What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 3rd Party/Independent 2020 Voters Thread (1 Viewer)

ren hoek

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say I don't like Howie Hawkins, I hope the Green Party nominates someone else.  In an interview with PM he revealed himself to be relatively uncritical and push incredibly dumb talking points about several issues.  Hawkins was a bigtime believer in the TrumpRussia fantasies.  PM interviewed Jill Stein about it too, and thankfully she didn't pull any punches about Hawkins' ignorance on this issue.  People who got wrapped up in Russiagate, and failed to see it for the cold war fear campaign that it really was, are unfit for office and not very bright.  It is disqualifying to me.  

I'll say I don't like Howie Hawkins, I hope the Green Party nominates someone else.  In an interview with PM he revealed himself to be relatively uncritical and push incredibly dumb talking points about several issues.  Hawkins was a bigtime believer in the TrumpRussia fantasies.  PM interviewed Jill Stein about it too, and thankfully she didn't pull any punches about Hawkins' ignorance on this issue.  People who got wrapped up in Russiagate, and failed to see it for the cold war fear campaign that it really was, are unfit for office and not very bright.  It is disqualifying to me.  
That's where I'm at too more or less. At this point I'll consider them of course because I want them to get funding but hopefully someone better pops up. 

If you're really opposed to the existing domination of the nation's political system by two entrenched and corrupt parties, urge your congresspeople to support Rep. Don Beyer's Fair Representation Act, which will give third parties a very reasonable chance to gain access to power and change the country in meaningful ways.

Independent voter here who made the mistake of writing in  third party candidate in 2016 and that is a mistake I will not make in 2020. You aren't going to find any campaign poster on my property but if I did post one it would read something like " For the love of God anyone but Trump" Perhaps it would be better to read "whoever can get the most votes to defeat Trump" but that just doesn't have the same appeal. Please use your disgust for Trump to vote for Biden as he is the only one with a chance to win. (I should add I was a Republican for 40 years up until the time the GOP was infected by the Trump virus in 2016)

Independent voter here who made the mistake of writing in  third party candidate in 2016 and that is a mistake I will not make in 2020. You aren't going to find any campaign poster on my property but if I did post one it would read something like " For the love of God anyone but Trump" Perhaps it would be better to read "whoever can get the most votes to defeat Trump" but that just doesn't have the same appeal. Please use your disgust for Trump to vote for Biden as he is the only one with a chance to win. (I should add I was a Republican for 40 years up until the time the GOP was infected by the Trump virus in 2016)
🤮

I wonder what percentage of 2016 3rd partiers have reached a similar conclusion?

That's where I am, honestly. Any other election year I'd vote 3rd party for president, but I am not taking that chance this year. I do not wish to have 4 more years of Trump, because I do not like the nation's chances of survival if that happens. He has proven himself to be a poor leader, with worse character.

I also jumped ship from the Titanic in 2016. Totally agree.
I have a hard time with this.  Because what it’s saying in essence is the GOP’s illegal wars, mass surveillance, torture, bailouts for the rich, and many other societal ills were ok until Trump came along.  

The big difference in terms of understanding Trump seems to fall along two lines.  As Greenwald put it:

“A major political divide continues to be between those who view Trump as the primary *cause* of political evils in the US, & those who see him as a *symptom & outcome* of the evils that preceded him.

That determines how one views the goal of just restoring pre-Trump “normalcy.” “

I don’t want Trump to be President.  I don’t want the “old normal,” which made Trump’s election possible, either.  It’s time for real structural change in how government operates.  Biden won’t change anything, he’s already assured his rich donors of that.  

To the extent voting still matters, it should only take place with the understanding that both major parties are systemically corrupt and need to be dismantled.  

That's where I am, honestly. Any other election year I'd vote 3rd party for president, but I am not taking that chance this year. I do not wish to have 4 more years of Trump, because I do not like the nation's chances of survival if that happens. He has proven himself to be a poor leader, with worse character.
True. 3rd party only works when the one currently in office isn't totally unacceptable. Then you have to do what you do.

“A major political divide continues to be between those who view Trump as the primary *cause* of political evils in the US, & those who see him as a *symptom & outcome* of the evils that preceded him.
And love how the bold above have to constantly tell everyone how to live there life these days and think that things like Fake News, corruption and many other ills started with Trump, when they've actually been going on for 20, 50, 100+ years.

True. 3rd party only works when the one currently in office isn't totally unacceptable. Then you have to do what you do.
but isn't that the rub? 

in the 2020 election, Trump is the "totally unacceptable" choice, so voting 3rd Party is too risky. in 2024, people will say the same thing about The Other Side: "You can't vote 3rd Party because [insert R candidate] will be another Trump" and conversely, "You can't vote 3rd Party because we can't risk [insert D candidate] ruining our country." 

unless we decide to get rid of the EC, and those in power in our current 2 Party System will never let that happen,  there will never be the "right time" to vote 3rd Party. 

but isn't that the rub? 

in the 2020 election, Trump is the "totally unacceptable" choice, so voting 3rd Party is too risky. in 2024, people will say the same thing about The Other Side: "You can't vote 3rd Party because [insert R candidate] will be another Trump" and conversely, "You can't vote 3rd Party because we can't risk [insert D candidate] ruining our country." 

unless we decide to get rid of the EC, and those in power in our current 2 Party System will never let that happen,  there will never be the "right time" to vote 3rd Party. 
If I thought there was a 3rd party that wouldn't just make it easier for the worst party to win, I would vote for them.

I have a hard time with this.  Because what it’s saying in essence is the GOP’s illegal wars, mass surveillance, torture, bailouts for the rich, and many other societal ills were ok until Trump came along.  

The big difference in terms of understanding Trump seems to fall along two lines.  As Greenwald put it:

That determines how one views the goal of just restoring pre-Trump “normalcy.” “

I don’t want Trump to be President.  I don’t want the “old normal,” which made Trump’s election possible, either.  It’s time for real structural change in how government operates.  Biden won’t change anything, he’s already assured his rich donors of that.  

To the extent voting still matters, it should only take place with the understanding that both major parties are systemically corrupt and need to be dismantled.  
When I first registered I was Republican. I thought they were supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility (always thought Bush Sr. got a raw deal on the raising of taxes) and personal responsibility. Then we got infected with Promise Keepers, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and the Clinton impeachment so I switched to Independent. I was lukewarm on Gore v. Bush Jr. and really didn't care all that much who won. However, all allegiance and/or common ground I had with the Republicans pretty much went out the window when 9-11 was leveraged into mass surveillance of our own people, secret courts, "legal" torture, and black site prisons, not to mention a war in Iraq on no evidence of WMDs and, unrelated to the disaster, a severe allergy to science. I also wasn't pleased with the huge tax cuts. I have no problem with tax cuts in general but they need to be warranted.

Obama ran on a platform of rolling back a lot of that which I thought was harmful to Americans and how other countries view us. I don't know if he accomplished all that much regarding privacy violations. I don't think he exacerbated/expanded the problem and there were a few publicized successes here and there but he pretty much wasted all his political capital on the ACA. Aside from Obama dropping the ball on the thing I actually voted for him to do - I thought he was a decent President. He did inherit a horrible economy and turned it around without creating an obviously artificial bubble.

Now, Trump is a whole different beast. He is both a symptom and a cause. I don't know if he should've been impeached regarding Russia as, while I do think there was something there, I don' t think it rose to a level of some sort of criminal conspiracy based on evidence gathered. However, I wholeheartedly thought he should've been impeached over Ukraine. There is absolutely no way that should ever fly in American politics. The fact we literally have the most incompetent, corrupt President in history "guiding" us through something like a global pandemic is disheartening to say the least. Even more when there are people, on this board, that seem to think he is doing a great job and swallowing everything he says hook, line, and sinker.

I do disagree that both parties are systemically corrupt. Something like the ACA would never pass if corruption (I am assuming this is some form of money and power) ruled both parties. Just in recent history the Dems have cut ties with John Edwards, Weiner, Franken, and whoever that rep was in California but I don't see that happening on the Republican side. I do think that the Dems have some sort of mental handicap and can't formulate a message to rally people behind them. I think they need to focus on a message of helping people over say climate change (even though climate change needs to be addressed, and in the long run probably more important, just don't make that a primary talking point).

I'm interested!  https://twitter.com/kennethmejiaLA/status/1253043640462569472

Kenneth Mejia

@kennethmejiaLA

GREEN NEWS!

@GovJVentura, ex-Governor of Minnesota/Pro Wrestler SUBMITTED a Letter of Interest to the Green Party to run as a Green Party Presidential Nominee! In a past clip - Ventura jokingly asked Nader to run VP if he decides to run. Ventura/Nader w/be nuts! Thoughts?

Jesse's my main man, it's over if he gets in.  
Jesse's a 9/11 Truther, IIRC. Some would call him a skeptic. I would call him poison.

Nice to hear that Vermin Supreme has fully cemented in my head what the Libertarian Party is really about. Be interested to see the Constitutional Party, but I've checked with them in the past and came away wanting. 

Ventura is somehow like a less intelligent version of Trump. He drove the Minnesota economy into the ground. He's a truther. 
Well, I agree with Ventura for example that the Bush administration knew about it before it happened.  That's not the same thing as saying they orchestrated it themselves, which is an important distinction.  I'm not familiar with all his thoughts on 9/11 but it warranted a lot more skepticism than it got, without uncritical people tarring them as "truthers".  

My big thing with Ventura is having leaders that are willing to challenge the intelligence establishment.  To speak openly about their coups, dirty wars, and crimes against humanity. 

Well, I agree with Ventura for example that the Bush administration knew about it before it happened.  That's not the same thing as saying they orchestrated it themselves, which is an important distinction.  I'm not familiar with all his thoughts on 9/11 but it warranted a lot more skepticism than it got, without uncritical people tarring them as "truthers".  

My big thing with Ventura is having leaders that are willing to challenge the intelligence establishment.  To speak openly about their coups, dirty wars, and crimes against humanity. 
Saying the Bush administration knew about it before it happened is borderline psychotic and has no place in responsible discussions about politics. He's a truther, a paranoid fringe cultist, and should be labeled as such.

Disputing hokum is not being "uncritical" and those people deserve the epithets they get. 

At this point, quite honestly, a vote for ANY of the people on this list (or anyone for that matter) who ends up leading the 3rd party ticket is a good one imo.  We need to get the 3rd party to the 15% threshold so they get a voice in the National debates.  None of them have any shot at getting elected to the office so for me the individual doesn’t even matter in this election.  

At this point, quite honestly, a vote for ANY of the people on this list (or anyone for that matter) who ends up leading the 3rd party ticket is a good one imo.  We need to get the 3rd party to the 15% threshold so they get a voice in the National debates.  None of them have any shot at getting elected to the office so for me the individual doesn’t even matter in this election.  
been my song a long time - i've only voted for major-party candidates twice since 1972.

little of it matters as long as money is speech & truth is up for grabs, so we should be thinking long-term on this.  there has to be an issue or approach that links the forgottens and young disaffecteds. it's probably going to be something along the order of the drone-economy stuff Andrew Yang talks about. believe it or not, thirty years ago, America was alarmed by deficit spending. that's how Ross Perot got so far - plain-talking the debt and a bunch of other simple-math answers to problems - even though he was a squeaky paranoid gremlin.

once we find that approach, then it's gotta actually be a party. run some folks for USRep in vulnerable districts, some local-office candidates in places where there's a real fervor. the greatest hope for a 3rd party is to have some structure when America finally asks, "Who else can we turn to?". This would all work a lot better if we had a new-age billionaire who wants to change the world without his face being all over it but, if those kind existed, we'da probably already found one.

once we find that approach, then it's gotta actually be a party. run some folks for USRep in vulnerable districts, some local-office candidates in places where there's a real fervor. the greatest hope for a 3rd party is to have some structure when America finally asks, "Who else can we turn to?". This would all work a lot better if we had a new-age billionaire who wants to change the world without his face being all over it but, if those kind existed, we'da probably already found one.
I've been coming up with the same conclusions about running a few reps, but we definitely need it to be under a third party and not the democrats with the DCCC blacklisting anyone who helps primary a sitting dem. 

The Greens are a mess here and I've been keeping an eye on Nick Brana's "Movement for a People's Party" but it seems like that is more movement and less party so far... not sure it's ever going anywhere unfortunately.  

i would like the talk to begin around what a citizen is. it's becoming that the individual is not very far behind the corporation in general venality - there's probably a connection there, but it's becoming bigger than us.

I’m an Independent. I thought to myself, what’s the worst that could happen with either of these candidates I didn’t like in 2016 and stayed home? With Trump, I had anticipated more of the same as previous years with a big wealth transfer to billionaires (which we’re obviously getting). Couldn’t have imagined we would have a pandemic raging and a president spending most of his time to continue to divide us during this time. Both red & blue have dug in and it’s baffling to me, but I’ve got to look at the leadership, which makes it more understandable to me.

I’m hulled up in Florida right now, and if I’m still here by the end of the summer, we’re going to register to vote here, where our vote will actually matter unlike NYC (6 months and we’re technically residents, approaching 2); it will 100% be Sleepy Joe. Not a Biden fan, but I’d take a hamster running in a cage at this point if he were the one who could end this nightmare. 

I wonder what percentage of 2016 3rd partiers have reached a similar conclusion?
Wasn't a 3rd party vote in 2016, I just sat out the election. That being said, I am voting Biden this year solely due to Trump being the opposition. I'm not a fan of Biden at all though and think the 2 party system needs to be blown up so definitely could see myself voting 3rd party in 2024, but I'm not making the same mistake of not voting against Trump again this year.

Jesse Ventura @GovJVentura

OK, I've decided I'm going to test the waters. IF I were going to run for president, the GREEN party would be my first choice. I've endorsed the party and I'm testing the waters. #mondaythoughts #MondayMorning #MondayMotivaton #MondayMood

To be clear: I haven't filed anything. I authorized a letter of interest that was sent on my behalf to the Greens and I'm testing the waters for Green Party nomination. I'm an independent. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican because I know they're not the solution.

ren hoek said:
Jesse Ventura @GovJVentura

OK, I've decided I'm going to test the waters. IF I were going to run for president, the GREEN party would be my first choice. I've endorsed the party and I'm testing the waters. #mondaythoughts #MondayMorning #MondayMotivaton #MondayMood

To be clear: I haven't filed anything. I authorized a letter of interest that was sent on my behalf to the Greens and I'm testing the waters for Green Party nomination. I'm an independent. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican because I know they're not the solution.
I'm in.

"Our economy is based on war, on feeding the war machine. That's why we’re always ready for a fight with missiles, but when it comes to fighting against a virus, we’re the least prepared. The way COVID relief money is being dispersed, the American middle class will disappear, and there won't be any accountability. Our largest banks were supposed to process paycheck protection loans on a first come, first serve basis, but big banks don’t represent Middle Class America. Why are we seeing places receive money they don't need and then it's left up to them to decide if they want to return it? The banks bailed out the rich first, not the small businesses. With the fiscal disparity that’s going on right now, we’re going to be left with two classes: the rich and the poor. We’re going to become a third world nation if our money keeps going to large corporations in the hopes that it’ll trickle down to the rest of us." - Jesse Ventura on his Facebook page

Users who are viewing this thread