Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Antonio Gibson, Washington

Recommended Posts

For reference, our first two rounds are right after the NFL draft, and our third round started today. Gibson wasn't selected in the first two rounds. I had pick 3.03, and Hayden Hurst went at 3.01 and Moss went at 3.02. I snapped up Gibson at 3.03.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kutta said:

For reference, our first two rounds are right after the NFL draft, and our third round started today. Gibson wasn't selected in the first two rounds. I had pick 3.03, and Hayden Hurst went at 3.01 and Moss went at 3.02. I snapped up Gibson at 3.03.

Moss at 3.02 seems like a good value, same with the upside of Gibson on the next pick. Not sure what to think about Gibson but an upper tier athlete in the 3rd is nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Faust said:

 

 

Zach Selby @ZachDSelby

Peterson said Antonio Gibson is an athlete. He even joked he could play linebacker if he wanted to. He's a big human being, Peterson said, and the running back position comes naturally to him.

 

I hate the label "He's an athlete".  That usually doesn't mean good things for fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I hate the label "He's an athlete".  That usually doesn't mean good things for fantasy.

I hear you but if a HOF RB is saying he looks good and the game comes natural to him, I'd say that's a pretty good sign no? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

I hate the label "He's an athlete".  That usually doesn't mean good things for fantasy.

When you combine it with the little usage he got in college, I agree that it gives one pause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

I hate the label "He's an athlete".  That usually doesn't mean good things for fantasy.

I remember when they were saying this about Philip Lindsey and no one believed he would have the impact he did. Sometimes it just means a dude is a freak and when it’s in the context of the NFL, said by a freak in his own right maybe we can bank on a guy just being super efficient on the field independent of how many touches he may or may not get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

I remember when they were saying this about Philip Lindsey and no one believed he would have the impact he did. Sometimes it just means a dude is a freak and when it’s in the context of the NFL, said by a freak in his own right maybe we can bank on a guy just being super efficient on the field independent of how many touches he may or may not get.

It was Vonn Miller saying how hard he is to tackle and how he was going to have a role for them on Sundays.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In with 2.1.  It's high, but with all the positive press I didn't think he'd be there for my next pick at 2.7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

I remember when they were saying this about Philip Lindsey and no one believed he would have the impact he did. Sometimes it just means a dude is a freak and when it’s in the context of the NFL, said by a freak in his own right maybe we can bank on a guy just being super efficient on the field independent of how many touches he may or may not get.

Difference is Lindsay had 765 carries and 117 receptions in college. It was evident that he was a complete RB. Gibson had 44 college carries. If he is such a great athlete and a good RB, why did Memphis give 3 other players more carries in 2019?  I am not totally out on him, but it's likely he has a slow start to his NFL career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got him in 15th in PPR Redraft Yesterday. He's a freak, they just need to find the right way to use him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 7:41 PM, Cobbler1 said:

Well I mean we’re talking the 11-15 range as the high side it seems, obviously 21 year old prime DJ is going 1 overall 🙂. In case you weren’t being hyperbolic. And he had 38 receptions (at 19 a pop!) that’s a pretty good sample size from which to evaluate a running back’s skillset!

 

https://youtu.be/ZU8dfjXf9QE
 

Watch 2:40-3:50. Catches a ball along the sideline 40 yards downfield. Catches a ball about 35 yards downfield down the middle. Contested sideline catch in the end zone. Lines up in the slot and runs underneath as a part of route combo. These are receiver things he’s doing. I have way more concerns about his ability as a runner than I do him running routes out of the backfield. 

Yep. 
 

Enjoyed watching him here at Memphis. It's important to consider the caliber of opposition in those videos, but he's one hell of an athlete. Nice cuts, solid burst, has a top gear, and all very rare at his size. Also has a good nose for the end zone. 

I'm not sure he's a good fit for a starting RB role, but I could see him as a 35-50 catch guy with a blend of backfield/slot use.... with upside from there if they find a bigger role for him. I think drafting him for much more than potential flex use is optimistic, but I don't think a few RB2 type games are off the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, [icon] said:

Got him in 15th in PPR Redraft Yesterday. He's a freak, they just need to find the right way to use him. 

Got him in round 12 which I am fine with (Bryce Love actually went round 11). It's worth a look but I am pretty sure he will be cut after 2 weeks. From what I have heard on some podcasts is that he was supposedly unreliable in college- didn't remember plays, ran wrong routes, etc. That could explain why he was so sparingly used in college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much upside with Gibson. I took him quite a bit before his ADP, but he's one of those prospects I simply didn't want to risk losing. It also helped I had several 2nds to play with.

It'll be interesting to see how many touches they give him out of the gate, but Gibson is a long-term play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Difference is Lindsay had 765 carries and 117 receptions in college. It was evident that he was a complete RB. Gibson had 44 college carries. If he is such a great athlete and a good RB, why did Memphis give 3 other players more carries in 2019?  I am not totally out on him, but it's likely he has a slow start to his NFL career.

I don’t know. There is no difference though as far as fantasy circles go. People were dismissive of Lindsey and they’re dismissive of Gibson. Gibson has gotten equally electric commentary out of camp as a rookie. More again today. Ignore at your own risk. 

Edited by Iceman03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iceman03 said:

I don’t know. There is no difference though as far as fantasy circles go. People were dismissive of Lindsey and they’re dismissive of Gibson. Gibson has gotten equally electric commentary out of camp as a rookie. More again today. Ignore at your own risk. 

Interesting. It seemed to be the fantasy community was too into Gibson but now that Love is getting so much praise, he's passing Gibson. I am definitely not ignoring Gibson if his ADP is double digits. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

John Keim @john_keim

Saw another example of Antonio Gibson's athleticism. He smoothly grabbed an Allen pass at his feet on the run. Tough grab. Has worked exclusively with the RBs. Yeah, will sit in some meetings with WRs as it pertains to his routes only. Wish could see him in a preseason game.

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1298000050388381697?s=21

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For redraft, might avoid. Even if you get both Love and Gibson late.... AP will still get carries and maybe Barber as well. Dynasty I’m much more intrigued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

For redraft, might avoid. Even if you get both Love and Gibson late.... AP will still get carries and maybe Barber as well. Dynasty I’m much more intrigued.

Sure but we know Barber is no good and at some point very soon the wheels are totally going to fall off on Peterson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson opened with the 1s today and had the first touches (2 good runs).

Not exactly sure what it means, but it's certainly interesting.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am excited about Washington's backfield, but I will not be at all surprised if this is a fantasy mess this season.  Peterson could still be the most valuable fantasy back on the team this season, but it is the incredible upside of both Love and Gibson that has me salivating.  Coach Rivera wants a McCaffrey-type back, and both Love and Gibson have elements of McCaffrey to their games.

After foregoing the draft and returning for his senior season at Stanford, Bryce Love was not only a Heisman hopeful, but some draftniks had him ranked as the best runner in his class.  There are some flaws to his game.  Love struggles in pass protection due to his size, his vision at the line-of-scrimmage is sometimes suspect, and he is not going to run through a lot of tackles, but he has a certain toughness to him and a high football IQ, and his pre-injury acceleration and open field speed were elite: he easily pulls away from defenders. In space, Love, like fellow Stanford alum Christian McCaffrey, has shown to be an elite back.  If Bryce Love has regained the skills and athleticism he possessed prior to his injury, he could be payoff huge.

Incredibly, Antonio Gibson may have even more juice in the open field than Love, has the requisite size that Love lacks, and he brings WR skills to the RB position.  There are nuances of the RB position that Gibson will need to develop, but Gibson is a dangerous weapon with the football in his hands.  Antonio Gibson is still a very raw RB prospect, so it may be necessary to temper immediate expectations, but it is easy to see why so many fans are excited to see the team get the ball into Gibson's hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Washington RB Antonio Gibson has received "a fair amount of first-team reps."

Washington's depth chart has names but lacks stand-out talent, particularly following Derrius Guice's release. In training camp, Adrian Peterson has received first-team reps whenever he's practiced, but Gibson and J.D. McKissic have also mixed in. Peyton Barber and Bryce Love appear to be behind them on the depth chart, as Washington team reporter Kevin Stackpole notes they've been working with the second- and third-team offenses. Gibson is still a total question mark heading into the season, but if he's good, he'll earn touches as the season progresses. Expect Peterson to handle early-down duties with Gibson as Washington's gadget player to begin the season. The new coaching staff reportedly has been implementing more pre-snap motion and reverses this offseason. That certainly helps Gibson's chances of becoming a startable fantasy asset down the line.

SOURCE: WashingtonFootball.com

Aug 25, 2020, 7:34 PM ET

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked this clown in one of those draft-only best ball leagues at a time when I desperately needed a RB. Turns out he only counts as a WR. 

Never again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Picked this clown in one of those draft-only best ball leagues at a time when I desperately needed a RB. Turns out he only counts as a WR. 

Never again. 

What format?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

That link is bestball. 

Formerly known as MFL10 - got sold. Haven't got used it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Picked this clown in one of those draft-only best ball leagues at a time when I desperately needed a RB. Turns out he only counts as a WR. 

Never again. 

That's too bad. He is a RB in FFPC and MFL. I haven't looked on ESPN yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

That's too bad. He is a RB in FFPC and MFL. I haven't looked on ESPN yet. 

RB in ESPN and Yahoo, I would try to contact whatever company has him as a WR only and protest. He is a RB, even wears a RB number.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, Ilov80s said:

Difference is Lindsay had 765 carries and 117 receptions in college. It was evident that he was a complete RB. Gibson had 44 college carries. If he is such a great athlete and a good RB, why did Memphis give 3 other players more carries in 2019?  I am not totally out on him, but it's likely he has a slow start to his NFL career.

I learned long ago to quit asking this.  A vast majority of sub-level coaches do thing because it's "their way".  From being a run-focused team despite having a stud arm QB or from being an RBBC coach despite having the next LT in your backfield, college coaches got where they are because they did it this way and they aren't going to change it for one player.  I'm mostly out on him at his price, but not because of this.  For whatever reason he didn't get the touches in college, the fact is he doesn't have greenfield RB instincts.  RB learn to read blocks and holes and angles and pursuit through reps far more than anything else, and a guy that hasn't had those reps just isn't going to have sustained success carrying the football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I learned long ago to quit asking this.  A vast majority of sub-level coaches do thing because it's "their way".  From being a run-focused team despite having a stud arm QB or from being an RBBC coach despite having the next LT in your backfield, college coaches got where they are because they did it this way and they aren't going to change it for one player.  I'm mostly out on him at his price, but not because of this.  For whatever reason he didn't get the touches in college, the fact is he doesn't have greenfield RB instincts.  RB learn to read blocks and holes and angles and pursuit through reps far more than anything else, and a guy that hasn't had those reps just isn't going to have sustained success carrying the football. 

Yeah I do get this though it’s hard for me to call the Memphis coach sub level because their offense was one of the most productive and efficient out there. The guys playing ahead of Gibson were putting up video game numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I do get this though it’s hard for me to call the Memphis coach sub level because their offense was one of the most productive and efficient out there. The guys playing ahead of Gibson were putting up video game numbers.

Which circles back to Gibson in my opinion as I think the coaches were more than competent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I do get this though it’s hard for me to call the Memphis coach sub level because their offense was one of the most productive and efficient out there. The guys playing ahead of Gibson were putting up video game numbers.

I didn't really mean this as pejoratively as it sounded.  "Sub-level" in this context meant anything below NFL level.  HS and college coaches tend to not coach to their players, they coach to their system and the individual talents be damned.  They'll fit into my structure or they won't be on the field.  We see it with Saban and his RBBC commmitment (and how long did it take him to adapt to a remotely mobile QB offense?) and at tOSU Urban Meyer cost himself a couple more legit national championship opportunities because he stuck with JT Barrett who ran the system he loved over guys like Burrow and Haskins who were clearly better QB's.  And that's not just in retrospect, we saw at every spring game those guys were better players than JT was.  Can you imagine had Burrow not transferred?  Meyer's pig-headedness might have put that guy at Merryl Lynch in May instead of the NFL.  Unreal.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I didn't really mean this as pejoratively as it sounded.  "Sub-level" in this context meant anything below NFL level.  HS and college coaches tend to not coach to their players, they coach to their system and the individual talents be damned.  They'll fit into my structure or they won't be on the field.  We see it with Saban and his RBBC commmitment (and how long did it take him to adapt to a remotely mobile QB offense?) and at tOSU Urban Meyer cost himself a couple more legit national championship opportunities because he stuck with JT Barrett who ran the system he loved over guys like Burrow and Haskins who were clearly better QB's.  And that's not just in retrospect, we saw at every spring game those guys were better players than JT was.  Can you imagine had Burrow not transferred?  Meyer's pig-headedness might have put that guy at Merryl Lynch in May instead of the NFL.  Unreal.

That's why I've always viewed these big football factories with skepticism. Granted, you get total studs out of the programs that recruit the best, but you wonder if along the way they haven't really missed something. Think Kurt Warner. And that's a QB. It took Trent Green going down and an open mind in Vermeil to even think about it. I played hockey for guys like these coaches and if you don't fit the system, you're not playing. You're just a step in some hot tar to them. It's why they stay in college, great though they may be there.

Just by way of saying that I get what you're getting at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to believe the hype. Love and Barber could be camp cuts. If that’s the case it’s AD is 35 and McKissic is 190lbs. The coaching staff may force this down our throats yet and I am here for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Faust said:

 

 

Wow!  I was an early believe based on the other word elusiveness I saw on his highlights.  But the low usage is a legit concern. However, if he truly is pushing both Love and Barber to be on the cutting block, that speaks volumes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys like this rarely pan out so I will have to see it to believe it, which means I will miss the boat if he takes off. Got rid of him in a package for McLaurin. I have a firm rule that I cannot carry more than one Football Team player on my squad at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping an injured Love for ages, finally healthy, he lights up training camp and then they cut him? Makes no sense at all. I know it’s the Football Team but come on. It’s not gonna happen unless he is not healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez hyperbole much. FWIW I think that blurb is referring to game day actives not that they’ll necessarily cut Love. But if accurate it would seem to indicate they feel decent about Gibson running between the tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Guys like this rarely pan out so I will have to see it to believe it, which means I will miss the boat if he takes off. Got rid of him in a package for McLaurin. I have a firm rule that I cannot carry more than one Football Team player on my squad at a time.

This is the only argument against this kid that holds water. It's a strong one, tho. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Geez hyperbole much. FWIW I think that blurb is referring to game day actives not that they’ll necessarily cut Love. But if accurate it would seem to indicate they feel decent about Gibson running between the tackles.

Agreed.  All this means to me is they all have defined rolls...

Peterson is the starter and 2 down bacK

McKissic is the 3rd down back

Gibson is the “Offensive weapon” who will be used in several different ways

BUT I expect that if Peterson were to get injured, Love is the direct backup and would be the starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Boone22 said:

Agreed.  All this means to me is they all have defined rolls...

Peterson is the starter and 2 down bacK

McKissic is the 3rd down back

Gibson is the “Offensive weapon” who will be used in several different ways

BUT I expect that if Peterson were to get injured, Love is the direct backup and would be the starter.

You all are in denial. He’s been with the 1’s all camp getting a ton of work. At it again today:

“Gibson just plowed through the goal line for the touchdown. Nine plays, 6 pass, three run. Haskins was 4/5 and barely missed Logan Thomas in the end zone.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Boone22 said:

All this means to me is they all have defined rolls...

Slow your role, Boone22. This guy's gonna get some massive run. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.