What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many spaces go after a period? (1 Viewer)

How many spaces should be typed after a period?

• One

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Two

Votes: 87 50.9%
  • It's anarchy, baby!

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
As mentioned in my first post, I happen to be a double spacer myself.  I was taught that way in typing class and it is an ingrained habit.  I suppose I could relearn to single space with some effort, but I see no reason to bend to the blowing winds of change in this case.

I learned to type on a manual Smith-Corona typewriter in 1979. It's too late to change for me, I'm a double-spacer.  I am cool with single spacing, but like the programs that simply fix it for you instead of showing an error.

Don't get me started on those Oxford comma zealots.  They scare me.

It used to be two spaces and now it’s only one. I took a writing class a few years ago and was informed of the change. 
Yeah, one of the articles mentioned that the style guides have slowly been moving towards single space.  Personally I still think double looks better, but I'm not militant about it.  I feel much more strongly about the Oxford comma - I think it avoids needless confusion and don't get the opposition to it.  

Yeah, one of the articles mentioned that the style guides have slowly been moving towards single space.  Personally I still think double looks better, but I'm not militant about it.  I feel much more strongly about the Oxford comma - I think it avoids needless confusion and don't get the opposition to it.  
I feel strongly about both.  And my perspective is always the same — opposite of whatever millennials are trying to force me to do.

I feel strongly about both.  And my perspective is always the same — opposite of whatever millennials are trying to force me to do.
I hear you on that front.  I try to be live and let live and if people want to single space everything go have at it.  Vive la difference.  But when some group declares themselves the Final Arbiter and tells me that what used to be standard is now somehow "wrong", it makes me want to type 3 spaces just to spite them!

Last edited by a moderator:
the motive intent of good living is in this, as well as the charge against a lack of necessity in communication

i'm more slovenly, haphazard, deconstructive, abbreviatey in my e-speak than most, but i hope people realize that i could redpen a presidential speech (*clears throat* a real President) in a heartbeat and that is the firm basis from which i leap into the metaphor folks enjoy. one dont happen without the other, the jazz is weak if the scales is loose. nufced

I’ve been doing 2 all my life but have switched to one over the past six months.
Yup, switched years ago when the style guides started being updated and our company adopted 1 space as our official style. My boss is only a year older than me but hasn’t made the change. It drives me nuts because we frequently grab similar proposals or reports to re-use and if it’s something he’s touched I need to carefully go through it to make sure it’s at least consistent one way or the other.

This isn't that hard, and drives me insane at work. I've implemented a "one space after period" policy for all writing.

In the "old days" when we learned to type, we were taught two spaces after a period because typewriters are fixed-width fonts. It makes it easier to see the period if you put two spaces after a period. But, look at a magazine from the old days - you won't see two spaces after periods, because they didn't use fixed width fonts.

Nowadays, we no longer use fixed-width in every day life, unless you are using currier font. So, we now use one space because there is no need for two spaces after a period.

Things really haven't changed at all. If you are using fixed-width fonts, use two spaces. If you are not, use one space. End of story.

I'm ready to make the change to one space after a long lifetime of two spaces. I do find that when I use two spaces, it can mess up a line as the 'extra' space starts off a new line and throws things off.

It's one.   But I'll always use two.   
Agreed.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks and went through my entire academic career and close to 20 years professionally before I found out 1 space was a thing.  Can't change now.

Agreed.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks and went through my entire academic career and close to 20 years professionally before I found out 1 space was a thing.  Can't change now.
Things haven't changed at all. If you ever used a fixed-width font, use two spaces. If you aren't using a fixed-width font, use one space. 

Same as it's ever been...

Things haven't changed at all. If you ever used a fixed-width font, use two spaces. If you aren't using a fixed-width font, use one space. 

Same as it's ever been...
That's way too detailed.  I just type emails and occasional letters.  Since I learned to type in the 80's it was 2 spaces.  All my papers in high school and college were 2 spaces.  Sorry hard to change.  If I was a professional writer, then maybe, but I'm not. 

Due to COVID-19 everyone should now use 6 spaces after a period.  This will be in affect at least through the month of May and then be re-evaluated.

Two for long-form narratives -- books, articles, white-papers, etc.

For business applications, one for brevity and helping to "shorten" a document.

For email, text, etc. - one. In fact, you get a bonus for using periods and proper punctuation to begin with.

One space. No Oxford comma. The possessive for singular words that end in s is s-apostrophe (eg, “my boss’ desk”). Same reason for all: use as many characters as you need to get your point across and no more. 

One space. No Oxford comma. The possessive for singular words that end in s is s-apostrophe (eg, “my boss’ desk”). Same reason for all: use as many characters as you need to get your point across and no more. 
Agreed, except for the Oxford comma. Too many situations where the point gets misconstrued.

Two for long-form narratives -- books, articles, white-papers, etc.

For business applications, one for brevity and helping to "shorten" a document.

For email, text, etc. - one. In fact, you get a bonus for using periods and proper punctuation to begin with.
Disagree. Pick up a book It an article and look at it. It will most likely have on space after periods.

Users who are viewing this thread