What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has the cure become worse than the disease? (1 Viewer)

Has the cure become worse than the disease?

• Yes

Votes: 55 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 159 67.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Total voters
I can't believe you guys are actually having to go all the way back to the BOSTON TEA PARTY to find a correlation with the current absurdities that are taking place right now.
That SHOULD (although I know it wont) give you a little indication of how ineffective and wrong it is to protest in the manner that is taking place today.

Dying to know what news channel made this relationship that you are all quoting now.
Oh, the news channel I'm watching for this hard hitting info? It's middle school history class. Seriously, go back and read about the events that led up to the Revolution. Protesting government oppression is literally how our nation got started, and protesting similar oppression now is the most American thing they can do. Oh, and just to head off this particular rabbit trail, literally nobody here is defending riots or looting, so attempting to equate them with the peaceful protests is a nonstarter.

Oh, the news channel I'm watching for this hard hitting info? It's middle school history class. Seriously, go back and read about the events that led up to the Revolution. Protesting government oppression is literally how our nation got started, and protesting similar oppression now is the most American thing they can do. Oh, and just to head off this particular rabbit trail, literally nobody here is defending riots or looting, so attempting to equate them with the peaceful protests is a nonstarter.
Have to go back over 200 years.  Unreal---200 years!!!!!!!

I wonder if there were ever any peaceful protests that were successful since that time that didn't result in destruction. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Which thing in '63? Are you talking about MLK?
Yeah that seemed pretty effective and peaceful and no one was looted or died.

My point is(cant believe I have to spell this out but I have to understand where I am)

I find it hilarious that you guys have to go back centuries to find a riot / protest that used these methods and was a "good" one.  Justifying violence and looting and murder using the Boston Tea Party or the American Revolution  is just so silly.

There is ZERO justification for the violence and looting and murder happening in our cities.  ZERO.  Just as there was zero justification for the cop killing that poor man.

Stop it.  You look ridiculous trying to defend this

Which thing in '63? Are you talking about MLK?
Yeah that seemed pretty effective and peaceful and no one was looted or died.
I'm guessing that your source for US History didn't teach you about the Birmingham riot of 1963, then.

The conditions were not entirely dissimilar to what's happening now: whites commit violence against blacks; blacks (and white sympathizers) respond with peaceful demonstrations; minority of frustrated protesters turn to rioting.

Oh, and guess what happened? The supermikes of 1963 lumped all the protesters into one big category, wagged their figurative fingers, and said things like "This is ineffective and wrong!"

There was that thing back in '63.  Pretty peaceful.  I mean just throwing out one at random.
You have to be kidding. Those protests were met with all kinds of awful violence by those who refused to see them as equals. Fire hoses being set on them, dogs being set loose, oh and let's not forget the lynchings, because those were a thing, too.

I'm guessing that your source for US History didn't teach you about the Birmingham riot of 1963, then.

The conditions were not entirely dissimilar to what's happening now: whites commit violence against blacks; blacks (and white sympathizers) respond with peaceful demonstrations; minority of frustrated protesters turn to rioting.

Oh, and guess what happened? The supermikes of 1963 lumped all the protesters into one big category, wagged their figurative fingers, and said things like "This is ineffective and wrong!"
Oh brother.  You gonna school me now?  I love when you guys do this.  You're getting off the point, just to try and show you "smart " you are by pulling up this little factoid. It's not impressive.   If you have to go back over 200 years to find a justifying riot for what is happening today, then it clearly it is not an effective idea.

Point.   But thanks.  Yer super smert

You have to be kidding. Those protests were met with all kinds of awful violence by those who refused to see them as equals. Fire hoses being set on them, dogs being set loose, oh and let's not forget the lynchings, because those were a thing, too.
Yeah..There were SOOOO  many lynchings at that march. it was quite a scene.   

Lynchings at a protest?

So now we know you don't know about the civil rights movement as well. Good to know.
And you defend the rioters murderers and looters.  I think you're worse.  And don't you DARE say you don't...because you did multiple times, in this thread.

How dare you.  You should be ashamed.

Only reason I even popped into this conversation.  because I couldn't stand watching a person actually defend these riots using the Boston Tea Party.  SHM

John Blutarsky said:
Lynchings at a protest?
HUNDREDS of them I guess.  If you look at the mall, in the trees I guess there are a bunch of poor men hanging. But the media I guess didn't tell us about that during the march you see .

supermike80 said:
[scooter] said:

Oh brother.  You gonna school me now?  I love when you guys do this.  You're getting off the point, just to try and show you "smart " you are by pulling up this little factoid. It's not impressive.   If you have to go back over 200 years to find a justifying riot for what is happening today, then it clearly it is not an effective idea.
Sorry I corrected your false premise?

supermike80 said:
Kal El said:
So now we know you don't know about the civil rights movement as well. Good to know.
And you defend the rioters murderers and looters.  I think you're worse.  And don't you DARE say you don't...because you did multiple times, in this thread.

How dare you.  You should be ashamed
He never defended murderers. You're in meltdown territory here.

Sorry I corrected your false premise?
Which one?  The one where I said its laughable Kal needed to look back over 2000 years to find an effective riot where people were killed and property was looted and so on?  No..You didn;t do anything.  You showed you don't follow well is all.

supermike80 said:

How dare you.  You should be ashamed.

Only reason I even popped into this conversation.  because I couldn't stand watching a person actually defend these riots using the Boston Tea Party.  SHM
If you read anything I actually posted, I clearly stated that nobody is defending the rioters or looters, in fact I've said several times that the rioters and looters are part of the problem, but that wouldn't fit with your narrative, would it?

You attempt to put words in my mouth that I never said, to support your version of an argument I never defended. You are being dishonest, and you are the one who should be ashamed. 

I haven’t been keeping up with all of the threads lately — have any of them had a discussion about the gut reactions that different people have to the looting and rioting? I think everyone largely sees these things as bad, but it seems like certain people are much more incensed about it than others.  

And just so I’m not hiding the ball, I’d say I’m one of the people that isn’t especially concerned about people stealing some TVs from Target. Personally, I get much more outraged when I watch stuff like “Dirty Money” on Netflix — to me those are the really evil criminals.

ETA:  This was not intended as another Trump-bashing post.  I just realized that there are Dirty Money episodes about Trump and Jared Kushner but those aren’t the ones I was thinking about when I posted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

I don't see anything about rioting, looting, burning city blocks, killing people ..... nothing. 
Three days before the Boston Tea Party they set ablaze the Tea in Lexington. But they had the ocean to destroy the property in Boston. In both cases tea was historically thought to have been looted.   Killing people??? Well if you exclude the War of Independence.

https://colonialtimesmagazine.com/the-lexington-tea-burning/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

I don't see anything about rioting, looting, burning city blocks, killing people ..... nothing. 
I'm having a tough time distinguishing a legal or practical difference between "looting" and "destruction of private property (i.e. tea)".  In both cases, group X takes something belonging to group Y.  Seems to me the only difference is in what group X does with the property after taking it (keep for themselves versus destroy it).

Three days before the Boston Tea Party they set ablaze the Tea in Lexington. But they had the ocean to destroy the property in Boston. In both cases tea was was historically thought to have been looted.   Killing people??? Well if you exclude the War of Independence.

https://colonialtimesmagazine.com/the-lexington-tea-burning/

I'm having a tough time distinguishing a legal or practical difference between "looting" and "destruction of private property (i.e. tea)".  In both cases, group X takes something belonging to group Y.  Seems to me the only difference is in what group X does with the property after taking it (keep for themselves versus destroy it).
Just wait until Stealthy finds out about what they thought of and how they treated African Americans back then too.  Mind blown.   

It would be interesting to see another poll on this now that we are further down the "cure" path.  I'd definitely be changing my answer from "no" to "yes".  

It would be interesting to see another poll on this now that we are further down the "cure" path.  I'd definitely be changing my answer from "no" to "yes".  
You think the "lockdowns" are worse than the virus itself?  Huh, would have figured you for the opposite.
If you'll notice, we aren't doing what we are supposed to GB.  The "cure" here, so far has been to create "guidelines" then not follow them to their end.  We're opening up before we even reach the top of the first wave.  That "cure" isn't going to get it.  When I voted initially in this poll, I thought there might be a chance we could do the needful.  As this "cure" unfolds, it's pretty clear that's not the case.  As a result, I would absolutely change my vote.  The path we are on is the equivalent of a prolonged "brown out" rather than a blackout for a period of time and returning, rather quickly, back to normal after the lines are fixed.  Now, we're going to be playing whack-a-mole for quite some time and the uncertainty and lack of confidence is going to stall the economy/markets.  This will be impacting us economically for the rest of this year and most of next.  The alternative was to stay in place (as painful as it may have been) for 3-4 months and open back up with appropriate testing in place to combat flare ups so that we don't have to do massive shutdowns again because we can't figure out specifically where/how it's spreading.  We had the opportunity to get out the scalpel but the American public has opted to operate with a sledge hammer.  

If you'll notice, we aren't doing what we are supposed to GB.  The "solution" here, so far has been to create "guidelines" then not follow them to their end.  We're opening up before we even reach the top of the first wave.  That "cure" isn't going to get it.  When I voted initially in this poll, I thought there might be a chance we could do the needful.  As this "cure" unfolds, it's pretty clear that's not the case.  As a result, I would absolutely change my vote.
I'm still interpreting the original intent of the question as:  Are the "recommended" actions to mitigate worse for the country than simply allowing the virus to happen (i.e. herd immunity strategy)?

I'm not sure how to properly phrase a poll question that incorporates "stupid #### the country will actually do instead of what we should do".

I'm still interpreting the original intent of the question as:  Are the "recommended" actions to mitigate worse for the country than simply allowing the virus to happen (i.e. herd immunity strategy)?

I'm not sure how to properly phrase a poll question that incorporates "stupid #### the country will actually do instead of what we should do".
Kind of why I thought it would be interesting to see how people answer the question now, vs then.  When I answered the first time I interpreted it as "is staying in place going to kill more of us than the virus would?" because that was the talking point at the time.  Of course it wasn't all that well thought out at the time....the answer was obviously "no", but now that we see the "cure" taking shape, I was left wondering if people would change their minds.

We had the opportunity to get out the scalpel but the American public has opted to operate with a sledge hammer.  
Perhaps, in retrospect, this is who we are as a nation, it’s always been our collective personality. We’re simply incapable of a scalpel approach. 

Kind of why I thought it would be interesting to see how people answer the question now, vs then.  When I answered the first time I interpreted it as "is staying in place going to kill more of us than the virus would?" because that was the talking point at the time.  Of course it wasn't all that well thought out at the time....the answer was obviously "no", but now that we see the "cure" taking shape, I was left wondering if people would change their minds.
Ah, that's not how I interpreted the original question.  I interpreted it as "Are the recommended actions (i.e. lockdowns, stay-at-home, etc.) going to cause more damage (mostly economic) than the virus if we let it run rampant?"  Put more simply, one could interpret it as "economy or health?" (of course, completely ignoring the fact that the economic damage would happen regardless because of the virus, not because of the mitigation).

Perhaps, in retrospect, this is who we are as a nation, it’s always been our collective personality. We’re simply incapable of a scalpel approach. 
I don't think we are incapable, but there IS a segment of the population too lazy or uninterested to care.  In my view, those people can be left behind.  If they don't want to take the time to understand or learn, that's their choice.  I just ask you not whine from an uninformed position.  Leaders either drag those along who need help and are doing their best or cut their losses and leave behind those who have no interest in contributing to the greater cause.  I also understand doing this would be detrimental to some political careers. 

Right now, the focus should rightly be on the black (once again). But thank you for trying to pick a fight with me by bumping a 2 month old post. I'm out.
Wow, really?  You can at least appreciate the irony here, right?  I wasn't trying to pick a fight at all.......Lighten up Francis

And for the record, I wasn't looking two months back trying to find anything to exploit, I was simply reading older stuff and stumbled upon your post.....just a bit of levity in the #### storm that is our country.  That's all it was.

Users who are viewing this thread