What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank em' (RBs) Now That We Have Landing Spots (2 Viewers)

While C-E-H is the clear #1, I think Swift is a sneaky #2...Kerryon Johnson simply can’t stay healthy dating back to his Auburn days...he’s only played 18 of a possible 32 NFL games.

Based on opportunity, I think Akers is #3, but he’s not as talented as Taylor who I’d put #4.  But I was not sold on Henderson’s rookie year and see him as a COP at best.  Feel like Taylor will have a Mikes Sanders rookie year type impact in 2020.

Dobbins is a clear #5 in 2020...I don’t know how he fits in a stacked backfield.  Even Gus Edwards averaged 5.3 YPC and the top two options are Lamar/Ingram...feel like this is a move for 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeAngelo wasn't over 30 though, he was 25, and that was before everyone realized how replaceable RB's were.
DeAngelo certainly wasn't the only vet that people wrote off to an incoming rookie that ended up retaining pretty good value though.  I remember Hightower having a few nice years after the Cardinals drafted Beanie Wells, and same for Thomas Jones after the Bears took Cedric Benson.

And those were much earlier picks than Akers coming in to replace them.  Chris Carson could have been had for a bag of peanuts after Seattle drafted Rashaad Penny.

DeAngelo certainly wasn't the only vet that people wrote off to an incoming rookie that ended up retaining pretty good value though.  I remember Hightower having a few nice years after the Cardinals drafted Beanie Wells, and same for Thomas Jones after the Bears took Cedric Benson.

And those were much earlier picks than Akers coming in to replace them.  Chris Carson could have been had for a bag of peanuts after Seattle drafted Rashaad Penny.
I think you may have mixed up what I was saying. I was saying Dobbins is a huge threat to Ingram, because Ingram is on the wrong side of 30, and could be replaced as soon as 2021.

Hightower was going into year 2 when Wells was drafted, as was Carson when Penny was drafted. Jones was still only 26, and an established starter when Benson was drafted.

I agree that Henderson could hold off Akers, I think that is truly 50-50 as to who the starter is(watch it be Malcolm Brown just to piss everyone off)

I agree Gibson is more of a RB than a WR at least right now.

I believe they drafted him as a WR though and that is what his designation would be for fantasy.
I've done a handful of bestballs redrafts so far this year, and an FFPC Superflex startup last month, and he was listed as a RB everywhere. I am wondering if they will update this.

DeAngelo wasn't over 30 though, he was 25, and that was before everyone realized how replaceable RB's were.

I think you might be remembering that a bit wrong. Mason had multiple arrests, a mental breakdown, no showed camp, was literally missing for several days, and then fell out of the league.

Also, Akers is maybe 25% the prospect Gurley was. Gurley was a top-10 pick despite tearing his ACL, and being 50-50 to even play as a rookie. If Gurley were healthy that year, he's probably #3 overall.
That's fair I didnt recall all of that. I was thinking about discussions of 3rd round RB related to Mason at that time , how often do they actually become starters and making that connection with Henderson.

Same team similar draft capital same GM.

But maybe Mason would have been their starter if he didnt go off the rails.

The Rams have drafted a lot of RB with Les Snead.

I am on the fence as far as Akers talent level. He was drafted higher than I expected he would be and higher than the pick they used on Henderson.

I've done a handful of bestballs redrafts so far this year, and an FFPC Superflex startup last month, and he was listed as a RB everywhere. I am wondering if they will update this.
Huh well maybe I am wrong in that case. Not sure.

From watching him he looks like a RB more than a WR to me. I do think he is exciting. He runs really hard. Has great speed. He does seem a bit stiff and upright. He doesn't do too much route running, most of the passes are flares, jet sweeps and stuff like that.

I do like him a lot. Exciting player.

That's fair I didnt recall all of that. I was thinking about discussions of 3rd round RB related to Mason at that time , how often do they actually become starters and making that connection with Henderson.

Same team similar draft capital same GM.

But maybe Mason would have been their starter if he didnt go off the rails.

The Rams have drafted a lot of RB with Les Snead.

I am on the fence as far as Akers talent level. He was drafted higher than I expected he would be and higher than the pick they used on Henderson.
Didn't they move up to get Henderson, though? I always put an asterisk next to any player that a team moved up to get. I'm not sure the gap between 52 and 70 is so wide that I would give any edge there. To me it will be a competition for sure, and most likely a committee. Even though I'm deflated based on my DH ownership, I am probably going to move forward assuming Akers gets at least the 1A treatment, though. But if it really is an open competition then who knows?

One thing about the Rams and their coaches, don't get comfortable with any of their RBs because they like to play everybody. 

From watching him he looks like a RB more than a WR to me. I do think he is exciting. He runs really hard. Has great speed. He does seem a bit stiff and upright. He doesn't do too much route running, most of the passes are flares, jet sweeps and stuff like that.

Someone said above that there is a chance they could build around him. I don't know about that but I *do* think there is a big something to the notion of a new coach and staff going in a new direction, who inherited guys with big question marks that aren't *their* guys. And I have to say, Gibson reminds me a little of CMC.

**ducks flying shoes**

No I mean there are at least 15-20 rookie names I would probably take first, but he is definitely on my radar.

ETA also all might be moot if he is listed as a WR in the end

Someone said above that there is a chance they could build around him. I don't know about that but I *do* think there is a big something to the notion of a new coach and staff going in a new direction, who inherited guys with big question marks that aren't *their* guys. And I have to say, Gibson reminds me a little of CMC.

**ducks flying shoes**

No I mean there are at least 15-20 rookie names I would probably take first, but he is definitely on my radar.
There are just so many good players in this class that fell to great spots that its hard to envision taking him before late 2nd or 3rd rounder for me, and I'm a Skins fan. 

not really
not really what?  Didn't they play Brown and Henderson with Gurley?  Especially Brown?  You think the Rams coaches are going to magically start playing Akers 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 over the other backs?

Didn't they move up to get Henderson, though? I always put an asterisk next to any player that a team moved up to get. I'm not sure the gap between 52 and 70 is so wide that I would give any edge there. To me it will be a competition for sure, and most likely a committee. Even though I'm deflated based on my DH ownership, I am probably going to move forward assuming Akers gets at least the 1A treatment, though. But if it really is an open competition then who knows?
They did. They traded up to pick 70 to select Henderson last year and he was the 3rd RB selected.

Cam Akers was selected at pick 52. He was the 4th RB selected.

I really like Henderson. He was my top RB prospect last year, but he didn't fire and now this is not a good sign for him.

They did. They traded up to pick 70 to select Henderson last year and he was the 3rd RB selected.

Cam Akers was selected at pick 52. He was the 4th RB selected.

I really like Henderson. He was my top RB prospect last year, but he didn't fire and now this is not a good sign for him.
yep

Its just a kick in the ding dong to know I drafted Henderson last year in several dynasty leagues. Even the leagues I thought I got "value" taking him in the 2nd, I took him over Murray, Fant, Hollywood Brown, etc. Wish I could have a redo there! 

not really what?  Didn't they play Brown and Henderson with Gurley?  Especially Brown?  You think the Rams coaches are going to magically start playing Akers 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 over the other backs?
No not really to what you said. It's all wrong.

They did not play Henderson with Gurley and Brown. Henderson could not get on the field which was why I did not believe he was ready to take on a bigger role. His HIGH snap count game with all 3 healthy was 10%.

Gurley only had one game he got under 60% of the snaps. Probably averaged 70% range, Brown in for about 20-25%. Basically a bell cow, a backup, and a third stringer who only played when the starter or backup was hurt.

I think you might be remembering that a bit wrong. Mason had multiple arrests, a mental breakdown, no showed camp, was literally missing for several days, and then fell out of the league.
Not all that relevant, but I thought Mason went off the rails after Gurley had already been drafted. IIRC, Mason was the presumed starter and the Rams surprised by taking Gurley early.

Its just a kick in the ding dong to know I drafted Henderson last year in several dynasty leagues. Even the leagues I thought I got "value" taking him in the 2nd, I took him over Murray, Fant, Hollywood Brown, etc. Wish I could have a redo there! 
This is why I was trying to bring the long term view of the Rams into the conversation and just overall how promising RB is good situations can just get passed over by new blood, even pretty high picks like Henderson and Mason.

If the RB isn't a 1st rounder they are not really safe from competition.

Akers was selected before Dobbins, which gives me a perspective of him being highly valued by at least the Rams and Akers is a capable receiver and tough versatile RB who can function with less than ideal blocking.

On the other hand Snead has burned a lot of draft picks on the position and in my view Akers is not more talented than Dobbins.

Maybe its too simple but the draft position tells me they think more of Akers than they do Henderson. If they trusted Henderson they likely are not making this pick and waiting longer to address the depth.

No not really to what you said. It's all wrong.

They did not play Henderson with Gurley and Brown. Henderson could not get on the field which was why I did not believe he was ready to take on a bigger role. His HIGH snap count game with all 3 healthy was 10%.

Gurley only had one game he got under 60% of the snaps. Probably averaged 70% range, Brown in for about 20-25%. Basically a bell cow, a backup, and a third stringer who only played when the starter or backup was hurt.
If Sean McVay usage of RBs doesn't scare you then there's nothing I can say.

I like Dobbins with the Ravens.  Ingram is 30, so Dobbins' time will come soon.
This.  I think when it’s all said and done he could very well bring the best RB in this class, fantasy wise.  Just temper the 2020 numbers a bit.

This.  I think when it’s all said and done he could very well bring the best RB in this class, fantasy wise.  Just temper the 2020 numbers a bit.
Yeah I'm a little surprised more people aren't drooling over this landing spot. The TD upside is no less than CEH in KC. I think he is in an obvious top 3 tier with CEH and Taylor.

JohnnyU, I always enjoy your contribution on these boards but sometimes you dig your heels in on things that just don’t make sense.  McVay prefers a primary back.  I am a 40+ yr Rams fan and I can assure you, if McVay has a back worthy of 3 down work, he uses them and there is nothing to be concerned about.
To that end, didn’t McVay cede time to Henderson and Brown only to scale back Gurley’s workload due to injury. 

No Dillon?  As much as I hate the Pick for GB he’ll put up some numbers in Lafluers offense.  Especially in 2021 when both Jones and Williams could be gone.
Sorry, I forgot him but I'd have put him in that Moss/Vaughn tier.  I tend to be down on RB's I don't think factor much in the passing game but he has some intrigue.

Rough Draft:

Taylor>Dobbins>CEH

Swift

Akers>Dillon>McFarland

Vaughn>Evans>Moss>Kelley

1. Taylor - I think I'm giving the edge to him in my league. My league is 1/2 ppr & +3 pts for going over 100 yards rushing. I worry about his usuage limiting his career and that is why I have struggled with him or...

2. C-E-H - looks the part & w KC, nuff

3. Dobbins - Might be a year away from a prime roll, I bet he is rb#2 on depth chart when u can use him for fantasy playoffs this year, and then he is C-E-H level good

4. Swift - #1 because of draft pedigree #2 how many times have you seen analyst down on QB/WR/TE from Det because Patricia's run centric philosophy? #3 he will be #2 depth immediately and could be #1 sooner before later.

5. Akers - because of skill & opportunity, but not without risk.

6. Dillon - For talent, not immediate opportunity (without injury/trade). I think GB keeps 1 of Jones/Williams and let's the other walk to find a Payday elsewhere. Creating a timeshare. Question is who. If Jones resigns it's gonna be even but it will cost GB more, if it's Williams then Dillon is the new Jones for 2021.

7. Vaughn - Because Tom Brady has made stars out of Jags and the competition isn't huge

8. Gibson if he's classified as RB but he will be buried on depth chart this year

9. Moss - RB2 immediately. Gore was serviceable and Miss is young/fresh. Won't really know when to easily start/sit w/o an injury

****Slim pickings from here on out*****

10. Kelley -  Handcuff back for now.

11. Perine - Handcuff back for now ( I think has clearest path as the immediate rb2 on depth chart, still needs an injury to Bell to be a go

12. McFarland - handcuff back for now. Should be pits #2 by end of year, imo.

13. Benjamin - hard to say if/when he becomes the handcuff. 

1. Taylor - I think I'm giving the edge to him in my league. My league is 1/2 ppr & +3 pts for going over 100 yards rushing. I worry about his usuage limiting his career and that is why I have struggled with him or... no brainer

2. C-E-H - looks the part & w KC, nuff

3. Dobbins - Might be a year away from a prime roll, I bet he is rb#2 on depth chart when u can use him for fantasy playoffs this year, and then he is C-E-H level good  - couldn't agree more, IMO opinion people should be drooling over this landing spot

4. Swift - #1 because of draft pedigree #2 how many times have you seen analyst down on QB/WR/TE from Det because Patricia's run centric philosophy? #3 he will be #2 depth immediately and could be #1 sooner before later.

5. Akers - because of skill & opportunity, but not without risk.

6. Dillon - For talent, not immediate opportunity (without injury/trade). I think GB keeps 1 of Jones/Williams and let's the other walk to find a Payday elsewhere. Creating a timeshare. Question is who. If Jones resigns it's gonna be even but it will cost GB more, if it's Williams then Dillon is the new Jones for 2021. - very non-zero chance this happens

7. Vaughn - Because Tom Brady has made stars out of Jags and the competition isn't huge

8. Gibson if he's classified as RB but he will be buried on depth chart this year

9. Moss - RB2 immediately. Gore was serviceable and Miss is young/fresh. Won't really know when to easily start/sit w/o an injury

****Slim pickings from here on out*****

10. Kelley -  Handcuff back for now.

11. Perine - Handcuff back for now ( I think has clearest path as the immediate rb2 on depth chart, still needs an injury to Bell to be a go

12. McFarland - handcuff back for now. Should be pits #2 by end of year, imo.

13. Benjamin - hard to say if/when he becomes the handcuff. 
good list

I liked him before he was drafted by Washington. I don't see them maximizing his talent.

I'm RB needy and sitting on the 1.03, and I assume CEH and Taylor will go 1-2.  Was leaning Dobbins, but now I lean about 70-30 Swift.  I think Dobbins shows slightly better instincts for the position, but Swifts agressive style is winning me over.  It just looks like he wants it more (not trying to fan any flames)

I'm not too woried about Kerryon Johnson's presence.  Swift looks like a two-down back - specifically 2nd and 3rd down.

I'm RB needy and sitting on the 1.03, and I assume CEH and Taylor will go 1-2.  Was leaning Dobbins, but now I lean about 70-30 Swift.  I think Dobbins shows slightly better instincts for the position, but Swifts agressive style is winning me over.  It just looks like he wants it more (not trying to fan any flames)

I'm not too woried about Kerryon Johnson's presence.  Swift looks like a two-down back - specifically 2nd and 3rd down.
Is it just me or is it hard to get excited about any Lions RB?  Long term I'd take Dobbins in Baltimore before Swift in Detroit.

Is it just me or is it hard to get excited about any Lions RB?  Long term I'd take Dobbins in Baltimore before Swift in Detroit.
Not at all. The only thing that gives me pause in considering Swift higher is that Patricia might not be long in the driver's seat.

I liked him before he was drafted by Washington. I don't see them maximizing his talent.
I was looking at him as a WR and I think he needs a lot of work on route running to become a consistent weapon as a receiver.

In the mean time he is great on constraint plays and as a RB.

If Guice is healthy I just don't see him getting much opportunity. 

I will say one good thing about Scott Turner he is the guy who convinced the Vikings to select Stefon Diggs in the 5th round.

The NFL should just list Gibson as FLEX.

I see in FFPC he is now listed as WR. He had been listed RB earlier but I see even in older drafts he has been updated on people's rosters as a WR. I think a few people are upste about that but what are you gonna do when you're drafting in March and April.
I had checked on this earlier and they will be moving him back to RB so long as at end of training camp he remains listed as a RB on the team website, which is what he is listed at right now.

Users who are viewing this thread