What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Song lyrics that [potentially irrationally] anger you (1 Viewer)

Dr_Zaius

Footballguy
Maybe not an original idea, but listening to music over lunch I started thinking about lyrics that drive me nuts.  So, as the thread title says, these are lyrics that cause you to sigh, roll your eyes, get angry, etc.  Not misheard lyrics, and not necessarily a song that you dislike as a whole.  Rants are encouraged.  I will begin with the song that inspired the thread.

Song: Rocket Man

Lyric: “All the science, I don’t understand.  It’s just my job, five days a week…”

Beef: The head of the Mechanical Engineering department at my alma mater was actually an alternate to one of the space shuttle missions.  He was one of the smartest dudes I’ve ever met.  They don’t put English majors on spacecraft (no offense to English majors, engineers would be similarly unqualified to write poetry about space).  I suppose in defense of this lyric you could argue that no one is an expert on everything, and certainly the pilot of a spacecraft would have not have in-depth knowledge of every single aspect.  To me though, this song makes it sound like Mr. Rocket Man is like “Hurr Durr… what’s air friction?  What’s a COM port?”  Drives me insane.  Rocket Man’s a smart dude.  He does science.  GIVE ROCKET MAN SOME CREDIT!

First two that popped into my head:

• “concrete jungle where dreams are made of"
  • The chorus of Sufjan Stevens’s “John My Beloved” includes the phrase “in a matter of speaking.”  Drives me nuts because the idiom is “in a manner of speaking,” and either he changed it for some reason I don’t understand, or (what I suspect is more likely) it’s just a mistake that he repeats three times.  Great song on a great album but this chorus always makes me cringe. 

Maybe not an original idea, but listening to music over lunch I started thinking about lyrics that drive me nuts.  So, as the thread title says, these are lyrics that cause you to sigh, roll your eyes, get angry, etc.  Not misheard lyrics, and not necessarily a song that you dislike as a whole.  Rants are encouraged.  I will begin with the song that inspired the thread.

Song: Rocket Man

Lyric: “All the science, I don’t understand.  It’s just my job, five days a week…”

Beef: The head of the Mechanical Engineering department at my alma mater was actually an alternate to one of the space shuttle missions.  He was one of the smartest dudes I’ve ever met.  They don’t put English majors on spacecraft (no offense to English majors, engineers would be similarly unqualified to write poetry about space).  I suppose in defense of this lyric you could argue that no one is an expert on everything, and certainly the pilot of a spacecraft would have not have in-depth knowledge of every single aspect.  To me though, this song makes it sound like Mr. Rocket Man is like “Hurr Durr… what’s air friction?  What’s a COM port?”  Drives me insane.  Rocket Man’s a smart dude.  He does science.  GIVE ROCKET MAN SOME CREDIT!
My take is the song is set far in the future when space travel is routine so the guy is more of a bus driver than what we know to be an astronaut.

https://clyp.it/nf10ybwj

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of aeronautics, i was kinda upset when i first heard Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes". Nice tune, but then they get to the part where they say, "We know Major Tom's a junkie". Now i'd been keeping up with Bowie stuff as most folks do, y'know, and i'd never heard anything close to that. I mean, i know that rhymes for "funky" arent all that common, but besmirching the character of a hero stranded in space for the sake of lyrical continuity...really?!..... I even went over the lyrics to "Space Oddity" in my head and not only was there no indication of drug abuse, the words made it clear that he cared about his well-being enough to take protein pills and wear a helmet and was such a family man that his first thought was for his wife when things went wrong. Even if he were to develop a drug problem after the event - although we never heard a thing -  he'd have good reason. It would be more a matter of the hopelessness of soaring to nowhere with no hope of return than any character issue, so.....

Another one from today: Walk on the Wild Side

Lyric: "but she never lost her head even when she was giving h..."

Why are you rhyming head with itself?!?  I get that you used two different meanings of the word, but they're still the same phonetically.  And similar to wikkid's previous complaint, it's not like head is a particularly hard word to rhyme.  For a song that for the most part flows well lyrically, this line just sticks out to me.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb

Why are you rhyming head with itself?!?  I get that you used two different meanings of the word, but they're still the same phonetically.  And similar to wikkid's previous complaint, it's not like head is a particularly hard word to rhyme.  For a song that for the most part flows well lyrically, this line just sticks out to me.
coulda been, "her lips never lost their red.....................". Just lazy......

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" -   The Clash

The Clash are supposedly this badass band, and the delivery sounds hard and angry,

but the lyric is pathetic.

if you think you need to ask that question, you don't need to ask.

The Clash are supposedly this badass band, and the delivery sounds hard and angry,

Never a favorite of mine. But we can forgive every troubadour his pompadour and lover, right?

If not, you're playing the game all literal when it's lateral.

I agree with that, but at least Lou Reed tried.  Robin Thicke, in "Blurred Lines" didn't even make an attempt:

You wanna hug me
Hey, hey, hey
What rhymes with hug me?
Hey, hey, hey

Yes- Roundabout

"In and around the lake

Mountains come out of the sky

and they stand there"

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most mountains come out of the ground? What else can they do besides "stand there"?

Color Me Badd - I wanna sex you up

"We can do it 'til we both wake up."

Even as a little kid so far away from losing his virginity you can't even see it on the horizon, I knew this made zero sense unless "it" = actually sleeping. 

Speaking of aeronautics, i was kinda upset when i first heard Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes". Nice tune, but then they get to the part where they say, "We know Major Tom's a junkie". Now i'd been keeping up with Bowie stuff as most folks do, y'know, and i'd never heard anything close to that. I mean, i know that rhymes for "funky" arent all that common, but besmirching the character of a hero stranded in space for the sake of lyrical continuity...really?!..... I even went over the lyrics to "Space Oddity" in my head and not only was there no indication of drug abuse, the words made it clear that he cared about his well-being enough to take protein pills and wear a helmet and was such a family man that his first thought was for his wife when things went wrong. Even if he were to develop a drug problem after the event - although we never heard a thing -  he'd have good reason. It would be more a matter of the hopelessness of soaring to nowhere with no hope of return than any character issue, so.....
Maybe he’s a space junkie?

Especially because there’s either trouble or it’s double. Seems like an easy choice.

Mmm mmm mmm mmm

Mmm mmm mmm mmm
Cause then there was this boy whose
Parents made him come directly home right after school
And when they went to their church
They shook and lurched all over the church floor
He couldn't quite explain it
They'd always just gone there

Wut?

headcrack said:
Yes- Roundabout

"In and around the lake

Mountains come out of the sky

and they stand there"

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most mountains come out of the ground? What else can they do besides "stand there"?
I've never thought about this before, but if you live in the northwest on a clear day when you can see Mt. Rainier "the mountain is out."   It makes some sort of sense if that's the way you look at it.

In the desert you can remember your name, for there ain’t no-one for to give you no pain.

The grammar is atrocious and it doesn't make much sense either. Not to mention how sad it is that the equine in question didn't have a moniker.
I've always felt bad for that horse. Dude rides around on it all day and can't come up with a name?

In the desert you can remember your name, for there ain’t no-one for to give you no pain.

The grammar is atrocious and it doesn't make much sense either. Not to mention how sad it is that the equine in question didn't have a moniker.
They were trying to be Dylanesque.

Moreso the delivery than the lyric but “Pour some sugar on Mmmmmaaaaaayyyyy” makes want to go all Niagara Falls on somebody. Every. Single. Time.

I would do anything for love, but I won't do that. WON"T DO WHAT???
It's all in the song, which gets cut off by lazy music programmers.

Will you raise me up? will you help me down?
Will you get me right out of this godforsaken town?
Will you make it all a little less cold?

I can do that
I can do that

Will you cater to every fantasy I got?
Will you hose me down with holy water, if I get too hot?
Will you take me places I've never known?

I can do that
Oh no, I can do that

I know the territory, I've been around
It'll all turn to dust and we'll all fall down
Sooner or later you'll be screwing around

I won't do that
No, I won't do that

The Ballad of Billy the Kid (Billy Joel)

"East and West of the Rio Grande"

Um, good geography there Mr. Joel.  North and South flows (ha ha) just as well and is actually, you know, correct.

I actually think it's a good tune overall, but that abomination of a line combined with the pretentious ending where he declares himself as someone who is on par with the fame of Billy the Kid makes me not want to like the song.

Will you raise me up? will you help me down?
Will you get me right out of this godforsaken town?
Will you make it all a little less cold?

I can do that
I can do that

Will you cater to every fantasy I got?
Will you hose me down with holy water, if I get too hot?
Will you take me places I've never known?

I can do that
Oh no, I can do that

I know the territory, I've been around
It'll all turn to dust and we'll all fall down
Sooner or later you'll be screwing around

I won't do that
No, I won't do that
I agree I hate when they cut off the end, but even with the end the song leaves me confused.  The "screwing around" implies cheating on her, but why does that need to be declared so vigorously?  "I'll do anything for love except to completely betray your trust by sleeping with someone else" isn't exactly a high bar.  It makes more sense if he's saying he's keeping his virginity for now, but that doesn't seem to really fit "screwing around" because that implies other people.  Am I just being really dense?

The Ballad of Billy the Kid (Billy Joel)

"East and West of the Rio Grande"

Um, good geography there Mr. Joel.  North and South flows (ha ha) just as well and is actually, you know, correct.

I actually think it's a good tune overall, but that abomination of a line combined with the pretentious ending where he declares himself as someone who is on par with the fame of Billy the Kid makes me not want to like the song.
Time for a geography lesson- 'cause Joel can read a map.

song said:

Actually those lyrics hit home if you live near coast in Hurricane season.

Users who are viewing this thread