What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you currently employed 4/2/20? (1 Viewer)

Just looking for a glimpse into the life of the FFA

• Yes, I work from home

Votes: 134 64.4%
  • Yes, I go into work

Votes: 54 26.0%
  • No, I lost my job or got laid off

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • No, I wasnt working before Covid-19

Votes: 10 4.8%

• Total voters
Both my wife and I are lucky that we are both still getting paid our full salary, I know many people are not as fortunate. 

Furloughs and layoffs announced to be coming today or tomorrow to my $13b revenue, fortune 500 company.

Check with me again mid day on Friday.

My audio visual work is done for the foreseeable future I don't expect events to make a comeback any time soon.

My voiceover work has slowed considerably but will shift big time with eLearning and other factors changing the industry, especially for those who can record from home.

My audio visual work is done for the foreseeable future I don't expect events to make a comeback any time soon.

My voiceover work has slowed considerably but will shift big time with eLearning and other factors changing the industry, especially for those who can record from home.
Not to hijack, but I find your work interesting.  Have you ever started a post about what you do?  

Avoided layoffs and furloughs, but it was announced that, company-wide, there would be reductions in hours (and therefore pay).  The head of my division is fighting for us to avoid said reductions as we represent a HUGE chunk of the business but only about 1/10th of the workforce.

I am currently coming into our office.  I don't have a good work-from-home setup.  I sanitize like a mo-fo.

My job is safe but work will get sparse in a week or two.  Guess I'll be getting full pay while trying to stay busy.  

Wife's job is also safe, and she is also getting full pay.  

My only concern is we are both full-time WFH now.  The first week was fun, and we're getting along fine, but our current levels of alcohol consumption are not healthy.

I don't fit any of the poll options. I am a self-employed small business owner that technically is still open but currently not getting customers.

I work from home, my wife is still working her physical job.  She works in government housing, so I think her job is safe for now. Out company on the other hand... The orders are drying up.  One of our facilities had to close due to a COVID outbreak... As long as the company is still "there" I think I am pretty safe.  I'm just hoping as a company we can weather this storm.. :(  

I work in a grocery store, so I think I'm pretty safe.  Wife has worked from home for years for Wells Fargo.  She's safe.

Very fortunate that the wife and I are stable and employed.  My work is exploding (just got a raise, in fact) and I can largely work from home (though I hate it).  Wife is in the medical field and does IT support work, so she gets to work from home, which is really nice considering the risks in being on site.

Been working at home for two weeks now.  I work in transportation and the freight never stops, so I have stayed steady/busy. I am very fortunate right now and I know it.

Not to hijack, but I find your work interesting.  Have you ever started a post about what you do?  
No, but I've tried helping a few people here that contacted me in private about getting into VO. No one has followed through once you realize how much time, money and work is actually involved in doing it seriously. 

No, but I've tried helping a few people here that contacted me in private about getting into VO. No one has followed through once you realize how much time, money and work is actually involved in doing it seriously. 
Once established I've heard that you can do pretty well here.  I hope your work rebounds.

Sadly my voice is much more sonorous inside my head than in a recording.  I doubt people would pay to hear me talk. They would almost assuredly pay to not have me sing.

Both my wife and I are working from home in durable jobs, so little threat of either of us losing ours (she is a school vice principal, and I am in banking).  She obviously will be going back in as soon as possible, but I would expect I will be working at home as long as almost anyone.  Almost all of my job can be done at home, and several people in my office with justifiable reasons work from home part time already.

There are a limited number of legit reasons a certain number of people need to be in the office, but I could see a rotation of people in the office going forward to reduce the amount of space required as well as the carbon footprint of the company.

I'd be interested in maybe a second question related to how much if any income has been impacted.

I'm working.

Company deemed essential as part of the supply chain for military and medical.

I prefer to keep work and home separate but right now I wouldn't mind reducing my exposure. About 90% of my job could be done at home but the company isn't looking to do that unless you're sick.

I feel fortunate that both my wife and I are still working and have very secure jobs. I go in and she works from home

Currently employed, but not going into work.  I have to work within physical proximity to clients (considered non-essential business) and am on quarantine for the foreseeable future.  Basically I'm riding this thing out a couple/3 months and going from there, but still with company.  Wasn't really a poll option for that.  

Employed and wfh in the health insurance sector. More work than I can handle now. 

Wife is a hospice RN. More work than she can handle now as the health systems are pushing folks out of hospitals etc to hospice environments to clear the path for the wave of Covid cases that will inevitably happen here. Needless to say she is stressed beyond belief so I am making sure we have an overabundance of booze in the house...

Still working.  My job is agricultural related so got an exemption.  Surrounded by 1000s of acres so very easy to work 100s of feet from anyone.

I'd be interested in maybe a second question related to how much if any income has been impacted.
I've worked from home for 12 years (technology sales), so not much difference yet.  But business is starting to slow dramatically with companies freezing budgets, cancelling evaluations, etc.  So my commissions will definitely be impacted in Q2.

Girlfriend is now working from home (training/enablement for a tech startup).  That came with a 15% pay-cut.

Not much difference for us. 

The one time it's fairly beneficial to be a federal employee.

The hospital network I worked for laid off 350 people back in February. My severance ran out on March 10. So I went into this thing unemployed.

We've have a good sized savings, some outside income, and have always been penny pinchers anyway. So while we can't go for years this way, we'll be okay for quite a while.

Just found out today I'm getting a 20% pay cut. I didn't learn of this from my company, I had to read about it in the ******* newspaper. Of course they're trying to feed us some BS about the executives taking an ever bigger hit. Like their salary is at all relevant. Our stock is way up today. Double the S&P's gains and triple the Dow's at the moment. Executive pay cut my ###.

I’m a consultant and usually work on site with a State (FL) client, but at home doing everything I normally do on site remotely for the time being. 

Just found out today I'm getting a 20% pay cut. I didn't learn of this from my company, I had to read about it in the ******* newspaper. Of course they're trying to feed us some BS about the executives taking an ever bigger hit. Like their salary is at all relevant. Our stock is way up today. Double the S&P's gains and triple the Dow's at the moment. Executive pay cut my ###.
I hear ya. It sucks for sure. My company has a mix of 10 and 20 percent cuts effective next Monday. Supposedly just for Q2, but we’ll see about that. 

ETA: Did I mention I just got a promotion and hitting my 5 year anniversary in which I get more PTO? All for not right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Presently employed working a 4 day work week (pay also reduced 20%), but I'm still permitted to work oncall 24x7. 

Was supposed to be splitting WFH with a guy at work, but I volunteered to come into the office on my 4-days.  It's rather pleasant there, with 12 or so people spread out in a buidling larger that a football field.  Turns out it's the people, not my job, that I dislike.

I work from home but the work is "drying up"

Doubtful I stop working but we are very limited on the work we can currently do
Yeah, this is me. Trying to "show" the work I and my teammates are doing and the next couple levels of management I feel like are trying hard to show/justify it too but really I'm not doing much.

Company is bringing in money hand over fist during this whole thing though so maybe they do right by us... though that doesn't sound like corporate America does it. 

Andy Dufresne said:
The hospital network I worked for laid off 350 people back in February. My severance ran out on March 10. So I went into this thing unemployed.

We've have a good sized savings, some outside income, and have always been penny pinchers anyway. So while we can't go for years this way, we'll be okay for quite a while.
Missed this earlier.  Wishing you the best and the speediest.

I'm a general pediatrician so I am going to work.

We were not sure how this virus was going to affect our business.  The H1N1 Influenza outbreak in 2009 increased our visits by 30% and that was the busiest year we've had in the past 20.

The COVID19 outbreak has decreased our visits by 30-40% thus far over the past 3 weeks and we are anticipating a 50+% decrease within 6 weeks from now.  This is being seen across the board for all primary care practices.  And this is a good thing.  Patients are listening.  Don't come in to the office or ER unless you are really sick to prevent spreading illness to others.  

We're at the point where community spread is prevalent and any respiratory symptoms could be COVID19 so screening for travel/other exposures is moot. So we're cutting provider/medical assistant/other staff schedules, decreasing office hours and increasing telemedicine capabilities.

Hang in there all!  We will get through this ####.  And then, by this time next year,  there will be a vaccine.  Please get it.  

Northern Voice said:
Yeah, this is me. Trying to "show" the work I and my teammates are doing and the next couple levels of management I feel like are trying hard to show/justify it too but really I'm not doing much.

Company is bringing in money hand over fist during this whole thing though so maybe they do right by us... though that doesn't sound like corporate America does it. 
what about Corporate Canada?  Is that a thing?

My company outlined 3 options today: 1) reduce to 4 days/week, receive 80% income (health benefits ok) for 120 days, 2) full furlough, no work, receive 60% pay including unemployment (balance made up by company, health benefits ok) for 60 days, 3) layoff, some severence.

They have to cut $300m in indirect spend in the next 2 quarters.

They will tell us each individually in 7-14 days.

Also, they suspended merit increases (now 2 years in a row) and 401K matching. And hiring. No new hires unless it is a critical job function.

Working from home, full pay

have not heard anything about pay cuts/furloughs, but since I’m not in the office I don’t get to hear all of the typical gossip and chatter.  

have not heard anything but I know we were supposed to get merit increases this year and I’d be shocked if we still get them.  Also expect this to severely impact bonus, so while not directly impacted now I expect some long term impacts 

but given the situation I’ll be happy if they just keep putting the same amount of money in my checking account twice a month

wife took a part time teachers assistant job this year, she is getting full pay still for essentially doing nothing, so can’t complain there

Fewer hours, but still employed and work a job that won't allow me to work from home.

My company outlined 3 options today: 1) reduce to 4 days/week, receive 80% income (health benefits ok) for 120 days, 2) full furlough, no work, receive 60% pay including unemployment (balance made up by company, health benefits ok) for 60 days, 3) layoff, some severence.

Do you choose or do they?

Do you choose or do they?
They choose. Likely by entire division.

I have heard rumors that the layoffs will be focused on the non-American workers, most of which are Chinese.  My division (R&D Engineering) has been cut and cut and cut over the last 2 years.  I bet the payroll spend in the US in my division is about 30% lower now than is was 3 years ago.  There are so many empty seats now and the projects are skeleton teams.  Combination of attrition and no backfill combined with layoffs and early retirements.

I work from home but the work is "drying up"

Doubtful I stop working but we are very limited on the work we can currently do
This is where I am - I am an attorney supporting a financial services company that basically functions as a lender/bank. We were told by our parent company in Germany no more new deals where cash goes out the door which means not much is getting done in the business, which means I'm running out of things to do. We'll survive as an important part of a international conglomerate, and things will go back to normal at some point, but it does make me a bit concerned.

Gl, Z.

I assume the 4 days option is what you're hoping for?
I dunno.  It's kind of a trap.  The company isn't going to relax the deliverables demand much, so it feels like I'll just get paid less for the same work output.

At least with the full furlough, I can shut down my computer and do other stuff for 90 days, not having to worry about deliverables and my program going to crap.

Users who are viewing this thread