What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Easter Menu (1 Viewer)

Klimtology

Footballguy
Hey,

What's everyone having for Easter? I've got some lamb chops and fingerling potatoes so far...

Any other suggestions?

:excited:

TIA

Was able to get a ham while out for some things Sunday...had to gear up and go inside as our pickup order was not going to have some things we actually needed.

So we will do our traditional grilled ham, likely green beans because I have an ok stock of frozen green beans, and my mom's scalloped potato recipe that I always try to make around Easter.

Probably just gonna buy a small ham and then make my moms cheesy potato’s and some fresh green beans.  And rolls

missing from traditional will be green been casserole, kielbasa/kraut, some western beans thing my mom makes with a bunch of beans and ground beef.  Oh and deviled eggs.  Maybe I’ll make one for myself :lol:

Was able to get a ham while out for some things Sunday...had to gear up and go inside as our pickup order was not going to have some things we actually needed.

So we will do our traditional grilled ham, likely green beans because I have an ok stock of frozen green beans, and my mom's scalloped potato recipe that I always try to make around Easter.
Would you mind posting your Mom's scalloped potato recipe?

Would you mind posting your Mom's scalloped potato recipe?
Sure...I will dig it out...cool thing she gave me when my wife and I got married were all of the recipes she knew I loved...she wrote them on index cards and put them in one of those books meant for pictures with the slide in sleeves..(you know, old timey pictures that actually got developed from film :)  )

2-3 tablespoons of butter or margarine

2-3 cups milk (sometimes use half and half to get a little more creaminess to it)

2-4 tablespoons flour

6 cups sliced potatoes (not sure I ever actually measure...just slice enough that I think will fit into a 9/13 or 8/8 dish depending on who is coming here (this year will be on the lower side of the measurements as its just my wife and I that eat the potatoes).

Melt the butter or margarine in a large kettle/pot...stir in the flour to make the roux...getting it a nice tan/brown...

Slowly stir in the milk/cream and then I salt and pepper this mixture (another where I have never measured how much I season...just by feel at this point).

Bring that to a boil on med heat and lower a little til it thickens a bit.

Stir in potatoes to coat them with the mixture and heat til it boils again.

Pour those into a greased baking dish.  Option here is melting a little more butter and drizzling over the top of it.

Bake at 350* for an hour to an hour and a half until potatoes are tender and the liquid is bubbling and browning.

there is a local bakery that is doing a special.  turkey/ham ,dressing, potato casserole, bean casserole , rolls, cake.  feeds a family of 4.  100 bucks.  thats what we are doing
Thats cool...Im sure a lot of restaurants and places are being creative to try and make a little money these days.

I know several here that have done take home meal kits...and are selling other things not on their menu (whole chickens, gallons of milk and so on).  So you can pick up a food order and then a few other supplies to keep from going to stores.

Thats cool...Im sure a lot of restaurants and places are being creative to try and make a little money these days.

I know several here that have done take home meal kits...and are selling other things not on their menu (whole chickens, gallons of milk and so on).  So you can pick up a food order and then a few other supplies to keep from going to stores.
yeah we usually cook.  but these guys make great stuff and i figured it would help them out.  business has got to be down

Sure...I will dig it out...cool thing she gave me when my wife and I got married were all of the recipes she knew I loved...she wrote them on index cards and put them in one of those books meant for pictures with the slide in sleeves..(you know, old timey pictures that actually got developed from film :)  )

2-3 tablespoons of butter or margarine

2-3 cups milk (sometimes use half and half to get a little more creaminess to it)

2-4 tablespoons flour

6 cups sliced potatoes (not sure I ever actually measure...just slice enough that I think will fit into a 9/13 or 8/8 dish depending on who is coming here (this year will be on the lower side of the measurements as its just my wife and I that eat the potatoes).

Melt the butter or margarine in a large kettle/pot...stir in the flour to make the roux...getting it a nice tan/brown...

Slowly stir in the milk/cream and then I salt and pepper this mixture (another where I have never measured how much I season...just by feel at this point).

Bring that to a boil on med heat and lower a little til it thickens a bit.

Stir in potatoes to coat them with the mixture and heat til it boils again.

Pour those into a greased baking dish.  Option here is melting a little more butter and drizzling over the top of it.

Bake at 350* for an hour to an hour and a half until potatoes are tender and the liquid is bubbling and browning.
Thanks!  And Happy Easter!

:thumbup:

Doing a Ham and some homemade Mac and Cheese.  Likely, a salad as well for the Parents.  Will just be the 5 of house (wife and I and three kids) but hoping to make it feel a bit normal.  Will also probably make some deviled eggs given dying eggs with kids the night before.  

Doing a Ham and some homemade Mac and Cheese.  Likely, a salad as well for the Parents.  Will just be the 5 of house (wife and I and three kids) but hoping to make it feel a bit normal.  Will also probably make some deviled eggs given dying eggs with kids the night before.  
While searching online for other art supplies at the beginning of this quarantine...I found some fake eggs at Target that are chalkboard painted and they came with a bunch of chalk so my kids will decorate these Friday...

Eggs are my precious food commodity...not wasting them on hard boiling and dying.

While searching online for other art supplies at the beginning of this quarantine...I found some fake eggs at Target that are chalkboard painted and they came with a bunch of chalk so my kids will decorate these Friday...

Eggs are my precious food commodity...not wasting them on hard boiling and dying.
We will still eat them if we hard boil them and dye them. We usually do. 

Ham, Hawaiian rolls, corn casserole, roasted red potatoes, salad - looking for a dessert idea.

no big family gathering... obviously

We discussed last night... and determined that we would pass on ham and I would do steaks, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese - some kind of vegtable  - appeasing to the masses who are growing weary of the daily 'Let's play quarantine"

no big family gathering... obviously

We discussed last night... and determined that we would pass on ham and I would do steaks, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese - some kind of vegtable  - appeasing to the masses who are growing weary of the daily 'Let's play quarantine"
This is close to what we're doing. I don't have a ham and am not going out to get one. It's just the wife and I and we are doing steaks as well. Probably some bacon wrapped scallops, Mac and cheese, some kind of beans, and maybe some zucchini. I made an Oreo cheesecake in my Instant Pot the other day so that will be dessert. 

trying to combine thanksgiving and easter menu. ham maybe turkey with stuffing mashed gravy maybe yams some other veggies, . good pigout session to be had
We're doing a ham and brussel sprouts with sweet potatoes and bacon. Then we're going to swap half with my GFs parents. They are doing turkey and cheesy potatoes. Then we're going to eat over House party. 

We are normally the epicenter of cooking and cascarones for Easter. But with the lockdown and us being empty nesters, we just bought a slice of ham, a few potatoes to mash and some rolls. It's all pretty anti-climatic this year. Almost just another day.

Super King said:
We're doing a ham and brussel sprouts with sweet potatoes and bacon. Then we're going to swap half with my GFs parents. They are doing turkey and cheesy potatoes. Then we're going to eat over House party. 
nice.. weve been using house party its a pretty good free app. doesn't work too well on a laptop though

ordered a bunch of eggs to stuff for the kids hopefully it will be in my Walmart pickup today.  told the kids easter bunny might have to leave their baskets outside since they know about the virus and visitors. totally fine with me because my parents use to hide our basket somewhere on our property and usually took a good hour to find- im in no rush, kids will have fun & ill be fat & drunk. win win fellers

Couldn't schedule another grocery pickup until Monday. Gonna be a real interesting Easter dinner.  :lmao:

Good chance we go with the @Jaysus Easter pizza party.  :thumbup:   Not a big fan of traditional Easter dinner anyway.

eta - just took inventory, pizza is a no-go... not enough cheese.  :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will probably have a semi traditional Easter Breakfast as that was what we did in my family.  

Breakfast consisterd of Cold Cooked Ham, cold Kielabasi, usually 2-3 different types, regular Ekrich style, a Slovenian style and an Easter Style were some of the ones we have had in the past. My wife bought some homemade kielbasi this year.  Hardboiled eggs, Easter Cheese called Hrudka (probably won't have this time as my mom always made it) Homemade Horseradish (made with beets - I took this over from my grandparents about 25 years ago, still grow our own too) cottage cheese and Paska bread (when my grandma quit making homemade we switched to the Hawaiian sweet bread)

Tradition was that you had to eat an egg first.

Also, the reason for the meats being cold is that they would be cooked on Friday, refrigerated and then a basket was made up of the food and taken to church to be blessed.

For dinner, my wife usually makes potato salad and then we may warm up the ham and keep some cold (if you want a ham sandwich) and maybe some green beans and whatever else was left over from breakfast.

Ribeyes on the grill, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, and sister shuberts rolls this year

Taking inventory for Easter dinner. Got a sourdough starter going, so a big loaf of artisan bread will be the centerpiece. Gonna build a charcuterie board around it using some interesting items from the freezer. Looks like I’ve got some trimmings from a pork belly, a nice piece of halibut my buddy caught in Alaska, and some locally smoked sausage. Will have to work on sauces for each. Also planning to do some roasted balsamic broccoli and quick-pickled cauliflower. Wish I had some good cheese.

Fingers crosses that I find some Morels today or tomorrow.

A lot of similar menus!  We're concerned ...our soon-to-be 16 yr old daughter came down with 103 degree fever last night and has slept most of today.  It looks like her fever broke a couple of hours ago, so that's good news.  

The plan is ham balls and ribeyes.  Side dishes are bacon-wrapped green bean bundles and wedding potato casserole.  Coconut cream pie for dessert.  

ham balls recipe - this is just a base recipe.  I go with graham crackers as the filler and make a much more mustard-centric sauce (closer to a yellow bbq sauce)..

wedding potato casserole - you know this dish, we use a can of cream of chicken and a can of cream of mushroom and a corn flake topping.  We have been low carbing it for a majority of the year so far ...so this with all the sugar in the ham ball sauce, and all the sugar in the green bean bundles, AND pie ...it's going to be a carb blowout.  We'll all probably be asleep within a hour of eating.  

green bean bundles - always a holiday favorite.  

Sent wife to store to get steaks.  Came back with prime filets.  ALso some ribs.

So likely going to sous vide the steaks, make some rosemary balsamic reduction butter to top them, and some cheesy potatoes as a side.

For dinner, we'll likely instapot the ribs, then finish them in the oven.

THese kids just don't know how good they have it.

Parents house for Easter:

Turkey, mash, stuffing, peas, and Brown & Serve rolls. 

Mom made some Russian Tea Cakes so I'll be crushing a lot of those for dessert

My Jamaican neighbor texts me this morning asking If I'd like some Jerk chicken his wife made...I of course said yes. She made an enormous batch for friends and family, and she sent me home with chicken, cornbread, rice w/red beans, and banana bread. All insanely delicious. Best jerk chicken I've ever had.

These au gratin potatoes and they are best I ever had

First, make a couple quarts of chili con queso

Slice up a couple pounds on potatoes

Line half the potatoes in the bottom of a casserole dish

Smear sour cream over that layer and add quso on top

Lay out another layer of potato slices and cover with more ccq

Cover dish and cook about an hour at 300

Take off lid and cover with shredded cheese, return to oven until melted.

Let stand at least 20 minutes after cooking

Eat tortilla chips and leftover queso while you are waiting

Had biscuits eggs and bacon for breakfast

For dinner, I'm  making ultimate chicken fried steak (pounded out and breaded prime ribeyes, panfried in clarified butter)

Smashed new potatoes

Pan cream gravy

Mustard greens slow cooked with Elgin sausage (local smoked beef sausage)

Users who are viewing this thread