre-2017 age mentality.  

the Russian stuff
This is some of the Russian stuff.

President Putin’s genius is his judo ability to conserve his own energy and let the opponents flail, using up their energy, while he gains position. Currently, President Putin has a higher approval rating in America then the American President, particularly with women. President Putin has an alluring combination of strength with gentleness. His sensuous image projects his love for life, the embodiment of grace while facing adversity. It is evident that he loves his country, his people and his job. Although his job may seem like in the words of writer, Elizabeth Gilbert on genius, “ trying to swallow the sun.” This is a whole lot to deal with for one mere mortal… President Putin’s obvious reverence for women, children and animals, and his ability with sports is intoxicating to American women.
Tara Reade wrote that. - There's more of it.

- I don't have a problem with someone who desires good relations with Russia. Hell I'd love to discuss it for pages. - But it's a little weird to have this kind of sexualized adoration of Putin, a man with a misogynistic reputation and who legalized domestic violence. I find it hard to believe anyone who is serious about sexual assault would even have a positive impression of him, much less this kind of truly weird dreaminess.

Reade was interviewed by Time and Newsweek, and Salon sought her interview but she refused to talk to them.
To be fair, everyone should refuse to be interviewed by Salon.  they are one of the most far-left, untrustworthy rags out there.  They are nothing more than propaganda for the left.

To be fair, everyone should refuse to be interviewed by Salon.  they are one of the most far-left, untrustworthy rags out there.
This is demonstrably false

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/salon/?amp

Overall, we rate Salon Left Biased based on story selection that strongly favors the left and endorsements of political positions that are affiliated with the Democratic Party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and adherence to the consensus of science.

To be fair, everyone should refuse to be interviewed by Salon.  they are one of the most far-left, untrustworthy rags out there.  They are nothing more than propaganda for the left.
Ah, ok. Has any right wing / “covervative” news Org interviewed her? Maybe Wash Beacon, WashEx, Breitbart?

- eta - It doesn't help if you say Salon, TPM, TDB, NYT, Wapo, WSJ, MSM etc., are just going to be hostile so don't talk them and then go into a maze where you wonder gosh why won't these MSM sites interview and publish my account... when no witnesses will speak to those publications to corroborate her. I get the point, maybe it's even a fair one (Halper is Sanders, Marcotte is DNC, back and forth it goes) but if you're a reporter how are you supposed to do this if you cannot talk to witnesses?

As did her corroborating witnesses i believe.
Actually according to Salon they claim they interviewed acquaintances who said they didn’t believe her, but it wasn’t fleshed out. They didn’t say anything specific about the mother or brother that Grim/Intercept interviewed one way or the other. 

Reade was interviewed by Time and Newsweek, and Salon sought her interview but she refused to talk to them.
Robinson covered this in his great piece that explains how insidious most of Marcotte's "red flags" were.  

"Feminist writer Katha Pollitt also said it was “not a good sign” that the brother and friend “aren’t responding to reporters’ queries.” But the truth is they didn’t respond to Marcotte’s queries. They have spoken to multiple other reporters. Back before the story came out, I actually warned Tara myself during our conversation that it didn’t sound from Marcotte’s inquiries that she was interested in being fair and recommended being cautious about her. I think that concern was vindicated. Marcotte used the fact that she couldn’t get a comment from Tara’s brother and friend as one of the “red flags” that justified the media’s silence on Tara’s accusation. She did not present readers with the alternate possibility: that they didn’t want to speak to a writer who seemed as if she was preparing to publicly smear Tara. I think this shows how accusers simply can’t win when it comes to dealing with the press: if they talk to all reporters, some will inevitably twist their words and take them out of context, while if they are more guarded and selective, their caution will be seen as a sign that they are suspicious and have something to hide.

It’s very reasonable to fear that talking to the wrong reporter will produce a damaging misunderstanding. One criticism that has been made of Tara stems from an interview she gave last year in the Union newspaper. In that interview, the reporter characterized (but did not directly quote) Tara as saying that the acts Biden performed on her did not make her feel “sexualized” but instead merely objectified. But Tara, in her interview with Katie Halper, says and the reporter seemed to be pressuring her to say the acts in question—inappropriate touching—weren’t sexual. Tara says that the (male) reporter’s questions made her reluctant to open up further, which is why she didn’t go into more detail about the alleged assault in addition to the unwanted neck and shoulder rubbing. The Union report is now used to suggest Tara is lying. This is why you need to be careful about the press, and it’s unfortunate that Marcotte implies wariness is somehow suspicious. Let me clarify for the record, though, that this wariness was not natural to Tara or her witnesses; she has been reaching out to everyone she can, and is eager to talk. If I am responsible for her witnesses not talking to a reporter and thereby bringing doubt on Tara’s story, I feel terrible about it. But I do think it’s hard for Tara to win, in part because supposed feminist allies like Marcotte will jump on victims for the slightest transgression when it comes to telling their stories correctly, if the stories involve men whose political fortunes Marcotte is invested in."

It’s very reasonable to fear that talking to the wrong reporter will produce a damaging misunderstanding. One criticism that has been made of Tara stems from an interview she gave last year in the Union newspaper. In that interview, the reporter characterized (but did not directly quote) Tara as saying that the acts Biden performed on her did not make her feel “sexualized” but instead merely objectified. But Tara, in her interview with Katie Halper, says and the reporter seemed to be pressuring her to say the acts in question—inappropriate touching—weren’t sexual. Tara says that the (male) reporter’s questions made her reluctant to open up further, which is why she didn’t go into more detail about the alleged assault in addition to the unwanted neck and shoulder rubbing. The Union report is now used to suggest Tara is lying. This is why you need to be careful about the press, and it’s unfortunate that Marcotte implies wariness is somehow suspicious.
Thanks, for the article, good piece, but I do have a few comments.

On this - note, there was a second article in the NC Union.

- It was written by Reade herself. No one was limiting what Reade said in that article. In its she describes - again the (yes gross) inappropriate touching and invasion of personal space. Which is consistent with what other women have said and what she herself told yet a second publication for a third time.

Users who are viewing this thread