What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "The Who" Song (1 Viewer)

The Who

• See Me, Feel Me

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Squeeze Box

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Boris The Spider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:15

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • The Real Me

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • My Choice Is In Poll #1

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters
October 17, 1982.  First big concert I saw at Folsom Field in Boulder Colorado with Jethro Tull and John 'Cougar' Mellencamp who opened the show and got savagely booed during his performance.  

In a Rolling Stone article years later he said that he hit rock bottom and nearly quit showbiz after that show.

I have to say that he was terrible, he had go-go girls dancing and was trying too hard by swearing and the crowd wasn't buying it and it became pathetic, sad, and just awful.

Tull was fantastic and The Who were amazing. 

We were waiting and waiting for them to take stage, the crowd was getting restless when all of a sudden the Good Year blimp came out of nowhere flying realllllllly low just clearing the stadium when the lights came up and fireworks shot up and then Townsend goes into the patented high arm circular wind-up to the guitar when one of my friends does this hysterical girlie-shout and punches up his first into the air but unfortunately he punched one of our other friends right in the mouth because he wasn't looking.  

One of the funniest things I ever saw.  Laughed for the first 8 minutes of the show  and still brings a chuckle today when I think of it.

Tough to pick just one favorite, but I've always loved the sneer and the snarl in Daltrey's voice on "Who Are You". Baba, Won't Get Fooled Again and Substitute are also faves.

I also really like "You Better You Bet" from "Face Dances". 

Oh, I met her in the fall of ‘82, at the first farewell concert given by The Who

Where I even got to hold her hand during my favorite song, We Don’t Get Fooled Again

And she wore tight Jordache jeans with a multicolored comb sticking out of her back pocket

And her hair was feathered back, and parted in the middle

October 17, 1982.  First big concert I saw at Folsom Field in Boulder Colorado with Jethro Tull and John 'Cougar' Mellencamp who opened the show and got savagely booed during his performance.  

In a Rolling Stone article years later he said that he hit rock bottom and nearly quit showbiz after that show.

I have to say that he was terrible, he had go-go girls dancing and was trying too hard by swearing and the crowd wasn't buying it and it became pathetic, sad, and just awful.

Tull was fantastic and The Who were amazing. 

We were waiting and waiting for them to take stage, the crowd was getting restless when all of a sudden the Good Year blimp came out of nowhere flying realllllllly low just clearing the stadium when the lights came up and fireworks shot up and then Townsend goes into the patented high arm circular wind-up to the guitar when one of my friends does this hysterical girlie-shout and punches up his first into the air but unfortunately he punched one of our other friends right in the mouth because he wasn't looking.  

One of the funniest things I ever saw.  Laughed for the first 8 minutes of the show  and still brings a chuckle today when I think of it.
I was there! I drove out in a van from Kansas City.

Me and a Buddy went on the field really close to the stage at center mass. The crowd was so dense it was a little scary, but an unforgettable show!

Edit to add: One particular memory of the show, was when Daultry announced the newly written “eminence front.” I was thinking, here we go... a pause in the action while they play some new crap.... 

One of the best songs of the night!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there! I drove out in a van from Kansas City.

Me and a Buddy went on the field really close to the stage at center mass. The crowd was so dense it was a little scary, but an unforgettable show!
We were up in the stands and you are right it was a bit scary looking down.

I remember a rush to the stage when they came out and any WHO fan recalls the Cincinnati tragedy.

Close call between Baba O'Riley and I Can See for Miles, with We're Not Gonna Take It up there as well.

Won't Get Fooled Again is a good tune, but I have never bought the "it's one of the best rock songs ever" hype.  

Tommy is their masterpiece.

A lot of The Who's music has not aged well for me.

"Jaguar," an unreleased track during the The Who Sell Out time period

either that or "A Quick One..." or "I Can See For Miles"

What a band they are!
First song that came to me was “A Quick One”. Not surprised it isn’t listed and it might not reallly be my #1, but it’s great and obviously overlooked. The whole “Sell Out” album is fantastic, too.

Won’t get Fooled Again, Substitute, and Behind Blue Eyes are my top 3, and very close. The dark horse for me is You Better You Better You Bet. I have so many memories of singing that song in the kitchen of the Grub Steak Restaurant in 1982 at my first job as a dish washer. The cook loved it, so whenever it came on he would crank up the radio in the kitchen and we would sing at the top of our lungs.

We never got a complaint from anyone. I’m not sure why.

My first concert was the Who in 1982 at Shea Stadium with the Clash opening.

My favorite song must be in poll #3: I"m A Boy

I also like A Quick One While He's Away (great scene in Rushmore)

"Jaguar," an unreleased track during the The Who Sell Out time period

either that or "A Quick One..." or "I Can See For Miles"

What a band they are!
Yes and yes on A Quick One. And I Can See for Miles. Definitely my top 2.

Memory is a bit fuzzy,  but I think they wrote Jaguar in an attempt to get some freebies from Jaguar.

Jaguar didn't bite. 

The Who Sell Out did get them some drums, strings,  and baked beans,  I believe.

I'll add Little Billy, Our Love Was, & The Kids Are Alright to my top 5.

My first concert was the Who in 1982 at Shea Stadium with the Clash opening.

My favorite song must be in poll #3: I"m A Boy

I also like A Quick One While He's Away (great scene in Rushmore)
Heck yeah.   I'm a Boy is a great song. 

How good I Can't Explain, The Substitute and My Generation are yet they have a total of 5 votes just shows how good this band was. 
Geez, I forgot about Substitute.  You guys just made me break out my Who's Better, Who's Best cd.  My sweet spot is The Kids Are Alright, Substitute, I'm A Boy, Happy Jack, and Pictures of Lily.  Hell, one great song after another and so many others.  Just an incredible pure rock band. They had great energy and a true rock attitude/spirit.

Who's Next is the best classic rock album IMO. It's perfect. 
Exactly.  Not a bad track on the album and three (or four?) of the best rock songs ever, and one of the best album covers.  Possibly my "desert island" album. 

BTW, I voted "Behind Blue Eyes" - two great songs merged into one.   

Me (52) : "What are you listening to?"

Son (15) : "My God it's this amazing song, I absolutely LOVE it by this old group from years ago."

Me : "What's the group and song?

Son : "I can't stop listening to it, I've played it 10 times in a row and discover something else each time, it's such an amazing song.  It's this group called The Who, they did this amazing song called Baba O'Riley, you ever hear of it?"

Me : "Oh, you know, maybe once or twice." :)

He doesn't listen to much rock music but I'm happy he discovered this one, he enjoys some Rush, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Yes, Zep, etc., some of the classic rock stuff, I find he gets bored with it after a while and goes back to "his era" music but it's a start at least! :)

Son (15) : "My God it's this amazing song, I absolutely LOVE it by this old group from years ago."

Son : "I can't stop listening to it, I've played it 10 times in a row and discover something else each time, it's such an amazing song.  It's this group called The Who, they did this amazing song called Baba O'Riley, you ever hear of it?"

He doesn't listen to much rock music but I happy he discovered this one, he enjoys some Rush, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Yes, Zep, etc., some of the classic rock stuff, I find he gets bored with it after a while and goes back to "his era" music but it's a start at least! :)
Doesn't one of the  tv shows use it as a theme song? That, movie soundtracks and video games are where them youngins hear old music.

Doesn't one of the  tv shows use it as a theme song? That, movie soundtracks and video games are where them youngins hear old music.
I have no idea but I can tell you he does not watch TV at all, period.  It's all youtube all the time or nothing at all, sometimes a movie here or there on Netflix.  The other day he said "what are some good movies from your generation?"  

He doesn't listen to much rock music but I happy he discovered this one, he enjoys some Rush, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Yes, Zep, etc., some of the classic rock stuff, I find he gets bored with it after a while and goes back to "his era" music but it's a start at least! :)
That's basically how I got into The Who as well. Loved Baba O'Reilly and then noticed my dad had Who's Next CD so I took it and started playing it, discovered the rest of the album was really good and away I went down a classic rock wormhole for several years. 

Users who are viewing this thread