What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Never Be Broken - EVER (With Pole) (1 Viewer)

which is toughest to achieve?

• Back to Back to Back No-Hitters

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • 2,663 Consecutive Games Played

Votes: 73 46.8%
  • 57 Game Hitting Streak

Votes: 19 12.2%

• Total voters

otb_lifer

Footballguy
was watching a replay of Randy Johnson's perfect game last night, and the announcers blagged on about which baseball record is toughest to beat. 

dude said that according to the oddsmakers, Joe D's 56 game hitting streak has the least amount of probability. 

whaaa?? 

to me, it's Cy Young's 511 career wins - no one will ever come remotely close, you'd need to average 20 wins per year for 25 seasons to still be 12 short of breaking it.   this will stand forever, so i won't include it in this pole. 

so let's look at these 2, alongside the 56 straight ...

i think one that is tougher than 56 straight, and it's rarely talked about - Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no- hitters.  

to break that record one would need to throw three consecutive no-hitters.   

yeah, no. 

i'll also toss Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games up in here, seeing as how that's gonna take the better part of 14 and 1/2 seasons of appearing in every game to break.  

as far as Joe D's 56 straight, Rose threatened with 44, iirc - so he was in the ballpark - 

but no pitcher has ever tossed back to back no hitters to even remotely challenge Vander Meer -

and Ripken more than doubles the cat in third place (we all know about Gehrig, but Everett Scott did hold the previous record with 1,307) ... the closest current guy was Alcides Escobar, who topped out at 421 straight - less than 20% of Ripken's mark. 

sooo ... who ya got as toughest to beat after Young's 511?

:popcorn:

was watching a replay of Randy Johnson's perfect game last night, and the announcers blagged on about which baseball record is toughest to beat. 

dude said that according to the oddsmakers, Joe D's 56 game hitting streak has the least amount of probability. 

whaaa?? 

to me, it's Cy Young's 511 career wins - no one will ever come remotely close, you'd need to average 20 wins per year for 25 seasons to still be 12 short of breaking it.   this will stand forever, so i won't include it in this pole. 

so let's look at these 2, alongside the 56 straight ...

i think one that is tougher than 56 straight, and it's rarely talked about - Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no- hitters.  

to break that record one would need to throw three consecutive no-hitters.   

yeah, no. 

i'll also toss Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games up in here, seeing as how that's gonna take the better part of 14 and 1/2 seasons of appearing in every game to break.  

as far as Joe D's 56 straight, Rose threatened with 44, iirc - so he was in the ballpark - 

but no pitcher has ever tossed back to back no hitters to even remotely challenge Vander Meer -

and Ripken more than doubles the cat in third place (we all know about Gehrig, but Everett Scott did hold the previous record with 1,307) ... the closest current guy was Alcides Escobar, who topped out at 421 straight - less than 20% of Ripken's mark. 

sooo ... who ya got as toughest to beat after Young's 511?

:popcorn:
Two grand slams in the same inning against the same pitcher.

nice. 

but i'm hoping to settle a bet with the three i listed. 

:coffee:
While Ripken's records isn't likely to be beat, if some one really set out to do it, it would seem possible at least. While back to back to back no-hitters isn't literally impossible for all intents and purposes it sure seems to be (heck three complete games in a row would be a feat in modern baseball).

Went with Ripken, as improbable as the other two are there’s still a chance

in today’s game I just don’t see anyone playing that long without a day off.  You’d have to be an absolute superstar to even garner that kind of everyday PT, and with the investment teams make in these guys any minor nagging injury is going to get them a day of rest

While Ripken's records isn't likely to be beat, if some one really set out to do it, it would seem possible at least. While back to back to back no-hitters isn't literally impossible for all intents and purposes it sure seems to be (heck three complete games in a row would be a feat in modern baseball).
yep, exactly what i think as well. 

it's attrition vs achievement 

your point about 3 consecutive complete games, let alone no-hitters, really hammers it home.  

Went with Ripken, as improbable as the other two are there’s still a chance

in today’s game I just don’t see anyone playing that long without a day off.  You’d have to be an absolute superstar to even garner that kind of everyday PT, and with the investment teams make in these guys any minor nagging injury is going to get them a day of rest
as i said above, it's a case of attrition - not to downplay it, but the other two will require some amazing luck/talent - showing up for 2,663 is not easy, but i think it's easier - someone sets out to do that, it can be done. 

no player can set out to do the other two simply by showing up. 

ftr, i don't see it (2,663) happening. 

consecutive games will be the easiest of the three. Most guys keep themselves in great shape.
Doesnt matter. Players rarely play the 16 or so years needed to get to 2600. Additionally, I think only 5 players played all 162 last year, so essentially, no current players have a chance. 

This is what I went with.

B2B no-hitters.  Somebody with crazy stuff with luck to play a crappy team twice in a row could do it.  Would need a little luck with the teams and in the field.  The starting streak is unbelievable and to be honest, I don't think it will ever be broken but it could.  Plenty of MLB players don't miss games because of real injuries.  IF a manager decides to play his best player every game and they play through small injuries it could be done.  The reason it won't is load management and salaries but I think it would be the easiest to accomplish if someone just let it happen. 

Voted the consecutive games.  Heard a fun little fact the other day that when Ripken started the streak in the beginning, he went up against Gaylord Parry (Perry?) who started pitching in MLB when JFK was in office.  Towards the end of the streak, Ripken faced Bartolo Colon who pitched into the Trump presidency.  Thought that was neat as a history nerd.

So I voted, but as a huge fan, I'd like to mention Nolan Ryan's 5,700+ strike outs.  Randy Johnson is #2 at 4,800.  That's an astounding gap.

Three no-hitters in a row seems like an impossibility but flukey things can and do happen in sports.  I just can't envision the modern athlete breaking Ripken's record.  Not with 'load management' and new-wave managers trying to out fox the game of baseball.  The hitting streak to me is there for the taking.  I could see some of these young cats gunning for it.  Trout or Yelich or Betts have a lot of baseball ahead of them and they are so f'n good at being selective and putting the ball in play.

yep, exactly what i think as well. 

it's attrition vs achievement 

your point about 3 consecutive complete games, let alone no-hitters, really hammers it home.  
Poll does not say complete game no-hitters. Do combined no-hitters count for this purpose?

Nobody will ever break Cal Ripken's consecutive games played record that came in over 16 MLB seasons of playing every single game.

First of all you have to be good enough to last at least 17 seasons in MLB which is a feat in itself, second you have to never be injured and if you play FBB you know how red flags are on your roster everyday and how difficult that is.

Third you have to have a manger willing to put you in 162 times a year.   Ripken got a great start on his streak as his dad Cal Ripken SR was his manager while getting the streak going.  Once it turned into the Ironman streak no manager wanted to break it even when he was struggling and needed a rest.   I think the longest active streak now is around 250 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with games played streak.  No one is going to beat that one.  3 consecutive no-nos is probably impossible, but who knows.  

Another record that is not going to be touched is Pete Rose's 4256 hits.  No way no how.  Still can't believe he's not in the HOF.  Probably after he passes.  

Voted 2663, since that is a long career that most players don't get, on top of a multitude of reasons to miss a game due to injury/sickness/having a baby/bereavement etc. Plus I imagine there will be more effort to rest players in the future for health reasons, kind of how much more rare it became for a NFL RB to get 400+ carries (or even 350) again. In the top 50 RB carries/year there is 1 RB from the last 10 years (Murray in 2014). Granted there are changes to the game that also affect that, but in general I think coaches for the most part are less likely to run players into the ground as fast as they did in the past.

As stated above, Ripken's record will undoubtedly stand because today's game - and today's players - are not set up to achieve that milestone between injuries, lineup maneuverings, player desire, etc. 

That said, statistically speaking, I think it has a better chance of happening than three straight no-hitters if a superstar wants to break Ripken's record badly enough. With no-hitters, there are an inordinate number of variables that have to play out perfectly to pitch one no-hitter, let alone three of them in succession.

I am shocked it's so close.  3 consecutive no-hitters will never ever happen.  Think of it this way - the other records have already been achieved, right?  2 consecutive no-hitters has been done only 1 time in history.  If the poll was to repeat that, I would've voted Ripken's streak.

I am shocked it's so close.  3 consecutive no-hitters will never ever happen.  Think of it this way - the other records have already been achieved, right?  2 consecutive no-hitters has been done only 1 time in history.  If the poll was to repeat that, I would've voted Ripken's streak.
Yeah this was my vote given the way the poll has been written in that somebody has to break it by eclipsing is (I'd probably give equal improbability to breaking the two grand slams in one inning record because just getting that third AB is so improbable). 

This is a very easy choice to me.  Ripkens record may be the "easiest" to break however with the money in today's game and the knowledge of nutrition/fitness there is no reason to go after that record.  Days off are part of the way to stay fresh for the important games that matter and since the money is so good players don't need to play as long as they once did.  I am sure some may play for that long but a day off in year 3 and they start over.   There is no incentive to beat it.

The other two would take a lot of luck (especially hitting streak) and likely won't happen but all it takes is someone on a hot streak in one season to get it done.  That seems more likely than someone playing day in and day out for 16 and a half years

Yeah this was my vote given the way the poll has been written in that somebody has to break it by eclipsing it
it's not how it's written, it's flat out statistical reality - one has to throw three straight to best it - that's fact, not semantics. 

ftr, in Vandy's start after the two straight, he carried a no-hitter into the 4th  ... so dude went 21 straight no hit innings. 

As stated above, Ripken's record will undoubtedly stand because today's game - and today's players - are not set up to achieve that milestone between injuries, lineup maneuverings, player desire, etc. 

That said, statistically speaking, I think it has a better chance of happening than three straight no-hitters if a superstar wants to break Ripken's record badly enough. With no-hitters, there are an inordinate number of variables that have to play out perfectly to pitch one no-hitter, let alone three of them in succession.
and the money in the game. i know it's a different sport, but i heard yesterday that mediocre QB Alex Smith has booked over $160million in lifetime earnings. There ain't a precaution a person wouldnt take to protect that kind of earning potential, no matter how determined to dance all the dances they might be

Ripkens record will never be approached. Load mgmt will see to that. 

Ripken wouldnt have even had a chance to break gehrigs in today's game.

Three no hitters will probably never happen either and load mgmt would play there as well, but you just never know how talented a future guy could be and could straddle a season or even personal leave or load mgmt IR trips. 

The longest streaks lately are what 400 games? Not only do you have to stay healthy and not have a team load manage you, you also have to remain the statistical better play analytically every day for 16 years? Yeah, nope. 

No pitcher has ever thrown 3 consecutive no-hitters.  Here are a few other things that have never happened, but are more likely...

- Back to back perfect games
- Perfect game with 27 strikeouts
- 5 HR's in a game
- Hitting for the cycle twice in the same game

I don't think some people are really getting the magnitude of 3 no-no's.  It's like Usain Bolt running sub 9 seconds!   :)

No pitcher has ever thrown 3 consecutive no-hitters.  Here are a few other things that have never happened, but are more likely...

- Back to back perfect games
- Perfect game with 27 strikeouts
- 5 HR's in a game
- Hitting for the cycle twice in the same game

I don't think some people are really getting the magnitude of 3 no-no's.  It's like Usain Bolt running sub 9 seconds!   :)

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread