What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Egg smell coming from hot water tap (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
So my tenant told me the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink have an egg smell coming from the faucets when they use the hot water.  They ran hot water into a towel to make sure the smell was coming from the tap and not the drain.  Confirmed it is the faucet.  

Thing is, they say the shower water does not have an egg smell, nor does the faucet in the other bathroom.

So upstairs bathroom has egg smell in sink faucet but not shower.  Downstairs has egg smell in kitchen faucet but not bathroom faucet.

The hot water tank is new and was put in a couple months ago.  Would it be the anode rod, and if so why would it only smell in half the faucets?

Sulfur-producing bacteria do that.

When we were on a well, we had this and had to shock the well with bleach. I don't know if it can get and colonize the hot water heater, or individual pipes, though. 

So my tenant told me the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink have an egg smell coming from the faucets when they use the hot water.  They ran hot water into a towel to make sure the smell was coming from the tap and not the drain.  Confirmed it is the faucet.  

Thing is, they say the shower water does not have an egg smell, nor does the faucet in the other bathroom.

So upstairs bathroom has egg smell in sink faucet but not shower.  Downstairs has egg smell in kitchen faucet but not bathroom faucet.

The hot water tank is new and was put in a couple months ago.  Would it be the anode rod, and if so why would it only smell in half the faucets?
 the city replace water pipes recently?

i have a master plumber as a best friend... txt'd him... response will be here soon @ghostguy123

eta: he's super slow... shouldve added that "soon" is probably inaccurate

Last edited by a moderator:
I just need to figure out why it's only hot water and only 2 out of 4 faucets.

Granted, this is what they tell me.  I havent been there yet.  He is generally reliable with these sort of observations though.
First thing I would do is run the water for 10-15 minutes

I am guessing it something a lot simpler maybe just your drain trap is clogged up with junk. Do the simple fix first which is with baking soda and I think vinegar. You can do a YouTube for it. I’ve had this happen before and just cleaned it up no problem by doing this. 

I am guessing it something a lot simpler maybe just your drain trap is clogged up with junk. Do the simple fix first which is with baking soda and I think vinegar. You can do a YouTube for it. I’ve had this happen before and just cleaned it up no problem by doing this. 
The guy mentioned he ran the hot water into a towel, towel smelled like eggs.  If that is the case then it's the water, not the drain

Hmmm not common.  Did they sodder at all?

Anyway....I'd run those taps for a while see if the smell goes away
Well, they have been living there this whole time with no smell, and they have run the water for a couple months with no smells.  Now a smell

Sulfur in hot water tank.  Microbes grow in the hot water.  Good news is that it is harmless, bad news is that you smell rotten eggs while showering.  Bleach the back out of the hot water tank, drain and refill.  Run water until chlorine smell goes away.  If it returns then go to next troubleshooting option. Rinse and repeat.  Good luck.

Sulfur in hot water tank.  Microbes grow in the hot water.  Good news is that it is harmless, bad news is that you smell rotten eggs while showering.  Bleach the back out of the hot water tank, drain and refill.  Run water until chlorine smell goes away.  If it returns then go to next troubleshooting option. Rinse and repeat.  Good luck.
No smell in the shower.   2 month old tank.

said it's gotta be sulfur in the water supply. not the anode, as ALL taps would have the scent. 

he doesnt buy it's just from one tap tho, it's basically not possible, aaid it'd be the drain in that case

When that happens in my camper it’s because of bacteria in the hot water heater (drain and rinse it out in my camper as it does not have an anode rod).  It’s not harmful but it defiantly stinks until you fix it.  

When that happens in my camper it’s because of bacteria in the hot water heater (drain and rinse it out in my camper as it does not have an anode rod).  It’s not harmful but it defiantly stinks until you fix it.  
yup. confirmed by a master plumber. chemical imblance/sulfur in the water heater. and he is 100% sure all the taps have the scent

he said odds are the smell coming strongest from one tap because it's closest to the tank

Eta: he said do NOT use bleach in your water supply

said it's gotta be sulfur in the water supply. not the anode, as ALL taps would have the scent. 

he doesnt buy it's just from one tap tho, it's basically not possible, aaid it'd be the drain in that case
I'm calling BS on this. If it's sulfur in the water supply all taps would have the scent because the cold water supply can branch off multiple times before it reaches the water heater.

yup. confirmed by a master plumber. chemical imblance/sulfur in the water heater. and he is 100% sure all the taps have the scent

he said odds are the smell coming strongest from one tap because it's closest to the tank
I see he changed his mind. :lol:

Water supply??  So the other units would also have smelly water?
he's terrible at txting. Im gonna c/p below his responses

If he needed an anode it would smell in all

If hes getting it from one hes getting  it from all and it's a chemical imbalance in the hot water tank 

Reason hes getting it strongest from 1 is most likely the closest sink to the water heater 

Please do not pour bleach into your water supply

Eta: asked him what you should do. Gonna wait another 20mins for the response

Users who are viewing this thread