What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cole Kmet, CHI (1 Viewer)

Bears selected Notre Dame TE Cole Kmet with the No. 43 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Kmet (6’5/255) was a two-year starting inline tight end at Notre Dame who was also on the Fighting Irish’s baseball team. He had 176 scoreless yards in his first two seasons before posting a 43/515/6 receiving line as a true junior last year. Kmet profiles as a traditional tight end who possesses a big catch radius on seam routes and enough strength to be a quality run-blocker in the NFL. Only 21 years old with limited pass-catching experience, he will likely need time to develop into a three-down role, particularly as a receiver. With 64th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism and 4.70 speed, Kmet comps similarly to Kyle Rudolph. Bears GM Ryan Pace loves to collect bad tight ends, but hopefully Kmet can buck that trend. He joins Jimmy Graham and Demetrius Harris in Chicago. Kmet is doubtful to make much of a Year 1 impact. The Bears now roster 10 tight ends.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:58 PM ET

Just stop it. Most of them are special team players and the rest won’t even be on the roster next year. 
Yeah, I wouldn't really be surprised if none of them are on the roster. That's why he's calling them stupid. It's shocking to me ANYONE would take a TE in this draft class in the top 43 pick. But if I were to guess the team to do it, it would have been the Bears.

Would it really shock anyone if Kmet ends up being the fifth best TE in this draft class? I think a TE in the 4th round or later could end up having a better career.

from wiki "Kmet also played baseball at Notre Dame.[10] As a freshman in 2018, Kmet appeared in 26 games as a relief pitcher and made one start. He finished the season 2–5 with a 5.05 earned run average (ERA), 39 strikeouts and a team-leading eight saves.[11] As a sophomore in 2019, Kmet appeared in eight games with one start, before suffering an arm injury.[12] He finished the season 0–2 with a 2.89 ERA and 27 strikeouts"....why do I bring this up you ask...or didn't...6'6'' 262 with a 4.7 40...while focusing on baseball and football pretty sure he didn't have 100 per cent focus on either. This possibly helps with overuse injuries and also possible crosstraining mental positives in my limited and pointed opinion. Is there a possibility there is more upside than meets the eye due to being a high level athlete in two sports? Being a multisport participant and Bears fan I will let you guess which way I am leaning on this. Upside...mega Ditka...downside Mandarich at TE.  My prediction...Urlacher type production at TE...roadgrader on sweeps and red zone target .12 year top 5 production career. Give me another hit of that kool aid please haha. Be well friends.

I like him quite a bit, especially if they let Foles do his thing the next 2-3 years. Very athletic big man.

Gronk lite.

Bears signed second-round TE Cole Kmet to a four-year contract. 

The Bears announced the signing of their entire seven-man class on Tuesday. Kmet is at the head of it even though tight end was near the bottom of the list when it came to Bears positions of need. Kmet profiles as a traditional tight end who possesses a big catch radius on seam routes and enough strength to be a quality run-blocker in the NFL. Only 21 years old with limited pass-catching experience, he will likely need time to develop into a three-down role, particularly as a receiver. With 64th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism and 4.70 speed, Kmet comps similarly to Kyle Rudolph. Bears GM Ryan Pace loves to collect bad tight ends, but hopefully Kmet can buck that trend. He joins Jimmy Graham and Demetrius Harris in Chicago. Kmet won't make much of a 2020 fantasy impact. 

Jul 21, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

Bears TE Cole Kmet caught 2-of-2 targets for 20 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' Week 6 win over the Panthers. 

This was Kmet's first NFL touchdown, as the No. 43 overall pick has made more of an impact in the running game than passing game through six weeks. Until Matt Nagy shows more of a willingness to involve Kmet, he will not be in the fantasy conversation despite the total lack of options at the position this season.

Oct 18, 2020, 6:49 PM ET

Week 14 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Gabriel Davis' rookie breakout

Excerpt:

RISER: TE COLE KMET, CHICAGO BEARS

Kmet was on track for something of a redshirt rookie campaign heading into Week 10. But since then, he’s been targeted 13 times while running a route on 58.7% of his team’s dropbacks. Over that same span, Jimmy Graham has run a route on 38.9% of his team’s passing plays and has seen a measly seven looks through the air. 

Graham was playing a significant role and drawing targets for the majority of the year, so Kmet’s ability to dethrone him is notable. Kmet wasn’t an awfully impressive prospect, peaking at 515 receiving yards in his junior season at Notre Dame. However, the Bears owe Graham $10 million next year — none of which is guaranteed. He’s unlikely to be in Kmet’s way in 2021, and Chicago currently leads the league in pass percentage. Kmet could emerge as a weekly PPR option next year if he continues to break out in the final weeks of his rookie season.

Cole Kmet caught 4-of-7 targets for 41 yards in the Bears' Week 14 win over the Texans.

Kmet out-targeted Jimmy Graham, seven to four. He's been playing ahead of the veteran and has moved around well on his limited reps. Unfortunately, Graham remains a threat inside the red zone. Graham scored his sixth touchdown on Sunday. Kmet is a better bet for TE1/2 production in 2021 and beyond. For now, he's a TE2 streamer as an emerging athlete in a wobbly offense.

- Rotoworld

Chicago Bears Week 15 storylines: Seventh-seed seduction, Cole Kmet’s increased opportunity and a rookie’s emergence for the Minnesota Vikings

Excerpt:

On the rise

The route hardly was sophisticated. From the right side of the Bears formation, Cole Kmet dragged behind the offensive line and made himself available in the left flat. With pressure coming off the edge, quarterback Mitch Trubisky had to react quickly and alter his arm angle for a nifty play-action dart to his tight end.

The ball was caught at the line of scrimmage. But then Kmet went to work, first stiff-arming linebacker Tyrell Adams and shaking off his tackle and then plowing through safety Eric Murray near the first-down marker.

Murray couldn’t bring Kmet down. Adams got off the ground and tried to help. Safety Justin Reid came storming in and slammed into Kmet.

Eventually, after a gain of 11 yards and a first down, the whistle blew.

“And he’s still not on the ground,” Trubisky said. “They just stopped it because he’s got five guys trying to bring him down.”

Kmet howled and celebrated quickly with Jimmy Graham and Charles Leno. His adrenaline was still pumping when he got back to the Bears sideline.

Said coach Matt Nagy: “He catches that football and is able to blow through three people, give a forearm shiver and get a first down. And then he came off the field saying, ‘I’m not going down!’”

A Bears source who wears jersey No. 85 has confirmed that anecdote.

“I was pumped up afterward,” Kmet said. “I said it.”

In a word: this.

This is a big part of what the Bears saw in Kmet when they used their top draft pick last spring to select him. This is some of what the Bears offense was lacking through the first three months of the season — that vintage Kmet toughness, the ability to turn a simple play into a chain-moving gain. The passion. The potential.

This.

In the last two games, Kmet has totaled nine catches, 78 yards and a touchdown. In his first 11 contests, he had just eight receptions for 94 yards and a score. But increased playing time in recent weeks has led to increased production.

Tight ends coach Clancy Barone, who has been praising Kmet since September and lobbying for him to get more opportunity, believes the rookie’s development is “ahead of schedule.” Barone has been particularly impressed all season with Kmet’s underrated strength and athleticism.

“His play speed is much faster than probably anyone gave him credit for (coming out of college),” Barone said. “He’s very, very heavy-handed. When he locks those big mitts on you, it shocks you. And I’ve had veteran players tell me that.”

Trubisky, meanwhile, sees a big target with run-after-catch toughness plus an impressive feel for the game and a passion to push himself. It’s no wonder Trubisky feels his trust in Kmet growing and his push to get him more involved in the passing game increasing.

“He’s a special player,” Trubisky said “His love for the game, his energy and his overall football IQ is what separates him from most young guys.”

With three games remaining, Kmet’s emergence is helping to catalyze a late-season awakening by the Bears offense.

“It’s been a growing process for sure,” Kmet said. “From the first day of camp until now. But I feel like each week I’m just getting better and better.”

Was all set and excited to start Kmet this week. Decent matchup. Hendricks out. Maybe J. Graham out too.

Then M. Thomas was ruled out for NO and somebody dumped J. Cook into waivers.

Torn now. Mind WAS made up.

May come down to who I trust more throwing these guys the ball...Trubisky or Brees. Leaning Cook but it's close.

Was all set and excited to start Kmet this week. Decent matchup. Hendricks out. Maybe J. Graham out too.

Then M. Thomas was ruled out for NO and somebody dumped J. Cook into waivers.

Torn now. Mind WAS made up.

May come down to who I trust more throwing these guys the ball...Trubisky or Brees. Leaning Cook but it's close.
Tough call.  If its PPR, probably like Kmet more.  It seems like Cook is TD or bust these days.  

Cole Kmet caught 3-of-4 targets for 16 yards in the Bears' Wild Card loss to the Saints.

The 43rd overall pick in April's draft, Kmet finished his rookie season with a 28-243-2 line playing behind Jimmy Graham most of the season. Kmet eventually started to pass Graham on the depth chart, but it was Graham who remained the Bears' top red-zone target, catching nine touchdowns across the regular season and playoff loss. Graham, 34, could be cut in the offseason, paving the way for Kmet to have a second-year leap. He's a strong hold in dynasty leagues.

Jan 10, 2021, 9:16 PM ET

Maybe his nickname could be Kmet the Frog. Because he's gonna bounce out of Chicago as quick as he can if they don't use him more? ;)  

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"I envision a lot for him," coach Nagy said of Kmet. "We weren't sure going into [last season] with new TEs—Cole and Jimmy—how that thing was going to play out. [But] Cole did such a great job of digesting the offense, his role will continue to expand.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1404466708123947019?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Kmet played fewer than 50 percent of the offense's snaps in each of the first nine games before lining up for 70, 79, 78, 85, 100, 90 and 89 percent of the plays in the last seven games
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1404466709961089030?s=21

Chicago coach Matt Nagy said he sees Cole Kmet's role increasing in 2021.

Kmet started his debut campaign slowly, failing to surpass two receptions in a single game until Week 12. However, unlike most rookie tight ends, Kmet became heavily involved in Chicago's offense by the end of his first season. He tallied 30 targets over his final six games and began pushing Jimmy Graham out of the rotation. Kmet makes for an interesting late-round pick in fantasy drafts but relying on him to be an immediate contributor may be asking too much. Unless Graham disappears entirely, Kmet will be capped at TE2 numbers.

RELATED: 

Jimmy Graham

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Jul 28, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Cole Kmet caught 1-of-3 targets for six yards in the Bears' Week 4 win over the Lions.

Kmet's three targets tied Allen Robinson for the second most of the team and were good for a healthy 18% target share. Unfortunately the Bears' passing game had a sickly 17 passing attempts on the day. Kmet will have a hard time delivering fantasy value until the Bears are willing to unleash Justin Fields, which is unlikely to be Week 5 against the Raiders.

Cole Kmet caught 4-of-5 targets for 49 yards in the Bears' Week 6 loss to the Packers.

The 49 yards mark a new season-high for Kmet, who now has a total of eight catches for 88 scoreless yards in Justin Fields' four starts. Kmet won't be a strong fantasy option for Week 7 against the Bucs.

- NBC SportsEDGE

The stats aren’t there yet, but IMO the arrow is pointing up for him in terms of targets and utilization as Fields gets more acclimated. 

Cole Kmet caught 6-of-8 targets for 87 yards in the Bears' Week 9 loss to the Steelers.

The targets, catches, and yards were all season-highs for Kmet on a night he led the team in targets and saw a 27.6% share of the looks on 29 Justin Fields throws. Kmet made some really nice catches in tight coverage and got loose down the seam a couple times. He's averaged 7.3 targets per game over the last three weeks and is creeping up the tight end fantasy ranks ahead of an easier on-paper Week 11 date with the Ravens after the bye.

Nov 8, 2021, 11:57 PM ET

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Cole Kmet has "taken that next step."

“He’s at a point where I think you’re starting to see some more targets go his way," Nagy continued. "I love where he’s at. I love his mentality, and I think he’s going to keep growing.” The coach's sentiments match up with Kmet's usage over the last month, culminating in his six-catch, 87-yard performance against the Steelers on Monday night. Chicago's passing game is still not good enough to call Kmet a set-and-forget fantasy starter, but streamers should look his way in good matchups. Following the bye, Kmet has one of those good matchups against the Ravens. 

SOURCE: Chicago Sun-Times

Nov 10, 2021, 12:29 PM ET

Cole Kmet caught 8-of-11 targets for 65 yards in the Bears' Week 12 win over the Lions. 

The 11 targets were a new career high for Kmet just four days after he stink bombed with 1/12 on two looks. It resumes the upward trajectory the second-year pro had been on before last week's disappointment against the Ravens. Kmet still can't be trusted as a TE1, but he is firmly established as a targets-based TE2. The Cardinals are on deck for Week 13. 

Nov 25, 2021, 4:34 PM ET

Cole Kmet (groin) was not given an injury designation for Week 13 against the Cardinals. 

Coming off a career-high in targets, Kmet was surprisingly a DNP on Wednesday, but he returned to a limited practice Thursday before getting in a full session on Friday. The two-target disaster in Week 11 aside, Kmet has consistently been a big part of the passing game as of late. He has some streaming appeal. 

Dec 4, 2021, 10:10 AM ET

Cole Kmet missed Thursday's practice with a non-COVID illness. 

Something viral is going around the Bears' locker room, but the team says it is not the novel coronavirus. The good news this week is that everyone has 24-plus extra hours to get healthy with Chicago playing on Monday Night Football. TE2 desperados can keep Kmet penciled into their lineups. 

Dec 16, 2021, 7:35 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread