What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mail-in Voting (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
My state has this and I love it. Seems to me to be far superior to in-person voting. No lines, get to do it on my time. Really had never given this much thought.

Figured this was a non-partisan thing and other states weren't doing this because of costs.

Apparently people can't agree on this.

What say you?

I love it and I think it should be the norm everywhere.

I do think that it has a higher risk of voter fraud than in-person voting, but that's only because in-person fraud is infinitesimally small. The risk is more than worth it.

The General said:
My state has this and I love it. Seems to me to be far superior to in-person voting. No lines, get to do it on my time. Really had never given this much thought.

Figured this was a non-partisan thing and other states weren't doing this because of costs.

Apparently people can't agree on this.

What say you?
It’s definitely partisan. In my state, for whatever reason, the Republican Party has decided its interests are best served by making it as hard as possible for people to vote.  They fought extremely hard to keep a key judicial election on the calendar today, suppressing all reasonable alternatives including extended times for absentee (mail) ballots, despite uncontested evidence that over 10,000 voters who requested a mail ballot prior to the deadline would not receive their ballots in time to send them in.  In my city, where we normally have over 100 polling places, only 7 were open today due to a dearth of volunteers and other factors.  Accordingly, 10s of thousands of us ventured out despite a stay at home order to gather at these 7 polling places, swap germs, and vote.  In my state, any effort to make voting easier is branded a means of voter fraud and will never happen so long as that party has control of the state legislature. 

It’s definitely partisan. In my state, for whatever reason, the Republican Party has decided its interests are best served by making it as hard as possible for people to vote.  They fought extremely hard to keep a key judicial election on the calendar today, suppressing all reasonable alternatives including extended times for absentee (mail) ballots, despite uncontested evidence that over 10,000 voters who requested a mail ballot prior to the deadline would not receive their ballots in time to send them in.  In my city, where we normally have over 100 polling places, only 7 were open today due to a dearth of volunteers and other factors.  Accordingly, 10s of thousands of us ventured out despite a stay at home order to gather at these 7 polling places, swap germs, and vote.  In my state, any effort to make voting easier is branded a means of voter fraud and will never happen so long as that party has control of the state legislature. 

That all sounds terrible.

Makes zero sense why we don't all have this option other than people want to keep voting down. I'd like to hear a compelling argument to this.

I see these lines in the rain, in the dark, hour long every November all around the country and just shake my head.

But did you get a sticker?

So we can complete the census online, submit our taxes online but for some reason we can’t vote online in 2020....but guess I will settle for mail in votes 

There has to be someone against this (besides Trump who was ranting about mail-in voting today)?
He’s got a point though. 

President Trump: "I think mail-in voting is horrible, it's corrupt."

Reporter: "You voted by mail in Florida's election last month, didn't you?"

Trump: "Sure. I can vote by mail"

Reporter: "How do you reconcile with that?"

Trump: "Because I'm allowed to."

There has to be someone against this (besides Trump who was ranting about mail-in voting today)?
He’s got a point though. 

President Trump: "I think mail-in voting is horrible, it's corrupt."

Reporter: "You voted by mail in Florida's election last month, didn't you?"

Trump: "Sure. I can vote by mail"

Reporter: "How do you reconcile with that?"

Trump: "Because I'm allowed t
I was watching today. The woman nailed him with this. He also mumbled something about he’s too busy to vote so this is a good option for him. Smh

So we can complete the census online, submit our taxes online but for some reason we can’t vote online in 2020....but guess I will settle for mail in votes 
Anyone who is against voting online or by mail should read this post.

I don't have a problem voting by mail, I guess.  But I've never done it, and I would prefer not to do it.  Same reason I don't send cash by mail, I guess.  I don't 100% trust that it'll get there. I like the good old fashion feel of going to my voting precinct. Makes me feel good. 

But maybe I just don't know enough about it.  Maybe there is some sort of confirmation mechanism in place. 

I would hate to be the person who has to open all the mail if the virus is still going on in November. 

Otherwise I'm in favor

Also, for what it's worth: 

It will make it a TON easier for college kids to vote (or, really, their parents to do it for them like they do everything for them :daily-snark:).  So. there's that. . . . . 

I would hate to be the person who has to open all the mail if the virus is still going on in November. 

Otherwise I'm in favor
One person opening letters in a protected environment, vs. a gajillion people standing together coughing on the poll workers.  If I was a poll worker, I'd probably choose opening mail than dealing with the unwashed masses. 

I don't have a problem voting by mail, I guess.  But I've never done it, and I would prefer not to do it.  Same reason I don't send cash by mail, I guess.  I don't 100% trust that it'll get there. I like the good old fashion feel of going to my voting precinct. Makes me feel good. 

But maybe I just don't know enough about it.  Maybe there is some sort of confirmation mechanism in place. 
I can understand that but mail-in voting would people an alternative for situations like if you don't drive and they move your polling place a mile away from any bus stop. Or if they're prone to using only a few voting machines when more are available so the line to vote stretches for blocks.

Just something to make it easier for all to vote who may otherwise have hardships.

One person opening letters in a protected environment, vs. a gajillion people standing together coughing on the poll workers.  If I was a poll worker, I'd probably choose opening mail than dealing with the unwashed masses. 
Yes I agree. That's why I said "otherwise I'm in favor"

I just hope they take proper precautions for the people opening the letters.

I haven't seen any good reason not to.  Trump seems to be very worried about winning if it's allowed though.
Seems strange he is against it since according to him, his popularly is really around 80% if not for the fake news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you imagine the voter turnout if everyone was allowed to vote by mail or online?  It would easily set records.
Assuming normal voting procedures, this November is going to set a record for turnout anyway. But I support mail voting as a general principle (along with a host of other voting/election reforms).

All states are different.  Once I vote, I can go to a web page and verify.  What is your verification today?  Curious.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

1h

Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to state wide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it. Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans.

@foxandfriends

The only reason people oppose this is because its bad for the GOP when more people vote. That's it. 

Hell, Trump and others are even admitting that.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

1h

Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to state wide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it. Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans.

@foxandfriends
Doesn't work out well for Republicans when more actual people vote...that pretty much sums up this country and the corruption and rot that has taken over.

It's even more amazing to see the Trump supporter and republicans step in and twist themselves in pretzels trying to defend these things.  All the freedoms our fathers and grandfathers fought for gone because of them...

So everyone loves it. There are no compelling arguments against.

How are we not doing this or making it happen everywhere?

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

1h

@foxandfriends
Yes...whatever reason allowing people to actually exercise their right to vote doesn't work well for those trying to suppress it...this statement is again all you need to know about the GOP stance on this.

Complain about the non-existent problem (statistically) in voter fraud...the openly admit at the end that the reason is because it doesn't go well for Republicans when more people vote.

Because of the control the GOP has in many places?
So here’s what the Dems should do. This is a key topic they bring up over and over again.

You say we all should vote like the troops, it’s important to our democracy, Hard working Americans deserve this. 

There is no downside.

So here’s what the Dems should do. This is a key topic they bring up over and over again.

You say we all should vote like the troops, it’s important to our democracy, Hard working Americans deserve this. 

There is no downside.
I agree...two big things democrats should push out of this...where I see no downside or way to even argue against it is mail in voting and bettering mental health care.   The latter being very important coming out of this type of situation.

All states are different.  Once I vote, I can go to a web page and verify.  What is your verification today?  Curious.
None really.  Staying with the mail example - I hand a person my cash, at least I know that I gave it to a real person.  Whether or not someone stole it between the guy I handed it to and the ultimate intended party . . . it could happen.

I'd be satisfied with receiving some sort of confirmation via mail or email that my vote was recorded. 

None really.  Staying with the mail example - I hand a person my cash, at least I know that I gave it to a real person.  Whether or not someone stole it between the guy I handed it to and the ultimate intended party . . . it could happen.

I'd be satisfied with receiving some sort of confirmation via mail or email that my vote was recorded. 
How it works in Colorado. First you get a card saying you are registered to vote in the upcoming election and to expect your ballot in the next few days.  Then you get your ballot. Then after you vote you get a text or email saying they got your ballot.  I'm pretty sure they also include a link to a website where you check as well.

You'd think with all the advancements we've made in our country we would be able to have a better voting system in place.

Yeah, I get the example....and I agree.  If I think about it, even going in person didn't ever get me the validation that my vote was counted.  I'd go punch everything in the computer....no idea if it actually made it to the central database to be counted.  FWIW, I don't send cash in the mail either :hifive:  

Users who are viewing this thread