What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Never Be Broken - EVER (With Pole) (1 Viewer)

which is toughest to achieve?

• Back to Back to Back No-Hitters

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • 2,663 Consecutive Games Played

Votes: 73 46.8%
  • 57 Game Hitting Streak

Votes: 19 12.2%

• Total voters
Joe D and 56 straight ...

Rose had 44 some 42 years ago, but is the only modern player to crack 40. 

Molitor (39) in '87, and Rollins (38) in '06 only ones who seriously flirted with 40, which is still only roughly 75%  

Joe D and 56 straight ...

Rose had 44 some 42 years ago, but is the only modern player to crack 40. 

Molitor (39) in '87, and Rollins (38) in '06 only ones who seriously flirted with 40, which is still only roughly 75%  
So, that's 3 players who made it to 75% of Joe's record.  And counting Joe himself, that makes 4.

Gehrig made it to 75% of Cal's record, so that makes 2.

Let's do the math on players making it 75% of the way to 3 no-no's, shall we?

So, that's 3 players who made it to 75% of Joe's record.  And counting Joe himself, that makes 4.

Gehrig made it to 75% of Cal's record, so that makes 2.

Let's do the math on players making it 75% of the way to 3 no-no's, shall we?
exactly. 

as i said earlier, only one who came close was Vandy himself, who had 3 nono innings in the books the start right after his two in a row. 

While I agree with you, that is one small sample size.
not necessarily ... both Nolan Ryan and Vandy's teammate Ewell Blackwell both carried no hitters into the 9th inning after pitching one in their previous start ... but failed to match. 

but, again - it just goes to show how amazing THREE straight truly is. 

consecutive game is never going to be broken - the other two - while unlikely, someone could get incredibly lucky/hot for a period of time. The longevity alone makes Cal's record untouchable. 

not necessarily ... both Nolan Ryan and Vandy's teammate Ewell Blackwell both carried no hitters into the 9th inning after pitching one in their previous start ... but failed to match. 

but, again - it just goes to show how amazing THREE straight truly is. 
Great find!

consecutive games will be the easiest of the three. Most guys keep themselves in great shape.
I disagree.  They may be in great shape, but by design they are given days off.  Players not longer have the opportunity to break the consecutive game record.  At least hitters and pitchers can have an opportunity to break the other two.

Least likely - consecutive games

not likely - back to back to back no hitter

Still slim, but most likely of the three - 57 game hit streak

it's not how it's written, it's flat out statistical reality - one has to throw three straight to best it - that's fact, not semantics. 

ftr, in Vandy's start after the two straight, he carried a no-hitter into the 4th  ... so dude went 21 straight no hit innings. 
Pole as written says “which is toughest to achieve?” And then lists back to back no hitters, so while your pole does not correctly depict what you are going for

edit: never mind can’t read correctly 

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree.  They may be in great shape, but by design they are given days off.  Players not longer have the opportunity to break the consecutive game record.  At least hitters and pitchers can have an opportunity to break the other two.

Least likely - consecutive games

not likely - back to back to back no hitter

Still slim, but most likely of the three - 57 game hit streak
I am speechless!  At least I can still type though.  Which of the 3 records has never even been approached, by anyone, ever?  Until a player is allowed to pitch with a bionic arm, throwing 200 MPH, with pinpoint accuracy, 3 nono's will never happen.  But, if such a player is ever found, he will throw unlimited perfect games.

And I will agree that Ripken’s is technically the easiest to break it is also the least realistic of the 3 to be beaten 

I am speechless!  At least I can still type though.  Which of the 3 records has never even been approached, by anyone, ever?  Until a player is allowed to pitch with a bionic arm, throwing 200 MPH, with pinpoint accuracy, 3 nono's will never happen.  But, if such a player is ever found, he will throw unlimited perfect games.
Miguel Tejada is the only player to have a 1,000-plus consecutive game streak this millennium

he wasn’t even halfway there with 1152

Miguel Tejada is the only player to have a 1,000-plus consecutive game streak this millennium

he wasn’t even halfway there with 1152
Cal Ripken did play in 2632 straight games
Joe Dimaggio did hit safely in 56 straight
No player has ever come close to 3 straight no-hitters

Cal Ripken did play in 2632 straight games
Joe Dimaggio did hit safely in 56 straight
No player has ever come close to 3 straight no-hitters
So by that rationale do you think Cy Young’s 511 wins is more likely to be beaten than the Consecutive no hitters?

So by that rationale do you think Cy Young’s 511 wins is more likely to be beaten than the Consecutive no hitters?
Good question.  We obviously know the game has changed, and Cy's 511 won't be challenged.  But let me respond by asking, how is it possible for Cy to have 511 wins, yet never throw even consecutive no-hitters, let alone a third one?

Good question.  We obviously know the game has changed, and Cy's 511 won't be challenged.  But let me respond by asking, how is it possible for Cy to have 511 wins, yet never throw even consecutive no-hitters, let alone a third one?
Winz doin' work 

:popcorn:

Exactly.  The game changes

based on the current game as we know it I think Ripken’s is the least likely to fall

in 50 years if we have bionic players and nanobot technology I might change my tune

I'd throw in Nolan Ryan's strikeout record of 5714.  It would take 19 years of 300 strikeouts to get close.  That'll never happen in today's game.

FTR, Cal Ripken was just an average ballplayer who managed to stay healthy.  By longevity alone, he made it to the 3000 hit club.  Of the 32 on the list, guess who has the lowest batting average?  If Cal didn't have the streak, we would likely know his younger brother better.  At least he has a cool baseball card!

I took it as which record is the most unlikely to be broken which I see differently than toughest to complete.  The reason I have a distinction is that I think the games played streak is easiest to complete but is the most unlikely because of the way the game is played now.  I just don't see anybody playing every game for 16+ years because of the money and knowledge regarding days off for improved play.  I just don't think anybody will ever be given a chance.

However, every player has a chance to pass the hitting streak and every player that throws a no hitter has a chance at another one.  I think they are much more difficult activities but players will actually have the opportunity (doubtful they will complete them but the opportunity is there).

So based on the actual poll question "Which is toughest to break?"  I would agree that three consecutive  no hitters is the answer.  I answered Ripken because I took it as which will not ever be beaten (which is different as I described above).

I took it as which record is the most unlikely to be broken which I see differently that toughest to complete.

So based on the actual poll question "Which is toughest to break?"  I would agree that three consecutive  no hitters is the answer. 
thought the pole made it clear:

"Toughest To Achieve"

and the bolded speaks to the gist of my query - ergo, it shoulda been your vote. 

:shrug:

I'll go with b2b2b no hitters. 

But does anyone think a team will beat:

5/6/1934 - Red Sox score 12 runs in 4th inning including record 4 consecutive triples hit by Carl Reynolds, Moose Solters, Rick Ferrell, and Bucky Walters

I'd think at that point they'd start intentionally walking a player.

It's not a no hitter for the pitcher if he doesn't pitch a complete game - the record he was speaking about was the pitcher's record not a team throwing back to back no-hitters.
maybe a couple rain outs after 5 innings could set up a complete game no-hit scenario that doesn't require as many innings but still be a complete game.  Anyway, at least a pitcher takes the mound three games in a row and has the potential to accomplish the task simply because of opportunity.  How many players even played 162 games last year?  They are intentionally given days off.   Sure a pitcher is likely to be pulled before completing the back to back to back, but if he is rolling with low pitch counts and/or game is shortened but still complete as I describe above, there is a chance...

maybe a couple rain outs after 5 innings could set up a complete game no-hit scenario that doesn't require as many innings but still be a complete game.  Anyway, at least a pitcher takes the mound three games in a row and has the potential to accomplish the task simply because of opportunity.  How many players even played 162 games last year?  They are intentionally given days off.   Sure a pitcher is likely to be pulled before completing the back to back to back, but if he is rolling with low pitch counts and/or game is shortened but still complete as I describe above, there is a chance...
... and yet, after all these years, nobody's done back to back (even with an abbreviated game), let alone three in a row  :popcorn:

thought the pole made it clear:

"Toughest To Achieve"

and the bolded speaks to the gist of my query - ergo, it shoulda been your vote. 

:shrug:
Guilty.    I jumped to conclusions and didn't actually think about what was being asked.  I read the OP and made my own poll question in my head to answer.

I didn't say it was likely...
understood 

but cotdamn is it untouchable or what?

Guilty.    I jumped to conclusions and didn't actually think about what was being asked.  I read the OP and made my own poll question in my head to answer.
too much snipe on the brain  :shrug:

Vander Meer??
sure. 

what i meant was no one else did back to back to even challenge him. 

Leroy Hoard said:
I agree with the 3 straight no hitters being the hardest.

"2,663 Consecutive Games Played" is literally a participation trophy.
Just because the task itself does not require anything special does not mean it is achievable. How many baseball players even get a 16 year career? Then when you get to that small pool of players, you need to not miss a single game, of which you play almost half of the days every year. 

I agree 3 no hitters is not going to happen, but you get a chance to start that over every game you play. Get sick one day and the consecutive game streak is out of reach forever (unless it is your first game or something). 

Just because the task itself does not require anything special does not mean it is achievable. How many baseball players even get a 16 year career? Then when you get to that small pool of players, you need to not miss a single game, of which you play almost half of the days every year. 

I agree 3 no hitters is not going to happen, but you get a chance to start that over every game you play. Get sick one day and the consecutive game streak is out of reach forever (unless it is your first game or something). 
you don't need to play 9 innings to qualify ... hell, if ya had to play a full 9 innings 2,633 straight times then i'd rank it over Cy Young. 

all ya gotta do is appear in a game (1/2 inning in the field, or one official at bat) to register as officially "played" 

it's not as Herculian as most are allowing  :shrug:

you don't need to play 9 innings to qualify ... hell, if ya had to play a full 9 innings 2,633 straight times then i'd rank it with Cy Young. 

but all ya gotta do is appear in a game (1/2 inning in the field, or one official at bat) to qualify. 

it's not as Herculian as most are allowing  :shrug:
The better question is whether or not it is Ruthian

Let's get a little more specific on what counts for each of these records...

No-hitter = An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.  In 1991, the Major League Baseball Committee for Statistical Accuracy adopted those definitions for a no-hitter. Previously recognized no-hitters, those with fewer than nine innings, or those where the first hit was allowed after the ninth were removed from the record set.

Based on the above, there have been 303 no-hitters since 1876.  Of those, 289 have been completed by a single pitcher.  And, of those 289, Johnny's back-to-back games qualify.  Fun fact - the first no-hitter by multiple pitchers occurred in 1917.  The first pitcher faced one batter, walked him, then punched the umpire and got ejected.  In came Ernie Shore.  After the runner was thrown out attempting to steal second base, Shore retired the next 26 batters.  For a while it was considered a perfect game, but later changed to a no-hitter.  And who was that pitcher who got tossed?  None other than Babe Ruth.

Hit streak = A hit occurs when a batter strikes the baseball into fair territory and reaches base without doing so via an error or a fielder's choice. There are four types of hits in baseball: singles, doubles, triples and home runs.  If a player is thrown out attempting to take an extra base (e.g., turning a single into a double), that still counts as a hit.  Hits are also credited to the batter when the ball takes an awkward bounce that a defender cannot field (provided the scorer rules that the batter didn't reach base with the help of an error).

Game played = A player is credited with having played a game if he appears in it at any point -- be it as a starter or a replacement. It's important to note that the player doesn't necessarily need an at-bat. He can also enter for defense or as a pinch-runner.

I got these definitions at MLB.com.

Congrats to Cal for his "perfect attendance".  Oh, I forgot to add, Cal's lifetime batting average in September, when it mattered most, is a dismal .246.

Users who are viewing this thread