What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Math Problem for You (1 Viewer)

pecorino

Footballguy
I read that Princeton professor and mathematician John Conway died last week (link) and thought the best way to honor him would be to get FBGs talking math. He was kind of like a Lebron of mathematicians, a man among boys.

You're probably familiar with graph paper.  If not, this image may refresh your memory.

The graph paper shows grid lines drawn vertically and horizontally at whole number values, positive and negative (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ... in the x-direction and 0, 1, 2, 3, 4,... in the y-direction) and where they meet are called lattice points (like (-1, 4) or (0, -3), or (99, 213)).

Question: Can you place a diagonal line on graph paper so that, even as the line extends forever in both directions, it never hits a lattice point? If you can, demonstrate how and if you cannot, prove that any diagonal line must hit a lattice point. Maybe put answers in spoiler boxes? Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I had not heard of his passing.

I'm not even going to try your question.  But, I will say that I learned his doomsday algorithm for calculating the day of the week for any date.  I've watched videos of him doing it, and his mental calculating speed is crazy.

<spoiler>seems like any line with a slope of 1 or -1 and a non-integer intercept would qualify</spoiler>
Seems like the obvious answer, so there must be more to it. BTW, he died in a NJ nursing home where he had been for almost a year. 

Seems like the obvious answer, so there must be more to it. BTW, he died in a NJ nursing home where he had been for almost a year. 
I did not know that detail. Lots of yucky stuff happening in NJ lately.

Good answer, BroadwayG. Now what if we require that the line goes through the origin (0, 0)?

I think the answer for that is any line with a slope that's an irrational number would never intersect a lattice point other than 0, 0. Because if it did, it wouldn't be irrational.  

I think the answer for that is any line with a slope that's an irrational number would never intersect a lattice point other than 0, 0. Because if it did, it wouldn't be irrational.  
And you could avoid (0,0) by using another (or the same) irrational number for the intercept. Example:

Y =  eX + pi

Very good. Not sure how many folks know what an irrational number is. 

Conway dabbled with sequences. Or, I should say, he essentially wrote the encyclopedia on them in the 1970s. One sequence that caught his attention is shown below. Some of you may have seen this one (it is now well known) but what most people don't know is that Conway sought to find a pattern so as to say "the formula for term "n" is ______" and to create such a formula. That was impossible even for him, but he did determine some facts about the ratios of one term divided by the prior term. It's the kind of thing no one in their right mind would even consider working on. Conway worked on it and figured out how those ratios evolve.

1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221, 312211, ___________, ___________, .....

the key to my success in life is that i was overcome by the desire to go to the bathroom for a smoke halfway thru the OP

Users who are viewing this thread