What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Todd McShay (1 Viewer)

Pipes

Footballguy
Does anyone know if there is something going on with him?  He's been eerily quiet the last week or so and the draft starts tomorrow.  It's really weird since Kiper and Co are all over TV and twitter and crickets from McShay.  I hope he's ok.

Now that you mention it it does seem like he has not been around much...on the other-side I feel like Daniel Jeremiah (who is awesome) actually lives in my house right now.

The last few tweets published by him are from two days ago and four days ago. That is uncharacteristic for a draft analyst in the days leading up to the biggest event in their calendar.

The last few tweets published by him are from two days ago and four days ago. That is uncharacteristic for a draft analyst in the days leading up to the biggest event in their calendar.
Agreed.  We were discussing that at work and we're all kind of wondering what's up.  I hope he's not ill and that's is just some weird ESPN stuff going on right now.

And I noticed he hasn’t appeared on any of the ESPN NFL draft podcasts since 4/13. It’s just been Kiper and their producer.

Compared to Kiper, I always liked McShay. More info and less histrionics.
I’ve actually come around on Kiper and have become to appreciate him more. 

He’s on a segment on one of Peyton’s shows and it’s just remarkable how he got started at ESPN when not many people were doing draft analysis and has been doing this for so long. McShay is solid too though.

Leroy Hoard said:
Compared to Kiper, I always liked McShay. More info and less histrionics.
So, which 1 or 2 draft prognosticators do you trust the most? Kiper, McShay, Daniel Jeremiah or any one else, or a combination or ____?

So, which 1 or 2 draft prognosticators do you trust the most? Kiper, McShay, Daniel Jeremiah or any one else, or a combination or ____?
None. None of them are picking. But some do know more than others. Kiper is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
ILUVBEER99 said:
does anyone actually pay for ESPN+?  I pretty much ignore any of kiper/mcshay articles since they are always behind a pay wall.
I've paid for it in the past when I wanted to specifically look at something, but not sure I ever did more than 1 month.

I like Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis (although he doesn't seem to be doing as much this year).

To me Jeremiah is the prognosticator but that's a different question than which is your favorite draft analyst.

I also really enjoy Jeremiah as an analyst but would add Dane Brugler and Kyle Crabbs to the list if you want prospect analysis. I find myself disagreeing with Matt Waldman often but the way he talks about the NFL draft prospects might be the most interesting and in many ways the most honest. While most people will tell you where they rank Tee Higgins, where in the draft they expect him to go, and what his strengths are Waldman is more likely to explain the player and the type of situations that could make him excel. He doesn't seem nearly as wrapped up in rankings or probable draft spot as trying to make connections between specific skill sets and situations that would maximize that skill set(be it  because of scheme or veterans around the rookie). Because of that Waldman's analysis stands out as the most different and probably the post-draft analysis I enjoy the most. Draft analysis has gotten so much better over the years there is really content for nearly any taste now. 

If anything, the prognosticator angle is kind of snake oil anyway because the first trade blows up how all the other dominos were supposed to fall. There was a day when Kiper would actually get info nobody else had and would absolutely lose his #### on air if a GM made him look bad on television but fewer people claim to really know what's "going to happen" anymore. You can really tell by the way Kiper talks about the draft now because he equivocates much more than he used to. He can still be a blow-hard for sure but now he's kind of like the uncle you see at Thanksgiving every year and it's almost charming in an old-man-ranty way. At least he gets his opinions out quickly, in short bursts. There are several pod casters that insist you listen to their soliloquies about game of thrones or marvel super villains and various other navel gazing before they actually talk about football. Kiper is more along the old school Larry King "WE ARE ON THE AIR!" type of guy.

The way NFL Network and ESPN are sharing a single broadcast this year in that deal they made, is it possible with all the personalities they have to give half the time to, he just got cut out of the broadcast in the negotiation process? Kind of awkward but would explain why he still released his personal rankings but isn't pushing any obvious ESPN-related stuff. 

Idk, seems like a stretch because even if it's true he could still be doing all his normal stuff right up until the draft and then just shut up, rather than disappear 5 weeks early.

Idk, seems like a stretch because even if it's true he could still be doing all his normal stuff right up until the draft and then just shut up, rather than disappear 5 weeks early.
It also doesn't explain why he would have seemingly ghosted on his own podcast with Kiper as mentioned earlier in the thread. That's the only way I know anything about him(I don't subscribe to cable). Since he went AWOL on the podcast I just assumed he had been doing more TV work but I guess that's not the case.

ILUVBEER99 said:
does anyone actually pay for ESPN+? 
I think they used to have some giant package of football info(FBG, ESPN+, Outsiders, etc, etc) for a huge discount and I was a subscriber to that for a few years. Even then I didn't use the ESPN+ much if I'm being honest.

Maybe McShay is depressed he's going to lose his $5,000 bet with Kiper about who goes first between Herbert & Love (he took Love).

Just kidding, I like McShay. The money is going to charity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm listening to one of FirstDraft's podcasts & McShay said in passing he's been sick, although, he gave no details (other than Kiper called to check on him). I got the vibe it wasn't serious.

Maybe that's why he kinda disappeared?

I'm listening to one of FirstDraft's podcasts & McShay said in passing he's been sick, although, he gave no details (other than Kiper called to check on him). I got the vibe it wasn't serious.

Maybe that's why he kinda disappeared?
That would make sense. I kind of assumed he was either sick, a family member was very sick or he got suspended for flashing his wang to some female staff on a company zoom call. 

The up-and-comer. Once they adapt to life in the machine the quality of their content is effected. Mayock was great when he first came up on NFLN, but eventually his analysis was replaced with trying to identify where players would go instead of who he thought was under valued. If you listen you could still pick up on who he clearly liked more than others though. Jeremiah is going through something similar right now. Matt Miller on Bleacher Report too. @BoltBacker mentioned him, but I hope Dane Brugler is the next one to get elevated. He'd be great on NFLN for a few years until the machine gets to him too.

Users who are viewing this thread