What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OBJ to Minnesota? (Rumored trade) (1 Viewer)

Tejas

Footballguy
Report: #Browns and #Vikings have had discussions on a trade for WR Odell Beckham Jr. per @MarcMalusis. it is not a done deal but sources told Malusis not to be surprised if it happens for a 2nd and 5th round pick

Wow, that would be a big one...pretty much every mock has Cleveland going o-line, if this went down I wonder if WR would become a possible target...they are right in the sweet spot for the top-tier guys.

He actually intrigues me more in Minny (and I understand the negatives)...he needs a change of scenery and they play indoors and with Detroit on the schedule that guarantees 9 indoor games...worst case it is probably the same as last year...I would like to say this means he will play with a chip on his shoulder but not sure he is able to look himself in the mirror and take any blame for what is happening with his career.

Wow, that would be a big one...pretty much every mock has Cleveland going o-line, if this went down I wonder if WR would become a possible target...they are right in the sweet spot for the top-tier guys.
I think the Browns realize the top OTs who fit the outside-zone scheme that new HC Stephanski is implementing will 'likely' be off the board but blue-chip WRs will be available.

WR would definitely be on the menu if this rumor pans out and OBJ gets dealt and then the Browns could address the OT position by signing FA OT Jason Peters and then taking a developmental OT in the 2nd since the 'new' O-Line coach is Callahan who is one of the best in the league.  

Don't sell OBJ short, he gained over a 1,000 yards with an extremely painful injury.  He drew bracketed coverage every week.  His presence gifted Javis Landry his biggest year with the Browns.  Trading for veterans in the time of Covid19 is a smart move by any NFL team since rookies are going to have a hard time ramping up to speed this year.  

If it happens the Vikes will get a bargain and a lot of production since OBJ's surgery went well and he's on-time to be full-speed by the time the season begins. 

Same OC that is now the HC in Cleveland?    Not sure how much going to MN helps, I don't think it hurts though.    Cleveland going to employ a run first approach this year, a lot of double tights.    Same thing MN employed last year.    Get away from Baker, that's my hope and as an OBJ owner, I will take it

If it happens the Vikes will get a bargain and a lot of production since OBJ's surgery went well and he's on-time to be full-speed by the time the season begins. 
Bargain for a few weeks at least. After a few weeks he'll be crying about his contract, or his targets, or having to play in the frozen tundra of MIN instead of a major market. New prima donna WR takes the locker of the old prima donna WR. 

Seems like this move makes MIN tight up against the salary cap. If I were MIN I'd be pushing to add Rudolph for Njoku to give them some breathing space against the cap. That way CLE still can run the 2 TE offense and MIN gets a developmental player that seems to have worn out his welcome in CLE.

Seems like a push. Never a good thing when a guys been on 3 teams in 3 years. 
The three teams in three years wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the career trend. First three years All-Pro and All-World. Quietly, he's been more of a Pro-Bowl or maybe even Pro-Bowl alternate type production for awhile now. He's paid a lot to be that big a headache and possibly not even be WR#1 on his own team. 

This would be a GREAT get for Minnesota.  This would allow them to take BPA with one of their 2 1st rounders, instead of WR.  Actually Reagor would be an excellent pick in the slot.  But in any event, I would love to see this happen.
I don't think they have to go WR with either of those 2 1sts right now. Plenty of solid guys available in round 2.

Whether this is a trade that happens or not, in retrospect, I think the Giants have to pretty happy with what they got for Beckham. 

How the Vikings would afford Beckham is a question I'd have.

He had core muscle surgery in January.  He never complained and never missed a game.  He worked hard and helped out others.  He was a good team mate and he's been quiet as a church mouse.  The upside is massive if he comes back as big as I think he will.
I'm not saying anything about him being a bad teammate. He just hasn't been super productive for three seasons now

For the price of a 2nd and a 5th though? Bring him in.

Would be an upgrade for him big time.  Cousins is far better than Mayfield, and with a great running game, Beckham could feast on those play action passes. I doubt he will get targets like he did in NY in his early years, but it would be better than last year's disaster.

Report: #Browns and #Vikings have had discussions on a trade for WR Odell Beckham Jr. per @MarcMalusis. it is not a done deal but sources told Malusis not to be surprised if it happens for a 2nd and 5th round pick
Trying to find out if this has legs, the most trusted source says 'its not what you think'

-----------------------------------

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

28m

The news I have tonight is not transactional news, not a player getting traded or signed. Woke up to seeing y’all going ape-you-know-what guessing what it is. It’s not what you think. Fox Football Now tonight 11 ET/ 8 PT after race

-------------------------------

Football Chopz@Pchopz_

16m

Schefter episode coming soon. Tons more than just the Odell stuff. In the meantime, subscribe to the pod now. Recently had RapSheet on, which was great: 👉 >>  LINK

----------------------------------

Football Chopz@Pchopz_

We haven't dropped the interview yet, but i'll say that Schefter told us yesterday that the Browns aren't trading Odell.

Quote Tweet

Moose™@MarcMalusis

· 1h

So, as I reported this morning on @MandMWFAN, Source has told me that the Browns and Vikings are in discussions on a trade that would send @obj to the Vikings for a 2nd and 5th round pick next year. Trade is not done, but the deal is being discussed.

---------------------

I dunno about this one folks.

CLE was 20th in pass attempts in 2019

MIN was 30th

Not sure how going from moderate passing volume to low passing volume is an upgrade
Better QB, better offense, better team.  Even with being on a crappy Browns team that was losing a lot, Beckham still struggled in Cleveland.  Plus, I wouldn't assume the Vikings will be that run-heavy again. 

Posted this in the Skins thread, Vikings have inquired about Trent Williams, let's get a 3 way trade, Beckham to DC (Skins tried getting Cooper and want to upgrade, and you know Beckham would love going against NY and Dallas), Vikings get Trent, and Browns get the 2nd/5th they were asking for (and maybe the Skins give me the 5th so they ultimately give a 2nd for Trent which is what Redskins are asking for) Plus Cousins and Trent are very familiar with each other. Does make a lot of sense....

Would you anticipate a first year slump? Apparently this is a thing... I'm curious how 3rd team in 3 years affects a guys ability to get comfortable in an offense. 

I'd agree, MIN is a better team on paper. I honestly see him with 2019 Diggs stats for 2020
Hard to say since Beckham hasn't put up all-world stats in a few years now, and it might be unrealistic for us to expect him to ever put up numbers like that again on a regular basis. If he went to Minnesota, there is definitely the chance for major pouting, a) if/when they run it a lot, and b) when Thielen gets more targets than him.   I just think he has a better chance of bouncing back in Minnesota than he does in Cleveland.

Would be an upgrade for him big time.  Cousins is far better than Mayfield, and with a great running game, Beckham could feast on those play action passes. I doubt he will get targets like he did in NY in his early years, but it would be better than last year's disaster.
Way too early to call Cousins better than Mayfield. I'd agree Kubiak/Stepfanski are better playcallers than Kitchens.

Also not sure Minnesota's running game is better than Cleveland's.

Way too early to call Cousins better than Mayfield.
Not at all.  Cousins quietly had a really good 2019 (after a rough September).  Mayfield, meanwhile, receded big time in 2019 and is probably one of the worst starters in the league right now, while Cousins would probably be an average starter (in the 14-18 range).

Not at all.  Cousins quietly had a really good 2019 (after a rough September).  Mayfield, meanwhile, receded big time in 2019 and is probably one of the worst starters in the league right now, while Cousins would probably be an average starter (in the 14-18 range).
Mayfield also has what 25 starts? I think its silly to assume his 2019 is who he is as a player going forward, especially when he was so much better the year before. 

Sure, Cousins was better in 2019, but I think most NFL GM's would rather have Mayfield going forward. 

Also, I really don't think Mayfield was anywhere near one of the worst starters in the league. A lot of guys would have done a lot worse in his situation of terrible blocking and awful play calling. There are at least a dozen starters I'd take Mayfield over, and I think his upside is still very much top-10 QB.

Mayfield also has what 25 starts? I think its silly to assume his 2019 is who he is as a player going forward, especially when he was so much better the year before. 

Sure, Cousins was better in 2019, but I think most NFL GM's would rather have Mayfield going forward. 

Also, I really don't think Mayfield was anywhere near one of the worst starters in the league. A lot of guys would have done a lot worse in his situation of terrible blocking and awful play calling. There are at least a dozen starters I'd take Mayfield over, and I think his upside is still very much top-10 QB.
Maybe, but OBJ was open every game where Mayfield didn't get him the ball.  Many times he was running for his life, other times he went to another receiver, and not unreasonably there were times they didn't read the defense the same.  OBJ played better than his stats & never complained.

Just doesn’t make sense for Minnesota financially. Throw in the fact that OBJ is always a malcontent and hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

Minnesota would be wise to stand pat at WR. If they want to spend money they should spend it on Everson Griffin.

[PAOnTheMic] (Voice of Vikings Radio) Just asked somebody who would know if #Vikings and Browns discussing deal for OBJ. Response was "Fake News." I believe the source. #Onward

https://twitter.com/PAOnTheMic/status/1250455896221560833

[Cabot] Received a one-word answer from a source close to the #Vikings about the report they're talking to the #Browns about trading for Odell Beckham Jr. for a 2nd & 5th next year: "False"

https://twitter.com/marykaycabot/status/1250464224280743942?s=21

Upside is not current reality, though, and the reality is that Cousins was better last year than Mayfield has ever been in the NFL, so until Mayfield puts it together on a consistent basis, sorry, he does not get the benefit of the doubt. 

It is impossible to know who GM's would pick, although I am sure there are many would wouldn't want an immature knucklehead like Baker as the face of their franchise.

Again, I am not saying Cousins is elite.  He is not.  He is an average NFL starter.  Right now, Baker is not.  That makes going from Baker to Cousins an upgrade.

Upside is not current reality, though, and the reality is that Cousins was better last year than Mayfield has ever been in the NFL, so until Mayfield puts it together on a consistent basis, sorry, he does not get the benefit of the doubt. 

It is impossible to know who GM's would pick, although I am sure there are many would wouldn't want an immature knucklehead like Baker as the face of their franchise.

Again, I am not saying Cousins is elite.  He is not.  He is an average NFL starter.  Right now, Baker is not.  That makes going from Baker to Cousins an upgrade.
I just think its really short sighted to assume a young QB who has shown a high ceiling already, is just going to continue to be his worst season going forward. 

I am very confident if they weren't going to incur any cap penalties, the Vikings would send Cousins+ to Cleveland for Mayfield. I'm even going to say that I don't agree that Cousins is an average QB, he's at least above average, but Mayfield still has Franchise QB potential. Valuing Cousins at his best vs Mayfield at his worst just doesn't seem like a fair argument just because they were both the most recent. 

Don't think its fair to call Mayfield a knucklehead either. Immature maybe, but a knucklehead is a much more apt description of Beckham frankly, although I wouldn't apply it to him either. 

I think we may be in agree to disagree territory here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems completely made up. Surprised it had the legs it did to get people talking like they were in here, not like a known reputable source reported it. Guess we are that bored.

So they'd get a 1st for Diggs and only pay a 2nd and 5th for OBJ?

Bargain for a few weeks at least. After a few weeks he'll be crying about his contract, or his targets, or having to play in the frozen tundra of MIN instead of a major market. New prima donna WR takes the locker of the old prima donna WR. 

Seems like this move makes MIN tight up against the salary cap. If I were MIN I'd be pushing to add Rudolph for Njoku to give them some breathing space against the cap. That way CLE still can run the 2 TE offense and MIN gets a developmental player that seems to have worn out his welcome in CLE.
:unsure:

Because Cleveland is a major market?

And he'd be in a dome. 

Cousins > Mayfield. Cousins has averaged just under 28 TDs a year and averaged over 4200 yards per year since becoming a starter 5 years ago. He's averaged 10 INTs per season. Meanwhile Baker has averaged 25 TDs a tear, 3700 yards a season, and 18 INTS a season. Only Soulfly3 would argue Baker is better. Just sayin' 

CLE was 20th in pass attempts in 2019

MIN was 30th

Not sure how going from moderate passing volume to low passing volume is an upgrade
In this case I'll take the quality over the quantity.  I imagine the passing yards are closer in rank than this (meaning MIN is more efficient/productive on lower volume).

eta - 2019 was a mess for the MIN WR position.. but 2018 the WRs saw 396 targets (CLE 332 last year).

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case I'll take the quality over the quantity.  I imagine the passing yards are closer in rank than this (meaning MIN is more efficient/productive on lower volume).

eta - 2019 was a mess for the MIN WR position.. but 2018 the WRs saw 396 targets (CLE 332 last year).
Browns averaged something like 222.1 yards per game passing.

The Vikes averaged something like 220.2 yards per game passing.

Difference of 1.9 yards per game.

Stephanski got his first shot at being an OC last year and DCs got book on and were jumping some of his route concepts.

Kubiak helped him after Diggs complained and he turned it around.  

Kubiak is the new OC and Stephanski learned his lesson.

Freddy Kitchens was a disaster of Hindenburg proportions as a rookie HC who also wore the OC hat.  

The O-Line was a mess and 'should' improve but Baker's issue is a bit complex but the new scheme 'might' fix things. 

Whoever it is I want to thank him and I hope he starts a rumor like this every single day while we are quarantined...this man (I do hope his name is Moose and even if it isn't it is now) is a hero...in our time of need he helped us get thru the day...thank you Moose!!!

Users who are viewing this thread