What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who was the UN-Coolest athlete of all time? (1 Viewer)

ComfortablyNumb

Footballguy
The coolest athlete is an interesting discussion, but who takes the prize as the un-coolest?  Athletes who have committed murder (sorry OJ, Rae, and A-Aron), domestic abuse (better luck next time, Ray and many others), or other heinous crimes are not eligible.

I will nominate Lance Armstrong. He was so dominant and seemed cool until we learned that he cheated big time, and then he verbally abused all his colleagues who were just speaking the truth.  

Larry Bird was arguably the coolest in the sense that he was unflappable and his trash talk game was legendary.  He's also in the conversation for uncoolest because he had the Hick from French Lick thing going, he had that ridiculous mustache for a while, and he was an unapologetic jerk to his opponents.  

Denny McLain was and is a huge DB

Once gave Mickey Lolich and his wife a ride to D.C. [in his private plane] for the All Star Game. This was probably Denny’s third IIRC....first time for Mick. Denny started and got shellacked. Lolich had already been told he wouldn’t be pitching due to having started a game two days before. Anyway, McLain showers & changes, then pops his head into the dugout around the 5th or 6th inning to let his teammate know he’s leaving.

“Whaddayamean? Dude, we didn’t book a flight back to Detroit.”

”That’s not really my problem.”

That’s not the worst thing he did but certainly typifies what a selfish ##### he was.

15 years or so after he wrecked his career he stole $12 million of pension plan money from Peet Packing Co. Over 500 workers saw their retirement savings disappear. Besides directing the pension into the company operating account, he spent at least $3M on personal expenses (condo in Puerto Rico, buying airplanes.) Did quite a few years in Federal prison.

After he got out he wrote a biography called “I told you I wasn’t perfect.” Continued to make money in broadcasting. IDK if he’s still paying restitution but wish the mob had put a bullet in his head back ‘67 instead of just giving him a beat down (he couldn’t pay a gambling debt, they roughed him up enough that he missed a start with a sore foot...took a few years for the story to come out.)

Despicable human.

Last edited by a moderator:
JR Rider....anytime you kick a pregnant women in the back at a mall, you qualify. 

Don King (obviously not an athlete, but he deserved mention)

Manny Ramirez ....never understood why he got away with "Manny being Manny"?

Sounds like we're dealing with two kinds of "un-cool":

a) "Nerdy" cornball types, overly buttoned-up types, and/or holier-than-thou types

b) Bad human beings (e.g. the Denny McLain story, J.R. Rider, etc.)

So in this thread ... we're kind of just throwing in both types?

a) "Nerdy" cornball types, overly buttoned-up types, and/or holier-than-thou types

Good point - I think both types are worth mentioning.  Consider Peyton Manning.  He's a goober, but he's still pretty cool...

Staubach had em both - he would, maybe still does, inform people that they were not behaving in a manner worthy of being in front of his decent majesty

Users who are viewing this thread