What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Percy Harvin to unretire (1 Viewer)

This guy was one of my favorite players to ever watch.  I am younger so I missed some of the older studs that played in NFL.  This guy was dynamic. I wonder what he really has left at age 31.

That was my first reaction as well. A dynamic player at his physical peak, not sure what your getting now. Maybe a useful gadget/returner/spot slot guy. One of my favorite prospects to ever come out of the college ranks never lived up to his potential. 
A real tease...when you look at his numbers he only went over 1,000 combined (rushing and receiving) once and that was back in 2011...the more I look at him the more I feel he started playing pro football at age 15.

The game is better suited to his skill set now.  If only he could turn back time.
Agreed. I do think Harvin could still likely be a top notch KR, and occasional contributor at WR. Basically a rich man's Cordarrelle Patterson. Obviously, that isn't a fantasy target. but I think he wouldn't have too much trouble finding a job.

Baltimore would be a fun fit. 

I don't remember BassNPercy but I'm sure I like it.

I loved Percy as an all-around athlete. It's too bad it didn't work out for him. Maybe, just maybe...

Nah.

I can't think of a worse year for a WR to announce that he's going to un-retire.

What would be the number of day 3/undrafted WR's that you would take over the 2020 version of Percy Harvin? I'd put the over/under at least 20. Maybe 40..... just to avoid the "headaches" of wondering if you can rely on Harvin for an entire season.

I can't think of a worse year for a WR to announce that he's going to un-retire.

What would be the number of day 3/undrafted WR's that you would take over the 2020 version of Percy Harvin? I'd put the over/under at least 20. Maybe 40..... just to avoid the "headaches" of wondering if you can rely on Harvin for an entire season.
Couldn't disagree more.

Day 3 WR's? 20 to 40 is crazy to me. There might not be 20 WR's in the entire draft I'd take over Harvin, let alone day 3 guys. 

I think reliability is grossly overrated. Its similar to Gronk. I don't care at all if the guy plays 16 games. If a guy can do a certain skill at a high level, I'm very ok with an increased health risk. In Gronk's case, its both redzone skill, and run blocking(with a big play bonus potentially) in Harvin's case, its kick return ability and RAC ability(with a bonus for jet sweep stuff on the right team)

Also, its not like Harvin is coming back wanting to be paid like its 2013. He's likely coming back to maybe 1 yr for 3 mil, and even that is likely incentive based. You are getting an injury prone slot WR, with good(possibly still great) tackle breaking and likely still elite(at least high end) KR skills. 

A bunch of these late round/undrafted WR's likely won't even make their teams roster. Some will catch on the practice squad. But most of these guys will never have value at all. Harvin will, even if its just as a returner/gadget guy.

Maybe its a minority opinion, but I think Harvin could still be a top-3 WR on a team. I certainly don't feel there are 20+ day 3 or later WR's that can be said of. 20 in the draft at all is unlikely. 

Didn't Harvin suffer from migraines?

If so, he may have used weed &/or CBD to control it.
He's admitted as such in interviews. 

I can't believe Percy Harvin is only 31.
That's not that young at all when it comes to the NFL though.

He has a shot if they continue to expand rosters though, and I really think they should. Well that and go to an 18 game season (only 2 preseason games though). 

Maybe its a minority opinion, but I think Harvin could still be a top-3 WR on a team. I certainly don't feel there are 20+ day 3 or later WR's that can be said of. 20 in the draft at all is unlikely. 
Yep, we simply disagree.

The last time he had 500yd/2td receiving was 2012. That was at the age of 24. He'll 32 before the season begins and it's been nearly half a decade since he's been on an NFL field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I think he will come back and amount to much, but do the Bills still have him under contract when he returns, or is he free to come back and sign with anyone?

Respectfully, I think there is no chance of this. He hasn't taken a NFL snap since 2016, and he only played 67 snaps that season, all on offense. He had 24 touches on offense and 5 kick returns total in 2015. So he hasn't been a meaningful NFL contributor since 2014.

Has there ever been a WR who was completely away from the NFL for 3+ years and returned to be a top 3 WR?

Respectfully, I think there is no chance of this. He hasn't taken a NFL snap since 2016, and he only played 67 snaps that season, all on offense. He had 24 touches on offense and 5 kick returns total in 2015. So he hasn't been a meaningful NFL contributor since 2014.

Has there ever been a WR who was completely away from the NFL for 3+ years and returned to be a top 3 WR?
I believe he was saying that Harvin could be one of 3 Wr starters for a team, not top 3 overall.

IIRC Harvin had some sort of sleep disorder that caused his migraines but he got a special pillow that helped him sleep better and the migraines mostly went away. But maybe he had issues with them again after this, I am not sure.

I would assume the reason he hasn't been playing recently is because he was having a hard time making a team. I don't think that has changed.

When people in the league are confused about your free agent status because you're retired or a cap casualty you usually wind up in Tampa Bay. 

I believe he was saying that Harvin could be one of 3 Wr starters for a team, not top 3 overall.

IIRC Harvin had some sort of sleep disorder that caused his migraines but he got a special pillow that helped him sleep better and the migraines mostly went away. But maybe he had issues with them again after this, I am not sure.

I would assume the reason he hasn't been playing recently is because he was having a hard time making a team. I don't think that has changed.
Yes, that is what I thought he meant. And I disagree for the reasons I posted.

I get that. I'm not saying, "oh man, why draft a WR when you can sign Percy Harvin!" I was just taking issue with a post suggesting there were 20-40 WR's who were day 3 or undrafted guys who are likely better prospects. I think that statement is silly. There aren't that many WR's who do anything well,  or that will likely even make NFL teams.

I'm not saying a team should pass on say KJ Hamler, because Harvin can do what he does. I'm just saying I think Harvin can still be a great KR, and gadget player, with the upside of maybe being a top-3 WR if everything works out. I probably framed that poorly, as I meant as a ceiling, not an expectation. Still that is a ceiling I really doubt 20-40 day 3 or undrafted guys have.

It is unprecedented, but he's only 31, and is still in great shape. Its also easier than ever now, with advances in medical treatment, player nutrition and training. He's a unique case I think.

Maybe I'm just a fan of no-risk fliers. Worst case, he can't hack it in camp, and you cut him. Best case, you get a contributor for almost nothing. I don't think he gets brought in anywhere, where the team is going to be relying on him. Its all upside, no downside.

I could see creative teams like the Ravens, Saints, 49ers, Titans taking a flier, just as a returner/jet sweep option.

Maybe, although I thought he was coaching someone last I checked.

Its possible the new CBA not punishing for weed, leads to a few comebacks. 
Yeah, I have a lot of contacts in Gainesville and word around there (nothing official, just rumors) is that weed is the only thing that would really alleviate his migraines which was obviously a problem when trying to play in the NFL at the time.

@BassNBrew.....it's like Christmas all over again.....

I don't remember BassNPercy but I'm sure I like it.

I loved Percy as an all-around athlete. It's too bad it didn't work out for him. Maybe, just maybe...

Nah Hell Yeah!

On no.  I swore never again....but seeing the thread title = instant clickage.

PERCY IS LIKE CRACK!
Yup.  Soulfly is to Gordon as Bass is to Harvin.  I drafted that guy every year.

Randy Moss.  At least it felt like 3 years in Oakland.

Randy Moss.  At least it felt like 3 years in Oakland.
But it wasn't...

Users who are viewing this thread