What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obscure Songs Challenge Thread: Rules have been lightly relaxed (1 Viewer)

IMAX 3D

Footballguy
The Song title says "Challenge" and not "Draft" because it's supposed to be a challenge

Rules:

-Song must have less than 100,000 views on YouTube (this means you can't post a less viewed version of a more popular song). When I say views, I mean for that particular video with the parenthetical stipulation.

-No live versions of songs

-No covers 

-No "at home" youtube wannabe artist. i.e. someone with a guitar a video cam and a mic. This should be geared toward professional looking music videos from popular or virtually unknown bands in between. (Plus, there's already a thread for this). An album cover "video" is fine but will be graded on a curve against actually produced vids. Also don't post some obscure ### Elton John song just because it's only an album cover. 

-Please comment on other selections that people post after listening so we can have fun and interact.

-At the end, I might rank everything here not posted by me, I promise to listen to all of it.

-Feel free to make some comments on the song, it's significance to you, how you found it, without being too loquacious so we can keep things moving.

-Post as many as you want but put them in a separate response. 

-Try to avoid multiple from the same artist. If they're an obscure artist, we get it.

-Any genre, era or time frame. 

My selection for today:

Holy Ghost! - Wait & See

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Ghost! - Wait & See

I know nothing about this band, but it was played on Entourage once (a small part of it). I recently subbed to a Entourage Songs Spotify playlist that had almost everything that was ever played on the show, it was like 2000 songs and just randomly came across this. 

If doing this as a draft is better, let me know. (REserving this space just in case)

I'm just worried if we do it draft style, no one will really listen to other selections - which is the point of the exercise. 

If 25,000 views is a little too restrictive let me know. I just found a music video from a dude I went to high school with that was never really popular with over 100,000

Some more inspiration to get this going.

It's a Bluegrass Family Band, but well produced and great instrumentals and vocals:

Williamson Branch - Free

don't even remember how I found this but she's got an Allison Krauss vibe to her. Not a particularly mindblowing song, but fun, happy and wholesome with great harmonies and instrumentals. 

(Trigger warning: this is the type of act to make it to the finals of America's Got Talent)

Mother Mary - The Good Mess

Mother Mary is the first single released by The Good Mess back in 2014.  I doubt any here know of this band.  They are from Philadelphia and largely focus on live music shows playing venues in Philly.  Most of their stuff on YouTube is video of their live performances, but since live videos were prohibited by the OP, I went with this one which was a promo for the first single.  They do have 3 EPs on Spotify if you want to hear more. The band is self described on their website as "Drawing comparisons to Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and Queens of the Stone Age".  I don't know if those comps are warranted, but I think they are pretty good.  In full disclosure, the bass player is married to my niece.

Mother Mary - The Good Mess

Mother Mary is the first single released by The Good Mess back in 2014.  I doubt any here know of this band.  They are from Philadelphia and largely focus on live music shows playing venues in Philly.  Most of their stuff on YouTube is video of their live performances, but since live videos were prohibited by the OP, I went with this one which was a promo for the first single.  They do have 3 EPs on Spotify if you want to hear more. The band is self described on their website as "Drawing comparisons to Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and Queens of the Stone Age".  I don't know if those comps are warranted, but I think they are pretty good.  In full disclosure, the bass player is married to my niece.
That's video enough for me. And was quite good. Lead singer has a great voice. He also has a cool look - I would actually draw them closer in comparison to Sliverchair with the look and rawness (not heavy enough for Nirvana, heavier than STP, and not choppy and quick chorded enough to be Queens of the Stone Age with is a good thing as it makes them unique)

This is really hard, especially the 25k YouTube limit.

I’m going to post an older song here:

The American Dream - I Ain’t Searchin’

The claim to fame for this super obscure band and album was that it was the first album produced by Todd Rundgren.
Like someone posted in the comments

"the greatest song NEVER heard!" this is the essence of the thread.

This is fantastic. I love that chord shifts during the verses. the major to minor chord shifts during a single lyric are absolutely unique. I'd have this ranked pretty high for this thread. The guitar solo at 2:07 is perfect 60's followed by the electric guitar solo with COW BELL

Like someone posted in the comments

"the greatest song NEVER heard!" this is the essence of the thread.

This is fantastic. I love that chord shifts during the verses. the major to minor chord shifts during a single lyric are absolutely unique. I'd have this ranked pretty high for this thread. The guitar solo at 2:07 is perfect 60's followed by the electric guitar solo with COW BELL
Ya Im all in here. Great job. 

Armitage Shanks - Carry On Up Your Khyber

We saw these guys at a tiny club in New Haven, CT, where they played a show as known to the propreitor of the joint called Cafe Nine. Nobody knew who they were, they were a Billy Childish act, and we were there to see them play live. They drank a lot and so did we. It was like four of us and the band. They were a great bunch of guys to drink with. 

I was gonna restrict just album covers as a "video" but I guess that's gonna be rough. I think we keep it open?

(ETA: Just because those are as obscure as "at home" filmed youtube songs)

I mean, you could find a third eye blind or Pearl Jam song with less than 25k views that never had a video. But to be fair, it's Songs not Videos

I was gonna restrict just album covers as a "video" but I guess that's gonna be rough. I think we keep it open?

(ETA: Just because those are as obscure as "at home" filmed youtube songs)
Oops. A profesionally done video with under 25,000 views, eh? 

Challenge: maybe accepted.

If 25,000 views is a little too restrictive let me know. I just found a music video from a dude I went to high school with that was never really popular with over 100,000
I found something I want to post that has a few separate videos that all total less than 100,000 views, but over 25,000. Cool to post?

Ya let's bump it up 100,000 views or less, but I'm going to tighten up the restriction, music videos only @Doug B is that rough? Also post you want, as long as people get the gist of the exercise I think we're cool

Post album covers, #### the music video restriction

Ya let's bump it up 100,000 views or less, but I'm going to tightest up the restriction, music videos only is it a video @Doug B
Little confused by the part in red. It's an old song from the 1960s ... there was no actual video made of the song. Everything on youtube uses still photos and such, no action shots or anything.

Little confused by the part in red. It's an old song from the 1960s ... there was no actual video made of the song. Everything on youtube uses still photos and such, no action shots or anything.
Grip it and rip it, I'm looking forward to it

I love every one of my brain cells that remembers this video.
Their live cover of Wicked Game was so f-n good. The only recording I have seen of it is really poor quality and does not capture it. I miss them, such a good band. 

Users who are viewing this thread