What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has the cure become worse than the disease? (1 Viewer)

Has the cure become worse than the disease?

• Yes

Votes: 55 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 159 67.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Total voters
It’s interesting how you continue to dismiss 2000+ people a day dying, the #1 killer of America everyday right now and 50k in 4 weeks.  Who again is the one with a political agenda and false narrative here?  I think the answer is extraordinarily clear for anyone without a political agenda.  
But the economy!

The economy is useless if nobody is around to spend money. Better some sharp pain now, instead of dragging it out. It's like taking a bandaid off, just rip it off and deal with that pain instead of a slow pull. 

But the economy!

The economy is useless if nobody is around to spend money. Better some sharp pain now, instead of dragging it out. It's like taking a bandaid off, just rip it off and deal with that pain instead of a slow pull. 
I just love the irony of those with a political agenda bashing those with political agenda.  The blindspots are just mind blowing.   

I just love the irony of those with a political agenda bashing those with political agenda.  The blindspots are just mind blowing.   
I don't even believe that there's a political agenda in keeping things closed. Think about it: "Let's keep everyone cooped up for an indeterminate amount of time for a pandemic, then while the virus is still killing thousands a day in this country, let's not reopen too early so people can remain safe, but the economy will suffer in the short term." That's literally what's happening with both Democrat and Republican governors, and there's apparently a liberal political agenda behind it all. That defies logic.

I don't even believe that there's a political agenda in keeping things closed. Think about it: "Let's keep everyone cooped up for an indeterminate amount of time for a pandemic, then while the virus is still killing thousands a day in this country, let's not reopen too early so people can remain safe, but the economy will suffer in the short term." That's literally what's happening with both Democrat and Republican governors, and there's apparently a liberal political agenda behind it all. That defies logic.
Yeah, clearly nothing to see as far as a political agenda......🤯

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/767110-trump-opponents-would-you-rather-have-a-recession-or-trump-re-election/?tab=comments#comment-21110712

C'mon guys, it's totally a librul conspiracy to get unemployed and broke in order to make the stable genius look...how, exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, clearly nothing to see as far as a political agenda......🤯

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/767110-trump-opponents-would-you-rather-have-a-recession-or-trump-re-election/?tab=comments#comment-21110712
Would you kindly explain the link between a hypothetical poll from June of 2018 on an internet message board asking about a recession and the pandemic that is going on right now, in real life, and the decisions being being made by GOP and Dem Governors to do what they feel is best in battling said pandemic?

Would you kindly explain the link between a hypothetical poll from June of 2018 on an internet message board asking about a recession and the pandemic that is going on right now, in real life, and the decisions being being made by GOP and Dem Governors to do what they feel is best in battling said pandemic?
If it voted in that manner I would desperately try to separate myself from it too, well done. Political agendas are sadly always in play in here, 24/7. Very sad. 

What happened to the predictions of us having 2 Million deaths?

Or us having a ventilator shortage?

Or a death rate that was expected to be 3%?

Doom and gloom prognostications are not getting old, they are ruining lives unnecessarily.  

Shame on the liberal media for pedaling lies and creating false narratives for a political agenda.
The media is powerful enough to corral Trump into guidelines?  Interesting.....

I would try to convince myself the same if I took that position. Glad I didn’t and never would. 
Oh, I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to your reply, the one where you didn't answer the request for a shown link and chose a non sequitur point to make. Now, as for me, I didn't vote in that poll, didn't even check out the thread(I think I wasn't checking out FBG at that time, but I digress), but I can bet at that time the OP posted it, they had no idea that a pandemic would happen within the next 2 year's, bringing with it a recession fueled at least partly by the inadequate response to it. So if you can in fact establish a link between that thread and the governors now having to step into leadership roles thanks to Trump's abdication of responsibility, that would be very impressive.

Oh, I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to your reply, the one where you didn't answer the request for a shown link and chose a non sequitur point to make. Now, as for me, I didn't vote in that poll, didn't even check out the thread(I think I wasn't checking out FBG at that time, but I digress), but I can bet at that time the OP posted it, they had no idea that a pandemic would happen within the next 2 year's, bringing with it a recession fueled at least partly by the inadequate response to it. So if you can in fact establish a link between that thread and the governors now having to step into leadership roles thanks to Trump's abdication of responsibility, that would be very impressive.
You having to try this hard proves my point just fine. Your agenda is clear. 

You having to try this hard proves my point just fine. Your agenda is clear. 
What agenda would that be? Is it the one where I don't like being lied to by people in high positions who are not effective leaders? Or is it the one where I am trying to find the truth about a deadly pandemic, so I can keep my family healthy?

, but there is actually a widely used statistical method for measuring incremental fatalities based on what would be the expected baseline for that time period.
same people who said Hillary was going to win in 2016 ?

same people who said we'd see 1-2 million covid-19 deaths in the USA ?

Let me straight up ask - in 2022 there will be another virus - it will kill 50-60,000 American's and the cost is a 5-6 trillion dollar bailout package and 10-15 trillion in economic impact, 5-7% jump in unemployment etc

Would you be ok with doing all this again for 50-60,000 ?

Let me straight up ask - in 2022 there will be another virus - it will kill 50-60,000 American's and the cost is a 5-6 trillion dollar bailout package and 10-15 trillion in economic impact, 5-7% jump in unemployment etc

No not the same as polls in 2016 (which were statistically accurate as far as nationwide polling...but not sure what that has to do with this).

1-2 million?  Already been discussed every tome its been brought up even by you...those were models based on not taking the measures we have...
And yes...if it keeps 1-2 million from dying...yes we do it again...and 60,000 will be in a months time with drastic measures taken.  

No not the same as polls in 2016 (which were statistically accurate as far as nationwide polling...but not sure what that has to do with this).

1-2 million?  Already been discussed every tome its been brought up even by you...those were models based on not taking the measures we have...
And yes...if it keeps 1-2 million from dying...yes we do it again...and 60,000 will be in a months time with drastic measures taken.  
Give it up, sho. The game is misinformation, disinformation, delusion, and narcissism. They won't have a genuine conversation because when they get backed into a corner, they fight, claw, name call, and laugh, and then claim the previous. You can talk till you're blue in the face, inform them as best you can, but they will still believe Hannity, Rush, Epoch Times, and FOX News. They'd rather be uneducated and call you dumb, than have a genuine discussion.

What happened to the predictions of us having 2 Million deaths?

Or us having a ventilator shortage?

Or a death rate that was expected to be 3%?

Doom and gloom prognostications are not getting old, they are ruining lives unnecessarily.  

Shame on the liberal media for pedaling lies and creating false narratives for a political agenda.
You can't pretend that things would be the same without this extreme mitigation.

The problem with your argument is that you can't imagine anything worse.   I'm sure the vision of business as usual under the scenario you are dreaming about is pretty far from what reality would have been.

WTF?!?!  :lmao:

This has NOTHING to do with polling of any sort.

Has anyone accused conservatives of wanting society opened up solely because that is the only way Trump will get re-elected?
Mr Anyonymous was the closest to doing this making blanket statements about the motives of Governors if they didn't interpret the vague "guidelines" the same way he did, though he only mentioned his state specifically.  Taking the position to its logical end would mean the other side of his coin is exactly what you describe here. If the Dems are doing it for political reasons, so are the GOPers.  I don't buy either position, but it's out there.

People are losing their jobs in carloads, including my wife, who has been with the same company for 32 years.

Yah I think the cure is too harsh.  I thought this before she lost her job.  I just don't can't get behind the "if we save one life" mentality when I see so many people who will be unable to feed themselves, or pay their rent.  

Save me the "if it was your wife who was sick you wouldn't feel that way"  Yes that's 100% true.  But it isn't true right now. So as of RIGHT NOW I think the cure is way way overboard.

This sucks hard.  

People are losing their jobs in carloads, including my wife, who has been with the same company for 32 years.

Yah I think the cure is too harsh.  I thought this before she lost her job.  I just don't can't get behind the "if we save one life" mentality when I see so many people who will be unable to feed themselves, or pay their rent.  

Save me the "if it was your wife who was sick you wouldn't feel that way"  Yes that's 100% true.  But it isn't true right now. So as of RIGHT NOW I think the cure is way way overboard.

This sucks hard.  
Are you saying:

As long as no immediate family member of mine dies, the cure is worse.

I just want to make sure I’m understanding that right without putting words in your mouth.

ETA: sorry about your wife’s job, btw. 

Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife lost her job of over 30 years as well. Myy son also lost his job, and was hoping to be planning a wedding soon.

We're all in this together.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife lost her job of over 30 years as well. So has my son, who was hoping to be planning a wedding soon.

We're all in this together.
Thanks man.  i wish no ill will on anyone and certainly don't want to see anyone die.  It just stinks.  We saved well and can pay our bills for quite sometime.  But i really feel for those that cant.  This will be unbearable for sometime.

Thanks man.  i wish no ill will on anyone and certainly don't want to see anyone die.  It just stinks.  We saved well and can pay our bills for quite sometime.  But i really feel for those that cant.  This will be unbearable for sometime.
In the end we all want the same thing, no matter what "team" colors we wear. We just have different views on how to handle it, really.

Good luck to your family and especially your wife. I know mine's on her phone right now trying to get through to unemployment while I start yet another day working (no, really) from home.

Stay safe!

I've been out discussions here for a month or so.  

Partly because COVID-19 is the only thing to talk about. 

Partly because the conversation is always the same.  

I'm conservative and historically pro-Trump for anyone who hasn't interacted with me. 

The cure is not worse than the disease.  It's easy to say today "we'll take some risk."  I guess the question at the end of the day is how much money is your mother's life worth?  If you've got a number, there's no convincing you otherwise.  

The numbers are bad--and they're so much better than they could be.  "The cure" is preventing the real disaster of extrapolating our already disastrous death tolls.  

Shut up.  Stay home.  Or go to Lowes like everyone else seems to be doing.  

This sucks hard.  
Sorry to hear about your wife's job. 

I agree that we can't continue to keep everything shut down for months upon months. That being said, people also have to understand that when things start opening back up, there's going to be a new normal and a very likely chance that the economy isn't just going to immediately rebound as many people will still be very cautious to go out and spend money like they were before. 

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home (and live in Georgia where restaurants and movie theaters are beginning to open back up today) but my company has already said that when we open the office back up (doesn't sound like for at least another couple of weeks), we will be going in shifts of people so only about 30% of the office will actually be going in on a given day. I expect this to be the norm for the companies that do have the work from home flexibility and I think it also paints the broader picture that a good portion of people will continue staying home similar to what they've been doing over the past month or so.

I'm very interested to see how the companies do that open back up in Georgia and other states that are beginning to limit the restrictions. It will be great that some people will be getting their jobs back, but I'm pretty concerned about the negative effects that could result as well. Some of the places that are opening up just make absolutely no sense and are going to be very difficult to practice social distancing in such as nail salons, barber shops and bowling alleys. In a perfect world, everyone would follow social distance protocols and be wearing masks when going out but unfortunately as we've seen during these protests and even in our day to day lives, that's just not going to be the case. Some people still think it's blown out of proportion, aren't' educated on the topic or think they're at a low risk to get it so don't care to buy protective equipment and follow safe measures. While this is just a small portion of the population, we've seen it doesn't take a ton of people in close proximity for this to start spreading like wildfire and I'm concerned that this small percentage will cause the rest of us problems. 

I'm conservative and historically pro-Trump for anyone who hasn't interacted with me. 

The cure is not worse than the disease.  It's easy to say today "we'll take some risk."  I guess the question at the end of the day is how much money is your mother's life worth?  If you've got a number, there's no convincing you otherwise.  

The numbers are bad--and they're so much better than they could be.  "The cure" is preventing the real disaster of extrapolating our already disastrous death tolls.  

These are the "hotspots" around me....Lowes and Home Depot.  There are more people in those stores now than during hurricane season.  I don't know what changed, but this weekend was absolute madness.  The only reason I was even out was because of a leak in our upstairs tub.  I have no idea what people are doing in the stores...they're busier than the Walmart.  As this fiasco moves forward and the stupid continues, the only shot our family has is to try and go to the stores during the week and then stay home the whole weekend.  I'm not going anywhere near those places on a weekend....so dumb.

models that were reported as accurate - EVERYTHING changes, there are fluctuations continually which is why models are rarely accurate

remember, models are NOT accurate, they're guesses 

its models, its polling, its media releasing what if's and what might be's 

and they're wrong, a lot
If by "they're" you mean the media, I agree.  The rest, no...not at all.  When a model says "if you don't do X you'll have 1000 deaths on your hands" it isn't "wrong" when we actually DO X and have less than 1000 deaths.  That's not how those things work and it's dishonest to suggest otherwise.

And IIRC, you are in the medical field?

And yes...a lot of people at home depot places...but I will give them credit there...limiting how many people come in to the store and doing a decent job at least at ours of moving people through the store to keep distancing.  I wouldn't have went...but had to have a new wax ring to replace in a leaky toilet.  Always fun.

models that were reported as accurate - EVERYTHING changes, there are fluctuations continually which is why models are rarely accurate

remember, models are NOT accurate, they're guesses 
Polls were reported as polls...they are a probability of things (and most national ones hit pretty close or withing the margin of error...they were statistically solid).

Also...the models were based on not taking the distancing measures we have taken.  And yes...they get adjusted as people start changing their behavior...that is the nature of science.

Remember...the guesses are based on legitimate science...not lies meant to hurt you and Trump.  And you still can't seem to acknowledge that the numbers discussed were if we didn't stay at home and didn't keep distancing and so on.  Want to see what the models look like about how fast hospitals can be overrun if we return too soon?  Worst case...46 days if the transmission rate spikes...

https://www.wkrn.com/community/health/coronavirus/vanderbilt-releases-new-projections-about-covid-19-spread-after-economic-re-open/

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennesseans-researchers-share-concerns-over-reopening-state

Also...if you read the quotes in those...those who do these studies admit from the start they can't know for sure...that its based on historical data of respiratory illnesses.  That its based on what they have seen from this virus in places.

These are the "hotspots" around me....Lowes and Home Depot.  There are more people in those stores now than during hurricane season.  I don't know what changed, but this weekend was absolute madness.  The only reason I was even out was because of a leak in our upstairs tub.  I have no idea what people are doing in the stores...they're busier than the Walmart.  As this fiasco moves forward and the stupid continues, the only shot our family has is to try and go to the stores during the week and then stay home the whole weekend.  I'm not going anywhere near those places on a weekend....so dumb.
I don't get it. My wife wanted us to go to Home Depot yesterday (we didn't). She wanted to get "supplies" ( :shrug: ). I told her the only things I really need are more charcoal and maybe some smoke wood. LOL.

I don't get it. My wife wanted us to go to Home Depot yesterday (we didn't). She wanted to get "supplies" ( :shrug: ). I told her the only things I really need are more charcoal and maybe some smoke wood. LOL.
Its part of why I won't just start going places right away when the stay at home orders are over.  Because the first people that will be heading out are the ones that are less likely to have been taking any of this seriously and the ones that will go back to doing things how they did before.  The people most likely, IMO, to be the cause of a 2nd wave of this.

And IIRC, you are in the medical field?

And yes...a lot of people at home depot places...but I will give them credit there...limiting how many people come in to the store and doing a decent job at least at ours of moving people through the store to keep distancing.  I wouldn't have went...but had to have a new wax ring to replace in a leaky toilet.  Always fun.
Yeah.  We’ve been blessed in my neck of the woods.  We have 3-5 cases at a time and only a handful have been critically ill.

I think our community is doing a good job of social distancing/staying at home.

But everyone is at Lowes.  As you said, they’re doing a good job.  Only so many in at a time.  Waiting spots are marked off 6 feet apart.

My wife and I moved into a new house a few months ago and worms are coming into the basement when it rains.  So I’ve learned what weather stripping is and how much of a pain it is to replace.  (Though it’s probably easier for most other people.)

A) I don't believe this will end up being just 50,000 - 60,000.

B) I would hope that those who are dismissing this as "only 50,000 - 60,000 and get back to doing what we normally do" would take the time to actually see this particular non vaccine/non defensible by human immune system virus (so far) as a reach teachable moment to start to prepare and reform human society to be able to better handle one that kills 5 - 6M in the same timeframe.  To that, I think this is where "pro- GET BACK TO WORK AND STOP BEING SUCH A WIMP" are complexly visionless.  I'm not saying this isn't a serious virus...as I don't know...… but it has given us a practice run for something way more serious....and this should be used as a real teachable and transformative moment...….not as just political fodder to try to keep Trump in the White House for another term.  

Yeah.  We’ve been blessed in my neck of the woods.  We have 3-5 cases at a time and only a handful have been critically ill.

I think our community is doing a good job of social distancing/staying at home.

But everyone is at Lowes.  As you said, they’re doing a good job.  Only so many in at a time.  Waiting spots are marked off 6 feet apart.

My wife and I moved into a new house a few months ago and worms are coming into the basement when it rains.  So I’ve learned what weather stripping is and how much of a pain it is to replace.  (Though it’s probably easier for most other people.)
Haha yea...the wax ring toilet fix was only easy this time because it was the 2nd time I have done it...

A) I don't believe this will end up being just 50,000 - 60,000.

B) I would hope that those who are dismissing this as "only 50,000 - 60,000 and get back to doing what we normally do" would take the time to actually see this particular non vaccine/non defensible by human immune system virus (so far) as a reach teachable moment to start to prepare and reform human society to be able to better handle one that kills 5 - 6M in the same timeframe.  To that, I think this is where "pro- GET BACK TO WORK AND STOP BEING SUCH A WIMP" are complexly visionless.  I'm not saying this isn't a serious virus...as I don't know...… but it has given us a practice run for something way more serious....and this should be used as a real teachable and transformative moment...….not as just political fodder to try to keep Trump in the White House for another term.  
It will be over 60,000 by the weekend.  It sucks...

This sucks hard.  
This reply isn't about you, specifically, but rather the thought process. Allow me to try to write this out coherently:

Too many people are putting their jobs ahead of their health. You're ranting about people losing jobs at the, possible, cost of losing their life. When a society puts working above and beyond the health and liberty of people... that is a problem. And, if that is what people classify "Capitalism" as, then the morphing of what Capitalism has become is demonstrably dangerous, bad, and time to die itself.

You and others complain about having to stay home to stay healthy, when we all should be complaining about how we are enslaved to jobs that, try, to keep our lives going. The jobs we have should be looking out for our health and well-being... we the people shouldn't be looking out for the health of the economy above and beyond the health of our neighbor.

This whole phrase of the "cure is worse than the disease" need to look into where that phrase came from. Where did it originate and look at the guys background. Is this who you want to follow? Is this guys philosophy the one you agree with? The person, I believe, that began saying it during this crisis is Kevin D. Williamson. Is this who you want to follow?

And, look at who people are listening to when it comes to loosening restrictions. Hannity, makes $36 million a year. Carlson, makes $6 million a year but also part of the Swanson family. Some of you are listening to million/billionaires who care nothing about you. This list goes on.

This sucks hard.  
I'm really sorry about your wife. I keep thinking about the people who have lost jobs during this pandemic and how, whenever I've lost my job in the past, I wanted to get out there and start pounding the pavement right away. I'm sure that whatever you guys are going through must be compounded by the fact that it's much harder to do that right now.

And you're right, this whole thing sucks hard. I realized this weekend that it wasn't good for my mental health to spend all this time in the PSF arguing about this zero-sum issue of jobs vs. lives. (I mean, it's not good to spend as much time as I do in this forum for a number of reasons, but this is the life we have chosen). At least where we are right now, no matter what we do will result in lots of really horrific consequences, and I don't want to spend my time minimizing any of it or assigning blame. It's like we're all trapped on a deserted island arguing over which one of us we're all going to eat to keep the rest of the group alive. I'd much rather focus on getting the $#@#% off the island.

I still have a lot about this crisis that I'm trying to process, but to the extent that I continue posting on this board, it will be in the FFA and focus on things that can actually give me hope as opposed to bumming me out.

Good luck to both of you (and everyone else dealing with health/economic crises right now).

curbside delivery FTW.

I installed a couple ceiling fans over the weekend.  Picked out what we wanted on-line, and opted for curbside delivery.  They email you when your product is ready to go.  All you do is go to Lowes, park in the designated parking spot, call them up and give them the order number and your parking spot and an associate brings the parts out and loads into your trunk.  Zero face-to-face interaction necessary.

Yeah, it maybe takes a couple of hours for them to pull your parts but zero hassle.

This reply isn't about you, specifically, but rather the thought process. Allow me to try to write this out coherently:

Too many people are putting their jobs ahead of their health. You're ranting about people losing jobs at the, possible, cost of losing their life. When a society puts working above and beyond the health and liberty of people... that is a problem. And, if that is what people classify "Capitalism" as, then the morphing of what Capitalism has become is demonstrably dangerous, bad, and time to die itself.

You and others complain about having to stay home to stay healthy, when we all should be complaining about how we are enslaved to jobs that, try, to keep our lives going. The jobs we have should be looking out for our health and well-being... we the people shouldn't be looking out for the health of the economy above and beyond the health of our neighbor.

This whole phrase of the "cure is worse than the disease" need to look into where that phrase came from. Where did it originate and look at the guys background. Is this who you want to follow? Is this guys philosophy the one you agree with? The person, I believe, that began saying it during this crisis is Kevin D. Williamson. Is this who you want to follow?

And, look at who people are listening to when it comes to loosening restrictions. Hannity, makes $36 million a year. Carlson, makes $6 million a year but also part of the Swanson family. Some of you are listening to million/billionaires who care nothing about you. This list goes on.
I reject this.  The people who also are saying things like  we should shut everything down until June have JOBS and are in a position to say that.   So while it appears since you only mentioned Hannity and Carlson that only republicans are the ones that don't care, I would counter that isn't true.  It's super easy to tell people to stay home when you have a job that won't be impacted.

Users who are viewing this thread