What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats Create a Coronavirus Committee w/Subpoena Power (1 Viewer)

President Trump's Responses

"It's witch hunt after witch hunt after witch hunt"..."And in the end it's the people doing the the witch hunt who are losing...and they've been losing by a lot.  And it's not any time for witch hunts."

"we want to fight for American lives, not waste time and build up my poll numbers, because that's all they've been doing, because everybody knows it's ridiculous"

I agree with everything the President says above and I don't even like him.  The Democrats may have just locked up my vote for Trump...I find that rather remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:
President Trump's Responses

"It's witch hunt after witch hunt after witch hunt"..."And in the end it's the people doing the the witch hunt who are losing...and they've been losing by a lot.  And it's not any time for witch hunts."

"we want to fight for American lives, not waste time and build up my poll numbers, because that's all they've been doing, because everybody knows it's ridiculous"

I agree with everything the President says above and I don't even like him.  The Democrats may have just locked up my vote for Trump...I find that rather remarkable.
Oversight is not a witch hunt.  Especially when in his signing statement the President declared his intentions to not follow the rules.

And if oversight locks up your vote...it was never in question.

10 pages in a week, 20 if sho and Tim get on a roll.
Personally I don’t think this is the right move.  Its too soon. Of course there’s going to be an investigation- there was one for 9/11, one for Pearl Harbor, one for every major event in American history. But you wait until the crisis is over. 

Second, it’s bad politics. Right now Trump is President and the crisis is ongoing. You can criticize him all you want after the fact and even during it on policy- but you don’t want to appear political while the crisis is still with us. 

An investigation is absolutely warranted.  This pandemic has exposed Trump (or highlighted again) incompetence in a naked way.

Doing it now?  Completely tone deaf.  

Personally I don’t think this is the right move.  Its too soon. Of course there’s going to be an investigation- there was one for 9/11, one for Pearl Harbor, one for every major event in American history. But you wait until the crisis is over. 

Second, it’s bad politics. Right now Trump is President and the crisis is ongoing. You can criticize him all you want after the fact and even during it on policy- but you don’t want to appear political while the crisis is still with us. 
Some nice objective reasoning here.

Great job Tim. 

Some nice objective reasoning here.

Great job Tim. 
Except he ignores what it’s about...as did others .  From the Fox article.

”Unlike the 9/11-style after-action committee to investigate missteps in the coronavirus response that Rep. Adam Schiff and others have proposed, Pelosi said this committee is designed to address the "here and now" -- specifically concerning the allocation of the historic amount of federal funds directed to economic recovery.”

I agree that an investigation as to what went wrong at all levels waits til after.  This quote appears that it's oversight...that which Trump vowed to avoid during signing the stimulus bill.  About oversight that is needed now over such functions.

It’s super obvious the medical and national security leadership needs to testify. In fact there was a request before social distancing got implemented while Congress was still meeting, and even though the team was appearing daily they couldn’t find the time to testify. The one day they did they got called from the Hill in the middle of testimony for an emergency meeting with Trump. 

never let a tragedy go to waste - always use it for political gain right ?

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus

did the GOP gather a committee to investigate Obama and did everyone talk about his incompetence in handling H1N1 ?

Agree, there is a time and a place.  now is not that time for distraction from the crisis situation we are in.

I have said a number of times the only way to lose this election is if the Dems blow it themselves, and they are trying dam hard.

Whoever is the third party or Green party candidate is this year they may get my vote.

Who imagines that the branch of government that just spent $2T on the problem and is constitutionally charged with overseeing incompetence in the Administrative Branch is going to be sitting this one out?  It's pretty weird that's the expectation among anyone.

An investigation is absolutely warranted.  This pandemic has exposed Trump (or highlighted again) incompetence in a naked way.

Doing it now?  Completely tone deaf.  
Agree completely. No clue what the Democrats are thinking here. 

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus

did the GOP gather a committee to investigate Obama and did everyone talk about his incompetence in handling H1N1 ?
A.  This committee is not investigating that.  Its oversight over things like the stimulus.  Seriously people...its in the articles.

B.  No, the GOP didn't need to because Obama and his administration acted competently the whole way through and didn't downplay things and lie to the American people.  You gave a range of one year...we hit over 6000 today...been a much shorter time period.  The comparison to H1N1 and Obama was bad when this thing was all a few weeks old...its even worse now when you see how bad this one is and still make such a comparison.  But as Saints point out...they did do it anyway.

Agree completely. No clue what the Democrats are thinking here. 
They are thinking he wrote this in the signing statement.

Again...this thing by Pelosi appears to be oversight into things like that...not a commission about the response overall.  As I quoted earlier from the Fox article and is paragraph 2 in the CNN article.

"The speaker told reporters on a conference call that the committee's immediate focus will be on "the here and now," not the Trump administration's initial response to the pandemic, though she said there will come a time when such a review will be appropriate."

Pelosi agrees its not appropriate to look at the whole thing now..as do I.  That is not what this committee is about.

yes

ETA:  Nevermind...SiD has this covered.  I'll just point out that creation of the committee here doesn't have the same motive or goal as what was created during N1H1.

They are thinking he wrote this in the signing statement.

Again...this thing by Pelosi appears to be oversight into things like that...not a commission about the response overall.  As I quoted earlier from the Fox article and is paragraph 2 in the CNN article.

"The speaker told reporters on a conference call that the committee's immediate focus will be on "the here and now," not the Trump administration's initial response to the pandemic, though she said there will come a time when such a review will be appropriate."

Pelosi agrees its not appropriate to look at the whole thing now..as do I.  That is not what this committee is about.
So if their not going to do anything now why bring it up?  Again Americans have greater concerns then the Dems social gathering/committee.  It’s shameful that they even bring it up.

Bad move by the democratics.  They should focus on the crisis instead of trying to point blame.  It will cost them votes come November .
How are they not focused on the crisis?  Also, again this committee is not about pointing blame...its about oversight which is badly needed.

So if their not going to do anything now why bring it up?  Again Americans have greater concerns then the Dems social gathering/committee.  It’s shameful that the even bring it up.
Why bring what up?  This committee was brought up as oversight...especially over $2 trillion going out...where Trump claimed he was not going to comply with the oversight requirements.  I think Americans have concerns over many things...including how the government is going to spend Trillions of dollars.  Oversight after the fact is useless...it has to be during.  

Anyone who thinks it's not important to proactively monitor $2 trillion of taxpayer money going out the door, well, first of all, I don't know what to tell you. But second of all, check out this article about what happened with the 2008 bailout (which was less than half as big as the one Congress passed last week).

With that much money at stake, grifters gonna grift. And maybe it's a good idea to not leave everything in the hands of a guy whose entire career has been one long grift. (But even if I thought Trump was clean as a whistle, I would still want oversight.)

I can't believe anyone is against oversight of this  crazy spending...even the Trumpsters
I think many didn't read all of the articles and assumed this committee was more along the lines of the 9/11 commission and what people are thinking will happen after in looking into the failures of our government.

I can't believe anyone is against oversight of this  crazy spending...even the Trumpsters
My understanding is that there was already a bi-partisan oversight committee in place for the CARES Act. This is on top of that in an effort to politicize things.

My understanding is that there was already a bi-partisan oversight committee in place for the CARES Act. This is on top of that in an effort to politicize things.
Except...it does not appear that oversight committee has any subpoena power that this one would.  Id agree with Pelosi that without subpoena power (not that the executive would abide by subpoenas anyway), without it though, the committee is pretty powerless or relies on people being up front and providing documentation.  I think the language in the signing statement is prompting this.

So the lady who was standing in San Francisco’s China town a month ago urging people to come visit is setting up a committee on slow responses?  :loco:  Makes sense.
You mean in February...when Trump was claiming it was all no big deal...just the flu, it will just magically go away?  Yea, you might want to rethink that slam if you are going to refuse to hold Trump accountable for anything.

BTW...she was wrong then too for encouraging such when she likely knew more than the rest of us.

Someone responded below but you can't have oversight by asking people politely...anyone knows this

Good.  This point in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is backing a Trump Truck up to the Smithsonian to steal valuable items to take back to The Tower for his personal enjoyment.  Got to keep him honest. 

to get the spending package through to help those in need...my understanding is they argued for oversight but were unsuccessful.
Ah, so all the frivolous things they were trying to pack into the bill weren't slowing things down? Good to know.

Ah, so all the frivolous things they were trying to pack into the bill weren't slowing things down? Good to know.
i find that confusing but...whatever.

The point is there should have been oversight, they wanted it but couldn't get it so they are trying a different way.  I can't believe you are comfortable with this type of money being spent with almost no oversight

This is really the only portion of the reply necessary. Not everything is about Trump.
It is when posters repeatedly defend all he has done and claim he has done a great job and turn around to criticize pelosi for something unrelated to this measure...so...yeah, it was necessary and sorry if it bothers you to point out the hypocrisy that some have.

i find that confusing but...whatever.
I'll clarify: If this was such a priority during negotiating the bill, they should have spent more time hammering out the details than trying to cram unrelated pork into it because they found it as a convenient way to leverage the plight of the American people to further their agenda (that had no chance of passing otherwise). Furthermore, any argument that they conceded this argument because they were in a rush to come to the aid of the American people is pretty much rendered moot by the above.

A.  This committee is not investigating that.  Its oversight over things like the stimulus.  Seriously people...its in the articles.

B.  No, the GOP didn't need to because Obama and his administration acted competently the whole way through and didn't downplay things and lie to the American people.  You gave a range of one year...we hit over 6000 today...been a much shorter time period.  The comparison to H1N1 and Obama was bad when this thing was all a few weeks old...its even worse now when you see how bad this one is and still make such a comparison.  But as Saints point out...they did do it anyway.
we'll see what this committee does -  and honestly, Obama and admin wouldn't have reacted any better or worse to covid-19 as they did H1N1

we'll see what this committee does -  and honestly, Obama and admin wouldn't have reacted any better or worse to covid-19 as they did H1N1
I think this is not just speculation but bogus speculation.  Obama would have kept the pandemic response team...Obama would not have ignored the playbook created for this or the transition exercise his administration created for the incoming Trump administration.  They reacted better tonH1N1 already and learned from that...so to say they would not have reacted better now seems illogical ...and to speculate they would not have done better than this administration which has been markedly worse than the H1N1 response is also illogical.

I think this is not just speculation but bogus speculation.  Obama would have kept the pandemic response team...Obama would not have ignored the playbook created for this or the transition exercise his administration created for the incoming Trump administration.  They reacted better tonH1N1 already and learned from that...so to say they would not have reacted better now seems illogical ...and to speculate they would not have done better than this administration which has been markedly worse than the H1N1 response is also illogical.
when they can't defend they just say 'hillary' or 'obama' !

Users who are viewing this thread