What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I don't think there will be football for a couple of years (1 Viewer)

gocats

Footballguy
There won't be a vaccine for at least 2 years and enough to give everyone for at least 4. U can't have 50,000 thousand people in a stadium with a virus going around. There won't be football for a couple of years if ever. There won't be any professional sports for years to come if ever again.

They may allow a certain # of people at the games and allow the luxury boxes to be occupied.

Forget season tickets though barring a magical treatment that keeps people out of the hospital.

There won't be a vaccine for at least 2 years and enough to give everyone for at least 4. U can't have 50,000 thousand people in a stadium with a virus going around. There won't be football for a couple of years if ever. There won't be any professional sports for years to come if ever again.
Jeez, quite apocalyptic.

I agree there won't be fans at games, but saying they wont play this season is wrong.  If "EVER"??? Seriously?

I think we see a full season or 14 game season with tight restrictions on fans (either none, or under 50% full with a seat in between everyone).  I think food and booze might not be served though this year. 

I would love the Jaguars to move to London to add a permanent fourth Sunday window (early morning)
lol if covid is running rampant and no fans are allowed at games, then having international travel to an empty London stadium doesn't make any sense :P

Im fine with it truth be told, the game day experience is so much better In my man cave on tv....
I get that, but part of the game day experience enjoyed in the comfort of the house, comes from the atmosphere of the games generated by the people in the stadium. It’s obviously better than nothing, but empty stadiums and silence is going to detract massively from the game day spectacle. 

Im a sports cameraman by trade, so I need sport back as quickly as possible even if it’s behind closed doors, so I’m not advocating that it shouldn’t happen. I just think one of the things that makes the NFL so exciting ( and actually as a sport I believe it’s one that works better watching coverage than being at live ) is the atmosphere when the game gets to the end of the  4th quarter and it’s a one score game. 

Pretty much. Sports will resume sooner rather than later with no spectators. 
It'll probably be more interesting without fans too. 

There is nothing that ruins my enjoyment of games in the last couple years, than the fans. Specifically, the drunk lady just screaming seemingly right into a microphone(a staple of Patriots/Packers games) for 4 quarters for no reason. Or the annoying crap some teams hand out to "make noise" its so annoying. One of the things I actually like about the red zone channel is the host often talks over the audio feeds. 

Also the noises teams play over the PA to get the fans to cheer. Looking at you, Buffalo!

got to watch one italian calcio match beofre it shut down. in an empty stadium. 

it was horrific. the entire experience was ho hum, and you can tell the players are affected. The gameplay lacked the normal intensity. 

70k fans missing is turrible. 

It'll probably be more interesting without fans too. 

There is nothing that ruins my enjoyment of games in the last couple years, than the fans. Specifically, the drunk lady just screaming seemingly right into a microphone(a staple of Patriots/Packers games) for 4 quarters for no reason. Or the annoying crap some teams hand out to "make noise" its so annoying. One of the things I actually like about the red zone channel is the host often talks over the audio feeds. 

Also the noises teams play over the PA to get the fans to cheer. Looking at you, Buffalo!
It will be interesting for about a week for me. Sports without fans in the stands full time sounds pretty terrible. 

5 TVs in mine. They need to change the schedules and play more 4:30 games than 3 though.
If there are no fans at games, I'd like to see the schedule staggered so games start at noon and a new round of games start on the hour. Also allow fans a pay per view option so we can choose what games to watch.

It will be interesting for about a week for me. Sports without fans in the stands full time sounds pretty terrible. 
I think a more intimate(for lack of a better word) experience could be an improvement. More sounds of pads hitting each other, more audible trash talking, more hearing what players/coaches are yelling before plays. I can see that being a good trade off, versus crowd noise.

NFL and major college will be ok due to the tv contracts. Small college and high school programs could have a real problem.

I think a more intimate(for lack of a better word) experience could be an improvement. More sounds of pads hitting each other, more audible trash talking, more hearing what players/coaches are yelling before plays. I can see that being a good trade off, versus crowd noise.
It would be different for sure. I just think the crowd, especially at a big important game, makes the experience more enjoyable. Watching the home team skate around with the Stanley Cup in front of an empty arena would just be weird. Different strokes I guess. 

NFL and major college will be ok due to the tv contracts. Small college and high school programs could have a real problem.
I think all college sports are going to have an issue.  Universities will be afraid of exposing themselves to lawsuits and the whole amateur athletic thing.  I hope I’m wrong.

There still playing soccer in Sweden with fans watching.

One person can be crazy and act irrational for a long time, maybe he has a chemical imbalance or something. But a large group of people can sometimes act irrationally in like a mob, but this doesn't usually last for too long. People are loving the entertainment and purpose of this quarantine right now, but I don't see that sentiment even lasting til September for football season.

This is a great idea. Mic up several of the players on each team and the coaches.  

you think the nfl/networks are gonna allow all that trash talk/foul language/racial banter to go all willy nilly on network tv?

no chance.

in "Accidental" doses, it flies... but not as a regular part of a 3hrs program

A vaccine is the obvious end game, but it's not the only game in town.  The development of therapies or treatments would entirely change the situation.  Right now, there is no treatment.  Even the use of a ventilator is simply a keep-the-person alive measure, not a way to make things better.  Having a treatment available obviously changes everything.  I believe there are 70 or so proteins currently being tested?  While I can't speak to the science of that, the people I work with (I work in public health in a communications role - I am not an expert!) seem to think that it's reasonable to expect the development of treatments.

A non-science point...let us not forget how craven and greedy the NFL and its owners are!  Also consider a scenario in which college and high school football don't take place, and the NFL could occupy TV slots on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (or maybe 4 of the 5).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no football without significant interruption this year. It'll decimate the season and fantasy years. My opinion is one should act accordingly with that. 

There's football next year.

There. You have my opinion.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of season this year. 

widespread testing will be a game changer at some point. 

Dont need anyone in the stands. Thats not where the $ is made.

Exactly. We'll see all these professional sports playing games in empty stadiums while the BILLION dollar TV revenue and advertising is moving along full steam ahead. 
Pretty much. Sports will resume sooner rather than later with no spectators. 
The record setting draft this year shows exactly what’s going to happen.  The season will start on time and ratings will be through the roof. 

Exactly. We'll see all these professional sports playing games in empty stadiums while the BILLION dollar TV revenue and advertising is moving along full steam ahead. 
It doesn't matter they have to have the ok to play and they're not going to get that and u can't have the players playing with the virus going around. U can't protect the players.

It doesn't matter they have to have the ok to play and they're not going to get that and u can't have the players playing with the virus going around. U can't protect the players.
There is already a 15 minute test available. I’m sure the NFL will pay whatever the cost is to test the coaches, players, referees, camera crew,  etc. before each game. I think they will pick a few venues to play the games at, and will have state of the art testing set up at all of them. The season is going to be a whole different experience, but I’d be pretty surprised if they don’t play in 2020. 

Studies are already narrowing down who is truly vulnerable to extreme immune system responses and why. Society should do what it can to ensure those people are protected and cared for. However, with that knowledge (not yet complete) and an abundance of tests, there will no longer be a need to crush society to do so.

The real concern is when the next [far more deadly] pandemic happens.

Studies are already narrowing down who is truly vulnerable to extreme immune system responses and why. Society should do what it can to ensure those people are protected and cared for. However, with that knowledge (not yet complete) and an abundance of tests, there will no longer be a need to crush society to do so.

I’m more concerned with a second wave of this one. I really hope it doesn’t happen, but it’s definitely a possibility. If it happens in the fall, all bets are off as far as the NFL goes. 

Sounds a whole lot better then no sports.  
Definitely not going to argue that. My argument was more which I prefer, fans or no fans. The crowd is a huge part of the experience obviously. If we get any kind of meaningful sports in the near future I’ll definitely be glued to the TV near term. I mean, I rewatched day 3 of the draft today :lol:  

A vaccine is the obvious end game, but it's not the only game in town.  The development of therapies or treatments would entirely change the situation.  Right now, there is no treatment.  Even the use of a ventilator is simply a keep-the-person alive measure, not a way to make things better.  Having a treatment available obviously changes everything.  I believe there are 70 or so proteins currently being tested?  While I can't speak to the science of that, the people I work with (I work in public health in a communications role - I am not an expert!) seem to think that it's reasonable to expect the development of treatments.

A non-science point...let us not forget how craven and greedy the NFL and its owners are!  Also consider a scenario in which college and high school football don't take place, and the NFL could occupy TV slots on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (or maybe 4 of the 5).
If the vaccine is as good as the flu shot then we're all going to need to get used to covid being around like the flu.

I have read people over 65 are particularly vulnerable. If true, that puts 75% of the NFL refs on ice. 😜

Hmmm, that might not be a bad thing. 

If the vaccine is as good as the flu shot then we're all going to need to get used to covid being around like the flu.
That's a possibility - there could be variations of strains of COVID that a vaccine, or an annual vaccine, won't cover entirely.  We know the flu vaccine sometimes isn't completely accurate, but many years it is quite effective.  And we've seen various levels of social distancing during bad flu seasons, like nursing homes or hospitals effectively banning guests.

However, with the flu, we have treatments.  Tamiflu is a good example.  So even in bad flu seasons, we can treat people with the flu.  We know people will still die from the flu each year, but we're also able to cycle people in and out of the hospitals because treatments are available.

Users who are viewing this thread