Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
shuke

2020 Topps Heritage set collector club

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Had the idea yesterday to collect the 2020 Topps Heritage set to help break up some stay-at-home boredom.  This mimics the look of the 1971 set, which is probably my favorite.  My kids have some cards but have never really collected/traded them so I'm going to try to do this with them.  If they lose interest I'll probably keep going.

So looking for others who want to do the same who would be interested in trading/shipping doubles.  My goal is the full base set first, and then Reds inserts/parallels.

Here is the checklist.

FBG GROUP CHECKLIST

 

I think @Notorious T.R.E. is at least semi-interested.

 

:nerd:

Edited by shuke
Eephus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

semi-interested

I haven't bought a baseball card in more than 20 years but I was really into cards in the late 80's/early 90's. Even though that was the suckiest time to collect value wise I had a lot of fun doing it.

So this would be buying boxes packs, opening and then trading doubles?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousin sent me an unopened pack of Upper Deck 1990 cards for my birthday.  Maybe I'll do a daily reveal thread when I get tired of OOTP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kraft... said:

So this would be buying boxes packs, opening and then trading doubles?

Yes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, shuke said:
4 hours ago, Kraft... said:

So this would be buying boxes packs, opening and then trading doubles?

Yes.  

Where would people buy such things in these times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Where would people buy such things in these times?

the innerwebs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shuke said:
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Where would people buy such things in these times?

the innerwebs

I thought from the OP that you were talking about boxes of 1971 cards.  :bag:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

I thought from the OP that you were talking about boxes of 1971 cards.  :bag:

:lmao:

First post updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested in this. Will start with some packs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is this a good place to start or is that a crappy deal(8 packs for $20). :shrug:

Edited by Kraft...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Is this a good place to start or is that a crappy deal(8 packs for $20). :shrug:

I bought a few of those to start plus a lot of 25 random cards on ebay.  Based on the checklist page I posted, the blaster boxes don't have as many chances for the inserts as the hobby boxes, but I'm going to wait until I start throwing $80 around for cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I think of getting back into collecting (I was big into it as a kid, from the mid-'70s through mid-'80s), I look at the prices for packs and pull back.

In 1976 you could get a 15-cent pack of 10 cards, so the equivalent of 14 packs (to get 138 cards) shouldn't even cost $10 today based on inflation rates.

I don't have kids, so I would be doing it simply for myself for nostalgia purposes or something to do, but I'm just never sure I can justify it. I would almost rather try to find some lots online of the old cards I collected as a kid and try to build sets that way ... even though I know I would end up paying premiums for some of the non-commons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Every time I think of getting back into collecting (I was big into it as a kid, from the mid-'70s through mid-'80s), I look at the prices for packs and pull back.

In 1976 you could get a 15-cent pack of 10 cards, so the equivalent of 14 packs (to get 138 cards) shouldn't even cost $10 today based on inflation rates.

I don't have kids, so I would be doing it simply for myself for nostalgia purposes or something to do, but I'm just never sure I can justify it. I would almost rather try to find some lots online of the old cards I collected as a kid and try to build sets that way ... even though I know I would end up paying premiums for some of the non-commons.

 

Same thing I've said for years.  But I figure I'm not spending as much money these days on entertainment, so it's justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a couple Blaster boxes to start :banned:

Created a google doc to track cards here , editing is open if you want to add your list to it. 

Happy hunting! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Ordered a couple Blaster boxes to start :banned:

Created a google doc to track cards here , editing is open if you want to add your list to it. 

Happy hunting! 

Should we make a column for each person of what they have willing to trade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shuke said:

Should we make a column for each person of what they have willing to trade?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm just going to put a number in my column next to the cards I get multiples of and an x next to the singles :shrug: 

Edited by Kraft...
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Ordered a couple Blaster boxes to start :banned:

Created a google doc to track cards here , editing is open if you want to add your list to it. 

Happy hunting! 

I added all the variations and inserts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shuke said:

I added all the variations and inserts.

:o there are a crap load of extra cards 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered the mega box. Will check back when it arrives, says delivery April 8th. This set looks awesome, love the 71' vintage feel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have my first box on the 7th. Haven't been this giddy since '93.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

:o there are a crap load of extra cards 

Even some of these inserts have parallels, and I didn't list those all.

For instance, for the chrome list, the checklist says the following.  Not even sure I understand all this.

 

Parallels:

Purple Hot Box Refractors (randomly inserted in hobby boxes and blasters)

Refractors – /571 (1:106 hobby, 1:105 retail, 1:106 blaster, 1:48 fat pack, 1:28 hanger boxes.)

White Border – /71 (1:849 hobby, 1:847 retail, 1:852 blaster, 1:386 fat pack, 1:219 hanger boxes.)

Gold Border – /5 (1:3,304 hobby, hobby only)

Superfractors – 1/1 (1:60,432 hobby, 1:61,368 retail, 1:60,972 blaster, 1:25,971 fat pack, 1:16,400 hanger boxes.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, how the hell do I know when I have a chrome vs. refractor vs. superfractor?

 

I hear @Notorious T.R.E. is an expert on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shuke said:

I mean, how the hell do I know when I have a chrome vs. refractor vs. superfractor?

 

I hear @Notorious T.R.E. is an expert on this.

I pulled an Evan Longoria chrome and it's numbered out of 999.  I guess this is the normal chrome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, shuke said:

I pulled an Evan Longoria chrome and it's numbered out of 999.  I guess this is the normal chrome?

Yes, its a walmart exclusive mega box thing.

 

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2020-topps-heritage-chrome-mega-box-baseball-cards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 2 sets of chrome.  100 cards each.  All numbered /999. One set of 100 is Walmart exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shuke said:

I pulled my from a blaster box pack I ordered from Target.

I thought you were the expert here.  Hmmm.

What a p3n1s

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To figure out variations this article was helpful. See the "Don’t Worry About Codes" section. Apparently the type of variation is printed above the players photo on the back of the card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Hit the attic for storage boxes and cases, I'm ready :drive:

What is the preferred method of storage these days anyway? 

I'm putting mine in soft penny sleeves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rearranged and formatted the checklist.  Please enter what you have with numbers.  I used conditional formatting so anything that you have more than 1 of shows in green and available for trade. 

:nerd:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First two boxes came today. Opened and entered everything into the google sheet. It is a really cool looking set and I have to say the cards are much sturdier these days, they definitely have a feel of quality that they didn't used to have. Only 4 doubles so far, including the #1 Washington Nationals World Series Champions card. 

For special cards I got:

The Giants cards 
#1 which is the "Polo Grounds" card. Shows Willie crossing the plate after his first MLB Homer, pretty damn cool if you ask me. 

2 Flashback cards
BF-3 Bob Gibson shutting out the Mets.
BF-10 Yaz game winner vs the Orioles, as a Boston guy was happy to get this one in my first group of packs.
 
2 Then and Now cards
TN-3 Seaver and Hyun-Jin RYU ERA Leaders NL ERA Leaders
TN-10 Tony Oliva and Tim Anderson AL Batting Leaders

1 New Age Performer
NAP-16 Tim Anderson 

1 Chrome
THC-261 Jack Flaherty. These are pretty nice, have a more enamel looking sheen and a shiny background. 

2 Bazooka Test Cards
#6 Christian Yelich
#10 Juan Soto

Not sure what I'll do next, maybe a Hobby Box, we'll see :coffee: 

 

Edited by Kraft...
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

First two boxes came today. Opened and entered everything into the google sheet. It is a really cool looking set and I have to say the cards are much sturdier these days, they definitely have a feel of quality that they didn't used to have. Only 4 doubles so far, including the #1 Washington Nationals World Series Champions card. 

For special cards I got:

The Giants cards 
#1 which is the "Polo Grounds" card. Shows Willie crossing the plate after his first MLB Homer, pretty damn cool if you ask me. 

2 Flashback cards
BF-3 Bob Gibson shutting out the Mets.
BF-10 Yaz game winner vs the Orioles, as a Boston guy was happy to get this one in my first group of packs.
 
2 Then and Now cards
TN-3 Seaver and Hyun-Jin RYU ERA Leaders NL ERA Leaders
TN-10 Tony Oliva and Tim Anderson AL Batting Leaders

1 New Age Performer
NAP-16 Tim Anderson 

1 Chrome
THC-261 Jack Flaherty. These are pretty nice, have a more enamel looking sheen and a shiny background. 

2 Bazooka Test Cards
#6 Christian Yelich
#10 Juan Soto

Not sure what I'll do next, maybe a Hobby Box, we'll see :coffee: 

 

Only 4 doubles??  What kind of boxes were these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shuke said:

Only 4 doubles??  What kind of boxes were these?

2 Blaster boxes from Target :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My shipment says out for delivery today, 2 days ahead of schedule. Hopefully I can get in to this tonight. :clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I entered about 6 packs with no doubles. :shrug: I have 9 packs left to enter, I'll try to get them in tomorrow night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opened my box last night (that's what she said), nothing too exciting (also what she said), will get it entered into the spreadsheet tonight.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Both look good, I actually really like fruity beer :thumbup:

Same here especially hazy IPA's with a hint of citrus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entered the others I had tonight. 15 packs total plus a bonus pack, 138 cards and no duplicates. :loco:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think @shuke has enough doubles for all of us. I did a count and he has 40 :shock: I have 5 and we have almost the same amount of total cards :shrug: Interesting that of my 5 doubles shuke doesn't even have singles of any of them. Makes for good trade potential which is what this is all about :thumbup:

Edited by Kraft...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and the boy have a stack of doubles too, I'll have to go through them and post

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a retail box on the way.  I'm going to try to savor it though and not open all the packs at once.  Once I get through that, I'll be ready for some trades.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, shuke said:

I've got a retail box on the way.  I'm going to try to savor it though and not open all the packs at once.  Once I get through that, I'll be ready for some trades.

Just ordered a retail box as well. Hopefully I'll get some doubles for trading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What are the different types of boxes? Blaster and Hobby I know, what are the others? I've seen "retail" and "mega" any others? Assuming the difference is the variations/inserts that are available in each type of box. 

And what type have people already opened/ordered? I've opened 2 Blasters and ordered 1 Hobby(should arrive tomorrow). 

 

Edited by Kraft...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.