What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip's 9 Point Plan to Save the American and Global Economy (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
1.  Everybody under the age of 60 gets back to the new normal today.

2.  Faces Masks mandated everywhere

3.  Social Distancing recommended but OPTIONAL

4.  No groups over 20 unless required for economic reasons

5.  Hotspots can still be SiP if the data supports it(this is only a few cities)

6.  Travel to and from hotspots greatly restricted but economic required travel allowed

7.  Testing prioritized for workers that cannot social distance or that work in large groups or that are high risk in general

8.  If you are over 60 or at risk, Shelter in Place for the forseeable future, but you've been put on notice and you know and understand the risks

9.  If or when hotspots happen, re-evaluate and reconsider Shelter in Place

Save America!!

Last edited by a moderator:

5.  Hotspots can still be SiP if the data supports it(this is only a few cities)

6.  Travel to and from hotspots greatly restricted but economic required travel allowed

7.  Testing prioritized for workers that cannot social distance or that work in large groups or that are high risk in general

8.  If you are over 60 or at risk, Shelter in Place for the forseeable future, but you've been put on notice and you know and understand the risks

Save America!!
Too much wiggle room on the phrasing.  It's toothless  

Social distancing option

Groups over 20 allowed for economical reasons - what's economical to one may not be to another...

Travel for economical reasons - same as above
Restaurant is economical...birthday party in your backyard = not economical.

Business flight = economical, flight to see your cousin not economical.

Like said too much grey area.  Birthday party is employing  a local cater, now economical?  What about the service to bring out a pony for the kids?

My cousin has a business proposition, now economical?

Everything always sounds so easy and good on paper. But what about work environments (say manufacturing) with hundreds of workers with limited ventilation in a confined space? How about at risk people that have spouses or kids . . . even SIP people can have others bring the virus home and then mom / dad gets sick, then what . . . oh well? What if the at risk people really do need to stay home . . . do they all lose their jobs because they can't go back to work yet? Are people going to be allowed to cram into subways, trains, buses, planes, etc.?

I get that we can't stay locked up for eternity, but what really changed after 4-6 weeks? Still no vaccine, still limited testing available (and some reports that the tests are not always reliable), still a very small percentage of the total population tested, still shortages of PPE, and lots of burnt out and fed up healthcare workers. All that really happened is the virus got slowed down by millions of people staying home. The other change was social distancing, which in this list is OPTIONAL. 

I live right outside a hot spot. IMO, I am less concerned about opening some local things up, but allowing people unrestricted travel is a disaster waiting to happen. Saying it is for economic or business purposes still makes travel a big a problem. Just because some people are saying there are plenty of tests, PPE, resources, etc. available does not make it so. Assuming we could process 1 million tests a week, it would take 6 years to test everyone just a single time. Some people will have to be tested over and over again.

Suppose they opened things up way more but did not allow anything but local travel. As in temporarily closing down airports, train and bus stations, and highways. Commercial shipments and distribution of goods and supplies could be flown and transported. But that's it. Then people in safe zones could go to stores, restaurants, bars, gyms, movies, etc. Would that be an acceptable middle ground to "opening things up" and "keeping things contained"?

Save America!!
Are schools and daycares immediately reopening under this plan?

Everything always sounds so easy and good on paper. But what about work environments (say manufacturing) with hundreds of workers with limited ventilation in a confined space? How about at risk people that have spouses or kids . . . even SIP people can have others bring the virus home and then mom / dad gets sick, then what . . . oh well? What if the at risk people really do need to stay home . . . do they all lose their jobs because they can't go back to work yet? Are people going to be allowed to cram into subways, trains, buses, planes, etc.?

I get that we can't stay locked up for eternity, but what really changed after 4-6 weeks? Still no vaccine, still limited testing available (and some reports that the tests are not always reliable), still a very small percentage of the total population tested, still shortages of PPE, and lots of burnt out and fed up healthcare workers. All that really happened is the virus got slowed down by millions of people staying home. The other change was social distancing, which in this list is OPTIONAL. 

I live right outside a hot spot. IMO, I am less concerned about opening some local things up, but allowing people unrestricted travel is a disaster waiting to happen. Saying it is for economic or business purposes still makes travel a big a problem. Just because some people are saying there are plenty of tests, PPE, resources, etc. available does not make it so. Assuming we could process 1 million tests a week, it would take 6 years to test everyone just a single time. Some people will have to be tested over and over again.

Suppose they opened things up way more but did not allow anything but local travel. As in temporarily closing down airports, train and bus stations, and highways. Commercial shipments and distribution of goods and supplies could be flown and transported. But that's it. Then people in safe zones could go to stores, restaurants, bars, gyms, movies, etc. Would that be an acceptable middle ground to "opening things up" and "keeping things contained"?

There will always be risks, it's time to take them before we put this economy into situation that it cant get out of.

So I can hold a birthday party at a restaurant but not in my backyard?
correct

no need to make this overcomplicated, millions and millions of jobs are at stake not to mention critical Federal and State services.

Let's get back to the new normal!!

TripItUp said:

Save America!!
No

TripItUp said:

Why isn’t the flight to see your cousin economical? Airlines need passengers. Many places rely on tourism for their economic well-being. Are flights to Vegas and Disney World economical?

TripItUp said:
Yes!   Unless the at-risk teachers prevent the school from being able to do so.
What are the long term effects of Covid-19 infection on the heart and lungs of children?  

TripItUp said:
Seems pretty open to interpretation. Concerts? Sporting events? 

TripItUp said:
What about the economic benefit to Party Supply Stores and CARVEL?

What about all the money the kid will rake in from Grandma?

Wrong forum imo. With that said—no economy (including our own) will thrive when there is a deadly virus floating around, at the same time we have an under supplied and over-worked health care system, and testing and contact tracing is done in levels that are barely above nominal.   There needs to be a clear scientific, data driven and medically supported strategy in solving the virus before one jumps into solving the economic problems. You cannot put the cart ahead of the horse.  Open up things too soon and you’ll have Singapore version 2.0 but with an exponentially larger population.  

Meh, I prefer the cautious approach, considering that there is still no vaccine for Covid 19. The economy can wait. Get people healthy first.
I believe under Trip's plan scared folks like you can continue to stay at home.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-antibody-testing-shows-la-county-outbreak-is-up-to-55-times-bigger-than-reported-cases.html

This is why the lack of testing makes it impossible to do open things up.   In Los Angeles--a study shows the outbreak is up to 55x greater in regards to the number of reported cases.  While this is great for the mortality rate--it's absolutely terrible in the sense that far more people are carrying this disease than know about it. Open things up--and it will spread like wildfire--and you will see what a small mortality rate can do when we are talking about massive sample sizes.   

TripItUp said:
What are these "risks"?  The risk of catching and spreading it?  If I'm 60 and healthy and understand the risks, can I legally do what healthy 59 year olds can do?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-antibody-testing-shows-la-county-outbreak-is-up-to-55-times-bigger-than-reported-cases.html

This is why the lack of testing makes it impossible to do open things up.   In Los Angeles--a study shows the outbreak is up to 55x greater in regards to the number of reported cases.  While this is great for the mortality rate--it's absolutely terrible in the sense that far more people are carrying this disease than know about it. Open things up--and it will spread like wildfire--and you will see what a small mortality rate can do when we are talking about massive sample sizes.   
Several states disagree with you and are opening up in the next few weeks...some of them this week.

Several states disagree with you and are opening up in the next few weeks...some of them this week.
And?  States and governments are more than capable of making wrong decisions. When it comes to a health crisis--I'd rather weigh the opinions of doctors, virologists, and scientists more than I do governments or economists.   Economies don't thrive in the middle of plagues. Period. 

Seems pretty open to interpretation. Concerts? Sporting events? 
Good question...probably not immediately for really large events unless those events are required to save businesses and livelihoods.

Projecting less than 100K dead...is it accurate to characterize this as a plague?
The reported death toll even in the United States is wrong.  Coroners have all but admitted it. Secondly--projections are not guarantees.  The UK had projections of what would happen if they just let the virus spread and kept their economy open--and that failed miserably.  Only one country has had decent success in arguably bouncing back from the virus--and that's china.  They did it through insane quarantines that were enforced through policy and military, massive testing and massive contact tracing.  We have done none of those things and opening things up guarantees that we will get a massive second wave 

Feel free to stay at home.  There is no mandate for work.
Did you not read what I told DN when he tried to act cute? I'm an electrician. I also have things to pay for, so I'm happy to work. But the economy is not worth people's lives.

Users who are viewing this thread