What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking all Songs by Rage Against The Machine - 1. Know Your Enemy (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
In this thread, I will meander toward a ranking of every original Rage Against The Machine song.  Why am I doing this?  Well, everyone else gets to have a self-indulgent music thread, so why not me?!  But honestly, no band in my life has had more of an impact on my worldview, general personality, musical tastes, and my own guitar and bass playing.  When their first album dropped and that Freedom video came out, it honestly changed everything about what I thought about music, about what was going on the world, and what individuals could do.  It made me disillusioned, disgusted, inspired and free all at once.  We've actually been watching the Matrix trilogy lately with my daughter and I think that being exposed to Rage Against The Machine was kind of like my red pill moment.  (And yes, I am talking about the Matrix, so don't get too excited you word-skimming distractophile incels).  Around the same time, I started reading about all different religions throughout the world*, read the book Jack about a kid whose father comes out as being gay** and went on a sailing trip in the Carribean*** where I met a one-legged homeless man named Byron begging on the docks of Antigua who seemed as happy as a clam.

I got angry (yes, Zach, it was gift.)  I got inspired to learn more and more and this hit just prior to us getting the internet at home, which fed my insatiable hunger to learn and understand about the "real" world.  I got an imprint of anti-establishment edge that has never left me, even as I while away the hours in a square office, living in a bourgeois neighborhood, drinking coffee that is too expensive, spending hours poring over microbrew selections ... well, you know what white people like.  I am officially the most militant dilettante.

Anyway, the point is this: I am an affluent caucasian male, so I get to be the arbiter of what is good and bad and make sure everyone else knows about it.  Wait, no, that's not it.  The point is that for some reason, I have just gotten this bug in my brain (not unlike that of Agent Smith himself) and my soul to re-examine the entire catalog of RATM in a serious way.  It doesn't hurt that The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded end with Rage songs.  And it may not hurt that my daughter is 15, and it is interesting to see her own intellectual, emotional and spiritual development.

I will not rank cover songs (from Renegades or otherwise), solo work from Tom Morello, solo work from Zach De La Rocha, Street Sweeper Social Club, The Night Watchman, One Day as a Lion, Audioslave, Prophets of Rage, or any other works not done by Rage Against the machine proper.  I will consider these for subsequent rankings.

Rankings will be based on the following dimensions: 

Groove

Repeat listenability

Sonic power and feeling

Technical innovation

Guitar Riffs and Solos

Knowledge 

Emotion

Lyrical fire

Bass lines

Wild Card!

Some general observations:

1) I had been prepared to obliterate 3 of the 5 songs from the demos that were released, but in re-listening, I could really hear the core elements that they went on to refine and implement in later songs, so I could not completely flay them and none of them will be the song in dead last.  Which one will it be?!

2) It's also interesting listening to Zach's vocals in those demos, which are much more calm and lacking passion and really kind of bring of the songs down.  He may have been tired after everything he was sending out during his time in Inside Out.  It's also really interesting how important that fire is to the band and why the side projects such as Audioslave, Prophets of Rage and Street Sweeper Social Club haven't really worked, despite having the same type of musical beds and seriously amazing vocalists and lyricists in their own right.

3) Snakecharmer on Evil Empire is where it seems like the band really starts taking a turn to more interesting musical composition and sets the stage for a so much of Morello's later work.

All rankings are based on my personal assessment, though should we require and decisions that are final and arbitrary, those will be provided by @hagmania, a fact of which he is just learning at this moment.

*hey, so um, doesn't it kind of seem like each of these is highly geographically-based?  So like, isn't around 80% or more of your religious belief just random coincidence?  And I'm supposed to just be Presbyterian because?  "They have a different system of elders and governance than other Christian sects."  That is essentially what I was told when I asked my dad what the difference was between Presbyterians and other religions.  That was a cause that I could get behind!

**i took this trip with my uncle, who was a sailor (a rich guy, not like a noble naval soldier), and his family.  My couisn was the same age as me and we always got along.  His mom suggested to him that he read the book Jack.  He ridiculed the notion of reading a book about a kid whose father is guy.  Oddly enough, my cousin later came out as gay himself.

***Great encapsulation of my life that even as I am experiencing illuminating truths about the underlying nature of the world, I am doing it from the glass case of decadence.****

****Footnotes, really?  Talk about self-indulgent tedium.

RANKINGS

40. (Tie) - Tire Me - Evil Empire

40 (Tie) - Mindset's a Threat - Demos

38. Snakecharmer - Evil Empire

37. Autologic - Demos

36. The Narrows - Demos

35. Sleep Now in the Fire - The Battle of Los Angeles

34. Settle for Nothing - Rage Against the Machine

33. Fistful of Steel - Rage Against the Machine

32. Voice of the Voiceless - The Battle of Los Angeles

31. Township Rebellion - Rage Against the Machine

30. Ashes in the Fall - The Battle of Los Angeles

29. Born as Ghosts - The Battle of Los Angeles

28. Wind Below - Evil Empire

27. Bombtrack - Rage Against the Machine

26. Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

25. No Shelter - Godzilla Soundtrack

24. Born of a Broken Man - The Battle of Los Angeles

23. Take the Power Back - Rage Against the Machine

22. Roll Right - Evil Empire

21. Year of the Boomerang - Evil Empire (pending re-ranking)

20. Bullet in the Head - Rage Against the Machine

19. War Within a Breath - The Battle of Los Angeles

18. Revolver - Evil Empire

17. Vietnow - Evil Empire

16. Calm Like a Bomb - The Battle of Los Angeles

15. New Millenium Homes - The Battle of Los Angeles

14. Clear the Lane - Demos

13. Maria - Evil Empire

12. Mic Check - The Battle of Los Angeles

11. Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine

10. Freedom - Rage Against The Machine

9. Testify - Single

8. Testify - The Battle of Los Angeles  

7. Darkness of Greed - Demos

6. Guerrilla Radio - The Battle of Los Angeles

5. Bulls on Parade - Evil Empire

4. Down Rodeo - Evil Empire

3. Without a Face - Evil Empire

2. People of the Sun - Evil Empire

1. Know Your Enemy - Rage Against the Machine

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Bulls on Parade

2. Killing in the name of

3. Calm Like a Bomb

4. Wake Up

5. Testify

6. Ghost of Tom Joad 

7. People of the Sun

8. Down Rodeo

9. Bombtrack

10. Sleep Now in the Fire

Reactions: Ash
Fantastic band. After wearing out a few copies of their first album in college, then buying Evil Empire on its release and wearing that out, too, I started to realize that like many bands, their songs had a fairly repetitive structure.

Then I realized that I didn't care at all.

Such a raw sonic attack -- never gets old.

1. Fistful of Steel

2. Bullet in the Head

3. Bombtrack

4. Down Rodeo

5. Roll Right

Top five all time band for me. Love Rage. 

1. Killing In The Name - not going to over think this one, it checks all of the boxes

2-5. Breaking up this group feels like an exercise in futility. I'm looking over the eval list...and what's the difference maker? Sure, one of them may have a better groove than others, but then another has a better bass line, and another more technically developed. So this is why I'm thankful @Long Ball Larry added wild card as criteria - the wild card I'm choosing is applicability to the masses if they actually listened to this song's message.

2a. Bullet in the Head 

2b. Know Your Enemy

2c. Wake Up

2d. Freedom

6. Sleep Now In The Fire - There is an argument I won't pick that it belongs in the above group. For me, I split it out because of the culmination of each song. Not that this one isn't a powerful one - it is. It's just those 4 are another level.

7. Bulls on Parade - kinda like Killing In The Name, not over thinking this one. It's down here for the same reason as Sleep Now In the Fire, the finish could have been more developed.

8. Vietnow - It was easy identifying the first 7, sorting them out - not so much. But #8 and #9? This was easy. Because these songs don't check all of the boxes, but the ones that it does were done on another level...this may have been Zack's best work.

9. Down Rodeo - if Vietnow wasn't Zack's best work it's probably this one. 

10. My answer here probably changes depending on what day you ask me. People of the Sun, Snakecharmer, Guerilla Radio, Born of a Broken Man, Take The Power Back...it's one of those. I'll go People of the Sun because beginning-to-end it's a complete (albeit, short) song that fits all of the criteria (but power/emotion) but I don't feel right using process of elimination to come to that conclusion so it probably isn't.

EDIT: I was wrong, after listening to them all this morning #10 is Take The Power Back (for today anyway) - it's quite simply too powerful in comparison to the others.

Down Rodeo certainly addresses certain lingering issues in America, doesn't it?

Probably easily the most provocative song they ever cut, and this is from a kid who had Revelation's Inside Out on 7" and a Rage shirt as soon as they came out. I was on the trip, so one might say.

But Down Rodeo blew my mind with its juxtaposition.

I've always been a big fan of Ashes in the Fall

Listen to the fascist sing
"Take hope here
War is elsewhere
You were chosen
This is Gods land
Soon we'll be free
Of blot and mixture
Seeds planted by our Forefathers hand"

I love that ####### song

Eta I know it's a cover...I like rages better

Ok, all songs have been ranked.  I still might make some changes in the middle, but the very bottom and very top I think are pretty much locked in.  To start with, we have a tie at number 40!

40. (Tie) - Tire Me - Evil Empire

I find most of this song to just be so repetitive and annoying and not even really that rhythmic.   I guess they could get bonus points for being sort of meta with the title, because it does tire me out, but I just dislike it a lot.

40 (Tie) - Mindset's a Threat - Demos

I do appreciate them trying to do something different, but I just have a hard time dealing with Zach's rasta stylings.

38. Snakecharmer - Evil Empire

Another track that I just find fairly uninspiring musically and doesn't really go anywhere.  The main theme of the lyrics is fine, but doesn't seem like it is pushing any particular envelope.

37. Autologic - Demos

This is one that has some interesting elements that will come up in later songs and a very cool jazz breakdown in the middle, but overall just not that much to hang your hat on.

Or substitute girls with skirts and high socks instead. It's the nineties!

35. Sleep Now in the Fire - The Battle of Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

Listening to it again, I think that it may be too low, but I've gotta stick with the data...

I will say that we are now moving into a new tier and I wouldn't argue too strongly about this one vs. any of the next 5 (or maybe even more).  Overall, I just don't find it all that interesting musically and it is definitely not a go to song if I were just to think that I want to hear a Rage song.  The lyrics are decent, though.

The nina, the pinta, the santa maria
The noose and the rapist, the fields' overseer
The agents of orange
The priests of hiroshima
The cost of my desire
Sleep now in the fire

The opening riff/chorus is pretty nice and the bridge later in the song is good, but altogether this song doesn't have that much going on for it.   Not much of a groove and while the rhymes are decent, not really saying all that much.  Interesting experiment that seems like an outgrowth of some of the tracks on the demo and maybe explains why they didn't put some on the full album.

The opening riff/chorus is pretty nice and the bridge later in the song is good, but altogether this song doesn't have that much going on for it.   Not much of a groove and while the rhymes are decent, not really saying all that much.  Interesting experiment that seems like an outgrowth of some of the tracks on the demo and maybe explains why they didn't put some on the full album.
Boo, Hiss, boo, hiss.  

Aptly and unlike Sleep Now in the Fire accurately put.

32. Voice of the Voiceless - Battle of Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4A0Qya23y0

If I were just to pick a random song to listen to, I actually might listen to this song ahead of some that are above it on the list, because it is pretty accessible and I like the rhymes, but it's kind of short and not advancing the ball that much for them lyrically or musically, so I have to keep it down a little bit.

Well the powerful got nervous cause he refused to be they servant
Cause he spit truth that burned like black churches
Prose and verses, a million poor in hearses
Watch the decision of Dred Scott as it reverses

And Orwell's hell a terror era coming through
But this little brother's watching you too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fihxa4Q7q1g

I like the sound of the bassline and the guitar solo is pretty nice.  It's a good song, but again just not pushing that much of an envelope relative to the rest of their songs.  Just kind of a generalized idea of rebellion and white supremacy and a good message to speak up, but not particularly specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fihxa4Q7q1g

I like the sound of the bassline and the guitar solo is pretty nice.  It's a good song, but again just not pushing that much of an envelope relative to the rest of their songs.  Just kind of a generalized idea of rebellion and white supremacy and a good message to speak up, but not particularly specific.
Really having trouble with "Sleep Now In The Fire" being number thirty-five while replaying these songs. This one's a dud. Flat out.

But you're doing a good job and I appreciate the effort, LBL. You're not ####### strangers in the ###, that's for sure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksn9k6CdlLU

I don't love the music on this one, but I do like the lyrics.  This whole album features much more complex and poetic lyrics from Zach, though a little less specific.  But I like these lyrics a lot.

Ain't it funny how the factory's doors close?
'Round the time that the school doors close?
'Round the time that the doors of the jail cells
Open up to greet you like the reaper?

29. Born as Ghosts - The Battle of Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvHrg1eQIY

I think that the groove on this one and the guitar work are pretty interesting and Zach's lyrics are really good.  The imagery is strong and I like the way that it all fits together.  It's not amazing, but it fits together a lot of nice elements.  I guess it's kind of similar to Ashes in the Fall, theme-wise.

One book and forty ghosts stuffed in a room
Ah, the school as a tomb
Where home is a wasteland, taste the razor wire
And thought is locked in the womb
The tales that tear at the myth of the dream

Awesome thread.  Should make an epic playlist when you are done Larry.  

I had floor tickets a month from now too dammit. 

Long Ball Larry said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksn9k6CdlLU

I don't love the music on this one, but I do like the lyrics.  This whole album features much more complex and poetic lyrics from Zach, though a little less specific.  But I like these lyrics a lot.

Ain't it funny how the factory's doors close?
'Round the time that the school doors close?
'Round the time that the doors of the jail cells
Open up to greet you like the reaper?
Ok then. That’s my sleeper Rage song that I would put top 7ish

28. Bombtrack - Rage Against the Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVck6DkOi38

We have probably now crossed into the territory where any of these songs now are ones that I would be happy to throw on as a random track at any time.

Great track to announce their arrival and we all know the intro and chorus and say what they are all about.  But it is relatively basic and again the lyrics are not particularly insightful or specific.  Maybe it should get more love for it being a very good way to kick off the debut album, but if I am considering the songs on more of an individual level, this is where I put it.

27. Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

Probably another controversial one, but I was honestly surprised that this was ever a big radio song.   So repetitive and anti-pop really (which is certainly cool in its right).  Yes, the riffs are pretty bad ### and yes if bombtrack was announcing their arrival, this track was kicking in the door and saying #### you (i won't do what you tell me) and I totally appreciate all of that, but as a song in and of itself, I can only give it so much credit.  

Probably another controversial one, but I was honestly surprised that this was ever a big radio song.   So repetitive and anti-pop really (which is certainly cool in its right).  Yes, the riffs are pretty bad ### and yes if bombtrack was announcing their arrival, this track was kicking in the door and saying #### you (i won't do what you tell me) and I totally appreciate all of that, but as a song in and of itself, I can only give it so much credit.  
This list blows. That song is over 25 years old and probably more relevant now. 

I am confused by your last two, but am still really surprised by "Sleep Now In The Fire"

I am the Nina/The Pinta/The Santa Maria...

I can't get on you, really, for recognizing how anti-pop both "Killing In The Name" and "Bombtrack" are. They're really heavy songs with anti-pop riffs. But I figured they'd still go higher. There are that many better Rage songs?

Color me something. Color my world.

rock is like a dog with a bone here.

i guess my big beef with Sleep Now in the Fire is that I really dislike the guitar tone for the chorus.  it sounds like some half ### honky tonk bar band and i just don't find that riff or the musical bed of the verse that interesting.  I am willing to reconsider the whole list after the fact, but in re-listening to the whole catalog, I really value Zach's maturing as a writer of lyrics and the pushing of the musical boundaries, and that figures fairly prominently in the rankings for me.

W. T. F.

This is my #1 RATM song.  Sums up all they are about in a single lyric. I just discovered this thread and am already irate.  

rock is like a dog with a bone here.

i guess my big beef with Sleep Now in the Fire is that I really dislike the guitar tone for the chorus.  it sounds like some half ### honky tonk bar band and i just don't find that riff or the musical bed of the verse that interesting.  I am willing to reconsider the whole list after the fact, but in re-listening to the whole catalog, I really value Zach's maturing as a writer of lyrics and the pushing of the musical boundaries, and that figures fairly prominently in the rankings for me.
Rrrrr.

I love this comment. Thanks, man. I dig the explanation. It's all personal taste and I'll have to re-listen to make sure I'm not making too big a deal about the chorus and how it's just drilling into my brain in this thread.

28.  The Wind Below - Evil Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKiXt5PkWs

Alright, mea culpa, I need to rearrange this a bit.  This song should be below Bombtrack and Killing in the Name.  I was initially overwhelmed with the bridge and the way that Zach spits some of these rhymes, but at the end of the day, it is not better as an overall track.  So put this at 28 and move those 2 up.

And all the shareholders gonna flex, and try ta annex the truth
While the new trust is gonna flex, and cast their image in you
Yeah all the shareholders gonna flex, and try ta annex the truth
And while the new trust tries ta flex, and cast their image in you
And GE is gonna flex and try and annex the truth
And NBC is gonna flex and cast their image in you
And Disney bought the fantasies and piles of eyes
And ABC's new thrill rides of trials and lies
And while the gut eaters strain to pull the mud from their mouths
They force our ears to go deaf to the screams in the south

Users who are viewing this thread