What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fake Zappa (1 Viewer)

Mister America
Walk on by
Your supermarket dream
Mister America
Walk on by
The liquor store supreme
Mister America
Try to hide
The product of your savage pride
The useful minds that it denied
The day you shrugged and stepped aside
You saw their clothes and then you cried:
THOSE HUNGRY FREAKS, DADDY!

Well I'm about to get sick
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friends
Is anybody's guess

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
Even think I'll go to prayin'
Every time I hear 'em sayin'
That there's no way to delay
That trouble comin' every day
No way to delay
That trouble comin' every day

I'm not a well-read person, but my favorite quote from Zappa's autobioraphy went somthing like this:  "My curse upon you, may your #### come to life and kiss you."

The Bowie thread helped me find this Guitar Player story about David trying to borrow/steal Frank's guitarist:

Thanks to Brian Eno’s advice after seeing Adrian Belew onstage during a Frank Zappa concert, Bowie offered to hire Belew once the Zappa tour was finished. Belew recalled on his Facebook page how he met Bowie in Berlin during one of the shows. 

“So I walked over to David Bowie, shook his hand and said, ‘I love what you’ve done, thank you for all the music.’ And he said, ‘Great, how would you like to be in my band?’ I motioned back towards Frank and said, ‘Well, I’m kind of playing with that guy.’ David laughed and said, ‘Yes, I know, but when Frank’s tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?’”

Later, he said, “We arrived at the restaurant, went in the front door, and who should be sitting at the very first table but Frank Zappa and the rest of the band! So the three of us sat down with Frank and the band. David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, ‘Quite a guitar player you have here Frank.’

“And Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’ (Note: Frank had demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.)

“David persisted, ‘Oh come on now Frank, surely we can be gentleman about this?’

“Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’

“By this point I was paralyzed. David said, ‘So you really have nothing to say?’ Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’

“David and Coco and I got up and went back out the front door. Getting in the limo David said in his wonderfully British way, ‘I thought that went rather nicely!’ ”

The Bowie thread helped me find this Guitar Player story about David trying to borrow/steal Frank's guitarist:

Thanks to Brian Eno’s advice after seeing Adrian Belew onstage during a Frank Zappa concert, Bowie offered to hire Belew once the Zappa tour was finished. Belew recalled on his Facebook page how he met Bowie in Berlin during one of the shows. 

“So I walked over to David Bowie, shook his hand and said, ‘I love what you’ve done, thank you for all the music.’ And he said, ‘Great, how would you like to be in my band?’ I motioned back towards Frank and said, ‘Well, I’m kind of playing with that guy.’ David laughed and said, ‘Yes, I know, but when Frank’s tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?’”

Later, he said, “We arrived at the restaurant, went in the front door, and who should be sitting at the very first table but Frank Zappa and the rest of the band! So the three of us sat down with Frank and the band. David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, ‘Quite a guitar player you have here Frank.’

“And Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’ (Note: Frank had demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.)

“David persisted, ‘Oh come on now Frank, surely we can be gentleman about this?’

“Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’

“By this point I was paralyzed. David said, ‘So you really have nothing to say?’ Frank said, ‘#### you, Captain Tom.’

“David and Coco and I got up and went back out the front door. Getting in the limo David said in his wonderfully British way, ‘I thought that went rather nicely!’ ”
I never knew this story but Belew's time with Frank way too short. They are some of my favorite FZ shows. I've never been a big Bowie fan but I did know Belew played with him, Didn't realize it was right after the Mothers. I always thought he went from Zappa to the Talking Heads (also too short lived) before this time with Fripp and King Crimson.

I never knew/ why Belew/ got the push that they would do/when trying to get hip/to the underbelly all-worn Frank and his crew/But what would you do? What would you do? Simply rot on the vine with some Spirit Agnew?

Users who are viewing this thread