What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

7th Annual FFA Chess Tournament- Congratulations to Jagov and joffer, co-champions! (1 Viewer)

Round 6

@joffer vs @Juxtatarot

@Jagov vs timschochet 

@scoobus vs @sfflchamp

@Zow vs @kutta

@UniAlias vs @Ned

@AAABatteries vs @Freak Show

@ragincajun vs @Nick Vermeil

@fatguyinalittlecoat vs @Psychopav

@shuke vs @shader

Last round for all the marbles! Good luck gentlemen! 
Hey Tim, quick question:  if I have 1.5 points and ragin has 1, why aren't I playing @Nick Vermeil?  No big deal, but I would have thought that ragin vs. shuke and fatguy vs. shader could have worked.

Nothing like the guy at the bottom of the consolation bracket causing trouble, eh? ;)   Nick, I will probably go ahead and challenge you to an informal WINNER TAKES ALL game after the last round ends. :popcorn:  

Hey Tim, quick question:  if I have 1.5 points and ragin has 1, why aren't I playing @Nick Vermeil?  No big deal, but I would have thought that ragin vs. shuke and fatguy vs. shader could have worked.

Nothing like the guy at the bottom of the consolation bracket causing trouble, eh? ;)   Nick, I will probably go ahead and challenge you to an informal WINNER TAKES ALL game after the last round ends. :popcorn:  
Fair question. 

I had to make certain matchups to avoid some players playing each other twice. Also when there is an uneven number of people with the same amount of points. So I start from the top and work my way down. 

@Jagov destroyed me in the opening. I made some unwise moves, he attacked right away, and I was unprepared. It was like a first round knockout in boxing. He was great, I was lousy. 

With the win, Jagov ends up with 5.5 points out of 6, one of the all time best scores in the history of this tournament and at least a share of 1st place depending on whether or not @joffer wins. So congrats to Jagov! Well done. Jagov I’m challenging you to a rematch just for fun to see if I can play a better game against you. 

Thanks Tim! In hind sight, e6 would indeed have been better. d5 turned out to be the key square in our game.

Clearly @Psychopav is scared of me.

@kutta and I also underway. He's not following the youtube videos I've watched recently so I'm probably in trouble. 

@kutta and I also underway. He's not following the youtube videos I've watched recently so I'm probably in trouble. 
There's a long way to go mi amigo! Give me a few hours and I'll be on my whiskey horse.

Uni and I are underway.  @UniAlias apologies in advanced for my scattered play.  I'm insanely busy - trying to get moves in while I can.  

Lol at me finishing with more points than Tim when he clearly outclasses me, luck of the pairings I guess.

Lol at me finishing with more points than Tim when he clearly outclasses me, luck of the pairings I guess.
Winning 4 games against this competition is not luck. You earned your score, well done.

Meanwhile, I attacked @Jagov and attacked and attacked and ended up with a draw. He just kept coming up with the best possible defense. It was a great game though I will post it here. 

I can only assume @kutta is drowning in whisky. 

What is unfair is that my whisky consumption starts tomorrow. I've held my own sober in a relatively defensive match. I'm only assuming kutta is biding his time until I start making alcohol-induced blunders!

Winning 4 games against this competition is not luck. You earned your score, well done.

Meanwhile, I attacked @Jagov and attacked and attacked and ended up with a draw. He just kept coming up with the best possible defense. It was a great game though I will post it here. 
It was indeed a good game @timschochet. Your rook sacrifice had me on the ropes in the end!

I can only assume @kutta is drowning in whisky. 

What is unfair is that my whisky consumption starts tomorrow. I've held my own sober in a relatively defensive match. I'm only assuming kutta is biding his time until I start making alcohol-induced blunders!
That’s the plan! Drink up!

It was indeed a good game @timschochet. Your rook sacrifice had me on the ropes in the end!
Here it is: 

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]
[Site "ChessTime"]
[Date "2020.05.20"]
[Round "1"]
[White "timschochet"]
[Black "Jagov"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1. d4 Nf6
2. Nf3 e6
3. e3 Be7
4. Bd3 d5
5. Ne5 O-O
6. Nd2 b6
7. f4 Bb7
8. Qf3 c5
9. c3 Qc7
10. O-O Nbd7
11. g4 g6
12. a3 a6
13. Rf2 b5
14. g5 Nxe5
15. fxe5 Ne8
16. h4 Ng7
17. Nf1 c4
18. Bc2 a5
19. Nh2 Nf5
20. Qh3 b4
21. Bd2 b3
22. Bb1 Bc6
23. Ng4 h5
24. Bxf5 exf5
25. Nf6+ Bxf6
26. gxf6 Qc8
27. e4 f4
28. Qh2 f3
29. Rxf3 dxe4
30. Rg3 Rd8
31. Bh6 e3
32. Rg5 e2
33. Qg3 Kh7
34. Bg7 Rg8
35. Qe3 Rxg7
36. fxg7 Qe6
37. Qxe2 f6
38. Rxh5+ gxh5
39. Qxh5+ Kxg7
40. Kh2 Rg8
41. Rf1 f5
42. Rxf5 Be8
43. Qg5+ Kh7
44. Rf6 Rxg5
45. Rxe6 Rg8
46. d5 Rf8
47. Re7+ Kg6
48. Kg3 Kf5
49. d6 Rg8+
50. Kf2 Bc6
51. d7 Rd8
52. e6 a4
53. Ke3 Kf6
54. Re8 Rxe8
55. dxe8=Q Bxe8
56. Kd4 Kxe6
57. Kxc4 Ke5
58. Kd3 Kf4
59. Kd2 1/2-1/2

There’s a lot to analyze here. The rook sacrifice @Jagov refers to takes place on move 38. I have two key questions that I can’t solve for anyone who wants to look into this: 

1. Prior to the chain of moves that led to the rook sac at move 38, is there other tactics I could have used to force a win? Did I blow it? 

2. After the rook sac, could I have forced a win? Was I too eager to trade queens? What would have been better? 

appreciate the input. 

@timschochet I have some time tomorrow and I'll put that game back on the board to look into some stuff. I had the feeling that you were ahead before the Rook sac. Even after that you pressured the hell out of my position. TBC

Jagov said:
@timschochet I have some time tomorrow and I'll put that game back on the board to look into some stuff. I had the feeling that you were ahead before the Rook sac. Even after that you pressured the hell out of my position. TBC
yeah i might check that out later.  interesting game.

Here it is: 

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]
[Site "ChessTime"]
[Date "2020.05.20"]
[Round "1"]
[White "timschochet"]
[Black "Jagov"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1. d4 Nf6
2. Nf3 e6
3. e3 Be7
4. Bd3 d5
5. Ne5 O-O
6. Nd2 b6
7. f4 Bb7
8. Qf3 c5
9. c3 Qc7
10. O-O Nbd7
11. g4 g6
12. a3 a6
13. Rf2 b5
14. g5 Nxe5
15. fxe5 Ne8
16. h4 Ng7
17. Nf1 c4
18. Bc2 a5
19. Nh2 Nf5
20. Qh3 b4
21. Bd2 b3
22. Bb1 Bc6
23. Ng4 h5
24. Bxf5 exf5
25. Nf6+ Bxf6
26. gxf6 Qc8
27. e4 f4
28. Qh2 f3
29. Rxf3 dxe4
30. Rg3 Rd8
31. Bh6 e3
32. Rg5 e2
33. Qg3 Kh7
34. Bg7 Rg8
35. Qe3 Rxg7
36. fxg7 Qe6
37. Qxe2 f6
38. Rxh5+ gxh5
39. Qxh5+ Kxg7
40. Kh2 Rg8
41. Rf1 f5
42. Rxf5 Be8
43. Qg5+ Kh7
44. Rf6 Rxg5
45. Rxe6 Rg8
46. d5 Rf8
47. Re7+ Kg6
48. Kg3 Kf5
49. d6 Rg8+
50. Kf2 Bc6
51. d7 Rd8
52. e6 a4
53. Ke3 Kf6
54. Re8 Rxe8
55. dxe8=Q Bxe8
56. Kd4 Kxe6
57. Kxc4 Ke5
58. Kd3 Kf4
59. Kd2 1/2-1/2

There’s a lot to analyze here. The rook sacrifice @Jagov refers to takes place on move 38. I have two key questions that I can’t solve for anyone who wants to look into this: 

1. Prior to the chain of moves that led to the rook sac at move 38, is there other tactics I could have used to force a win? Did I blow it? 

2. After the rook sac, could I have forced a win? Was I too eager to trade queens? What would have been better? 

appreciate the input. 
Spent some time over the board today with my son. We re-played this up to the rook sac. Here are some comments ...

@timschochet 

On move 12 you played a3 ... What did you have in mind here? Were you prepping b4? Something else?

On move 24 you took my K with your B ... Capturing the h pawn en passant may have been better

Now the rook sac ... My son and I think it was bold but too risky. It would have been better to retreat to g3, get your other rook in the game (f file?) and keep building the pressure. 

It was also clear that I wasted moves by pushing pawns on the Q side. Creating space I was never able to make use of.

I'll play around with the post rook sac moves tomorrow. TBC

Spent some time over the board today with my son. We re-played this up to the rook sac. Here are some comments ...

@timschochet 

On move 12 you played a3 ... What did you have in mind here? Were you prepping b4? Something else?

On move 24 you took my K with your B ... Capturing the h pawn en passant may have been better

Now the rook sac ... My son and I think it was bold but too risky. It would have been better to retreat to g3, get your other rook in the game (f file?) and keep building the pressure. 

It was also clear that I wasted moves by pushing pawns on the Q side. Creating space I was never able to make use of.

I'll play around with the post rook sac moves tomorrow. TBC
1. Yeah to play b4. Really what I want to do in that situation is to play e4 which liberates my pieces. But in order to do that I need you to commit your c pawn. The purpose of b4 is to get you to play c4 and lock things up or to have you take it. Either way I can then play e4 without losing my queenside pawn structure (c3, d4). I didn’t proceed with b4 because of your Queen at c7: it makes the c3 square too vulnerable. 

2. Believe me I considered en passant on move 24. But you could have taken my h pawn with your knight and suddenly your attack might be better than mine. That freaked me out. Still you may be right. 

3. without the rook sac I just couldn’t see how to break through. And it also appeared to me that there would never be another opportunity. It just seemed to me that it was either that or take the draw. 

@kutta and I played to a draw. Just locked up the whole game. I’ve been trying to master the ruy opening and it seemed to play out nicely. He if course defended it bc he’s good but honestly I’m pretty proud to have locked it with no loose pieces for the game. 

@kutta and I played to a draw. Just locked up the whole game. I’ve been trying to master the ruy opening and it seemed to play out nicely. He if course defended it bc he’s good but honestly I’m pretty proud to have locked it with no loose pieces for the game. 
Great game - we just got to a standstill - wild game and well played!

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

Users who are viewing this thread