What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 3rd Party/Independent 2020 Voters Thread (1 Viewer)

Guess he doesn't hate Trump as president all that much.
He hates ####ty choices like a lot of us.

Justin Amash

@justinamash

·

37m

This election is too important for Donald Trump or Joe Biden to be running for president. But they have the right to run like anyone else. The answer to bad candidates is not to keep others off the ballot, but rather to give the people honest, practical, and capable alternatives.

Amash has no chance to win this year. If Trump wasn't on the ballot, I'd probably be okay with voting Amash but not this year. As sad as it is, Trump or Biden is winning 2020. It's not worth throwing away a vote to increase the chances of another 4 years of Trump. If Amash were to run in 2024, I'd happily consider him.

Bucsfan5493 said:
Amash has no chance to win this year. If Trump wasn't on the ballot, I'd probably be okay with voting Amash but not this year. As sad as it is, Trump or Biden is winning 2020. It's not worth throwing away a vote to increase the chances of another 4 years of Trump. If Amash were to run in 2024, I'd happily consider him.
Agreed, if he runs in '24, he's got my vote. Not this time. This time it is going towards the best chance at defeating Donald Trump.

Getzlaf15 said:
He hates ####ty choices like a lot of us.

Justin Amash

@justinamash

·

37m

This election is too important for Donald Trump or Joe Biden to be running for president. But they have the right to run like anyone else. The answer to bad candidates is not to keep others off the ballot, but rather to give the people honest, practical, and capable alternatives.
Fair enough. Just save the “disappointed” and “concerned” tweets when Trump is re-elected because just enough people peel off voting Biden because “they’re essentially the same.”

Fair enough. Just save the “disappointed” and “concerned” tweets when Trump is re-elected because just enough people peel off voting Biden because “they’re essentially the same.”
Never would tweet something like that.  I don't let any Pres have that much affect on my life.  

Bucsfan5493 said:
Not voting for a rapist.  Thanks.  

Bucsfan5493 said:
It most certainly is worth it to not vote for a rapist.

Ventura is somehow like a less intelligent version of Trump. He drove the Minnesota economy into the ground. He's a truther. 
Efficient and effective governance isn't the what current 3rd party voters are interested in, IMO. They just want someone to rage against the machine. :shrug:

I'll happily vote for Justin Amash while everybody else votes for their preferred rapist.
I won`t vote for Trump, but Biden has some skeletons in his closet too.   I might be looking third party for the first time.  Would love to see Bernie go rogue and third party.   Might be able to beat Trump and Biden now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won`t vote for Trump, but Biden has some skeletons in his closet too.   I might be looking third party for the first time.  Would love to see Bernie go rogue and third party.   Might be able to beat Trump and Biden now.
He won't, Chris Hedges told a story the other day that he and a few others talked to him about it and he said he had no interest in being Ralph Nader

my fave of the day:

Hannah Cox

@HannahCox7

·

19h

Let me be real sparkling crystal clear. A vote for Amash is not taking a vote away from Biden or Trump because I don’t vote for sleazy old dirtbags with gross big government policies under any circumstance.

Got it, sellouts?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/01/former-minnesota-gov-jesse-ventura-calls-comparisons-with-trump-hogwash

But today, Ventura, who also has a home in Mexico, differs with Trump on the president's immigration policies and his push for a border wall with Mexico.

"I'm offended worse than the Mexicans are, I think, over what he says, calling them all criminals, calling them this, calling them that," he said. "These are refugees as a result of the blowback of United States policies in Central America. Yet mainstream media won't go that deep, will they?"

Bosacker said a key difference with the president was Ventura's embrace of the state's increasing diversity. He said the governor worked with new immigrant populations and believed marginalized groups should be included in policy making. //

On the governing front, he picked a bipartisan Cabinet, pushed the Legislature to enact property tax reform and to fund the state's first light rail line. He also led trade missions to China and Cuba and sent some of the state's budget surplus back to taxpayers in what were called "Jesse checks." //
Wow he's literally just like Trump

"Because my policies were so sound, they needed to find the Achilles heel," said Ventura. "You notice they never wrote anything when I spent the weekend baling hay for $3 a bale helping my wife with the ranch. There was no publicity on that all weekend when I'd work baling hay, was there? But if I took a high-profile job, then they were all aghast. 'How could he do this?' And it never cost Minnesota a penny."

Ventura did need extra security, resulting in unexpected overtime costs.

Coverage of that and his outside activities led to Ventura's combative relationship with the media. The governor gave political reporters a special nickname.

Gov. Jesse Ventura nicknamed the media "jackals". His office distributed "Official Jackal" press passes to the Capitol press corps, who then created media jackal t-shirts for themselves. Laura McCallum was MPR News' Capitol Bureau Chief at the time, and an official jackal.

"Like a sports team name," he said during one of his weekly radio shows. "Go, jackals go! Write some bs, jackals! Write some bs!"

Ventura's office issued "Official Jackal" press badges with Ventura's photo on them to the Capitol press corps, which included KSTP political reporter Tom Hauser.

"The people in the press corps who got along the best with him were the ones who could tell when he was joking and when he was not. And most of the time, he was joking," Hauser said this week. "But people would take it very literally &mdash some members of the press corps — and he had no time for people like that."
Ok -- maybe he's a little like Trump.  But that goes for just about any 'larger than life' personality.  You can hear him talk about the 'media jackals' trope in this interview, pretty hysterical.  Also he just registered with the MN Green Party!

I approve of voting for a 3rd party only if you were otherwise just going to stay home and have zero preference between the big 2.  Better a protest vote than a no vote.

I approve of voting for a 3rd party only if you were otherwise just going to stay home and have zero preference between the big 2.  Better a protest vote than a no vote.
Approximately 2/3 of Americans are in states that are not swing states.

I'm not staying home. Even though I have a strong preference between the major parties options, it doesn't matter. So unless Texas is somehow relevant in the race overall, I'm voting my top choice.

I'm not staying home. Even though I have a strong preference between the major parties options, it doesn't matter. So unless Texas is somehow relevant in the race overall, I'm voting my top choice.
That's how I feel in NY... Biden is up by 30%+ last I checked. At least a vote to the Greens may help them get over the 5% funding threshold.

Texas is absolutely in play. 

There is no excuse for not voting for one of the two. A third party vote is a waste until an option shows a pulse in pre-election polling.

There is no excuse for not voting for one of the two. A third party vote is a waste until an option shows a pulse in pre-election polling.
I disagree.  Every election, many always have a reason to not for a 3rd party.  It's never "the right time," and while voting for a 3rd party does, in some ways, feel like throwing your vote away and shoveling #### against the tide, if enough people tire of how corrupt and shameless the two major parties are, perhaps 3rd parties will have more of a shot in the future of making a dent and chipping away at the grip the GOP and Democrats have on us.

I disagree.  Every election, many always have a reason to not for a 3rd party.  It's never "the right time," and while voting for a 3rd party does, in some ways, feel like throwing your vote away and shoveling #### against the tide, if enough people tire of how corrupt and shameless the two major parties are, perhaps 3rd parties will have more of a shot in the future of making a dent and chipping away at the grip the GOP and Democrats have on us.
I badly want a third party option. But election day is not the battleground at this point and won't be for a long while. The work on that front needs to be done elsewhere before it makes sense to spend votes, imo. Polling will light the way.

There is no excuse for not voting for one of the two. 
Why?  Justin Amash is literally the only candidate in the race who is not cognitively compromised.  That's not even a joke -- there's very obviously something wrong with both Trump and Biden, and that seems like a fairly big deal to me.

Why?  Justin Amash is literally the only candidate in the race who is not cognitively compromised.  That's not even a joke -- there's very obviously something wrong with both Trump and Biden, and that seems like a fairly big deal to me.
I agree with you. And if he's polling competitively leading up to the election, I will change my tune.

That Catch-22 has been squelching options for the 50 years i've been following politics and is behind only the money lined up against the common citizen in preventing America from choice in how they are governed. VOTE CONSCIENCE - ALWAYS VOTE CONSCIENCE!!

The only way trump wins is by a strong third party (or 4th, or 5th) run. 

don’t let Ren fool you. This is all designed to help Trump. 
Amash is a wash, in partisan terms. He's Freedom Caucus - a TeaPartyish congressional movement whose members included Jim Jordan, Ron DeSantis, Mick Mulvaney (cop-out) & Louis frikkin Gohmert - Republican, a Dubya conservative. He is as likely to draw Republicans embarrassed by Trump as he is disaffected Dems. He has nothing in common w Democrats except a taste for honest process.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everyone who wanted a strong third party actually voted for a third party, we'd have a strong third party. Maybe not strong enough to win, but strong enough to make a big difference.

That’s circular logic.  No third party is ever going to make it until people realize how useless the major parties are. 

Why did the Democrats have to nominate another politician that shilled the Iraq War, Patriot Act, drug war, bailouts, the financial services industry etc.  Is this what Democrats crave?  It’s like policy doesn’t mean anything to them anymore.  They look like abused stepchildren standing next to Joe Biden.  

It’s been beaten into their heads that Biden is the best shot to ‘beat Trump,’ and that beating Trump is paramount, not any singular policies like wars (which Biden would continue) or singlepayer healthcare (which Biden would veto) or mass incarceration (which Biden supports) or environmental issues (which Biden would do nothing about).  Well yeah- any election in the history of the world has been about actually winning the election.  But what’s the point if they’re both owned by the same special interests.  

Neither of the Democrats & Republicans are going to deliver on these issues.  So I’m done with them.  

That Catch-22 has been squelching options for the 50 years i've been following politics and is behind only the money lined up against the common citizen in preventing America from choice in how they are governed. VOTE CONSCIENCE - ALWAYS VOTE CONSCIENCE!!

Amash is a wash, in partisan terms. He's Freedom Caucus - a TeaPartyish congressional movement whose members included Jim Jordan, Ron DeSantis, Mick Mulvaney (cop-out) & Louis frikkin Gohmert - Republican, a Dubya conservative. He is as likely to draw Republicans embarrassed by Trump as he is disaffected Dems. He has nothing in common w Democrats except a taste for honest process.
The danger isn't that he's going to draw disaffected Dems.  The danger is that he gives disaffected R's a place to vote instead of Biden.  

Think of the math:  Trump's ceiling is probably around 43%, but so is his floor.  He's got a "baked-in" base that isn't going anywhere.  But he's likely not getting above 43-44%.  In a two person race, he's going to have a lot of trouble. 

If you add a third option, then 43% doesn't look too bad. I'm convinced Amash helps Trump. 

That’s circular logic.  No third party is ever going to make it until people realize how useless the major parties are.  
I've said this before, multiple multiple times.  But I'll say again, I guess:  The way we elect representatives in this country cannot sustain three parties.  It is different in other countries that let you vote for a slate of people, or let you rank your preferences.  But the winner take all format, along with the way representative bodies such as Congress works, means that any third party that breaks out in any meaningful way will always form a coalition with one of the two "established" parties.  Now, the third party COULD gobble up one of those other established parties, but that just means you have a "new" two party system, NOT a three party system. 

The. Math. Doesn't. Work. 

The danger isn't that he's going to draw disaffected Dems.  The danger is that he gives disaffected R's a place to vote instead of Biden.  

Think of the math:  Trump's ceiling is probably around 43%, but so is his floor.  He's got a "baked-in" base that isn't going anywhere.  But he's likely not getting above 43-44%.  In a two person race, he's going to have a lot of trouble. 

If you add a third option, then 43% doesn't look too bad. I'm convinced Amash helps Trump. 
That's why i brought up the Freedom Caucus, which will be a factor should the (L)s put Amash forward. No-Biden's will swallow hard or stay home, not vote for the present equivalent of Eric Cantor

The fact that the Dems are pushing their candidate and platform to attract disaffected Republicans is exactly why people are interested in a third party

The fact that the Dems are pushing their candidate and platform to attract disaffected Republicans is exactly why people are interested in a third party
Also, apparently some people just love to lose and see the worst possible option on the ballot prevail.

I badly want a third party option. But election day is not the battleground at this point and won't be for a long while. The work on that front needs to be done elsewhere before it makes sense to spend votes, imo. Polling will light the way.
Perhaps, but I don't always trust the polls, an, to be honest, I have little hope that a 3rd party will made a dent any time soon, since the Dems and Republicans have enough money and resources to squash them before they, in a manner of speaking, are even conceived in the womb, but that doesn't mean we all have to bow down to them.  I have voted for both parties before in presidential elections (GOP in '00 and '12, Democrat in '04 and '08), but I don't see any way I vote for either this year.  I wouldn't vote for Trump under any circumstance, and Biden is too much of a train wreck right now (which was my stance long before these allegations picked up steam) to get my vote. 

i used to feel an obligation to vote in presidential races, would ask anyone with an opinion on national politics if they had voted before i would respond, but i no longer feel that way and have only voted twice this century. only voted twice (McGovern, Obama first run) for major party candidates from 1972-2008. When Obama got inhaled by June of his first term, i realized there would probably not be an answer at the top in my lifetime and quit national politics for all intents and purposes.

my heroes in life have been the Lone Ranger and Muhammed Ali. Ali has remained my hero my entire adult life cuz he never fought against anything, anyone. he didnt fight against Liston, he fought for a place in the sun. He didnt fight against the draft board, he fought for justice. against Frazier, Foreman, whoever, no - for the volume of his voice in the world. not even Parkinson's. Ali fought for life.

now that i dont feel an obligation to vote, i look for a candidate i can vote for, someone i would want to lead my country. i don't, i stay home. so far, i'm staying home.

i used to feel an obligation to vote in presidential races, would ask anyone with an opinion on national politics if they had voted before i would respond, but i no longer feel that way and have only voted twice this century. only voted twice (McGovern, Obama first run) for major party candidates from 1972-2008. When Obama got inhaled by June of his first term, i realized there would probably not be an answer at the top in my lifetime and quit national politics for all intents and purposes.

my heroes in life have been the Lone Ranger and Muhammed Ali. Ali has remained my hero my entire adult life cuz he never fought against anything, anyone. he didnt fight against Liston, he fought for a place in the sun. He didnt fight against the draft board, he fought for justice. against Frazier, Foreman, whoever, no - for the volume of his voice in the world. not even Parkinson's. Ali fought for life.

now that i dont feel an obligation to vote, i look for a candidate i can vote for, someone i would want to lead my country. i don't, i stay home. so far, i'm staying home.
You underappreciate the value of treading water.

wikkidpissah said:

He fought against interracial couples. That's for ####'s sure.

Users who are viewing this thread