Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RnR

WIS: Quarantine Edition?

I just got an email from WIS offering one free season with the promo code: FREESIM1

Is that a sign that we should get the gang back together while we're all at home?

• Love 1

Could we ban Cardinal fans?  They're pretty insufferable, am I right or what?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

@Doug B get out of the COVID thread and get your spreadsheets built.

@Koya SimLiveBong time! (without SimLive ... RIP)

@Eephus step away from OOTP long enough to commish this. TIA.

@larry_boy_44 I sent a trade offer via PM

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jfranco77 said:

I'd be down.

See link.

EDIT: Yes, I'm in.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 3

@the moops Please leave the COVID thread and report for duty here. TIA

@belljr You need something to do while hiding from your wife.

@Notorious T.R.E. :stomachpunch:

@Kraft... put down the blaster boxes long enough to participate with us.

5 minutes ago, RnR said:

@Pumpnick what is a @Pampernick?

@Greco Plenty of Tigers available

@Frostillicus Plenty of Twins available

@Bogart Plenty of MILFs Rangers available

@Doctor Detroit Are you banned? @FishTacoTuesday?

@oso diablo where you at, bro?

@rodg12 you'll do this, right?

@Hoos First @Arsenal of Doom @Brady Marino

Yeah, let's do this.

• Like 1

I'm in.  Hell, I'm in for two concurrent drafts lol 

• Like 2

so when do we battle out what the parameters of the draft will be?

Potential idea of drafting from the following quarantine years:

• 'Typhoid Mary' (US), 1907-1910 and 1915-1938
  • East Samoa, 1918 (Flu pandemic)
  • Gruinard Island, 1942-1990 (Anthrax)
  • Apollo series space explorers, 1969-1971
  • Yugoslavia, 1972 (Smallpox)
  • Case of Kaci Hickox' return to US, 2014 (Ebola)

Granted Gruinard Island makes this less than fun

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Potential idea of drafting from the following quarantine years:

• 'Typhoid Mary' (US), 1907-1910 and 1915-1938
  • East Samoa, 1918 (Flu pandemic)
  • Gruinard Island, 1942-1990 (Anthrax)
  • Apollo series space explorers, 1969-1971
  • Yugoslavia, 1972 (Smallpox)
  • Case of Kaci Hickox' return to US, 2014 (Ebola)

Granted Gruinard Island makes this less than fun

I actually like that Gruinard Island era by itself, just from a WIS standpoint. Throws out the steroid and deadball eras and a lot of the huge outlier seasons (Ruth, Bonds, 400 IP starters) but leaves us with a nice big player pool from some of the best years of baseball history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Don't make me keep searching the old WIS drafts. I'll find all of you.

• Love 1

In.

THE CHAMP IS BACK. (I'll now roll to a nice 71-91 record)

Some outside-the-box options:

- Post 1998 division era  (Brewers moved to NL) - somehow randomize so we can only draft seasons from a couple divisions?  Like you get AL East and NL West and someone else has AL Central and NL East, etc?  Again, no dupe players so all draft together and give each team 2 (3? not sure how the math works yet) divisions.  

- DICE ROLL SEASONS AGAIN

- Draft a Team Roster by Season, 5-10 rounds?  Then form your squad from the rosters on those teams.  Probs would need to allow dupes here. Could use minors for once.

- Draft only All-Star seasons - gets  rid of some cookies?

-12 teams can only draft odd years, 12 can only do even, but no dupe players so all in one draft.  Odd even determined by 1st rd draft spot

1 hour ago, Spartans Rule said:

I actually like that Gruinard Island era by itself, just from a WIS standpoint. Throws out the steroid and deadball eras and a lot of the huge outlier seasons (Ruth, Bonds, 400 IP starters) but leaves us with a nice big player pool from some of the best years of baseball history.

I'm already thinking of a few nice cookies along the way. 

Probably depends on theme for me. I don’t care what you guys do, I’m just not that interested in digging through which guys hit .430 before gloves were invented. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Notorious T.R.E. said:

- Post 1998 division era  (Brewers moved to NL) - somehow randomize so we can only draft seasons from a couple divisions?  Like you get AL East and NL West and someone else has AL Central and NL East, etc?  Again, no dupe players so all draft together and give each team 2 (3? not sure how the math works yet) divisions.  

- DICE ROLL SEASONS AGAIN

- Draft a Team Roster by Season, 5-10 rounds?  Then form your squad from the rosters on those teams.  Probs would need to allow dupes here. Could use minors for once.

-12 teams can only draft odd years, 12 can only do even, but no dupe players so all in one draft.  Odd even determined by 1st rd draft spot

All stars since ‘98 (including dupes) would be almost the exact amount of players we need and maybe pretty interesting to see who got stuck with brutal 2nd halfs in the late rounds. 

• Thanks 1

Since the season will be short, lets go back to the last short season, the strike in 1994. Would give us 25 years to choose from.

Commissioner @Eephus has lots of options on the table. Can’t wait to see which idea he decides on

• Love 1

not like i have kids or anything.....may as well

Posted (edited)

How about the period between the 1977 and 1993 expansions?  The Carter/Reagan/Bush League.  It's old but not too old.  Everyone should be able to draft adequate SP innings and bullpen usage is relatively modern.  There's also pretty low variation in runs per game during the era.  Both leagues are in the 3.9-4.9 R/G range in all seasons so normalization shouldn't be a major factor.  Some actual NL seasons even had more SB/G than HR/G.  

1980 George Brett is the only huge statistical outlier but he's limited to 515 PAs so he's not a slam dunk 1.01.  There are a bunch of great SP seasons available and 1990 Eckersley in the pen.  The 1981 strike season is a problem because WIS projects the partial season out to 162 games.  The easiest remedy would be to blacklist that season so the period would be 1977-1980 and 1982-1992.  Or maybe that's too much bother.

We've probably done this era before but there are only so many options and this seems as good as any.  The fact that it covers the era between my freshman year of college and my first child is immaterial.

ETA:  Leave 1981 in. 

Edited by Eephus

16 hours ago, Notorious T.R.E. said:

"All-Star seasons only" is an especially strong idea. Stick with after the advent of the All-Star Game (1933) and you take care of a lot of the deadball issues.

The odds-evens ain't bad, either. Would be an interesting twist.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

How about the period between the 1977 and 1993 expansions? 

Down for this, too. Not too picky.

Posted (edited)

The "All-Star seasons only" idea sounds fun... would there be a big enough draft pool for this without duplicates?

I also like Eephus' time period. We did the "Cocaine and Greenies" draft that overlapped many of those seasons, but that was like WIS IV or something. A long time ago.

Edited by RnR

You have to jump through hoops to get to the draft center now <_<  :getoffmylawn: 

Just now, Kraft... said:

You have to jump through hoops to get to the draft center now <_<  :getoffmylawn: 

For real? :sadbanana:

Posted (edited)

All Star seasons is interesting.  The historical period would be 1933-2019 excluding 1945 and some doubling up in the early 60s.  Most of the RPs would from the 21st century and the usual small sample cookies would be on the outside.  Maybe that's the point. 

Other than that, I don't see the All-Star requirement removing many top batting seasons.  2000 Darin Erstad in #47 ranked by total salary in a 1933-2019 hitter pool but only moves up one place to #46 when the All-Star filter is added.

ETA:  I see a similar lack of impact at the top of the SP pool.  1943 Spud Chandler is #48 ranked among all pitchers but #44 among All-Stars.

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 1

whatifsports.com is now blocked on my work Wi-Fi. Don't they understand what essential is?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bogart said:

whatifsports.com is now blocked on my work Wi-Fi. Don't they understand what essential is?

The draft can be totally off-line, though you'd probably want a spreadsheet to draft from.

Gold Glove filter for hitters might be interesting but there's no comparable filter for pitchers.

If people want a broader historical pool, we would use the same 1933-2019 All Star game period but do the opposite using the "no award" filter.  This removes a lot of the seasons we've used before.  There are only a handful of eligible seasons with salaries over $10M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, scoobus said:

BTTF era, no dupes.

:ph34r:

I like the way Snrub thinks.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Gold Glove filter for hitters might be interesting but there's no comparable filter for pitchers.

If people want a broader historical pool, we would use the same 1933-2019 All Star game period but do the opposite using the "no award" filter.  This removes a lot of the seasons we've used before.  There are only a handful of eligible seasons with salaries over $10M.

Favorite idea in this thread yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Eephus said:

How about the period between the 1977 and 1993 expansions?  The Carter/Reagan/Bush League.  It's old but not too old.  Everyone should be able to draft adequate SP innings and bullpen usage is relatively modern.  There's also pretty low variation in runs per game during the era.  Both leagues are in the 3.9-4.9 R/G range in all seasons so normalization shouldn't be a major factor.  Some actual NL seasons even had more SB/G than HR/G.  

1980 George Brett is the only huge statistical outlier but he's limited to 515 PAs so he's not a slam dunk 1.01.  There are a bunch of great SP seasons available and 1990 Eckersley in the pen.  The 1981 strike season is a problem because WIS projects the partial season out to 162 games.  The easiest remedy would be to blacklist that season so the period would be 1977-1980 and 1982-1992.  Or maybe that's too much bother.

We've probably done this era before but there are only so many options and this seems as good as any.  The fact that it covers the era between my freshman year of college and my first child is immaterial.

ETA:  Leave 1981 in. 

What if we incorporated a modified dice roll to this era? Like pick 3 seasons and see what you get? That'd eliminate cookie chasing, but also create a certain risk/reward element to some of those guys with one or two really good years vs. a steady performer.

Edited by RnR

1 hour ago, RnR said:

What if we incorporated a modified dice roll to this era? Like pick 3 seasons and see what you get? That'd eliminate cookie chasing, but also create a certain risk/reward element to some of those guys with one or two really good years vs. a steady performer.

More dice is always good if people are willing to make the commitment.  One thing we could do is do one communal dice roll at the end of each round so if a two was rolled, everyone would get the second best season for the player they drafted that round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's do it, eephus make the call man, I'm good with whatever.