What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Von Miller tests positive for Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm watching ESPN right now, and they just made the announcement that Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller has tested positive for the Coronavirus.  He is being quarantined at home right now.  Don't have any more information at this time.

Do you not want him to recover?
He will be fine.

While I fully don't downplay the severity of this virus, for a healthy 30 year old professional athlete like Von, his chances of even needing to go to a hospital for this are about 1%. 

This would be like making a thread for an NFL player getting the flu and needing to stay home and have soup for a week.

He will be fine.

While I fully don't downplay the severity of this virus, for a healthy 30 year old professional athlete like Von, his chances of even needing to go to a hospital for this are about 1%. 

This would be like making a thread for an NFL player getting the flu and needing to stay home and have soup for a week.
Oh Come On!

Corona is the biggest story in the world in the last 18 years, and Von Miller is one of the highest profile athletes in the world. It's at least worth a thread on FBG.

Oh Come On!

Corona is the biggest story in the world in the last 18 years, and Von Miller is one of the highest profile athletes in the world. It's at least worth a thread on FBG.
Not sure if you're joking or not :P

But just in case not... I'm sure many many NFL players are going to get it.  Pretty much 10% of the NBA got it.  It's a very low health risk to these players, and what exactly is going to be discussed in here?  A bunch of "prayers for him and his family, this must be some of the hardest moments of his life".  He'll have a cough for a bit and be alright!

Not sure if you're joking or not :P

But just in case not... I'm sure many many NFL players are going to get it.  Pretty much 10% of the NBA got it.  It's a very low health risk to these players, and what exactly is going to be discussed in here?  A bunch of "prayers for him and his family, this must be some of the hardest moments of his life".  He'll have a cough for a bit and be alright!
I'm pretty serious - like 67 percent.

I mean, it's a pretty big story. If Lebron got it, we'd have a thread for that. I'm not a baseball guy, but if some pretty famous baseball guy like Sammy Sosa in 1998 got it, we'd have a thread for them. 

I just think that it may not be thread-worthy, but its not not thread-worthy.

I'm pretty serious - like 67 percent.

I mean, it's a pretty big story. If Lebron got it, we'd have a thread for that. I'm not a baseball guy, but if some pretty famous baseball guy like Sammy Sosa in 1998 got it, we'd have a thread for them. 

I just think that it may not be thread-worthy, but its not not thread-worthy.
It's not really a big story, he will have mild symptoms and recover and be fine.  If we had a thread for every NFL player that got corona we'd be screwed.  Hundreds of players will likely acquire it.

A thread is for discussion.... I guess we can discuss all the details of Von's cough??  I bet his cough is bad-###.  One of the best cough's in all of sports.  What are your thoughts?  :P

It's not really a big story, he will have mild symptoms and recover and be fine.  If we had a thread for every NFL player that got corona we'd be screwed.  Hundreds of players will likely acquire it.

A thread is for discussion.... I guess we can discuss all the details of Von's cough??  I bet his cough is bad-###.  One of the best cough's in all of sports.  What are your thoughts?  :P
I just want some #### to talk about and something to do. If a high-profile football fellow gets this silly thing, let's talk about. What the hell else are we going to do for the next few months?

I just want some #### to talk about and something to do. If a high-profile football fellow gets this silly thing, let's talk about. What the hell else are we going to do for the next few months?
Haha I know but my point is what is there to discuss?

Ok let's talk about it, you start the conversation... andddd go.

Haha I know but my point is what is there to discuss?

Ok let's talk about it, you start the conversation... andddd go.
So there's this thing, Covid19 (and that's because it started in 2019, not because it's the 19th version of Covid as some idiots would have you believe) and it sucks. There's like, a couple million cases worldwide. But there's like billions of people in the world. So, whoa!

But check this out. There's this sport called "football." Not the silly football the rest of the world knows. This is America! Our football is the best.

And there's this dude, Von. Not Van. Von. And he's really really good. And he got this Covid thing. Isn't that crazy??

That's about all I got. But I still think it's thread-worthy.

So there's this thing, Covid19 (and that's because it started in 2019, not because it's the 19th version of Covid as some idiots would have you believe) and it sucks. There's like, a couple million cases worldwide. But there's like billions of people in the world. So, whoa!

But check this out. There's this sport called "football." Not the silly football the rest of the world knows. This is America! Our football is the best.

And there's this dude, Von. Not Van. Von. And he's really really good. And he got this Covid thing. Isn't that crazy??

That's about all I got. But I still think it's thread-worthy.
Great discussion, that was informative and engaging.  🙄

I do appreciate the effort though haha.  In reality if we didn't have this little back and forth, it would just have been an empty thread where people see "cool headline!" and then don't have anything to talk about.  There's simply nothing to say on this matter.

Great discussion, that was informative and engaging.  🙄

I do appreciate the effort though haha.  In reality if we didn't have this little back and forth, it would just have been an empty thread where people see "cool headline!" and then don't have anything to talk about.  There's simply nothing to say on this matter.
Hey! We're gonna make this work!

I still think it's worth a thread...

He will be fine.

This virus can cause permanent heart or lung damage in otherwise healthy people.

The suggestion that he'll be fine because he's young and in good shape is under selling what the risks are in a dangerous way.  

It's absolutely thread worthy. There have been plenty of "healthy 30 year olds" who have died from this.

But why it's worth posting HERE, is that if he or any other athlete dies, you can forget any hope of sports until a vaccine is created.

This virus can cause permanent heart or lung damage in otherwise healthy people.

The suggestion that he'll be fine because he's young and in good shape is under selling what the risks are in a dangerous way.  
I'm fully aware of the risks probably more than most.  And I'm not remotely downplaying (or meaning to) the severity of this virus.  It's extremely severe in many people, and we are doing an awful job of containing it.

My issue is that Von is at little to no risk to any long term issues.  Also that only 20% of people show symptoms of anything more than a minor cold, and thus aren't getting tested.  I am assuming the number of NFL players that have already had it and recovered, or will get it and recover, is in the hundreds.  Not sure what really can be 'discussed' in here,  perhaps a general 'players are getting covid how will this affect the season' thread, but a full thread on Von being tested positive.... will every player get a thread on this?  Also the OP is known for these types of threads (made one when Peyton was diagnosed a few weeks ago too).

There's nothing really to discuss about Von.  I assure you he will stay at home and be completely fine from this.  He's already reported that he's feeling better and has extremely mild symptoms now.

Deamon said:
There's nothing really to discuss about Von.  I assure you he will stay at home and be completely fine from this.  He's already reported that he's feeling better and has extremely mild symptoms now.
You know what an underlying risk factor is? Obesity. You know who's obese by definition? Like 75% of the NFL. And a lot of those guys are actually fat, not only big. A bunch have asthma, a number are diabetic. Fatalities are disproportionately male.

In China, 0.2% of confirmed cases between ages 20-39 died. That's 2 in 1000.

What's big, smelly, and has 3,392 legs? NFL regular-season rosters. 

Low risk is not the same as no risk.

You know what an underlying risk factor is? Obesity. You know who's obese by definition? Like 75% of the NFL. And a lot of those guys are actually fat, not only big. A bunch have asthma, a number are diabetic. Fatalities are disproportionately male.

In China, 0.2% of confirmed cases between ages 20-39 died. That's 2 in 1000.

What's big, smelly, and has 3,392 legs? NFL regular-season rosters. 

Low risk is not the same as no risk.
Where are you getting these numbers?

The "Studys" show that the number is 56%,  and all they did was calculate the players' BMIs from their heights and weights. Given this, of course their BMIs will be considered obese, these guys are beasts. However, the BMI calculation dosen't take into account muscle mass.  With the BMI, most running backs are considered obese. However, very few are actually fat. Most are just huge, strong guys. This report is incredibly misleading (and even then it's much lower than your 75%).

If the Broncos move up for an outside linebacker in the first round I will start to get concerned just a teeny bit though.

Deamon said:
I'm fully aware of the risks probably more than most.  And I'm not remotely downplaying (or meaning to) the severity of this virus.  It's extremely severe in many people, and we are doing an awful job of containing it.

My issue is that Von is at little to no risk to any long term issues.  Also that only 20% of people show symptoms of anything more than a minor cold, and thus aren't getting tested.  I am assuming the number of NFL players that have already had it and recovered, or will get it and recover, is in the hundreds.  Not sure what really can be 'discussed' in here,  perhaps a general 'players are getting covid how will this affect the season' thread, but a full thread on Von being tested positive.... will every player get a thread on this?  Also the OP is known for these types of threads (made one when Peyton was diagnosed a few weeks ago too).

I think you’ve probably made your point that you don’t think this is thread worthy

Von was shocked to be diagnosed with Covid. He said he has only gone out 4 times and neither time did he get out of the car. He then went on to say did have people coming in and out of his house like delivery people, housekeepers, maintenance, plumber etc.

Von was shocked to be diagnosed with Covid. He said he has only gone out 4 times and neither time did he get out of the car. He then went on to say did have people coming in and out of his house like delivery people, housekeepers, maintenance, plumber etc.
Yeah, I found that odd. Nobody has come in my house since my family. 

He also said McManus worked out with him in his home gym. And then he mentioned "three of us" worked out. And mentioned his brother being with him in the car. 

He potentially had a lot of exposure.

From a fantasy football perspective, I think this is going to be affecting a significant number of athletes throughout the summer and fall.  Pay attention to the players who announce that they have it early, because otherwise you could be losing a key player for at least two weeks in the middle of the season.

Pay attention to the athletes who are paying attention and getting plenty of Zinc (and Zn ionophores) + Vitamin D. Bless all of them, regardless.

And, you. Get some Sun. Kiss your babes  #NilltoBill

He will be fine.

Read the link above. He lost 15 lbs and his sense of taste and smell and it took him time to get back in shape and he considered putting out because he's still a risk for reinfection. 

That's a "mild case". 

Read the link above. He lost 15 lbs and his sense of taste and smell and it took him time to get back in shape and he considered putting out because he's still a risk for reinfection. 

That's a "mild case". 
That's not a "mild case". That's probably the most serious case an NFL player has seen and he had pre existing conditions, and is fully recovered now. Dozens of NFL players and coaches who contracted the virus had ZERO or very few symptoms. 

That's a "mild case". 
0 NFL players have been hospitalized for this, out of likely 100 who have had it (new research shows about 12-15 percent of people who have actually had it, ever tested positive). 

For every Von who has fully recovered, there's 10 Doug Pederson's who didn't even show a single symptom. 

Next. 

Users who are viewing this thread