What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former staffer accuses Joe Biden of sexual assault (1 Viewer)

I've kept up with this thread a bit.  I read the Salon piece.  I did not read/watch the original Reade interview.  I really don't have an opinion on her credibility.  Ultimately, I live in a "safe state", so my POTUS vote is unimportant.  Important or not, I honestly can't think of anything that would cause me to vote for Trump, no matter the opponent.

All that said, the one thing I don't understand here is the endless fascination with Alyssa Milano's opinion on the topic.
The reason people are talking about Milano is that she was one of the most visible activists of the #metoo movement, women coming forward about abuse.  She goes a step further than people displaying a double standard on Blasey Ford/Reade; she just pretends these allegations don’t exist, because they’re leveled at the Democratic frontrunner for President of the United States who she’s friends with personally.  

But I think the video is more interesting for Cenk’s comments on the story in a broader sense, how revealing it is of the press and this phony antitrump industry displaying an obvious double standard.  He actually goes out of his way to say it’s not just about Milano.  

Interesting Medium article about how intertwined CAA is with the Democrat political machine (including Milano, and her husband).

https://medium.com/@allenkithowell/heres-wiki-proof-that-the-clinton-machine-was-behind-the-flood-of-new-democratic-presidential-dfea4897756

Who else is on the client list of CAA? Glad you asked — Anderson Cooper, Alyssa Milano, Anna Navarro, Bette Midler, Bill Maher, Twitter cofounder Christopher Isaac “Biz” Stone, Bob Schieffer, Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, Martha Raddatz, Katy Tur, Jim Sciutto, Jemele Hill, David Farenthold, Stephanie Ruhle, Elizabeth Vargas, Gayle King, Ian Bremmer, Frank Luntz, Colin Jost, David Kushner, Chris Cuomo, Connie Chung, Lenard McKelvey — known professionally as Charlamagne Tha God (who recently has been smearing Tulsi Gabbard), Howard “Dan” Pfeiffer, former Senior Advisor to President Obama, Donna Brazile, Jimmy Fallon, Joe Biden (previously mentioned), Valerie Jarrett, Mark Cuban, Rob Reiner, Seth MacFarlane, Stephen Colbert, Susan Rice, Van Jones, James Corden, and Whoopi Goldberg.
Some pretty familiar names on there that are cozy with the Dems and go pretty hard against Sanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
KiddLattimer said:
Interesting Medium article about how intertwined CAA is with the Democrat political machine (including Milano, and her husband).

https://medium.com/@allenkithowell/heres-wiki-proof-that-the-clinton-machine-was-behind-the-flood-of-new-democratic-presidential-dfea4897756

Some pretty familiar names on there that are cozy with the Dems and go pretty hard against Sanders.
There is no grand conspiracy. People don't like Bernie Sanders and don't want him to be the democratic nominee for president. 

Rich Conway said:
I've kept up with this thread a bit.  I read the Salon piece.  I did not read/watch the original Reade interview.  I really don't have an opinion on her credibility.  Ultimately, I live in a "safe state", so my POTUS vote is unimportant.  Important or not, I honestly can't think of anything that would cause me to vote for Trump, no matter the opponent.

All that said, the one thing I don't understand here is the endless fascination with Alyssa Milano's opinion on the topic.
A leading social media influencer, influencer of public thought, and former figurehead of the #metoo movement suddenly reverses course when it becomes politically convenient. Not a surprise people would like an explanation or to expose her.

There is no grand conspiracy. People don't like Bernie Sanders and don't want him to be the democratic nominee for president. 
I'm not saying it's a "grand conspiracy" I'm saying there appears to be an organization working together for their own interests. Same if a Union or any other group did something together for their own benefit.

Good luck with Biden though.

A leading social media influencer, influencer of public thought, and former figurehead of the #metoo movement suddenly reverses course when it becomes politically convenient. Not a surprise people would like an explanation or to expose her.
#meToo and #believeAllWomen were nothing more than movements to grab power.  It had nothing to do with justice or fairness or believing all women.

sho nuff said:
Except it isn't IMO...Trump is the relevant comp.
No. Biden isnt running against trump.

He is currently against bernie sanders. You want the cover of trump, but you dont have it yet. 

I get why nobody wants to admit that. It is hypocritical to not be advocating for Biden to go away and have Sanders be the nominee if you felt Kavanaugh should not have been confirmed. 

No. Biden isnt running against trump.

He is currently against bernie sanders. You want the cover of trump, but you dont have it yet. 

I get why nobody wants to admit that. It is hypocritical to not be advocating for Biden to go away and have Sanders be the nominee if you felt Kavanaugh should not have been confirmed. 
Biden isn’t running against Kavanaugh either.

But why i say its the relevant comp is because of running for the same elected position where biters can decide...vs a lifetime appointment where the voters have no say.

Its not the cover of Trump...its comparing the situations.  

BTW...Im all for Biden stepping aside...but I don't think that meams it’s automatically Bernie.  Because that then is taking away a lot of what voters have decided already.  Had this been previously known or talked about...would those Biden voters have elevated someone else against Bernie?

I've been saying since the 2016 election... if everyone who wanted a strong third party went out and voted third party, we'd have a strong third party. 
Sadly, this is not possible in America. Not the way the our elections are structured with a "only-cast-vote-for-one-candidate" combined with "winner-take-all" set up in congressional elections.  EVERYTHING will eventually devolve into just two parties.  

Minus a complete overhaul of the entire way we elect or representatives, we can't have a sustained third party (i.e., if some awesome party did come along that people loved, it would necessarily "kill" one of the prior two parties and take it's place).

That's not corrupt.  It's just how our system was established.

Widbil83 said:
We have the story, what are you talking about? Your wild hypothetical isn’t needed. It’s a main stream media black ball.
This is so typical of Trump supporters:

Trumper: "Why is the media not reporting this? 

Response:  "This is one reason why the media is not reporting this."

Trumper:  "WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE MEDIA INSTEAD OF THIS ISSUE???"

Rich Conway said:

The list of "safe" states is dwindling.  And I'd argue that the vote for POTUS is important, for both sides.  We are getting to the point where both sides are concerned about the legitimacy of the presidential election.  Knowing the national vote will help.  Apropos of nothing, I guess.  Agree with the rest of your post. 

#meToo and #believeAllWomen were nothing more than movements to grab power.  It had nothing to do with justice or fairness or believing all women.
I'm not sure where to put these thoughts, but screw it, I'll put them here:

I ABSOLUTELY believe that the number of women who are victims of sexual assault is staggering.  Most go unreported. If I had to bet my life on it, I'd guess that my 16 year old daughter will, at some point in time, be a victim of an attempted sexual assault.  I think the numbers go unreported. Why do I think so?  I've had "real" conversations with many of the women in my family.  It's amazing what we, as men, isn't on our radar and we don't have to deal with.  

So.  With that in mind:

From my limited reading, there does certainly appear to be a very real history of women making up claims of sexual assault/abuse in our country.  It's incredibly complicated, and I don't love mentioning it because I'm not as educated about the issue as I'd like, but there are some studies/analysis/discussion hereherehere, and here.

All that is to say:  The idea that "we should take claims of sexual assault seriously" does not mean "any claim should be believed no matter what."  Like the great philosopher once said: It's a complicated case; lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.

People don't really "believe all women" nor should they. It's a platitude. Women lie, just as men do, for a multitude of reasons. It may very well be that in aggregate, truth-telling vastly outnumbers lying in sexual misconduct scenarios. But still in most cases, the proper reaction is to have no opinion as to a particular claim's veracity.
Except that when Maise Hirono said this in regards to Ford every Democratic senator nodded their heads in tacit agreement.  Talking heads on mainstream TV trumpeted this new moral norm over and over.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

All that is to say:  The idea that "we should take claims of sexual assault seriously" does not mean "any claim should be believed no matter what."  Like the great philosopher once said: It's a complicated case; lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.
I recall clearly when Nick Anderson was accused back in 96.  Woman turned around and solicited a multi six figure sum to drop the charges.  Ultimately proven to be a completely fake accusation.

Rare, but it does happen.

Except that when Maise Hirono said this in regards to Ford every Democratic senator nodded their heads in tacit agreement.  Talking heads on mainstream TV trumpeted this new moral norm over and over.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Hirono said this? Really? I don't think her exact words were that we should "believe all women"

Can you please provide a video link showing Hirono saying this with "every Democratic senator nodded their heads in tacit agreement" as you claim? TIA. 

Hirono said this? Really? I don't think her exact words were that we should "believe all women". 
The quote is noted here and here.

Can't find video as they all seem to concentrate on her shut up and step up comment.  Unfortunately that one was not the outrageous comment.

Edit:. Found it.  1:20 in this video. You can ignore the commentary around it.  "Women like Dr. Ford don't just need to be heard, they need to be believed".

Can't find video as they all seem to concentrate on her shut up and step up comment.  Unfortunately that one was not the outrageous comment.

But the USA Today article goes into her comments well enough.
Your first link does not show Hirono saying we should "believe all women" all it says is in respect to Ford, Hirono says "I believe her" 

In the USA Today link, she says that women alleging abuse "need to be believed" referring to members of the Senate who were to vote on confirming a nominee should approach such allegations with a fair and open mind, not that they should automatically be believed and the accusers be given a pass and not be subjected to any scrutiny. 

Your first link does not show Hirono saying we should "believe all women" all it says is in respect to Ford, Hirono says "I believe her" 

In the USA Today link, she says that women alleging abuse "need to be believed" referring to members of the Senate who were to vote on confirming a nominee should approach such allegations with a fair and open mind, not that they should automatically be believed and the accusers be given a pass and not be subjected to any scrutiny. 
I found the quote.  Look above.  It's direct and to the point.

Edit:. Found it.  1:20 in this video. You can ignore the commentary around it.  "Women like Dr. Ford don't just need to be heard, they need to be believed".
Well duh. She said women like ford. You know, the ones making accusations against the gop.

Weird, I can't find any mention of Reade on Mazie Hirono's twitter either.  I guess it just slipped her mind.  
Can you say nothingburger? I don't see any mention of this at all in recent days on Twitter from Democrats or anyone else for that matter. It has become a non-story. 

Can you say nothingburger? I don't see any mention of this at all in recent days on Twitter from Democrats or anyone else for that matter. It has become a non-story. 
Yep- literally nothing at all.

The fact that Democrats and its media sphere aren't talking about it means it's a nonstory, & Joe Biden is in the clear.  The GOP will never use a credible sexual assault allegation that Democrats ignored to drag Joe Biden across the finish line.  We'll definitely never hear any of this footage again.

Yep- literally nothing at all.

The fact that Democrats and its media sphere aren't talking about it means it's a nonstory, & Joe Biden is in the clear.  The GOP will never use a credible sexual assault allegation that Democrats ignored to drag Joe Biden across the finish line.  We'll definitely never hear any of this footage again.
You are right. They can't without coming across as world class hypocrites. 

Trump has said a lot of negative things about Biden recently, but nothing about this unsubstantiated sexual assault claim. There has not been a peep out of him about this incident that you and a few others here are so outraged about. Why is that?

I would bet that Trump will not bring this up about Biden during the fall campaign or the debates. And seriously, how could he when he is on video tape bragging that he grabs women by the #####, not to mention the 17+ plus claims against him for sexual assault and or harassment? 

Shining a light on Biden will only shine a bigger light on Trump's history with women, reminding people of what they have pretty much forgotten and moved on from. Trump and the GOP do not want to go there again, they got enough on their plate with Trump's inept response to the coronavirus. 

Trump has said a lot of negative things about Biden recently, but nothing about this unsubstantiated sexual assault claim. There has not been a peep out of him about this incident that you and a few others here are so outraged about. Why is that?

I would bet that Trump will not bring this up about Biden during the fall campaign or the debates. And seriously, how could he when he is on video tape bragging that he grabs women by the #####, not to mention the 17+ plus claims against him for sexual assault and or harassment? 

Shining a light on Biden will only shine a bigger light on Trump's history with women, reminding people of what they have pretty much forgotten and moved on from. Trump and the GOP do not want to go there again, they got enough on their plate with Trump's inept response to the coronavirus.
You're wrong about this.  Trump probably won't go after Biden on this, but lots of GOP media will, and it's possible that some Sanders supporters will.  The GOP media can do it because Trump's supporters really don't care what he did or to whom, and it won't affect the support he gets from his base.  If this story turns out to be credible (and I'm not saying it is), it will affect Biden's support from the liberal base and it could give them a reason to stay home.

You're wrong about this.  Trump probably won't go after Biden on this, but lots of GOP media will, and it's possible that some Sanders supporters will.  The GOP media can do it because Trump's supporters really don't care what he did or to whom, and it won't affect the support he gets from his base.  If this story turns out to be credible (and I'm not saying it is), it will affect Biden's support from the liberal base and it could give them a reason to stay home.
Not a chance if the alternative is another 4 years of Trump. It isn't getting traction now outside of the Never Biden crowd and some Sanders supporters, who would never vote for Biden anyway, irrespective of this one lone accusation. 

Why hasn't the GOP talked about it yet?  Probably because they want to wait until Joe Biden scrapes through the primary first.  

You realize of course that it doesn't have to be a GOP-affiliated outfit that does this- any random billionaire can pay for ads to run in midwestern markets to suburban white women that the party has grown so fond of.  It could be called "Believe Women PAC".  The Democratic Party will find itself defending their candidate against credible sexual assault allegations, along with a litany of other problems that Joe Biden has.  

If you think this won't present any problems for Biden and everything is going to be hunky dory, you're wrong.  And if you think Trump's shame mechanism will magically kick in since it implicates him too, you're doublewrong.  This is the Nixon brand on steroids.  I guess you forgot the time Trump brought Bill Clinton's accusers to a presidential debate.  

Wait, your example of how Democrats are taking this seriously is one lone Twitter account with the handle of JusticeForTara, who in her bio shows her lack of bias and complete objectivity by noting: "I follow back Berners!"   :lol:

In addition this Twitter account (which has a grand total of 693 followers) and has used the hashtags #NeverBiden and #TimesUpBiden. 

Not a chance if the alternative is another 4 years of Trump. It isn't getting traction now outside of the Never Biden crowd and some Sanders supporters, who would never vote for Biden anyway, irrespective of this one lone accusation. 
To hell with sexual assault as long as Trump is gone.  Noted

Ramblin Wreck said:
squistion said:
To hell with sexual assault as long as Trump is gone.  Noted
That's not at all what squistion said, or even related to what we were discussing in this particular chain of posts.  The question was whether the GOP would/will push this issue during the general election or ignore it for fear of bringing up Trump's own questionable behavior in this area.

That's not at all what squistion said, or even related to what we were discussing in this particular chain of posts.  The question was whether the GOP would/will push this issue during the general election or ignore it for fear of bringing up Trump's own questionable behavior in this area.
He was simply pointing out the hypocrisy. It's painfully obvious.

Thread summary of Biden supporters responses:

-Not enough evidence to run a story on NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, NYT, WP.

-Trump 
To your two points, A)

Warren accuses Bernie of saying a woman can't win the presidency: constant media coverage. Legitimate sexual assault accusations against Joe: media crickets.
B) Democrats won't be able to use this issue against Trump leading up to November this time.

It’s not a hypothetical, that’s my point. Salon specifically tried to confirm the story but it could not. Just as reporters who tried to confirm the Stormy Daniels story could not because she was in an NDA.

The Stormy Daniels story even proved to be true. But that is not what it’s about. If you want MSM sources reporting the Halper interview, Ren is correct there are multiple instances of that.
The FBI could not even confirm any details of Ford's story.  

The FBI could not even confirm any details of Ford's story.  
Eh it was a background check, not an investigation, which is fine. But it meant lots of people went uncontacted. - Again I don’t want to revisit the details of that issue, I’m just pointing out the difference between reporting claims (the Halper interview) Vs the claim itself. - IIRC there was a report that Wapo had originally refused to run the Ford story, however it’s pretty impossible to have refused to run a report on the letter and the ensuing Congressional turmoil.

Krystal Ball @krystalball

Incredible. @Alyssa_Milano says she assumes that mainstream media would cover #TaraReade if her claims were credible and that we have to find “balance” in #Metoo and #believewomen. Don’t remember those caveats before 🤔

Alyssa Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Replying to @krystalball

Bernie supporter, right? 
So let me ask a question here.  Are you upset about her (and others) perceived actions taken in the past (i.e. automatically believe without confirmation of credibility) or her (and others) perceived actions now (i.e. investigate claims for credibility before believing)?  As a general rule, which course of action do you believe is appropriate?

If the former, then I humbly submit that you're wrong.

If the latter, then I humbly submit that the answer here is to publicly agree that Ms. Milano and others were wrong then and congratulate them for realizing they were wrong and approaching future situations with the appropriate response.

So let me ask a question here.  Are you upset about her (and others) perceived actions taken in the past (i.e. automatically believe without confirmation of credibility) or her (and others) perceived actions now (i.e. investigate claims for credibility before believing)?  As a general rule, which course of action do you believe is appropriate?

If the former, then I humbly submit that you're wrong.

If the latter, then I humbly submit that the answer here is to publicly agree that Ms. Milano and others were wrong then and congratulate them for realizing they were wrong and approaching future situations with the appropriate response.
unfortunately, because they were hypocritical to begin with no one will believe them now or in the future.

When it was politically convenient to believe anyone despite evidence it was certainly okay. And if you don't think that if a liberal woman came up with some allegations against a conservative that she wouldn't go back to believing despite evidence, then I humbly submit you are incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread