What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comfortably Numb's Top 50 Tool songs #2 Jambi...and #1 H (1 Viewer)

I would find that the worst Tool song to play in-front of my mom, unless you had some sort of radio edit like the quoted music video. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You think?  We didn't tell her the name of the song, and really it's only that one line.  I think without the title it's probably be hard to figure out what the song is talking about if you're only half listening.  I think Swamp Song or Hush would have been a debacle.  

Just circled back through my top 40 again and for the first time since I started making drafts - I did not make any changes. So, this must be it. Now I :popcorn:  for the rest of Comfortably Numb before providing my own.

#5 Pu####

https://youtu.be/GGm72iNBF8E

Rest your trigger on my finger

I'm slipping back into the gap again
I'm alive when you're touching me
Alive when you're shoving me down, hey

I must persuade you another waaaaaaaaaaaaaay

There's no love in fearrrrrrrrrr

Staring down the hole again
Hands are on my back again
Surviving is my only friend
Terrified of what may come

Remember I will always love you
As I claw your ####### throat away
It will end no other way
It will end no other waaaaaaaaaay

This was at #7 and I kept inching it up. Maybe could do 1 more spot but I'm gonna leave her here.

So your young and good looking and out on the town hooking up with hot looking girls (other songs on this album) Pu#### it the semi-attractive friend who is always there for you....years later you realize how special that friend is and you end up getting married...

Sort of...this song was always just...there for me. I liked several others off Aenima a lot more....years would go by and casually listening to this....it just kept reminding me how special it was. Over the years this has climbed way up my list like no other song has. I've come to appreciate the lyrics the music the flow.

At 1 point early on I would mainly listen just for the last few minutes. Now I look forward to hearing the whole song....several times.

Remember I'll always love you...

So your young and good looking and out on the town hooking up with hot looking girls (other songs on this album) Pu#### it the semi-attractive friend who is always there for you....years later you realize how special that friend is and you end up getting married...

Sort of...this song was always just...there for me. I liked several others off Aenima a lot more....years would go by and casually listening to this....it just kept reminding me how special it was. Over the years this has climbed way up my list like no other song has. I've come to appreciate the lyrics the music the flow.

At 1 point early on I would mainly listen just for the last few minutes. Now I look forward to hearing the whole song....several times.
I think you answered the below in the above.

hmm, i would guess most people would have this very high.
I'm not saying where I have this ranked, but it ended up a lot higher than it was in my rough draft - and it was a lot higher in my rough draft than it was before they finally went digital last year.

#4 Aenima

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aenima+youtube&docid=607990708153681470&mid=FBB0D7EDE4B936F1244DFBB0D7EDE4B936F1244D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Some say the end is near

Mom's gonna fix it all soon

Cause I'm praying for rain

I wanna see it come down
Burn it down
Suck it down
Flush it down

This will probably be lower on the list than most and yes, this gets a higher nod. While other songs (Sober/Prison Sex) introduced me to Tool...Aenima….when I heard it on the radio kicked the damn door open. Such good riffs on this, lyrics where fun and intriguing This is probably the only song I am giving a bigger jump when I factor historical context for myself. This song made me want to buy the album which lead to euphoria and lead to Undertow/Opiate and the rest is Pnuema.

Pretty much has to be in the majority of the top fives, no? 

Great album cover too
It's one of two songs that I think will be universally top 5. Since he hasn't mentioned the other one yet I think we're good there too. Of the other two still outstanding - well, I follow him on one of them. It's substantially lower on mine, but I also understand why he has it this high. The other? I'll just say I know I'm the minority.

You think?  We didn't tell her the name of the song, and really it's only that one line.  I think without the title it's probably be hard to figure out what the song is talking about if you're only half listening.  I think Swamp Song or Hush would have been a debacle.  
I would rather have 20 F bombs than one sodomy or c*m around my mom :shrug:  

It's one of two songs that I think will be universally top 5. Since he hasn't mentioned the other one yet I think we're good there too. Of the other two still outstanding - well, I follow him on one of them. It's substantially lower on mine, but I also understand why he has it this high. The other? I'll just say I know I'm the minority.
It is actually out of my top 10 (barely). Probably an unfair ranking since it is hard to separate the quality of the song from it just getting overplayed on the radio. As far as song tiers go, it is definitely part of the tier that goes into my top 10, it could just as easily be 3 or 4 spots higher. 

I would rather have 20 F bombs than one sodomy or c*m around my mom :shrug:  
There is a good chance you are right in hindsight.  It is definitely not something I am going to bring up with her at this point, though.

Learn to swim  :headbang:
My #1.  I felt kind of lame putting in there, honestly, because it seems so predictable, but I just really love the song.  Loved hearing it live - so much energy.  Has yet to get old for me  :thumbup:

Pretty much has to be in the majority of the top fives, no? 

Great album cover too
I like it but not top 5 or maybe even top 10 for me.  I prefer Eulogy, Stinkfist, 46 & 2 and Pu#### so to me it's the 5th best song on that album.  And that's not knocking the song just more of a statement on how fantastic that album truly is. 

Favor - will you please post #1 and #2 at the same time? There won't be any suspense and in the interest of transparency I'm very antsy to post my top 40 (I'm selfish). 

Did not touch my list for a while, and now today I cannot stop messing around with the center of my list. There is basically a hard stop near the middle of my list where no song from below will move above, and no song from above will go below. Within each half things are much more mobile.

I know I keep apologizing but I want to do some decent write ups with these and I know you guys don't really care and just want me to end it so we can all share our lists of which I can't wait to see but just been hammered at work.

Let me try to get #3 out now
Not at all. This has been a great unintentional homage to Tool. The rollout requires patience. And the creator is ensuring the appropriate effort is being put into his work. 

#3 Schism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM62wjLrgmA

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away

The poo....etry!

cold silence has
A tendency to
Atrophy any
Sense of compassion

I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit

So, this song would have normally been maybe 6-9ish last year.

In the last several months this got bumped up not cause the song changed but the connection grew.
A few years ago i mentioned to my wife of wanting to take my son (9 at the time) to a Depeche Mode concert and she was like..not a good idea....etc..

Whatever.... I "won" he went, and was bored but he got popcorn so it was a good  time out with Dad (and his sister..12y/o)
At that time, I jokingly said if Tool ever goes on tour in my lifetime I will take the kids. That was a hard no.

Well...the seas parted....Tool released an album and went on tour. My wife was like...no i don't think that's a good idea. Tool is crazy hanbanging drug music...it's not gonna be a good atmosphere for a kid. My daughter looked at me like i had a 3rd eye when i suggested she come with me..my son who has been learning guitar surprisingly said he would go! 
After some more talking to my wife and i told her it's gonna be a bunch of middle aged white dudes awkwardly trying to nod to this music for 90min she said whatever...
I started to have him listen to some music and this was the 1st song he heard. It stuck.

I would walk by him brushing his teeth and he is singing "i know the pieces fit"...it was so awesome, i was so proud.
Then, we made it to the concert in Newark and i won't go play by play...but early on mesh screens opened up, laser everywhere, awesome artwork, good riffs....and as the lasers descend he looks over and screams "this is so cooooool"

I almost cried

Then for the 1st 5 songs he kepts saying...is this I know the pieces fit??

No..not this one.

Then it came on...i looked over and he said...it's this one??

So...much of music to me is about personal connections. I am not a musician and don't have an artistic bone in my body...but my life and emotional connection to circumstances in life are tied to music so much. Music will bring me joy/pain and happiness with the sound of a single cord.

So...this got brought up a few notches because when I and old (hopefully) in my 80's...maybe laying in a bed somewhere with some disease or aliment and i change the station on the radio (they still exist??) and I hear Schism play...I will smile and wherever my son is in life...i will forever remember him in his pajamas shaking his hips at the mirror on a step stool...."I know the pieces fit"

Yes....the pieces have all fit

#3 Schism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM62wjLrgmA

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away

The poo....etry!

cold silence has
A tendency to
Atrophy any
Sense of compassion

I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit

So, this song would have normally been maybe 6-9ish last year.

In the last several months this got bumped up not cause the song changed but the connection grew.
A few years ago i mentioned to my wife of wanting to take my son (9 at the time) to a Depeche Mode concert and she was like..not a good idea....etc..

Whatever.... I "won" he went, and was bored but he got popcorn so it was a good  time out with Dad (and his sister..12y/o)
At that time, I jokingly said if Tool ever goes on tour in my lifetime I will take the kids. That was a hard no.

Well...the seas parted....Tool released an album and went on tour. My wife was like...no i don't think that's a good idea. Tool is crazy hanbanging drug music...it's not gonna be a good atmosphere for a kid. My daughter looked at me like i had a 3rd eye when i suggested she come with me..my son who has been learning guitar surprisingly said he would go! 
After some more talking to my wife and it told her it's gonna be a bunch of middle aged white dudes awkwardly trying to nod to this music for 90min she said whatever...
I started to have him listen to some music and this was the 1st song he heard. It stuck.

I would walk by him brushing his teeth and he is singing "i know the pieces fit"...it was so awesome, i was so proud.
Then, we made it to the concert in Newark and i won't go play by play...but early on mesh screens opened up, laser everywhere, awesome artwork, good riffs....and as the lasers descend he looks over and screams "this is so cooooool"

I almost cried

Then for the 1st 5 songs he kepts saying...is this I know the pieces fit??

No..not this one.

Then it came on...i looked over and he said...it's this one??

So...much of music to me is about personal connections. I am not a musician and don't have an artistic bone in my body...but my life and emotional connection to circumstances in life are tied to music so much. Music will bring me to joy/pain and happiness in the sound of a single cord.

So...this got brought up a few notches because when I and old (hopefully) in my 80's...maybe laying in a bed somewhere with some disease or aliment and i change the station on the radio (they still exist??) and I hear Schism play...I will smile and wherever my son is in life...i will forever remember him in his pajamas shaking his hips at the mirror on a step stool...."I know the pieces fit"

Yes....the pieces have all fit
Great Post!

Man what is it gonna take to get the top 2 out here?  Am I gonna have to beg like a hooker all night long or what???

😈

Man what is it gonna take to get the top 2 out here?  Am I gonna have to beg like a hooker all night long or what???

😈
Flip a coin and you will have a 50/50 chance at already having the order.

#2 Jambi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_UWFr13pU

Here from the king's mountain view

….

But I, I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

In love with the dark side I'd found

Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn
Begged like a hooker all night long
Tempted the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow..... would take you away
You're my peace of mind, my home, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum
Wants and needs divide me then I might as well be goonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Shine on upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Breathe in union

No other song I can think of has the amazingly hard riff of Jambi to start followed by the subtle innocent sounding voice to say Here from the king's mountain view.
The scream of gonnnnnnnnne followed by riffs culminating in a silence and back to riffs....oh sweat jesus.

This song just is alive and kicking from start to finish. Love the lyrics, love the feel, love the emotion.

#1 H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8vTSyHFkQ

What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror.
But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn my piss to wine.

They're both totally void of hate
But killing me just the same.

The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.

And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
Considerately.

Venomous voice, tempts me
Drains me, bleeds me
Leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity.

The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.

And I feel this coming over like a storm again now.
And I feel this coming over like a storm again now.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me

Considerately killing me.
(here add one more) "Considerately killing me."
Without the skin here
Beneath the storm.
Under these tears now
The walls came down.

And as the snake is drowned
And as I look in his eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.

And as the walls come down
And as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
And will die.
It's all right.
(I don't mind)
I don't mind.
I don't mind.
I don't mind.
I am too connected to you
Slip away, fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
Considerately killing me and

And there we have it.
I fully get that my top 3 will not be top 10? 20? inmost other lists...and that's ok.

H...crept into my soul somehow. Maybe at that time in my life with meeting, dealing and breaking up with my 1st real gf at the time set this one up?
Then it is a song that just always stuck to me. I've heard of some theories on it's meaning. Like I said, not really concerned.
This song can bring me smiles/tears joy/pain hopefulness...and hopelessness...and sometimes...all those feelings in 1 listen!

And as the walls come down
And as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
And will die.
It's all right.
(I don't mind)

Up there as  one of my favorite lyrics all time.

This is a song that has been with me through my trying cult times and eventual departure.
Passing of my dad, sudden passing of my young cousin, marriage issues etc... and all difficult trying times where fear leads my way. A realization that once you can overcome and get that fear to fade...what will come, will come.
At one point in my life that H was Jesus, where he could over come those fears...now it's just me I am the H along with my fears and overcoming them as they present themselves.

#5 Pu####

https://youtu.be/GGm72iNBF8E

Rest your trigger on my finger

I'm slipping back into the gap again
I'm alive when you're touching me
Alive when you're shoving me down, hey

I must persuade you another waaaaaaaaaaaaaay

There's no love in fearrrrrrrrrr

Staring down the hole again
Hands are on my back again
Surviving is my only friend
Terrified of what may come

Remember I will always love you
As I claw your ####### throat away
It will end no other way
It will end no other waaaaaaaaaay

This was at #7 and I kept inching it up. Maybe could do 1 more spot but I'm gonna leave her here.

Remember I'll always love you...
And right here was when i realized it'd be H. Once Prison Sex went off the board #1 was either gonna be Pu#### or this. And yes it isn't going to be popular, but I don't think anyone's gonna disagree with you. Both are beautiful pieces of work. You did well.

The First 4

40 - Descending. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but if I didn't I think this song beautifully fits within the Fear album. It doesn't stand alone though. Something that was common throughout Fear. So since this is a songs ranking list it goes here.

39 - Hush. I can see why teenage MAC loved this song. Aged the worst of the 6 Opiate cuts though.

38 - Flood. I only had room in the top 40 for one of it and 4 degrees. It took a couple listens to break the tie - and this song takes too long to get going, but once it does...and that's why it's here instead.

37 - Fear Inoculum. Like Descending, this was a very easy ranking. It is such a phenomenal intro to the album. But as Comfortably Numb eluded, the payoff isn't til the next song (teaser!). Since it doesn't stand alone it's here.

Honorable Mention: Reflection...and really you could just lump the last three tracks of Lateralus here. It doesn't feel leaving it off, but difficult decisions were required when I decided to cut if off here.

I'm gonna get hell for all of these

36 - Sober. I promise this ranking is not for shock and awe. And this isn't a bad song. You get a feel for Adam Jones' chops. Maynard too. And that opening bass is bone rattling. But the song itself. There's a reason it never got me to want to learn more about the band when I first heard it in the mid 90's. It's just too simple when stacked up against the rest of their catalog.

35 - Third Eye. It felt criminal continuing to slide this song further and further down the list. Beginning-to-end this was some of Jones' best early work. But there was one big problem I just could not overcome. This song does not keep me engaged. There are some attention grabbing moments, but they are just those - moments. Musically this is a great track and with hind sight gives us a glimpse of what's to come, but as Comfortably Numb kept saying throughout his rollout - this song just doesn't grab my attention.

34 - Invincible. Speaking of a musically great track...notably from 6:50-10:50. But it's here for the same reason why Descending and Fear are ranked as low as they are. And I know I'm in the minority on this one. It doesn't stand alone. I listen to this song multiple times every week, but it always has to be after Pneuma then be immediately followed by something later on the same album. It's a perfect fit on the album, but by itself it just doesn't do it for me like most of their catalog.

33 - Jimmy. Comfortably Numb was right. On a normal bands list this song would probably be top 10. But in Tool's? It's the weakest track on Aenima. It's because Aenima is the greatest album ever created (yes I went there), but there has to be a low point. I never thought I'd have this song this low, but - here we are.

32 - Jambi. The FFA wanting me to do to myself right now. I understand why this is so popular. The rhythm is pulsating. It's ferocious. Relentless. But the song...doesn't go anywhere. And in this catalog that matters. There is one thing about this track that made me second guess where I have this though. Would have I felt differently about this track had I heard it amidst Undertow? And I would. My expectations for their music were just vastly different at this stage of their career vs. the mid 90's. I expected layers and complexities in everything they do post Lateralus. And really anything that doesn't clear that bar falls short. It's an unfair bar, but they set it for themselves.

31 - Wings For Marie/10,000 Days. If y'all haven't murdered me by now then you will with this one. I mentioned the musical talent exuded from Third Eye and Invincible - this is a level up. I mentioned the need for complexities with Jambi - and fittingly the 17 minute epic immediately following it on the same album does just that. There may not be a more emotionally driven song by Maynard in their entire catalog. And that doesn't make the top 30?!?!?!? Nope - and it's the same reason Third Eye's in this tier. I don't stay engaged. And when you make songs at this length that's the difference between here and much...MUCH higher.

comfortably numb said:
Sorry for the long drawn out process but it has been fun and therapeutic at the same time 

Can't wait to see your lists!
Like H a lot, I think it would definitely be in my top 10.  Jambi is just ok for me, not sure where I’d put that one

None of these are better than any song in the last group, but I'm a sucker for some OGT

30 - Cold & Ugly. HOW THE #### DO YOU HAVE THIS HIGHER THAN JAMBIWINGSFORMARIESOBER BAAAAAAAHHI'MGONNAKILLYOU. The answer is actually quite simple. In looking through my customized play lists I noted that no songs outside the top 30 were on any of my customized lists. Since this is a ranking of songs I thought that was a very important qualifier to include. If I need to seek the song out instead of it just getting into my ears at random because of a deliberate decision I made sometime in the past then it has to be below. Which is why this relatively shallow track is here.

29 - Undertow. That opening riff...that build into the chorus...the bridge...into the outro...then finishes with a fury. Musically this song grabs you from the first second and never lets go. It ended up here instead of a lot higher because I think lyrically this is one of Maynard's weaker efforts. 

28 - Sweat. Lots of ways to interpret this song, but it really connected with teenage MAC. Seems like I've been here before...Seems so familiar...Seems like I'm slipping...Into a dream within a dream. I was stuck in a circle and looking inward of a way to break free. Songs like this one motivated me to actually do that. So while it's musically one of their weakest efforts that memory will always remain.

27 - Swamp Song. It's all about the bass. Maynard's voice perfectly compliments it as it carries you through this sludgy track. Jones and Carey are just bystanders though. And for as great of a job as Maynard does vocally on this track, lyrically? Not so much, which is why I put this in a lower tier than the best of Undertow.

26 - Part of Me. Seriously, all of these songs ranked above that last tier? Yep, I know you best, better than anyone. I know you better than I know myself.

MAC_32 said:
Right here I knew #1 was going to be a little off the beaten path.
H is like the most unanimously favorite Tool song of everyone, I feel like it would be more off the beaten path for it to NOT be #1. I assume it would be in everyones top 5.

comfortably numb said:
This is a song that has been with me through my trying cult times and eventual departure.
Have you shared this story?

FYI, I've never gone very deep into Tool's catalogue but this thread has me doing so. Thanks for giving me something to do! :thumbup:

Also, I am not going to give a write up of individual songs or trickle them out, don't @ me. I know #1 might be controversial and I disproportionately dislike Lateralus compared to others. I also separated it into 6 tiers where songs within the tier are more interchangable, delineated by bold/underlined songs. With that said, the rankings are still pretty loose, there are times when I would still feel like listening to 10,000 days over Flood or whatever.

1. Cold and Ugly
  2. H
  3. Bottom
  4. Eulogy
  5. Opiate
  6. Undertow
  7. 46 & 2
  8. Jimmy
  9. Prison Sex
  10. Stink Fist
  11. Swamp Song
  12. Aenima
  13. Hooker with a Penis
  14. Flood
  15. The Pot
  16. Pu#### - Salival Version
  17. Pu#### - Aenima Version
  18. Jambi
  19. Intolerance
  20. Lateralus
  21. Part of Me
  22. Third Eye
  23. Maynard's ****
  24. Hush
  25. Jerk-Off
  26. Crawl Away
  27. Sweat
  28. Parabola
  29. 10,000 Days
  30. The Patient

H is like the most unanimously favorite Tool song of everyone, I feel like it would be more off the beaten path for it to NOT be #1. I assume it would be in everyones top 5.
I didn't realize that.

Admittedly,  I don't talk tool with any friends. Do do tool groups...I found their subreddit for info when concert time and album began dropping.  I skimmed as some people would post top 10s and I didn't recall many (any?) H's

I didn't realize that.

Admittedly,  I don't talk tool with any friends. Do do tool groups...I found their subreddit for info when concert time and album began dropping.  I skimmed as some people would post top 10s and I didn't recall many (any?) H's
Maybe I am overstating it, it is not like I poll massive Tool fan bases, mainly in discussion with friends back in the 90's.

Chatted up my cousin who I've been to a handful of TOOL concerts with...got his top ten -

46 & 2
The patient
Jimmy
AEnima
Sober
Lateralus 
Push it
Pneuma 
Wings for Marie part 1
H.

Thanks for doing this CN.  This was a fund distraction and interesting to see other Tool fans opinions.  They have so much good content that everyone's top 10 is vastly different.  Hell with most band you ask for peoples favorite and a vast majority of the responses would be from a handful of songs.  Not Tool and that just shows how fantastic they are.  Will be posting my top 25 soon just to keep the discussion going.

The should be ranked higher tier

25 - Prison Sex. Maynard's best effort on this album, but where I veer from most with this track is I think the rest of the band is just there. It's simplicity rivals Sober, but Maynard carries it this much higher.

24 - Stinkfist. I'll never forget when I first heard this song. Unlike its predecessors it was just interesting enough for me to actually purchase this album during one of my weekly daily trips to the record store. The first 15 seconds wasn't like anything 'd heard before. A 'metal voice' like that of Maynard in that opening verse wasn't either. The range he displayed throughout kept me around just long enough to get to where this song hits its peak. Chancellor and Jones take this song to another level starting at about 2:30. And that minute plus of music into its finale is ultimately what led me to purchasing. Like that opening, it wasn't anything like I'd heard before. I needed to know more. But I don't think this song is a complete song. At least when stacked up against the rest of the catalog. It has several high points, but I see it as more of a stage setter than anything. And 'stage setter' is going to be a common theme at the bottom of this tier.

23 - The Grudge. I embrace the criticism that's about to come my way. I wear it like a crown of negativity. I had this song ranked similarly as high as most of you back when Lateralus was new. But since Tool re-entered my world over the last few years...this song's just not stuck like it did before. It's a stage setter. The opening...Carey's lead into the chorus...and especially the outro...but the rest? It's...okay. Perhaps I'm overly critical of the middle of this song. Perhaps it's being done with a purpose. To maximize the power of the last 90 seconds of the track. I just think (now) that more could have been done with this song. But it's here instead of the gonna get hell tier because of that final 90 seconds.

22 - Right In Two. Musically and lyrically a beautiful, thought provoking epic. If I'm being objective this is a top 5 Tool track. But this list isn't about objectivity. And the problem with this song is that while I never turn it off when it comes on...I recall times giving others the Seinfeld/Desperado treatment when I'm lost in it (especially the instrumental)...I just never seek it out on my own. And this catalog is so strong that allure is the difference between top 5 and outside the top 20.

21 - H. Is this really a unanimous favorite among Tool fans? For me this was a natural fit directly by Right In Two on my list. I've gone back-and-forth since my first rough draft about which to rank first because my assessment is exactly the same - musically and lyrically a beautiful, thought provoking epic that I just never seek out on my own. The difference? That chill that comes over my spine at that 4:46 I DON'T MIIIIIIIIIIIIND every. single. time.

20 - Ticks & Leashes. If the peanut gallery doesn't have my head in a noose already they will now. This may be a Danny Carey track, but above all else the one thing I still can't wrap my head around with this song is how Maynard is able to not only sustain those screams - but still have enough juice for...well, the entire 7th minute. If those last 2 minutes don't get you to want to run through a brick wall then nothing will.

Users who are viewing this thread