What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electricians... AFCI questions (1 Viewer)

falguy

Inconceivable!
My task is rather simple and the last time I did any electrical work the Arc-Fault stuff was not part of the code.  Here's what I want to do:

In my living room I am going to wall mount my TV.  I want to install a new wall receptacle at the height the TV will be at. There is a receptacle in the usual location 15 inches up from the floor directly below this one.  Routing the wire will be simple.  I want to branch up from the old receptacle to my new one.  The current receptacle is somewhere in the middle of the run.

AFCI code states:

"AFCI protection is currently required for all 15 and 20 amp branch circuits providing power to outlets* in residential family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, and similar rooms or areas."

If I'm replacing a receptacle (which I'm not) I see these options:

1. Replace the outlet with an AFCI outlet.  AFCI outlets look almost identical to GFCI outlets.
  2. Install an AFCI outlet upstream from the new outlet.  AFCI outlets can protect outlets wired downstream from them.
  3. Add AFCI protection to the entire circuit, using an AFCI circuit breaker.  This is fairly easy to do in modern electric panels, but it’s not possible with fuse panels and many older circuit breaker panels.

Since I'm adding, would I buy a new AFCI outlet for my TV location and wire as always?  Or, should I replace the existing one with an AFCI outlet and put a "regular" one in the new location?  From what I read by doing this all the other ones from the point of my new AFCI to the end of that run would be protected?

Or, is there more I have to be concerned with? Possibly requiring an AFCI breaker for this circuit?  

Thanks

Are you saying that you are unable to put an AFCI breaker in? That is simplest way to be compliant. 

alternatively I’d just put in a regular outlet. It won’t be code but then you’re not code today. No one will know it’s a “new” outlet. 

that said, I’m advising option 1 (afci breaker). I’d advise 2 over a local afci outlet. In general I don’t like putting an afci outlet in the middle of non afci outlets, it’s a half measure 

Are you saying that you are unable to put an AFCI breaker in? That is simplest way to be compliant. 

alternatively I’d just put in a regular outlet. It won’t be code but then you’re not code today. No one will know it’s a “new” outlet. 

that said, I’m advising option 1 (afci breaker). I’d advise 2 over a local afci outlet. In general I don’t like putting an afci outlet in the middle of non afci outlets, it’s a half measure 
Thanks. NO, i can put an AFCI breaker in. Just figured it would be costly and maybe not required

I thought about "just do it, nobody will know" but if I can do it properly, might as well.

I believe I am "to code" technically since the house was built before the code came in and I am pretty sure I only have to follow it when I change things (like this)

Depending on which receptacle is the first one from the breaker, that could affect your decision, but if you want less of a hassle, replace the breaker with an AFCI breaker, and put a regular receptacle in for the TV.

Depending on which receptacle is the first one from the breaker, that could affect your decision, but if you want less of a hassle, replace the breaker with an AFCI breaker, and put a regular receptacle in for the TV.
OK thanks.  I have no idea which is the first receptacle. You both are saying the same thing so I'll just go with that. A new AFCI breaker it is.  

OK thanks.  I have no idea which is the first receptacle. You both are saying the same thing so I'll just go with that. A new AFCI breaker it is.  
It might be a bit pricier, but that way, everything on that circuit is protected.

ETA: be sure you get the same brand breaker as your panel, they will not fit otherwise!

Last edited by a moderator:
the real trick is that I don’t want to run around the house trying to remember where each afci breaker is if/when it trips, would rather go straight to the basement 

Users who are viewing this thread