What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mail Order Steaks, Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Thread title sums it up, anyone order from any of these Chicago, Kansas City, Omaha Steaks kind of places?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Butcher box ftw
:sadbanana:

Join Our Waitlist

At ButcherBox, accountability is one of our core values. The last thing we would ever do is make a promise we can't keep, so we're starting a waitlist for new ButcherBox members in order to focus on quality, safety, and service for our current members.

Please sign up for our waitlist, and you'll be the first to know when we're ready to take your order. We appreciate your patience as we're working to make more room at our table.

Not sure I would recommend Omaha Steaks, we get them every now and then from my inlaws, and you would significantly decrease the cost and increase the quality just going to costco. The steaks all seem to be 0.5 inches thick. 

$90 for one steak......or $75 per pound based on the average size specified.  I cannot see where it is worth that price tag...
Have you ever had one? I assure you it's a life changing, spiritual experience that will ruin you for all other steaks in the future.

Have you ever had one? I assure you it's a life changing, spiritual experience that will ruin you for all other steaks in the future.
I have not but I have a steakhouse near me that will rival it and it costs less than $90 and I get all the fixins with it. 

$90 for one steak......or $75 per pound based on the average size specified.  I cannot see where it is worth that price tag...
I’m a big steak guy. Buy prime or dry aged cuts all the time from a local good butcher shop. With that said about five years ago my wife and I went out for a big celebratory dinner at a top-tier restaurant in Napa. Decided to go big and ordered an A5 Wagyu steak.  Was 250$ for 4oz.  I couldn’t wrap my head around a 4 ounce steak, but the waiter assured me that would be more than enough and even insinuated I wouldn’t finish it. Absolute lunacy I thought.
When the state came out it looked so tiny on the plate and it really didn’t look like I’m what I’m used it. It was just this little cube.  My first three bites were small but insane, melted in your mouth and flavor like you couldn’t imagine. But sure enough about 2 ounces in it was so rich that I was struggling to get it down, I literally on pure pride alone force myself to eat all 4 ounces. But honestly the last few bites were not very good, it was overwhelmingly rich, the only thing I can compare it to was like highly decadent chocolate.  On my last bite the meat sweats kicked in harder then I’ve ever felt and I couldn’t finish the rest of my meal, all this from 4oz’s.  Just nuts. 

Not sure I would recommend Omaha Steaks, we get them every now and then from my inlaws, and you would significantly decrease the cost and increase the quality just going to costco. The steaks all seem to be 0.5 inches thick. 
Not a fan of Omaha’s either.  I’d pass on them.

My mom gets me a pack every year for Christmas because she knows I love steak. I haven’t had the heart to tell her I don’t really enjoy the Omaha’s so every year another box shows up.  

this!  go to costco, buy the tenderloin, marinade with yoshidas for 24 hours.  best steak ever.   buuuuut for mail order?   Not Omaha IMO.

that's all I know.

Any recommendations on how to cook?  Assuming grill, time on each side?  
S&P, super hot fire, time dependent on heat. If you can get to 1,000F plus only a couple minutes per side. If down around 700F then probably 3 minutes per side.  Or sous vide to 120 and sear at 1,000F plus for about 30 seconds per side. Extra credit if you top with chef's gold.

I’m a big steak guy. Buy prime or dry aged cuts all the time from a local good butcher shop. With that said about five years ago my wife and I went out for a big celebratory dinner at a top-tier restaurant in Napa. Decided to go big and ordered an A5 Wagyu steak.  Was 250$ for 4oz.  I couldn’t wrap my head around a 4 ounce steak, but the waiter assured me that would be more than enough and even insinuated I wouldn’t finish it. Absolute lunacy I thought.
When the state came out it looked so tiny on the plate and it really didn’t look like I’m what I’m used it. It was just this little cube.  My first three bites were small but insane, melted in your mouth and flavor like you couldn’t imagine. But sure enough about 2 ounces in it was so rich that I was struggling to get it down, I literally on pure pride alone force myself to eat all 4 ounces. But honestly the last few bites were not very good, it was overwhelmingly rich, the only thing I can compare it to was like highly decadent chocolate.  On my last bite the meat sweats kicked in harder then I’ve ever felt and I couldn’t finish the rest of my meal, all this from 4oz’s.  Just nuts. 
This sounds like total rudy batcrap nutsness.  But I trust you GB, so I absolutely gotta try one now.

S&P, super hot fire, time dependent on heat. If you can get to 1,000F plus only a couple minutes per side. If down around 700F then probably 3 minutes per side.  Or sous vide to 120 and sear at 1,000F plus for about 30 seconds per side. Extra credit if you top with chef's gold.
Thank man.  I get the green egg stoking good and hot.  

this!  go to costco, buy the tenderloin, marinade with yoshidas for 24 hours.  best steak ever.   buuuuut for mail order?   Not Omaha IMO.

that's all I know.
I want a steak that I coat lightly with sea salt crystals and a pinch of pepper, nothing else.

***Maybe a touch of butter if I'm in the mood to be a fat ###. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, first thing I clicked on was this https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/dry-aged-beef/fresh-great-eight.html

It's like fate, the perfect combo of what I want to order. Cut the filet side for my wife, my little boys and I will be carnivores on the strip side. 

Unfortunately, not a Ribeye guy, I don't like the fatty meat as much. I'll give SRF a shot.

ETA: 

I'll give one of these Waygu Ribeyes a shot. 

Not a fan of Omaha’s either.  I’d pass on them.

My mom gets me a pack every year for Christmas because she knows I love steak. I haven’t had the heart to tell her I don’t really enjoy the Omaha’s so every year another box shows up.  
Yeah, my brother did this for years. I finally told him I had enough of the free steak knives they throw in with every order.

Honestly - if anyone here needs steak knives I have about 60 sitting around, begging for action.

Alright, first thing I clicked on was this https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/dry-aged-beef/fresh-great-eight.html

It's like fate, the perfect combo of what I want to order. Cut the filet side for my wife, my little boys and I will be carnivores on the strip side. 

Unfortunately, not a Ribeye guy, I don't like the fatty meat as much. I'll give SRF a shot.

ETA: 

Good call.  You're a Luger's guy, right? Prepare to be amazed.

ETA: 

Disclaimer:  If you are going to burn the crap out of it, I rescind my recommendation.   :D

I have $200 worth of Omaha steaks coming tomorrow.  I don't care if it is five star.

I planned this out in January when people started talking about the virus

Local dairy gets use our milk/cheese/eggs/bread to us every week

Nutri-System gets us 30 days of meals--we ordered two sets--we will stick with this for 90 days not to lose weight but just to have a "base" of frozen food to fallback on.

Omaha steaks gets us protein and sides.

Limited local supermarket runs/frequent Amazon deliveries and we are set.

I was a part-time butcher in high school--yeah a lot of ammunition there.  I am not thinking Omaha will be grade A--but it is affordable protein to take care of your family and that is all that counts right now. There are a lot of people right now living on PB and J's.

dkp993 said:
One cannot possibly get the meat sweats from 4oz of meat. 

I assume I have to freeze these? I typically go to a butcher and cook steak within hours of buying it, this is new to me. Should I move the steak in the fridge the night before cooking?

ETA:

Anyone ever order this? Should I try it or is that for suckers? https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/dry-aged-beef/chefs-gold.html
Snake river farms has great quality meats. There and lobels are my go to spots.  Tri tip and lobels is great quality and price isn’t bad.

Snake river farms has great quality meats. There and lobels are my go to spots.  Tri tip and lobels is great quality and price isn’t bad.
$50 for delivery, plus it wasn’t going to arrive for 10 days. I ended up using Yelp and driving 25 minutes to a butcher with good reviews. Not the same quality I’m accustomed to, but good enough.

They certainly seemed to be upset that I was wearing a mask, so I won’t return, #### them! Can just tell there was an attitude about it. These people down here don’t know what’s heading their way.

$50 for delivery, plus it wasn’t going to arrive for 10 days. I ended up using Yelp and driving 25 minutes to a butcher with good reviews. Not the same quality I’m accustomed to, but good enough.

They certainly seemed to be upset that I was wearing a mask, so I won’t return, #### them! Can just tell there was an attitude about it. These people down here don’t know what’s heading their way.
🤦🏽‍♂️

Its never occured to me to want to buy mail order meat. I mean, I have a seafood guy that delivers fresh shrimp/scallops/fish from the boat to my door, but its local and delivery charge is only $7 (free if the order is $70+)

Steaks though? I dont think I could pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread