What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (1 Viewer)

A pretty clear 3rd rookie QB but I’m surprised there’s not more hype about him. Top 6 draft pick, good mobility, good weapons, and in a fairly pass happy offense? I think he’s got huge upside.

A pretty clear 3rd rookie QB but I’m surprised there’s not more hype about him. Top 6 draft pick, good mobility, good weapons, and in a fairly pass happy offense? I think he’s got huge upside.
He will most likely  struggle badly initially.  Not saying he won’t eventually be OK however.

Probably because he's not a good qb.  Terrible pocket presence.  Reminds me of Blake Bortles with less balls.

I'd rather have Hunt a round later.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hour lunch said:
It's not going to be a pass happy offense. It was pass happy with Rivers, but HC Lynn favors a more conservative offense. When Lynn was with Tyrod in Buffalo for two seasons, Buffalo was at the bottom of the league in pass attempts. I expect they will be around average in pass attempts.

gbill2004 said:
Any chance he starts any games this year? 
I would be very surprised if he doesn't. I think he is the starter no later than week 11 when they come out of their bye.

Gilbert Manzano @GManzano

Herbert had growing pains today when his 2nd team faced 1st team. Threw a pick to Ingram. Lynn is OK with that. "It’s good to see him struggle a little bit the last couple days because I felt like we weren’t challenging him enough. This guy has a high football IQ." #Chargers
https://twitter.com/gmanzano24/status/1296908531023585280?s=21

Gilbert Manzano @GManzano

More Anthony Lynn on Justin Herbert: "It’s good for him to be uncomfortable, but as long as he’s uncomfortable and we don’t break his spirit, then I think that’s an opportunity for great growth. I’m excited about him and where he’s going." #Chargers
https://twitter.com/gmanzano24/status/1296910927694974977?s=21

Justin Herbert completed 22-of-33 passes for 311 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Chargers' Week 2 overtime loss to the Chiefs, adding 18 yards and a score as a rusher.

Tyrod Taylor suffered a chest injury during pregame warmups, thrusting first-round rookie Herbert into the starting lineup on zero notice. For someone who didn't work with the first-team offense leading into the game, Herbert looked promising. The ball leaves his hand with zip, and he offers scrambling ability, which is how he scored his first career touchdown. Herbert certainly has the tools to be a franchise quarterback if he can limit his mistakes. A bad cross-body interception was one of his few errors against the Super Bowl-defending Chiefs. We'd bet Herbert starts the rest of the season barring injury or chaos. He deserves extended looks after Week 2's performance. Herbert has QB2 appeal against the Panthers next week.

- Rotoworld
Coach already said if T-Mobile is healthy, he's starting.

I was happy with what I saw today.  If he just runs for the 1st down on that ugly interception they probably could have pulled out the win. 

It'll be interesting if Lynn says the same thing after watching the film.  Herbert was making throws that Taylor can't make.  His poise against the blitz and being able to make plays out of nothing was impressive for a rookie.  Obviously made some rookie mistakes as well.  But I think they are better off letting him learn. Going back to Taylor will be a big mistake IMO.

Coach already said if T-Mobile is healthy, he's starting.
Well, the whole league knows Tyrod isnt an NFL starter, perfect backup.

Let the kid play I say, he impressed me vs. KC. 

Way better for the Charger fantasy players too.

The INT was terrible, he could of easily ran for it, but those mistakes will happen

Well, the whole league knows Tyrod isnt an NFL starter, perfect backup.

Let the kid play I say, he impressed me vs. KC. 

Way better for the Charger fantasy players too.

The INT was terrible, he could of easily ran for it, but those mistakes will happen
I just liked the attitude and the calmness (except for the crazy int). He didn’t seem phased by the speed or complexity. He a couple inaccurate throws and the bad pick but he shook it off. At that level so much of the game is mental. Of course he has the physical tools- though those might be even better than given credit for. There’s not a throw he can’t make and while he’s not Cam Newton, you know a lot of DBs aren’t going to be happy seeing him barreling down at them on the open field.

Looked like a legit NFL QB to me. Went head to head with Mahomes and almost pulled it out. 
I will say...he impressed me in the bowl game against Wisconsin...the long strides and decent arm.  But didn't think he was ready for at least a year.  Then I watched the 4th quarter and OT of that game and thought...whoa, maybe he is ready.  He passed the initial eye test for sure.

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Tyrod Taylor (ribs) gives the Chargers "the best chance to win."

"I know we can win with either quarterback," Lynn said, "but the veteran quarterback right now gives us the best chance to win. It’s not like we won the damn game yesterday. We lost last time I checked.” Herbert was impressive in his debut, completing 22-of-33 passes for 311 yards while breathing life into an offense that appeared dreadful in Week 1, but Lynn is clearly having none of it.
https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/status/1308151803037458433

I went to the Rose Bowl as a Badgers fan so I am no fan of this guy. But he played better than I expected this week. The jury is still out on whether he will be a good NFL QB, but he didn't look overwhelmed and showed good potential. 

I went to the Rose Bowl as a Badgers fan so I am no fan of this guy. But he played better than I expected this week. The jury is still out on whether he will be a good NFL QB, but he didn't look overwhelmed and showed good potential. 
He's a duck, so he won't be on any of my teams.....gotta draw the line somewhere.

I added him in Dynasty to backup Dak.  I used about 40% of my blind bidding dollars to get him.  He looked really poised against KC and that spoke volumes to me as he is a rookie thrust into that start.

Justin Herbert completed 20-of-25 passes for 290 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 1 interception in the Chargers' Week 4 loss to the Bucs.

The Chargers offensive line entered the game as the worst on-paper unit in the NFL, and then Austin Ekeler (hamstring) joined Mike Williams on the side line. Despite little around him, Herbert was impressive. He nearly became the second QB ever to have 300+ passing yards in his first three games (Joe Burrow being the first), and Hebert's three touchdowns all went to undrafted players. In theory, coach Anthony Lynn could go back to Tyrod Taylor at any point, but that would be one of the dumbest things imaginable. Herbert has passed the eye test and more in his starts. He'll be an upside QB2 on Monday night in New Orleans, assuming Lynn doesn't put in his QB progress stopper.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread